ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game @ the Pete & Other Dribbles ...

ive done a 180 on Jeffress. i think him and austin might be the way to go with post players going forward. sprinkle in some G on occasion..

I think Jeffress might have more offensive game than we give him credit for. Not calling him a "scorer" but he can hit a 10' jump shot and seems to have some good "off ball" sense.

Yeah, basically that means he cuts to the hoop at the right time and gets some easy baskets and actually finishes them cause he can catch a bounce pass in the paint..

Austin and Jeffress are fine for a 5th scoring option. You absolutely cannot rely on them to score. So if Levance Fields is your PG, Gibbs is your SG, Young is your PF, and Blair is your C then yes, Austin and Jeffress are fine as the 5th starter. If you dont have those other guys need to rely on them, you are in trouble

Reactions: rockypanther
ive done a 180 on Jeffress. i think him and austin might be the way to go with post players going forward. sprinkle in some G on occasion..

I think Jeffress might have more offensive game than we give him credit for. Not calling him a "scorer" but he can hit a 10' jump shot and seems to have some good "off ball" sense.

Yeah, basically that means he cuts to the hoop at the right time and gets some easy baskets and actually finishes them cause he can catch a bounce pass in the paint..
Nah

Federiko and the twins are the 3 stooges of pitt basketball, they look like a comedy skit out there. i always wondered what the love affair you guys had with federiko, he's brutally bad out there.

i said it in another thread, when we lost kante and you guys said no big deal, we have G and Fedo, i literally couldnt tell if you were being sarcastic and forgot the font. Needless to say, that aged well.

Kante was barely a top 100 player. At the 5, that type of rating usually spells redshirt or minimal contribution.

I mean… who is good on this team.

I wish I could find the guy who wanted to fight me saying the worthless twins would be leaving for NIL money after last year smh
people on this board said carrington was going top 5 in the draft after we beat IUPIUII or whatever school he had a triple double against..

Of course the same posters that said that are the ones that told us Xavier Johnson is going to the nba after his freshman season at pitt too. 6 years later, dude is still in college as a backup point guard.

I think you could be right about Jeffress. I like that kid and he gives everything he has in the game, especially on defense. If he could score 6 - 8 ppg combined with his rebounding and defense, he could really help this team.

I think you could be right about Jeffress. I like that kid and he gives everything he has in the game, especially on defense. If he could score 6 - 8 ppg combined with his rebounding and defense, he could really help this team.
i just like his awareness on offense, made some really good cuts last night and can finish, almost like a Chevy Troutman-light version.

seems like he has a pretty little jump shot from the 8 - 12' range too. obviously really good on defense too. Honestly, watching federiko fail at walking and chewing gum at the same time, it's time to try something else.

what is there to lose at this point..

Even with Lowe, everything he got was him going one on one. At the commercial break with 9-1/2 minutes left to go in the game our starting point guard had played 23 minutes and had the exact same number of assists that you did. It's great that in the second half he started getting his own, but it would be a lot better if he was getting everyone else theirs instead.

He ended up with three assists, and two of them were in the last 40 seconds of the game. That isn't good enough.
It's hard to get assists when no one on your team can shoot.

I thought starting Lowe and moving Carrington off the ball was supposed to free Bub up. Free him up to miss shots I guess.

Has anyone on the coaching staff explained to the twins that they are not playing on the perimeter due to their dribble drive skill?

people on this board said carrington was going top 5 in the draft after we beat IUPIUII or whatever school he had a triple double against..

Of course the same posters that said that are the ones that told us Xavier Johnson is going to the nba after his freshman season at pitt too. 6 years later, dude is still in college as a backup point guard.
In fairness, it wasn't necessarily "people on this board" who said that about Carrington. For the most part, it was people repeating what was on mock draft boards. And the belief was that the people on the mock draft boards are connected to scouts, etc. And in his first few games, Bub looked pretty good so it wasn't so outrageous to believe those who had them high on the draft boards.

Of course, now these projections look way too high because he simply does not look like a very good shooter and has a difficult time drawing any contact at all.

Fede can't even dunk the basketball right now. He is soft in everything he does. His hands are allergic to the basketball. Jorge should not be playing at this level. He ends up turning the ball over almost every time. G has some skill but needs to stay in the paint. It doesn't seem like any offense is being run on most possessions either. Maybe Capel can call a set every now and then.....

Reactions: PittPoker
I think we all know Capel isn’t the answer. The question becomes when does this end and who do we bring in next?
This 💯.

For all the talk about the shortcomings of the players, which are real and many, the real gaping hole on this team is at head coach, for the reasons I've posted before. The lack of any kind of structure or discipline offensively is appalling. Just about every shot this team takes--especially Hinson and Carrington-- is the type of shot that would cause real coaches to pull guys off the floor immediately. Low percentage, defended, far from the basket, early in the possession.

Expect nothing to improve in any meaningful way until a change is made at HC.

Last edited:
This 💯.

For all the talk about the shortcomings of the players, which real and many, the real gaping hole on this team is at head coach, for the reasons I've posted before. The lack of any kind of structure or discipline offensively is appalling. Just about every shot this team takes--especially Hinson and Carrington-- is the type of shot that real coaches would pull guys off the floor immediately. Low percentage, defended, far from the basket, early in the possession.

Expect nothing to improve in any meaningful way until a change is made at HC.

We dont get easy shots. Everything is a contested jump shot.

We dont get easy shots. Everything is a contested jump shot.

And if those aren't falling, just keep shooting, even it's contested and you don't have as good a look as the shot before? Because that's basically what Blake & Bub are doing at this point.

At times, it looks as if Bub just jacks up a bad shot early in the possession so he can do it before Hinson does.

Burton could reel Blake in last year. This year, there is a leadership void. Coaches have to reel that in.

And if those aren't falling, just keep shooting, even it's contested and you don't have as good a look as the shot before? Because that's basically what Blake & Bub are doing at this point.

At times, it looks as if Bub just jacks up a bad shot early in the possession so he can do it before Hinson does.

Burton could reel Blake in last year. This year, there is a leadership void. Coaches have to reel that in.

This is what happens when you have freshmen guards. I doubt there are any NCAAT teams who play freshmen as much at guards as we do. You cant do it. Needed Joe Girard

FF: "Wait, what? Catch the ball in the paint? Finish an easy basket? Well why didn't someone tell me that before? I thought the goal was to catch the ball under the basket, have all the defenders fall away from you, and then instead of just jumping up and dunking the ball, step out of bounds while looking for someone, anyone, to pass the ball to."

A dude on Twitter said Fede doesn’t like to practice and parties and drinks too much. No clue if true. But Seems like a reasonable explanation to me. He has been awful.

In fairness, it wasn't necessarily "people on this board" who said that about Carrington. For the most part, it was people repeating what was on mock draft boards. And the belief was that the people on the mock draft boards are connected to scouts, etc. And in his first few games, Bub looked pretty good so it wasn't so outrageous to believe those who had them high on the draft boards.

Of course, now these projections look way too high because he simply does not look like a very good shooter and has a difficult time drawing any contact at all.
With all due respect people went off the deep end because he was shooting well against weak teams. Once he faced tougher opposition early on it because apparent the kids handle wasn’t that great and he needed to hit the weight room. Hes not as bad as the O fer game against the cuse but he’s far from an NBA prospect. He has a ton of work to do to build up his body and develop a much better handle to go to the hoop and finish before he’s even close to being and NBA talent I’m not sure that will happen with this staff

Yea, but he worked his butt off. He couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time when he got here.
Yep as he was in horrible shape when he arrived. He may have drank a good bit but clearly put in the time working on getting in shape and on his game.

Yea, but he worked his butt off. He couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time when he got here.
Well that’s simply not true
His skills were always there , including soft hands
His conditioning improved so he could play longer stretches

The point is-
Partying has nothing to do with Productivity

I mean he late 90s to 2000s teams I can tell you from first hand experience partied a lot .

The point is-

I mean he late 90s to 2000s teams I can tell you from first hand experience partied a lot .

In the late 80's too. I will there in New York with the team at the Big East Championships in 88. Let's just say in know for a fact the one of our All-Americans was enjoying himself.

The point is-

There is a statue of Chevy Troutman in the Sorority dorms.

I agree on Gray. McGhee couldn't walk and chew gum. I totally thought he'd never turn into anything. Gray, you could see he had skill but needed a few years to develop. I viewed him as a legit starting BE Center as an upperclassmen. McGhee shocked me.

#6, #15, and #28 recruits in the country. That doesnt count.
Why doesn't it count?? You make emphatic statements about how Freshman can't win in this environment. No exceptions. You are a hypocrite and a fraud. Freshman can either do it or they can't You think you can have it both ways. Oh wait that's the crap you pull with every subject you ruin on the board.

Reactions: FireballZ
Why doesn't it count?? You make emphatic statements about how Freshman can't win in this environment. No exceptions. You are a hypocrite and a fraud. Freshman can either do it or they can't You think you can have it both ways. Oh wait that's the crap you pull with every subject you ruin on the board.

Because I thought it was understood that the Mickey D's and 1 and done 1st rounders can make a positive difference. Is this rocket science here? Im not talking about Duke or Kentucky freshmen guards. You cant be Iowa or Pitt and play freshmen guards and get to the tournament unless you have some elite player somewhere else to make up for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT