ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gaming systems for over 60 crowd

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
Do any of you guys who can actually remember our National Championship play video games? What “system“ would you recommend using if wanting to play on a video monitor like a television?

Do any of you guys who can actually remember our National Championship play video games? What “system“ would you recommend using if wanting to play on a video monitor like a television?
I’m 50ish and don’t play nearly enough anymore except with the kids occasionally. I still think PS4 or 5 is your best combo of ease or controller use and quality graphics.

Not over 60 but wouldn't you just buy the newest console? I got Xbox Series X for my son for Christmas but honestly, the graphics dont seem to be any better than the one it replaced. I had all the systems and going from Nintendo to Super Nintendo to Playstation to Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One, you could always see a significant graphics upgrade. I'm not seeing it with this new system. I asked the guy at GameStop and he said there's more storage and it loads faster. Who cares about that?

I dont play video games anymore but I am looking forward to the new college football game. I'm going to play the heck out of that. I may even move FSU out of the ACC to get it over with.

Like on an old school crt tv? You wouldn't be able to use the newer type of connections like HDMI that the newer consoles have.

Don't need none of these fancy space lasers and half naked girls on the games these mindless whipper snappers play nowadays as they never got any better than the original. Now, get off my lawn!

Not over 60 but wouldn't you just buy the newest console? I got Xbox Series X for my son for Christmas but honestly, the graphics dont seem to be any better than the one it replaced. I had all the systems and going from Nintendo to Super Nintendo to Playstation to Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One, you could always see a significant graphics upgrade. I'm not seeing it with this new system. I asked the guy at GameStop and he said there's more storage and it loads faster. Who cares about that?

I dont play video games anymore but I am looking forward to the new college football game. I'm going to play the heck out of that. I may even move FSU out of the ACC to get it over with.
I still play NCAA Football 14, with Pitt as a perennial powerhouse. Oh, how I love fantasizing.

I'm 40. Formerly a gamer but just don't have time for it anymore with a 2 year old and another baby on the way in early 2024.

Games take way too long for me now. I need something that I can get in and out of in under an hour, and which isn't too hard. That tends to mean hand-held games work well since I can only play for a few minutes before bed. The iPad has lots of good stuff nowadays. I sometimes play Civilization on there if I'm traveling without the family. I also have a Nintendo Switch and I asked for Mario Wonder for Christmas. That's an old-school, Super Nintendo style side-scroller. That's the kind of thing that I need. Quick, easy, no insanely complicated systems to learn (Elden Ring), no games that require 100 hours of investment like the Assassin's Creed games, and no multiplayer games where I get instantly wrecked by teenagers and the unemployed.

Another option is to watch people play games on YouTube. I found the Last of Us to be emotionally exhausting when I played it 10 years ago but I did watch some guy play the sequel on YouTube and that was cool.

I still play NCAA Football 14, with Pitt as a perennial powerhouse. Oh, how I love fantasizing.
Used to love having my Pitt team roll through the Big East in College Hoops 2k8 with 3x 7' frontcourt that blocked everything that wasn't shot beyond 24'.

Reactions: H2Ppanthers
Used to love having my Pitt team roll through the Big East in College Hoops 2k8 with 3x 7' frontcourt that blocked everything that wasn't shot beyond 24'.

I hope they bring back the college hoops video game. EA should do it since it conceded the NBA market to 2K. How bout NCAA Live 25? EA's NBA Live 95 is regarded as the best basketball game of all time so this plays off of it. I used to love playing those college hoops games going back to the one on Super Nintendo where I could drain 3 after 3 with Sean Miller.

I'm 40. Formerly a gamer but just don't have time for it anymore with a 2 year old and another baby on the way in early 2024.

Games take way too long for me now. I need something that I can get in and out of in under an hour, and which isn't too hard. That tends to mean hand-held games work well since I can only play for a few minutes before bed. The iPad has lots of good stuff nowadays. I sometimes play Civilization on there if I'm traveling without the family. I also have a Nintendo Switch and I asked for Mario Wonder for Christmas. That's an old-school, Super Nintendo style side-scroller. That's the kind of thing that I need. Quick, easy, no insanely complicated systems to learn (Elden Ring), no games that require 100 hours of investment like the Assassin's Creed games, and no multiplayer games where I get instantly wrecked by teenagers and the unemployed.

Another option is to watch people play games on YouTube. I found the Last of Us to be emotionally exhausting when I played it 10 years ago but I did watch some guy play the sequel on YouTube and that was cool.
Formerly is a word that takes up a lot of your vocabulary when you get into your 40s with kids...Fear not, in 20 years or so they will be gone and the heart pounding action of Canasta and Mexican Train Dominoes prior to the Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy Power Hour will fill your evenings with excitement once again...

Reactions: lilspainishflea

I have read that some console systems are more conducive to younger, more nimble fingers while older digits can struggle a bit with some setups. So just asking experienced old farts.

I'm still a gamer at heart and have an Xbox Series S .. that thing blows the old Xbox out of the water with graphics IMO

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
Loved that game. Greg Oden on the cover

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT