ADVERTISEMENT

Could the Pirates please —

I can't imagine anyone could watch any amount of baseball and not know, and I don't mean think, I mean know, that catchers are buying calls on a pretty regular basis. Or at least the good ones do.

If you want to argue that that's just proof that the general state of umpiring, at least the calling of balls and strikes, isn't very good right now you'll get no argument from me. But every team in baseball, and I do mean literally every single one, thinks that there are some catchers who are good at "stealing" strikes, and some catchers who do just the opposite.

It's certainly a very real thing that I've even seen referenced statistically in recent broadcasts.

MLB Catcher Framing Leaders

Ridiculous. He's been playing the outfield for two months. He'll get better.

Almost all of his errors, maybe even all of them, I don't know that I remember all of them off the top of my head, are plays where like he's overrunning a ball and not picking it up or juggling it when he does, things like that. Things that a guy who has played outfield (or even an infielder) has done thousands and thousands of times by the time they make the major leagues. Davis has been doing that stuff for a few months. It's no wonder he's not very good at it.

As I said before, it just shows you why having a guy basically learning a new position at the major league level is a really bad idea.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
watch pirates most nights and there is no bullying down by hedges, endy or opposing catchers. stop it with this silliness. the umps arent being bullied or fooled by a catcher moving his glove into the strike zone..

Like I said, every major league baseball team disagrees with you. Literally, every single one.

But come on, there's no way those folks could know something more than someone sitting at home watching the game on their couch.

If you watch a major league game and you don't see catchers stealing strikes in every game then you really must not be paying much attention.

• Haha
OK, you're right.
Explains why Henry Davis has caught 1 inning in 2 months in the majors.
And that guy was a former ML catcher, not sure he was in his parent's basement.

And catchers most certainly buy a number of borderline calls, just like they can cost the pitcher a call by not being smooth with the glove.

It is the one of the main reasons that the electronic strike zone is being piloted in the minor leagues and will soon be adopted by MLB.
Oh no! What will the players Union do when players like Austin Hedges are out of a job?

Like I said, every major league baseball team disagrees with you. Literally, every single one.

But come on, there's no way those folks could know something more than someone sitting at home watching the game on their couch.

If you watch a major league game and you don't see catchers stealing strikes in every game then you really must not be paying much attention.
I’d say he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I’m pretty sure he’s too cheap for that.

Oh no! What will the players Union do when players like Austin Hedges are out of a job?
They’ll offer them a couple hundred grand for the retirement fund and they’ll sell Hedges et al down the river so fast your head will spin!

Many more Pitchers and hitters and managers than one trick washed up catchers.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

You know what every mlb team says about framing pitches lol. Ok. Didn’t know you are on speaking terms with every baseball GM.

Keep us posted on what’s going on with all of your connections.

• Haha
I was looking at both Pirates and Mets lineups tonight. 18 guys. ONE guy is batting over .260 (Reynolds at .270).

Aside from the pitcher, it used to be most lineups had one batter below .260.

In a nutshell, that is everything that is wrong with baseball.

I thought it was attributable to pitchers throwing harder, but then I read some things that stated velocity is measured when it leaves the pitcher's hand now, whereas it used to be measured closer to the plate... so the differences might not be quite as drastic as they appear on the surface. Still, when we're talking about split-second reaction time, even slight differences matter a lot. And it seems like guys are also about as cognizant as ever when it comes to having movement on their fastballs. In my opinion, they've just become so difficult to hit.

Is the answer moving the mound back? I don't know, but I would try it.

You know what every mlb team says about framing pitches lol. Ok. Didn’t know you are on speaking terms with every baseball GM.

Keep us posted on what’s going on with all of your connections.

I guess the difference between you and I is that I actually pay attention and you, well, don't. Because how you feel about what is going on is actually way more important that what people actually in the game say is going on.

I know you hate to read, but here is a pretty good explanation about why in this "Analytics is King" age in MLB, framing is king for catchers.

Of course if they go to electronic strike calling all of this goes out the window, and Henry Davis suddenly becomes Johnny Bench.

Read it if you want, but it's all spelled out in black and white from a MLB perspective. It isn't long, and reads like Dick and Jane, so you'd probably understand it.

https://probaseballinsider.com/how-...about-framing-pro-tips-for-baseball-catchers/
yo freeport, i saw this on twitter and thought of you..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT