ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson

A few books in town had props up on him tonight. Most I saw had points + rebounds at 19.5, which looked absolutely dead for 3+ quarters.

A few books in town had props up on him tonight. Most I saw had points + rebounds at 19.5, which looked absolutely dead for 3+ quarters.
He sure is fun to watch once he gets rolling. He busted that with his little 7 minute stretch in the 4th Q.

Reactions: BFo8
Alvin Gentry is an idiot. Not fouling, and then calling his last TO when they could have gotten out on a fast break. The whole minute restriction thing is silly when you have a chance to win as well. They had the momentum.

Heck of a debut. He’s an electric player.

But I’d still take Morant.

Has Zion lost weight? They were saying at one point he may have been close to 300 pounds prior to the knee injury. This is a guy who I don't believe can have a very long career unless he gets himself into top level shape. He has all the tools, but he cannot have a long career if he doesn't take care of the weight.

Reactions: caleco's
I like Morant slightly better just because I believe basketball has become more about who has the ball and what they can do with it and I think Ja's skills in that regard are a bit better. Plus, he seems more like the underdog since he's smaller and skinny. Zion is basically like watching Hulk. I do think NO is a good spot for him and he'll be on the receiving end of some nice action from Ball, who really is an underrated distributor.

Alvin Gentry is an idiot. Not fouling, and then calling his last TO when they could have gotten out on a fast break. The whole minute restriction thing is silly when you have a chance to win as well. They had the momentum.

Less that Gentry is an idiot and more that head coaches have less power now than GM's who tell them they must follow the restrictions no matter what.

Reactions: cease10
He was in his first game back from a rough injury. Everyone else has played 40+ games. It is understandable that they would not want him to come in and play 30+ minutes.

They can afford to lose a few games as he builds his strength (a strength that cannot be built alone on practicing). They cannot afford to put too much load on their centerpiece and have him hurt himself and not be available for another year or so.

He was in his first game back from a rough injury. Everyone else has played 40+ games. It is understandable that they would not want him to come in and play 30+ minutes.

They can afford to lose a few games as he builds his strength (a strength that cannot be built alone on practicing). They cannot afford to put too much load on their centerpiece and have him hurt himself and not be available for another year or so.
1) NO was down 2 scores with 32 seconds left, and did not foul. Bad coaching.

2) Ball gets the rebound and was around the 3 point line about to get on the fast break, and he called his last time out. Bad Coaching.

3) Zion played a total of 18 minutes. He was rested and could have played the last 2 minutes. SA could not stop him in the 4th Q.

Last edited:
1) NO was down 2 scores with 32 seconds left, and did not foul. Bad coaching.

2) Ball gets the rebound and was around the 3 point line about to get on the fast break, and he called his last time out. Bad Coaching.

3) Zion played a total of 18 minutes. He was rested and could have played the last 2 minutes. SA could not stop him in the 4th Q.
Yep agree much like those moronic pitch counts in MLB and “resting” guys in the NBA who get paid $30,000,0000 a year to play roughly 100 games of basketball in the prime of their lives. Comical

Yep agree much like those moronic pitch counts in MLB and “resting” guys in the NBA who get paid $30,000,0000 a year to play roughly 100 games of basketball in the prime of their lives. Comical

100 basketball games in a 250 day span is FAR FAR FAR too many. If anything, these guys should be playing way fewer games than they are already resting for

Reactions: Ski11585
100 basketball games in a 250 day span is FAR FAR FAR too many. If anything, these guys should be playing way fewer games than they are already resting for
Gimme a break - they’re in superlative shape surrounded by trainers, chefs and masseuses - play the games that you get paid millions of dollars to or go get a real job like the rest of us - H2P!

Joe Ingles has missed three games in six years, I think all his rookie year, also while playing for Australia's national team and the Jazz playoff series. Which isn't a knock on Zion Willamson, who I think has a problem we've seen before: extremely athletic above the rim players who carry a lot of muscle like that will be superior players who will hurt their ankles or knees frequently.

When someone asked Andre Miller how he played like 20 years without getting hurt, he said "don't jump" . See also Nash, Dirk, Paul Pierce, Duncan, Jason Kidd. Play below the rim, stay healthy, but...you also have to be exceptional at playing below the rim.

21 and 11 today, and he isn’t even playing as many minutes as he will once he gets into game shape.

Reactions: BFo8
So let’s take a guy who could be the face of their franchise ( maybe the NBA once LJames retires ) for the next 10-15 yrs and rush him back into extended action after a knee injury . Sounds reasonable to me !

So let’s take a guy who could be the face of their franchise ( maybe the NBA once LJames retires ) for the next 10-15 yrs and rush him back into extended action after a knee injury . Sounds reasonable to me !
Wasn’t taking about Zion but rather guys like Kawhi who “rest” during the regular season. Some of you guys need to watch some old school legends on YouTube and see what real toughness and competition looks like. For reference one died tragically yesterday.

With the money these guys are being paid today it is smart to make sure they are fresh and ready to go when the competition gets real and tough in May.

Exactly! What could possibly go wrong?

Wasn’t taking about Zion but rather guys like Kawhi who “rest” during the regular season. Some of you guys need to watch some old school legends on YouTube and see what real toughness and competition looks like. For reference one died tragically yesterday.

Some of those legends missed full seasons with serious injuries including Jordan and Bird. Others had to retire way too early like Isaiah. Maybe that was inevitable, maybe not; but the argument for load management has at least some scientific basis. I hate it but it makes some sense: a very large percent of ankle injuries happen beyond 32 minutes a game. These owners are also investing like $250 million in players, this isn't Larry bird getting $600,000 a year anymore either.

Last edited:
A
Some of those legends missed full seasons with serious injuries including Jordan and Bird. Others had to retire way too early like Isaiah. Maybe that was inevitable, maybe not; but the argument for load management has at least some scientific basis. I hate it but it makes some sense: a very large percent of ankle injuries happen beyond 32 minutes a game. These owners are also investing like $250 million in players, this isn't Larry bird getting $600,000 a year anymore either.
Yet another reason why sports gets harder and harder to watch and relate to year to year - paralysis by analysis by a bunch of mega geeks who couldn’t slam on a six foot hoop

A

Yet another reason why sports gets harder and harder to watch and relate to year to year - paralysis by analysis by a bunch of mega geeks who couldn’t slam on a six foot hoop

Eh I don't buy this, the NBA is the best it's been since the 1980s heyday. The late 90 were a wasteland of boring hoops. A few of the LeBron Heat/Cavs series against the Warriors and Spurs were epic entertainment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT