ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse's zone has now given up 115 points in their last 40 minutes

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Either Jimmy retires, or he's going to have to drastically change his ways. The athletes today are too good to defend all game with a zone. His 2-3 zone is caput.

Either Jimmy retires, or he's going to have to drastically change his ways. The athletes today are too good to defend all game with a zone. His 2-3 zone is caput.
Nah. He just doesn’t have the players he used to have and especially lacks the long, athletic wing guys that make that zone so effective. This is a historically weak and talentless Cuse team.

That 2-3 enabled a couple of pretty mediocre Cuse teams to make some noise in March over the past few years.

The move to the ACC has not been kind to the old BE powers, Cise maybe more than anyone, and Boeheim is getting old. I think that program is about to enter a long, dark winter.

jimarrgh.gif

Mintz will leave after the season for the NBA draft or to the SEC, whichever can guarantee the most money

The zone is officially dead

GT almost puts up a century with Coleman going 2-12 from 3pt

I turned on a Pitt game from the early 90s and Boeheim came out in Man to Man.

Much like Paterno, who at Syracuse is going to even have the balls to suggest to him that he should retire?

I agree with the original poster. think the 2-3 zone doesn't defend the three all that great, and the three ball is such a big part of today's game.
it doesn’t defend the individual shooter at the 3 point line necessarily but with the right defensive players and length it’s hard to shoot over and it limits the offensive team to one shot.

Having tall shooters like Hinson helps a lot. Back in the Jamie heyday when we weren’t the strongest perimeter shooting team and when Cuse had all those long athletic guys we had to attack that zone from the high post, which with the kinds of high post players we had was very effective.

it doesn’t defend the individual shooter at the 3 point line necessarily but with the right defensive players and length it’s hard to shoot over and it limits the offensive team to one shot.

Having tall shooters like Hinson helps a lot. Back in the Jamie heyday when we weren’t the strongest perimeter shooting team and when Cuse had all those long athletic guys we had to attack that zone from the high post, which with the kinds of high post players we had was very effective.
I think if you run an offense with a capable person in high post, and three guys along the arc that can hit threes, all it takes it a little bit of ball movement and and becomes very difficult for the two defenders in the zone to defend those four guys (high post + guys along the arc). Obviously one of the bottom line players could start creeping up, but the 2-3 is less than ideal.

I agree with the original poster. think the 2-3 zone doesn't defend the three all that great, and the three ball is such a big part of today's game.

Their three point percentage against is usually pretty good. Not this year, and last year they were mediocre. But they've had years where they were 17, 13, 3, 29, 22, 8, 9 and 8 in the last 20 years. Before this year they were only in the bottom half in three point percentage against twice in 20 years.

But this year, yeah, they're bad at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT