ADVERTISEMENT

Young needs to post-up more

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He went from playing exclusively on the low block under Dixon to being essentially a SF shooting exclusively jump shots. I always thought Young was a pretty good low post player. Stallings need to draw some stuff up to get him iso'd in the low block.

Another thing, I'd like to see is the high pick and roll with Artis and Young. How wouldn't that work? I'm not sure they'vr done that once this year.

I agree that, in general, Pitt could use some post offense; however, Young is overmatched by many ACC big men. When starting on the block, he is not tall enough or wide/long/explosive enough.

As I recall, he sometimes did okay opposite Adams/Zanna but not consistently when running the offense through him in the low post.

Last edited:
Seems like they post him up when the opportunity/matchup is there. They definitely made a point to do it against UVa. No way no how would he have had any success trying to post up on Louisville's big men. Sounds like Miami will be the same situation.

Seems like they post him up when the opportunity/matchup is there. They definitely made a point to do it against UVa. No way no how would he have had any success trying to post up on Louisville's big men. Sounds like Miami will be the same situation.
Mike Young is very ineffective trying to post up against teams with taller guys inside. Case in point was the Louisville game. He tried early to be effective inside and only managed to turn it over or get his shots blocked. He ends up trying to play like a 2 guard and he can't do that either. Face it. Until Pitt vastly improves at the point and at the 5 position we will continue to be an up and down team. I think Stallings has found some future help at guard but we definitely need to find some bigs who are athletic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT