ADVERTISEMENT

Zone D

Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
To see a Dixon coached Pitt team have to resort to a Zone defense is quite telling. Not just a
switch to it on and off, but a Zone for the entire game. I must have watched
a different game than others, but what I saw was not encouraging. IMO, Miami came out uninspired, and flat.
Athletically and talent wise they are so much better than us it isn't funny...no wonder they apparently
were not "up" for this game. We're not exactly striking fear in the hearts and minds off ACC teams.
Also our zone press, has yet to create a turnover. At least I haven't seen one all year. That is simply
inexcusable IMO. We have to go zone, (but not for the whole game) I called for more Zone on here last week. Jamie has to be pulling his hair out because this zone has so many holes in it. Guards driving THROUGH the teeth of it....THAT is unheard of. Closing off the lane is as basic as not giving up the base line, but we do that frequently too LOL.
I can't fault Jamie for those mistakes because I'm sure he's teaching it. An Alley Oop pass
from straight on over the back defenders.... Ouch! Boheim could use our zone as a teaching tool
what not to do.

On the positive side, I thought we gave a decent effort, but the comments made by many posters
over the past few weeks again proved true last night. The inside game is so anemic; it was once again like men against boys inside. Their center, all 7 ft of him terrorized us all night long by his mere
presence. He's no All American, but we have nobody on our team like that. Yes, Luther hustled his
ass off once again and made some plays on both ends, but over the course of a game he gets taken
advantage of inside. Our two forwards, good as they are...are not elite ACC forwards. Young is not all that strong inside in this league and was pushed around against bigger and just as athletic bodies last night. Artis?...I don't know what to say about his performance on both the offensive and defensive ends. All those posters criticizing Smith, Robinson, and Jeter were right I guess. On the other hand Jones (who I often criticize), came off the bench with some fire. I'm hoping Jamie can breathe some energy and fire into this bunch...right now it's missing.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
Last night was the first time that I can recall seeing Jamie's team play a 3-2 zone. Plenty of 2-3 but never a 3-2. Unfortunately, I also think that it was the first time that Mike Young ever saw it as well! He was clueless.

He was more than clueless...but they have bigger problems than zone D

I love how people say they were flat or they didn't hustle . I sat at court side both teams gave 100% the whole game. Defensive lapses seem common to this group some on here blame the coaching staff ,but I'd bet you at practice that's all the players hear about. it's time to face the facts these guys just aren't very good at it.

Reactions: passedout
Last night was the first time that I can recall seeing Jamie's team play a 3-2 zone. Plenty of 2-3 but never a 3-2. Unfortunately, I also think that it was the first time that Mike Young ever saw it as well! He was clueless.

Dick Groat was saying it was a 1-2-2. At times it looked that way. It looked more 3-2 in the second half.

Mike Young just seems to lack defensive instincts at times.

I'd call it a 1-2-2 because when we started out (which is when you are best able to tell) the guy in the middle up top was always extended much further out towards the three point line than the other two out front were. The other two started more at the foul line extended. That would be what a 1-2-2 would look like.

And yes, Mike Young does seem to lack defensive instincts, especially in a zone.

I'd call it a 1-2-2 because when we started out (which is when you are best able to tell) the guy in the middle up top was always extended much further out towards the three point line than the other two out front were. The other two started more at the foul line extended. That would be what a 1-2-2 would look like.

And yes, Mike Young does seem to lack defensive instincts, especially in a zone.
Yeah, he was brutal, just lost in space

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT