ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game @ the Pete & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Several years ago, I really enjoyed coaching my Kid's grade school basketball team.

** During the better seasons back in the day, I would even take some of my kid's teammates to games and use this to show some of the things they could do to improve. Things like passing the basketball, moving without the ball, moving your feet on defense, giving fullest effort, and playing as a team.

** Now that my Kid is a freshman at William & Mary, I've started coaching another grade school team purely for the enjoyment.
'
** Before this season, I even thought I may take some of the kids to a Pitt game so that they might pick up a thing or two.

** Unfortunately, if any of my kids had gone with me to tonight's game, the only thing they may have learned was what not to do.

** Well, that's not completely true. Perhaps they might have been inspired by Jaland Lowe. Here's a kid who has gotten better all season long, and was really the only Panther who played with any passion.

** Will is the only other guy who could have offered an example of a young man making the most of his very limited offensive skills.

** The rest? There's really no one who offered much.

** But the guy who really needs to do some soul searching is Coach Capel.

** I honestly have no idea whatsoever what we were trying to do offensively. It wasn't just bad shooting. It was really bad offense

** Most of our trips showed little beyond a weak ball screen, followed by a pass or two then a weak jump shot. We don't create shots at all. We don't move without the ball or share the ball very much. This leads to plenty of bad shots like we shot tonight. And at times we shot as bad as my grade school team.

** Even the guy who shot at halftime for $100 in Lottery Tickets made 2-3 from deep.

** Sure, Jaland broke some guys down off the dribble leading to layups and most of our points in the paint. But very rarely does a pass lead to points in the paint.

** It's really tough to watch us on the offensive end.

** It's hardest to watch Bub on the offensive end. Most of us, including me, though Jaland's emergence and Bub's move to the 2 would help . But it seems to have hurt Bub. I just don't get it.

** Nearly all of our early season optimism was based on Bub. Even if he wasn't a one and done player, if he is just a guy with a pro future, that seemed like it was really good news for our Panthers. But if you take away Bub's first four games, he's shooting 18-84 from 3. That's 21%.

** I'm not even going to try to break down Blake. Not long ago, he looked like an All-American. Now he'd struggle to make Honorable Mention ACC.

** The very poor performance on the offensive end left the Panthers needing to play some defense to win this game, and they didn't show any passion on that end either.

** So that's about all I can say about our Panthers tonight. But on Thursday night, I look forward to watching my young grade schoolers get better. They don't shoot very well. But I know they will do their best. Maybe I should invite our Panthers to watch them instead.

Good luck to your young grade schoolers, DT. That may be the highlight of your basketball viewing this week. I'm sure it will be.

The Panthers have shown they cannot play any type of offensive or defensive schemes at all. Other than Jaland, who always will be my favorite Panther on this team, and Jeffress at times, this team was completely devoid of any skill on either end of the floor. I don't know exactly how many assists they had on the few baskets they made, and I don't want to look. I don't think it would be good.

I don't know how to root for this team any longer. We used to be able to walk in The Pete at home games knowing we'd probably win. We're back to knowing we have to score at least 80 points to even have a chance to win. And that's not guaranteed. In fact, we're not going to score more than 80 the rest of the year, in all likelihood.

Where do we go from here? I don't know. It will become deflating for me when I don't care.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Showing your kids how poorly you can play without a purpose, desire and a plan is also a valuable lesson .

Bub has gone from a lottery pick to an overmatched freshman!

** Several years ago, I really enjoyed coaching my Kid's grade school basketball team. During the better seasons back in the day, I would even take some of my kid's teammates to games and use this to show some of the things they could do to improve. Things like passing the basketball, giving fullest effort, and playing as a team.

** Now that my Kid is a freshman at William & Mary, I've started coaching another grade school team purely for the enjoyment.
'
** Before this season, I even thought I may take some of the kids to a Pitt game so that they might pick up a thing or two.

** Unfortunately, if any of my kids had gone with me to tonight's game, the only thing they may have learned was what not to do.

** Well, that's not completely true. Perhaps they might have been inspired by Jaland Lowe. Here's a kid who has gotten better all season long, and was really the only Panther who played with any passion.

** Will is the only other guy who could have offered an example of a young man making the most of his very limited offensive skills.

** I honestly have no idea whatsoever what we were trying to do offensively. It wasn't just bad shooting. It was really bad offense

** Most of our trips showed little beyond a weak ball screen, followed by a pass or two then a weak jump shot. We don't create shots at all. We don't move or share the ball very much. This leads to plenty of bad shots like we shot tonight. And at times we shot as bad as my grade school team.

** Even the guy who shot at halftime for $100 in Lottery Tickets made 2-3 from deep.

** Sure, Jaland broke some guys down off the dribble leading to layups and most of our points in the paint. But very rarely does a pass lead to points in the paint.

** It's hardest to watch Bub on the offensive end. Most of us, including me, though Jaland's emergence and Bub's move to the 2 would help . But it seems to have hurt Bub. I just don't get it.

** Nearly all of our early season optimism was based on Bub. Even if he wasn't a one and done player, if he is just a guy with a pro future, that seemed like it was really good news for our Panthers. But if you take away Bub's first four games, he's shooting 18-84 from 3. That's 21%.

** I'm not even going to try to break down Blake. Not long ago, he looked like an All-American. Now he'd struggle to make Honorable Mention ACC.

** The very poor performance left the Panthers needing to play some defense to win this game, and they didn't show any passion on that end either.

** So that's about all I can say about our Panthers tonight. But on Thursday night, I look forward to watching my young grade schoolers get better. They don't shoot very well. But I know they will do their best. Maybe I should invite our Panthers to watch them instead.

Just wow. I cant believe we are THIS bad. We are going to be 1-9 when ND visits on Feb 3. I really thought this was an NCAAT team. Instead, we appear to be headed for something like 3-17. And there is a magic number. We all said Capel was guaranteed next year but none of us envisioned a 2-18 - 4-16 type season. I would have to believe if Capel wins fewer than 5 ACC games, he's gone.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
** Several years ago, I really enjoyed coaching my Kid's grade school basketball team. During the better seasons back in the day, I would even take some of my kid's teammates to games and use this to show some of the things they could do to improve. Things like passing the basketball, giving fullest effort, and playing as a team.

'

** Most of our trips showed little beyond a weak ball screen, followed by a pass or two then a weak jump shot. We don't create shots at all. We don't move or share the ball very much. This leads to plenty of bad shots like we shot tonight. And at times we shot as bad as my grade school team.

** The very poor performance left the Panthers needing to play some defense to win this game, and they didn't show any passion on that end either.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if your grade school team ran better actions on O to get good shots. And if you say you don’t have the kids running anything, guess what? it’s then equal to the Pitt O.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Good luck to your young grade schoolers, DT. That may be the highlight of your basketball viewing this week. I'm sure it will be.

The Panthers have shown they cannot play any type of offensive or defensive schemes at all. Other than Jaland, who always will be my favorite Panther on this team, and Jeffress at times, this team was completely devoid of any skill on either end of the floor. I don't know exactly how many assists they had on the few baskets they made, and I don't want to look. I don't think it would be good.

I don't know how to root for this team any longer. We used to be able to walk in The Pete at home games knowing we'd probably win. We're back to knowing we have to score at least 80 points to even have a chance to win. And that's not guaranteed. In fact, we're not going to score more than 80 the rest of the year, in all likelihood.

Where do we go from here? I don't know. It will become deflating for me when I don't care.

3 point defense

@ Lou 48%
Duke 44%
Syr 59%

Syr only shot 15-36 from 2 for 42%. That's bad. But we refuse to defend the 3. I dont know that there's an answer. This team cannot defend perimeter shooters.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if your grade school team ran better actions on O to get good shots. And if you say you don’t have the kids running anything, guess what? it’s then equal to the Pitt O.
Basically I said the same thing to my seat mates during tonight’s game.

And the D wasn’t any better. When playing zone, the Panthers allowed the Cuse to freely dribble to elbow to make an uncontested jumper. In Zone. Twice.

Reactions: 4upmc

That dude had about the ugliest shot ever. He looked like a eight year old who has trouble getting the ball all the way up to the basket!

This team can win games when "the other guys" are shooting 19-38 from the field and 3-8 from three. But this team isn't going to beat anyone, or at least anyone with a pulse, with Hinson going 4-17, 2-11 and Carrington going 0-10, 0-7, for a combined 4-27 from the field and 2-18 from three. Those guys simply cannot shoot anywhere near that bad for this team to have any chance to win.

Just wow. I cant believe we are THIS bad. We are going to be 1-9 when ND visits on Feb 3. I really thought this was an NCAAT team. Instead, we appear to be headed for something like 3-17. And there is a magic number. We all said Capel was guaranteed next year but none of us envisioned a 2-18 - 4-16 type season. I would have to believe if Capel wins fewer than 5 ACC games, he's gone.
If so, it will be for the best. I think I've pretty much lost any faith in him.

Reactions: brickfhouse
That dude had about the ugliest shot ever. He looked like a eight year old who has trouble getting the ball all the way up to the basket!

This team can win games when "the other guys" are shooting 19-38 from the field and 3-8 from three. But this team isn't going to beat anyone, or at least anyone with a pulse, with Hinson going 4-17, 2-11 and Carrington going 0-10, 0-7, for a combined 4-27 from the field and 2-18 from three. Those guys simply cannot shoot anywhere near that bad for this team to have any chance to win.
The problem is, it’s all about their shooting. We don’t even pass to get shots anymore.

Reactions: rockypanther
** Several years ago, I really enjoyed coaching my Kid's grade school basketball team.

** During the better seasons back in the day, I would even take some of my kid's teammates to games and use this to show some of the things they could do to improve. Things like passing the basketball, moving without the ball, moving your feet on defense, giving fullest effort, and playing as a team.

'

** The very poor performance on the offensive end left the Panthers needing to play some defense to win this game, and they didn't show any passion on that end either.

Good luck with your team, DT!

This team just does not know how to work hard and dig deep. When things start to go south, they try to go one on one and that results in tons of forced, bad shots.

The Twins can’t even hold the ball in their hands for a second before immediately losing it to a tougher player. My guess is that u you our team could do a good job of defending them.

Lowe has been great and fun to watch and Will had a nice game. The rest have been putrid, led by Bub and Blake. Bub continues to make bad decision after bad decision.

Fede could have easily had double figure points, but he is playing so timid and scared. Had an early chance for a dunk and waited on the defender and then went up.

At least Ish gives effort and actually is invested in the team.

And the D wasn’t any better. When playing zone, the Panthers allowed the Cuse to freely dribble to elbow to make an uncontested jumper. In Zone. Twice.
How about Pitt’s feeble attempt against the cuse zone at the end of the first half? Truly the depths of despair

Reactions: 20-20Hindsight
If so, it will be for the best. I think I've pretty much lost any faith in him.

This cant happen. We made the NCAAT. You returned 2 starters and its expected you do work in the portal. Losing Girard to Clemson was a killer. Losing Thomasson was big. But there's still enough there. You cant revert back. This is bad.

I think we all know Capel isn’t the answer. The question becomes when does this end and who do we bring in next?

Crowds like tonight will expedite the process. Pitt announced 7,708. That isn't even close to the real number. And that's for a game against Syracuse. That's usually one of our best sellers of the year.

And that's not just well, it was a cold night, there were a lot of no shows. I looked at the map of available seats earlier this afternoon and there weren't anywhere close to that many tickets sold/distributed. Actual people in the house, that 7,708 number may have been the number of eyeballs watching the game. Probably not that many, but probably at least kinda close.

The crowds keep dwindling to nothing as the season goes on and it will make it a lot easier to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Eastern Eight

Horrible on both ends.

Copeland for Cuse is not a star, not the most skilled, but watching him in the 2 Pitt games he could have played for the old JD/Ben teams because he’s a tough Philly kid who has that DOG in him. He jumped on the floor for a loose ball with all 5 Pitt players swiping at him, but not diving on it. And he got up among the little pushes and shoves knowing there wasn’t a damn thing a Pitt player was going to do cause he knew as we all know this Pitt team is soft as hell. Last year Burton was a dog, Cummings had heart but the team this year 🤦‍♂️.

The problem is, it’s all about their shooting. We don’t even pass to get shots anymore.

Even with Lowe, everything he got was him going one on one. At the commercial break with 9-1/2 minutes left to go in the game our starting point guard had played 23 minutes and had the exact same number of assists that you did. It's great that in the second half he started getting his own, but it would be a lot better if he was getting everyone else theirs instead.

He ended up with three assists, and two of them were in the last 40 seconds of the game. That isn't good enough.

Even with Lowe, everything he got was him going one on one. At the commercial break with 9-1/2 minutes left to go in the game our starting point guard had played 23 minutes and had the exact same number of assists that you did. It's great that in the second half he started getting his own, but it would be a lot better if he was getting everyone else theirs instead.

He ended up with three assists, and two of them were in the last 40 seconds of the game. That isn't good enough.
Last time I checked, assists required the teammate catching the pass to shoot and score.

Crowds like tonight will expedite the process. Pitt announced 7,708. That isn't even close to the real number. And that's for a game against Syracuse. That's usually one of our best sellers of the year.

And that's not just well, it was a cold night, there were a lot of no shows. I looked at the map of available seats earlier this afternoon and there weren't anywhere close to that many tickets sold/distributed. Actual people in the house, that 7,708 number may have been the number of eyeballs watching the game. Probably not that many, but probably at least kinda close.

The crowds keep dwindling to nothing as the season goes on and it will make it a lot easier to pull the trigger.
3,854 might have been a pretty accurate count of the attendance. And that included another good showing by the Zoo. They were pretty strong once again tonight all things considered.

You must have missed DT's assist - he passed the nachos to his son. That is a fan assist.

The crowd was probably 4500. Maybe 5000. Probably the worst crowd of the Capel era, all things being equal. I say that because heading into this game, the team still had a glimmer of hope for an NCAAT bid and Syracuse is a big rival. Friggin WVU sold out their win over Texas Saturday and the Pedo Center was live tonight for their 9PM win over #11 Wisconsin and we cant even fill the student section for Syracuse. I had an extra ticket to this game. I asked a friend of mine who was probably the biggest Pitt fan I ever met to go and he said no. Too cold and he doesn't like this team. This is a guy who was had season tickets for 10-15 years. Sold it on Stubhub for $5. $5 for Syracuse.

I am 100% giving up my season tickets next year. And not necessarily because of Capel. They are far too expensive compared to their market value. If I cant make a game, i dont get back what I should. I have to miss a few more ACC games and I'm going to take a bath when I sell them. I'll go back to doing what I did for Stallings and Capel I. I'll just buy Stubhub tickets for $10 lowers for the cupcakes and $25 for ACC. I'll skip Duke and UNC.

I said several games into our blowouts that Mizzou would beat us and we didn’t have very good players. This team may be his worst effort. I’d love to think we move on, but unfortunately I think we run it back.

The ball washers will tell you 2035 is the year. It’s hilarious how they accused me of going missing during last year, when I would comment on every post, start posts and be in the game threads. Now I don’t even bother to watch the games. Pathetic.

The crowd was probably 4500. Maybe 5000. Probably the worst crowd of the Capel era, all things being equal. I say that because heading into this game, the team still had a glimmer of hope for an NCAAT bid and Syracuse is a big rival. Friggin WVU sold out their win over Texas Saturday and the Pedo Center was live tonight for their 9PM win over #11 Wisconsin and we cant even fill the student section for Syracuse. I had an extra ticket to this game. I asked a friend of mine who was probably the biggest Pitt fan I ever met to go and he said no. Too cold and he doesn't like this team. This is a guy who was had season tickets for 10-15 years. Sold it on Stubhub for $5. $5 for Syracuse.

I am 100% giving up my season tickets next year. And not necessarily because of Capel. They are far too expensive compared to their market value. If I cant make a game, i dont get back what I should. I have to miss a few more ACC games and I'm going to take a bath when I sell them. I'll go back to doing what I did for Stallings and Capel I. I'll just buy Stubhub tickets for $10 lowers for the cupcakes and $25 for ACC. I'll skip Duke and UNC.

I don't think it will be difficult to get tickets wherever you want if Capel is still coaching next year. Why have season's tickets? Go to a few games and sit in the lower bowl in great seats. It's not the Howland/Dixon years any longer.

I said several games into our blowouts that Mizzou would beat us and we didn’t have very good players. This team may be his worst effort. I’d love to think we move on, but unfortunately I think we run it back.

The ball washers will tell you 2035 is the year. It’s hilarious how they accused me of going missing during last year, when I would comment on every post, start posts and be in the game threads. Now I don’t even bother to watch the games. Pathetic.

I really like Capel as a person and appreciate what he did last season but this definitely has to be his worst coaching job. Florida and Missouri are a combined 1-7 in the SEC. Our only wins over P6 teams are against almost literally the 3 worst in Oregon St, Lou, and the version of WVU we played who didnt have Battle, Kriisa, and Farrakhan, who are averaging 43 PPG combined.

I don't think it will be difficult to get tickets wherever you want if Capel is still coaching next year. Why have season's tickets? Go to a few games and sit in the lower bowl in great seats. It's not the Howland/Dixon years any longer.

Yea. Stupid me. I believed in this team and wanted to support them and I thought the "deal" I got was fair. I was wrong. Back to Stubhub it is.

'

** Most of our trips showed little beyond a weak ball screen, followed by a pass or two then a weak jump shot. We don't create shots at all. We don't move without the ball or share the ball very much. This leads to plenty of bad shots like we shot tonight. And at times we shot as bad as my grade school team.

How does your kid like William & Mary, and Williamsburg? My wife taught piano at W&M.

Kinda neat watching two Tribe alums/teammates go head to head in the playoffs yesterday.

If Louisville doesn't hire Cronin??? Whaddya think?

3,854 might have been a pretty accurate count of the attendance. And that included another good showing by the Zoo. They were pretty strong once again tonight all things considered.
Blake has a dad bod now. I looked at him a few times and it's obvious he put on 20 pounds in short order. Whether or not that has ruined his shooting abilities or confidence all of a sudden who knows. And I knew after watching Pitt play against Florida and Missouri they were gonna be a bottom feeder. A bottom 4 ACC team. Was told no way by just about everybody.

I guess I was wrong. They'll be the worst 2 teams in the conference, maybe the worst.

Time to buyout Capel and start over. It's a shame because I thought Pitt was turning the corner after last season. Now it's evident Capel hit lightning in a bottle and really truly SUCKS terribly as a head coach. 3 ACC wins is probably where they end up.

All in all, they seem like a great group of kids. The kind if your son was in school, you would hope these are his friends.

This program needs an injection of serious, tough kids. Not talking about thugs. But guys like Brandin or Levance or Julius, a Gary McGhee etc......guys who just hate to lose. A thug or two would be nice.

But it needs to stop smiling so much on court. It needs to be more serious and I doubt if these guys can be those guys.

Federiko and the twins are the 3 stooges of pitt basketball, they look like a comedy skit out there. i always wondered what the love affair you guys had with federiko, he's brutally bad out there.

i said it in another thread, when we lost kante and you guys said no big deal, we have G and Fedo, i literally couldnt tell if you were being sarcastic and forgot the font. Needless to say, that aged well.

With a full week to prepare for Cuse -
I just shook my head at how we definitely had not a single thing new prepared .
This game made me simply give up on Capel again .

That’s all I have to say about it .

Federiko and the twins are the 3 stooges of pitt basketball, they look like a comedy skit out there. i always wondered what the love affair you guys had with federiko, he's brutally bad out there.

i said it in another thread, when we lost kante and you guys said no big deal, we have G and Fedo, i literally couldnt tell if you were being sarcastic and forgot the font. Needless to say, that aged well.
G has played pretty well when he’s in the paint-
When he floats - forget it

Fede is just terrible at everything lately

I thought Fede was legitimately good last season. I thought he could take that next step to become a borderline star. I dont know what happened to him. He became Terrell Brown. A friend of mine once described Terrell Brown as a guy who doesn't really likes basketball but everyone said he should play because he is tall. That is what Federiko reminds me of. He is playing as badly as Brown, Chukwuka, Derrick Randall, Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, etc.

All in all, they seem like a great group of kids. The kind if your son was in school, you would hope these are his friends.

This program needs an injection of serious, tough kids. Not talking about thugs. But guys like Brandin or Levance or Julius, a Gary McGhee etc......guys who just hate to lose. A thug or two would be nice.

But it needs to stop smiling so much on court. It needs to be more serious and I doubt if these guys can be those guys.
We've had thugs. They stole cars and hit women. You need actually tough kids.

We've had thugs. They stole cars and hit women. You need actually tough kids.

Thugs aren't tough kids. Thugs are usually cowards. We need hard-nosed, intense kids who work hard and play hard.

I think there is some talent on this team. Jaland is outstanding but not being coached. No talent in the post. Bub could be a decent player with some development but he won't get that with Capel. The rest of the guys show some talent in spurts, but slink away when challenged by an opponent. Jeffress has some toughness in him, but lacks the sheer talent.

If we had a good coach, even a middle of the road coach, I think this team could have won 18 games or even 20 games. But with Capel, I doubt we win 13 total. He's proven he's a really bad coach and he needs to go. How many more data points and games does Lyke need to prove that point?

Thugs aren't tough kids. Thugs are usually cowards. We need hard-nosed, intense kids who work hard and play hard.

I think there is some talent on this team. Jaland is outstanding but not being coached. No talent in the post. Bub could be a decent player with some development but he won't get that with Capel. The rest of the guys show some talent in spurts, but slink away when challenged by an opponent. Jeffress has some toughness in him, but lacks the sheer talent.

If we had a good coach, even a middle of the road coach, I think this team could have won 18 games or even 20 games. But with Capel, I doubt we win 13 total. He's proven he's a really bad coach and he needs to go. How many more data points and games does Lyke need to prove that point?
ive done a 180 on Jeffress. i think him and austin might be the way to go with post players going forward. sprinkle in some G on occasion..

I think Jeffress might have more offensive game than we give him credit for. Not calling him a "scorer" but he can hit a 10' jump shot and seems to have some good "off ball" sense.

Yeah, basically that means he cuts to the hoop at the right time and gets some easy baskets and actually finishes them cause he can catch a bounce pass in the paint..

Reactions: PittPharm2002
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT