ADVERTISEMENT

Some Info Over July 4th Weekend!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
I was invited to a very nice Home that looked over Pittsburgh on Mount Washington yesterday. There were a number of Lawyers and Judges from Western Pennsylvania and what a delightful place to see the Fireworks after the Pirate Game.

There I talked to three Lawyers one that represented a Penn State Branch Campus and knows the Paterno's closely and another that is a Big WVU Booster and a Lawyer close to PITT had interesting insights on PSU, WVU and PITT!

Penn State:
Apparently he knows the Paternos' and Jay Paterno in particular. He stated Jay is a very very nice person and does not have to worry about anything as far as money. He revealed that the Paterno's are far richer than most know. He estimated around $42 Million in Net Worth! Apparently, they owned a great deal in Tasty Cakes before it went south and made a hefty profit, Nike Shoe Contracts, plus other business interests the Paternos were in with some other people, and of course the buyouts and retirements. They can well afford the cost of the Lawsuits they waging against Penn State and NCAA. So Sue, will be leaving quite a sum to all children and relations. He also said, Jay was offered the Juniata College Coaching job but was not interested and does not think his Lawsuit will go anywhere on not being given offers to Coach in FBS. He added, Paterno's other son is a total idiot and left it at that, without another word.

Additionally, he mentioned Penn State "Season Tickets" has taken a big dip not just over the Sanctions but due to the Step Program and they are only at 60% of what it once was prior to that Program. They are hurting on that aspect. I countered the Attendance has gone from 96,000 to 101,000 but he came back saying they are still way down on Season Tickets Sales and one reason why they will have to Schedule tougher games to bringing the Fans. I hope a PSU Poster with some knowledge on the Penn State Step Season Ticket Sales confirms, augments, or provide more details, on this subject! The good point is they need Pitt to sell more Season Tickets!

He said, Franklin demanding to play a lighter OOC claiming the Big Ten Schedule was so tough is laughable. they feels they will add Pitt to the Schedule for that reason alone to Power Conference as an OOC Team. He confirmed what a few informed Posters have posted here, that Franklin insists on light weight schedules to build up his win total, and that will grow old at Penn State, but Paterno did that too, in his early career? He added, Franklin recruiting is out of sight but he may not equal the quality of players like Coach Pat is noted to produce in the NFL and that remain to be seen. One guy said, even with Franklin's recruiting in the clouds so is Ohio State, Michigan, and MSU too, and they are all better coaches than Franklin on Game Day. They look for Franklin's DC Shoop to leave soon too. They all said there are there is many problems under the covers at Penn State and WVU that is being dealt with quietly, and PITT is in a way better position to take advantage of rebuilding its Athletics that they need to do too!

PITT:
He said, he loves Coach Pat Narduzzi and feels as many that knowing Defenses. He will get great recruits out of Ohio but has a challenge against Franklin. He also feels Coach Pat & Staff will come to challenge Franklin and is a better coach but Penn State recruits are just of higher caliber. Yet, Coach Pat is known how to make his recruits and players just better p[layers into winning Teams. The Recruits and Players just love and adore and can't wait to practice to learn to play for him. So long as Coach Pat is able to hire a great OC like Harris, Chryst, and like Chaney PITT should be very good. He agreed that Chryst will get a boost from Alvarez at Wisky but on his own is another Foge, a better Coordinator than a Complete Head Coach and won't last at Wisky. One guy talked about knowing Bo Ryan too and said, he will be missed at Wisky. The Lawyers and Judges all talked about how glad everyone is over Gallagher being hired, and Pederson being fired. Not one good word was said about Pederson and I was silent just listening about him. Barnes is so lucky because it is hard not to succeed Pederson. They said, Gallagher's background on Commerce Department Innovations is going to payoff big time for PITT way better than the Old Guard Hires Retreads of PSU & WVU! In any event, teh PITT Players cannot wait to play for Coach Pat & Staff and all are happy he is at Pitt!

WVU
There was a discussion on WVU that took a heated tone and I just laid back and watch. The PITT & PSU guys said, WVU is a corrupt Program that does not care about the Players going to classes and Holgrosen is overrated and overhead with a bad Staff. They talked about that is why Oliver Luck wanted out and brought in Bradley to clean up the Program, but he was out as soon as Luck left! Of course the WVU Booster said they did not know what they were talking about, but all agreed, Oliver Luck is at the NCAA to save it from the Power Conferences from making a For Profit League or help with that transition, but they were all vague on what will happen as most of us. They added, once Texas comebacks under Charlie Strong, Holgrosen won't be there that long against Briles, Patterson, Synder, Stoops, and Strong. They confirmed that the Big-12 is very vulnerable to being erased as Conference. They also said, the ACC will always be behind the SEC and B1G. They agreed that WVU, PSU, PITT, and CUSE should be playing each other all the time, and to avoid each other is just stupid! They feel once Coach Pat establishes his imprint on Pitt Program, it will be WVU having trouble recruiting against PSU & PITT in PA, OH, and region!

This is just what I heard from many sources and I cannot confirm the details and not gospel but just some gossip from others that work around all three schools and programs. Just sharing it with the Board.

Last edited:
I was invited to a very nice Home that looked over Pittsburgh on Mount Washington yesterday. There were a number of Lawyers and Judges from Western Pennsylvania and what a delightful place to see the Fireworks after the Pirate Game.

There I talked to three Lawyers one that represented a Penn State Branch Campus and knows the Paterno's closely and another that is a Big WVU Booster and a Lawyer close to PITT had interesting insights on PSU, WVU and PITT!

Penn State:
Apparently he knows the Paternos' and Jay Paterno in particular. He stated Jay is a very very nice person and does not have to worry about anything as far as money. He revealed that the Paterno's are far richer than most know. He estimated around $42 Million in Net Worth! Apparently, they owned a great deal in Tasty Cakes before it went south and made a hefty profit, Nike Shoe Contracts, plus other business interests the Paternos were in with some other people, and of course the buyouts and retirements. They can well afford the cost of the Lawsuits they waging against Penn State and NCAA. So Sue, will be leaving quite a sum to all children and relations. He also said, Jay was offered the Juniata College Coaching job but was not interested and does not think his Lawsuit will go anywhere on not being given offers to Coach in FBS. He added, Paterno's other son is a total idiot and left it at that, without another word.

Additionally, he mentioned Penn State "Season Tickets" has taken a big dip not just over the Sanctions but due to the Step Program and they are only at 60% of what it once was prior to that Program. They are hurting on that aspect. I countered the Attendance has gone from 96,000 to 101,000 but he came back saying they are still way down on Season Tickets Sales and one reason why they will have to Schedule tougher games to bringing the Fans. I hope a PSU Poster with some knowledge on the Penn State Step Season Ticket Sales confirms, augments, or provide more details, on this subject! The good point is they need Pitt to sell more Season Tickets!

He said, Franklin demanding to play a lighter OOC claiming the Big Ten Schedule was so tough is laughable. they feels they will add Pitt to the Schedule for that reason alone to Power Conference as an OOC Team. He confirmed what a few informed Posters have posted here, that Franklin insists on light weight schedules to build up his win total, and that will grow old at Penn State, but Paterno did that too, in his early career? He added, Franklin recruiting is out of sight but he may not equal the quality of players like Coach Pat is noted to produce in the NFL and that remain to be seen. One guy said, even with Franklin's recruiting in the clouds so is Ohio State, Michigan, and MSU too, and they are all better coaches than Franklin on Game Day. They look for Franklin's DC Shoop to leave soon too. They all said there are there is many problems under the covers at Penn State and WVU that is being dealt with quietly, and PITT is in a way better position to take advantage of rebuilding its Athletics that they need to do too!

PITT:
He said, he loves Coach Pat Narduzzi and feels as many that knowing Defenses. He will get great recruits out of Ohio but has a challenge against Franklin. He also feels Coach Pat & Staff will come to challenge Franklin and is a better coach but Penn State recruits are just of higher caliber. Yet, Coach Pat is known how to make his recruits and players just better p[layers into winning Teams. The Recruits and Players just love and adore and can't wait to practice to learn to play for him. So long as Coach Pat is able to hire a great OC like Harris, Chryst, and like Chaney PITT should be very good. He agreed that Chryst will get a boost from Alvarez at Wisky but on his own is another Foge, a better Coordinator than a Complete Head Coach and won't last at Wisky. One guy talked about knowing Bo Ryan too and said, he will be missed at Wisky. The Lawyers and Judges all talked about how glad everyone is over Gallagher being hired, and Pederson being fired. Not one good word was said about Pederson and I was silent just listening about him. Barnes is so lucky because it is hard not to succeed Pederson. They said, Gallagher's background on Commerce Department Innovations is going to payoff big time for PITT way better than the Old Guard Hires Retreads of PSU & WVU! In any event, teh PITT Players cannot wait to play for Coach Pat & Staff and all are happy he is at Pitt!

WVU
There was a discussion on WVU that took a heated tone and I just laid back and watch. The PITT & PSU guys said, WVU is a corrupt Program that does not care about the Players going to classes and Holgrosen is overrated and overhead with a bad Staff. They talked about that is why Oliver Luck wanted out and brought in Bradley to clean up the Program, but he was out as soon as Luck left! Of course the WVU Booster said they did not know what they were talking about, but all agreed, Oliver Luck is at the NCAA to save it from the Power Conferences from making a For Profit League or help with that transition, but they were all vague on what will happen as most of us. They added, once Texas comebacks under Charlie Strong, Holgrosen won't be there that long against Briles, Patterson, Synder, Stoops, and Strong. They confirmed that the Big-12 is very vulnerable to being erased as Conference. They also said, the ACC will always be behind the SEC and B1G. They agreed that WVU, PSU, PITT, and CUSE should be playing each other all the time, and to avoid each other is just stupid! They feel once Coach Pat establishes his imprint on Pitt Program, it will be WVU having trouble recruiting against PSU & PITT in PA, OH, and region!

This is just what I heard from many sources and I cannot confirm the details and not gospel but just some gossip from others that work around all three schools and programs. Just sharing it with the Board.
Thanks for the insight. What you heard about Ped State season ticket sales is true. I know at least 4 or 5 guys who have had season tix up there for 40 or more years. They are giving them up one by one because of how they are being treated by the administration. These are true nit fans. Fans I respect because they were there before St. Joe. Not like these younger fans who were born and raised when the nits were already on top, making it easy to jump on the bandwagon in their youth.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
not surprised at all about paterno net worth. It wasn't out of the goodness of his own heart that he took a low (relatively speaking) coaching salary, had many other business interests to more than compensate.

not surprised at all about paterno net worth. It wasn't out of the goodness of his own heart that he took a low (relatively speaking) coaching salary, had many other business interests to more than compensate.
In my book he had 2 salaries from Ped State. The one they reported and the much larger under the table one they didn't. He sure donated an awful lot of money to the library and such for a guy making what they claimed he was making.

Penn State:

PITT:

WVU

You have a lot of long and interesting conversations with people who don't know what they are talking about.

In my book he had 2 salaries from Ped State. The one they reported and the much larger under the table one they didn't. He sure donated an awful lot of money to the library and such for a guy making what they claimed he was making.
There was a rumor that circulated for a long time that Paterno had a large chunk of ownership in the vending machines on campus, supposedly a huge reason why he never complained about his coaching salary. (Someone knowledgeable about this can feel free to confirm or deny it.). Suffice to say, ol' Jopa was making a lot more than the general public knew about....

I generally enjoy your posts and you did say to take everything with a grain of salt. A summation of your post appears to be PSU/WVU bad and in trouble, PITT good. I will heed your warning and TIFWIW.

You have a lot of long and interesting conversations with people who don't know what they are talking about.
He should have asked the guy how to solve Greece's debt problem or how to deal with ISIS. The guy seemed to know everything about ever topic.

Thanks for the insight. What you heard about Ped State season ticket sales is true. I know at least 4 or 5 guys who have had season tix up there for 40 or more years. They are giving them up one by one because of how they are being treated by the administration. These are true nit fans. Fans I respect because they were there before St. Joe. Not like these younger fans who were born and raised when the nits were already on top, making it easy to jump on the bandwagon in their youth.
There are degrees of pain and PSU is at another level. Decreased tickets sales and still having over 90,000 on a bad day doesn't draw much sympathy from me. It is all relative..

But maybe not ALL.

OSU lead the nation in attendance in 2014...Michigan will probably take over that spot now that Michigan Stadium renovations are complete.

But even OSU reached the saturation point with their recent 3,000 more seats. OSU now charges premium prices for PSU. MSU and UofM. The face value of the Michigan game ticket I used in 2014 was $150.00!!! OSU now has single game tickets on sale for 2015.

That is alot of money for a single ticket. Add in the mix the secondary ticket marketeers like Stub Hub and ticket availabilty is no longer mysterious.....

Me thinks that the high end programs are in more trouble because they have large athletic budget appetites.

I generally enjoy your posts and you did say to take everything with a grain of salt. A summation of your post appears to be PSU/WVU bad and in trouble, PITT good. I will heed your warning and TIFWIW.
Well, you can't read and that is OK, Franklin Recruiting is certainly Top Ten Recruiting and Defense pretty darn good, meaning Staff is pretty good too. The positive aspects about Jay Paterno are there too. Yet, the biggest thing dragging down PSU these days is the divided aspects by Penn State Fans themselves.

I don't believe the stuff on WVU Classes since WVU Grad Rates are not that bad, and Oliver Luck was a pretty good AD, in my opinion. Yet, Holgrosen has had trouble with Staff and was over his Scholarship limit and WVU President as stated Players Athletics travel has impacted upon some Student Athletes Travel and missed Class Room time caused by it.

PITT has been in a Rebuilding Mode every 3 to 5 years since 2000. Yet, all three programs are rebuilding too!

I have no problem whatsoever with your comment or opinion, and anyone that augment it with good info or correct it is OK with me, with no offense taken. :rolleyes:
I am intrigued by the reference to underlying problems at WVU and PSU. Are they financial, clash of ideologies, corruption, etc....?
As for Pitt, I like what I see thus far too, but I will love it if half of the predicted good stuff comes to fruition.
As for conversations with people who don't know what they are talking about is concerned.....is that the pot calling the kettle black?
Seems to me there exists a touch of irony in that accusation. :cool:

I am intrigued by the reference to underlying problems at WVU and PSU. Are they financial, clash of ideologies, corruption, etc....?
As for Pitt, I like what I see thus far too, but I will love it if half of the predicted good stuff comes to fruition.
As for conversations with people who don't know what they are talking about is concerned.....is that the pot calling the kettle black?
Seems to me there exists a touch of irony in that accusation. :cool:
Well, Robby may be Blitz and Drunky may be sharing a sentence two and the best they can do as seen in their own posts?:cool:

There are degrees of pain and PSU is at another level. Decreased tickets sales and still having over 90,000 on a bad day doesn't draw much sympathy from me. It is all relative..

But maybe not ALL.

OSU lead the nation in attendance in 2014...Michigan will probably take over that spot now that Michigan Stadium renovations are complete.

But even OSU reached the saturation point with their recent 3,000 more seats. OSU now charges premium prices for PSU. MSU and UofM. The face value of the Michigan game ticket I used in 2014 was $150.00!!! OSU now has single game tickets on sale for 2015.

That is alot of money for a single ticket. Add in the mix the secondary ticket marketeers like Stub Hub and ticket availabilty is no longer mysterious.....

Me thinks that the high end programs are in more trouble because they have large athletic budget appetites.
I disagree with respect, the bigger Revenue Programs still bring in the additional Dollars under high Attendance, Properties Sales, and Contributions than most FBS Programs. These Programs may have higher costs on Coaching Salaries & Staff, Recruiting Camps, Roster Sizes, but they cover the costs in most cases. They are just trying to maximize their revenues but costs are still rising higher than revenues in CFB. They are the ones that go after paying Top Dollar for Coaches and always raising that to keep their coaches.

Additionally, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan are the Top Ten Programs as far as Attendance and that is to be admired, in any respect. The same for WVU that is usually in the Top 30 or near it! PITT has a long way to go to get that too?

Yet, in spite of these advantages PSU & WVU has over PITT they are not doing that much better and are rebuilding as well.

All 3 Programs need to improve and WVU has had the longer time to do it since 2012 in the Big-12, PSU Sanctions set them back but they are back in recruiting under Franklin, and doing a great job from what I see, and Pitt just got a New Chancellor, Head Coach and AD!

So, we shall see?

Last edited:
That was very interesting.

I have a friend that was a season ticket holder (PSU) since the late 70s. He gave his tickets up a couple of years ago. Another friend was a season ticket holder since 1963. He also gave up his tickets a few years ago. These guys were super fans. For them to give up their tickets was very strange.

I don't know what is going on at WVU today. But in the 70s they had what I consider to be "normal" fb players. When Nehlan arrived that quickly changed. Too many of them looked like thugs. Nasty looking characters. Maybe it's better today. I don't know. But I kind of doubt it.

Well, you can't read and that is OK, Franklin Recruiting is certainly Top Ten Recruiting and Defense pretty darn good, meaning Staff is pretty good too. The positive aspects about Jay Paterno are there too. Yet, the biggest thing dragging down PSU these days is the divided aspects by Penn State Fans themselves.

I don't believe the stuff on WVU Classes since WVU Grad Rates are not that bad, and Oliver Luck was a pretty good AD, in my opinion. Yet, Holgrosen has had trouble with Staff and was over his Scholarship limit and WVU President as stated Players Athletics travel has impacted upon some Student Athletes Travel and missed Class Room time caused by it.

PITT has been in a Rebuilding Mode every 3 to 5 years since 2000. Yet, all three programs are rebuilding too!

I think you pointed out that the person you spoke with pointed out PSU doing well in recruiting. That is hardly a bold statement. In regards to Jay Paterno, I can't stand him. I think he is a man who has made his way off his father's back and will continue to do so as long as possible. He was a horrible coach and an even worse recruiter and should never have been a part of the Penn State staff to begin with. Couple that with the fact that he had more interest in writing Op-Ed pieces rather than doing his job and it just leaves most with a bad taste. Jay Paterno has never met a microphone or a self-promoting opportunity that he was not interested in. Juniata? haha - that's pretty funny (not aimed at you). What were they going to pay him? Also, wouldn't that mean he would be expected to recruit and actually coach? That's a tall order IMO.

Shoop will leave for the right HC position. We kept him from going to LSU because it was a lateral move. Pretty sure that is one of the biggest reasons that Haslett was brought on. Regardless, unlikely that Penn State would have difficulty finding a qualified candidate with the amount of money they could throw around.

Penn State fans may be divided but that is only because the wins aren't there right now. I'm sure there are some diehards out there who will close their checkbooks because of the BOT but who knows. STEP was a money grab that had horrible timing. Paterno and Penn State (probably more the latter) wanted all those seats and now they can't fill them. That's there problem and they are reaping what they sowed. I'm sure they aren't going broke anytime soon.

I'll finish with this. Narduzzi has never been a HC before so for anyone to act like he is in a better position than James Franklin and his crew at this point is not very bright. Wishful thinking and totally understandable? Sure. Accurate? No way. Just ask Florida and Will Muschamp.

I have a friend that was a season ticket holder (PSU) since the late 70s. He gave his tickets up a couple of years ago. Another friend was a season ticket holder since 1963. He also gave up his tickets a few years ago. These guys were super fans. For them to give up their tickets was very strange.

I don't know what is going on at WVU today. But in the 70s they had what I consider to be "normal" fb players. When Nehlan arrived that quickly changed. Too many of them looked like thugs. Nasty looking characters. Maybe it's better today. I don't know. But I kind of doubt it.

My parents were season ticket holders since 1981 and gave up their tickets with STEP. They also sold their home in Florida in 2003. It's called old age and a lifestyle running its course IMO.

My parents were season ticket holders since 1981 and gave up their tickets with STEP. They also sold their home in Florida in 2003. It's called old age and a lifestyle running its course IMO.

I really don't think it's old age. It's only 6 or 7 weekends a year. Plus a bowl game. That wouldn't stop them.

I think you pointed out that the person you spoke with pointed out PSU doing well in recruiting. That is hardly a bold statement.
Sorry, will not allow you to escape your earlier inability to read and stand by your own misstatements. You said, Pitt Positive and PSU & WVU Bad, pretty much disputes your views and shows you did have trouble reading! Furthermore, they said Coach Pat & Staff does have a challenge ahead and once again on you!

In regards to Jay Paterno, I can't stand him. I think he is a man who has made his way off his father's back and will continue to do so as long as possible. He was a horrible coach and an even worse recruiter and should never have been a part of the Penn State staff to begin with. Couple that with the fact that he had more interest in writing Op-Ed pieces rather than doing his job and it just leaves most with a bad taste. Jay Paterno has never met a microphone or a self-promoting opportunity that he was not interested in. Juniata? haha - that's pretty funny (not aimed at you). What were they going to pay him? Also, wouldn't that mean he would be expected to recruit and actually coach? That's a tall order IMO.
I also held much of the same views on Jay as you and you know I respect your posts and agree where we can, and accept disagreements with no offense. This person knows jay and in all honesty I respect this person and when he says Jay is a very good Father, and loves his own Father, and stands by his Mother, I have to look at other aspects of Jay and everyone has a Divine Light within them, even when making mistakes.

I also agree with you on the JC Job, but even Sandusky hung out there often too and they always wanted a PSU Assistant until the Scandal. I take no offense with you on this aspect of the postings, I too, think Jay should take a Head coaching anywhere and show his muster as being Joseph Vincent Paterno's Son Head Coaching material??? It seems Jay is lost, wanting to run in politics, suing the NCAA, undercutting O'Brien and staying round State College instead of going off on his own. Now he is into Beer Selling?

Shoop will leave for the right HC position. We kept him from going to LSU because it was a lateral move. Pretty sure that is one of the biggest reasons that Haslett was brought on.
Thank you for that information and why I posted my comments to solicit Post like you put up, and I Thank You! Unlike the Drunks that can't post anything or put TWO sentences together to form One that add to a mutual exchange of Information?

Regardless, unlikely that Penn State would have difficulty finding a qualified candidate with the amount of money they could throw around.
Franklin I am told has his sights UVA's Assistant Coach West that is a superb Recruiter and may be looking for a job, if London is fired after this year? I agree with on your assessment, no problem finding a replacement!

Penn State fans may be divided but that is only because the wins aren't there right now. I'm sure there are some diehards out there who will close their checkbooks because of the BOT but who knows. STEP was a money grab that had horrible timing.
Agree, but the Trustees Fiasco is not over, and if STEP is a problem that confirms some of the Information was accurate and only dummies don't get it yet, as we saw on the some of Drunky-Blitzy bleary eye posts of nothing?

Paterno and Penn State (probably more the latter) wanted all those seats and now they can't fill them. That's there problem and they are reaping what they sowed. I'm sure they aren't going broke anytime soon.
Agreed! I will take 100,000 any day, and 60,000+ Season Ticket Holders too and trying to raise that number should be a goal and Program is back to being in Black!

I'll finish with this. Narduzzi has never been a HC before so for anyone to act like he is in a better position than James Franklin and his crew at this point is not very bright.
I think you are reading into that more than what was posted. No question many have a good opinion of Coach Pat, and are wishing for the best, i myself have said, I have no evidence to explain it, but have confidence he will work out. To sum up, in my opinion, everyone predicting Coach Pat will become a Great Head Coach is based on pure Beliefs and Guesses and like you said won't know until we see it. It always "COUCHED" with "IF" he turns out to be a Great Coach. Yet, to my first point, they all agreed Franklin is challenge for not just PITT, but Rutgers, BC, UMD, WVU, and Cuse.

Franklin is holding his own on recruiting against OSU, UM, MSU, and now he has to prove he can beat Meyers, Dantonio and Harbaugh on Game Day too?so far, last year he came close but still lost! This is Franklin's challenge???

Wishful thinking and totally understandable? Sure. Accurate? No way. Just ask Florida and Will Muschamp.
Agree and we shall see? Thanks for the additional information!

Last edited:
Reactions: kjb32812
I really don't think it's old age. It's only 6 or 7 weekends a year. Plus a bowl game. That wouldn't stop them.
I have three good friends who gave-up their tickets purely for the financial reasons discussed earlier. One is a former Nit cheerleader who felt that the people making the decisions were squeezing the fans - trying to test the upper limits of what the fandom would pay. Finally, she said "enough is enough" and let her tickets go.

I think you pointed out that the person you spoke with pointed out PSU doing well in recruiting. That is hardly a bold statement.
Sorry, will not allow you to escape your earlier inability to read and stand by your own misstatements. You said, Pitt Positive and PSU & WVU Bad, pretty much disputes your views and shows you did have trouble reading! Furthermore, they said Coach Pat & Staff does have a challenge ahead and once again on you!

In regards to Jay Paterno, I can't stand him. I think he is a man who has made his way off his father's back and will continue to do so as long as possible. He was a horrible coach and an even worse recruiter and should never have been a part of the Penn State staff to begin with. Couple that with the fact that he had more interest in writing Op-Ed pieces rather than doing his job and it just leaves most with a bad taste. Jay Paterno has never met a microphone or a self-promoting opportunity that he was not interested in. Juniata? haha - that's pretty funny (not aimed at you). What were they going to pay him? Also, wouldn't that mean he would be expected to recruit and actually coach? That's a tall order IMO.
I also held much of the same views on Jay as you and you know I respect your posts and agree where we can, and accept disagreements with no offense. This person knows jay and in all honesty I respect this person and when he says Jay is a very good Father, and loves his own Father, and stands by his Mother, I have to look at other aspects of Jay and everyone has a Divine Light within them, even when making mistakes.

I also agree with you on the JC Job, but even Sandusky hung out there often too and they always wanted a PSU Assistant until the Scandal. I take no offense with you on this aspect of the postings, I too, think Jay should take a Head coaching anywhere and show his muster as being Joseph Vincent Paterno's Son Head Coaching material??? It seems Jay is lost, wanting to run in politics, suing the NCAA, undercutting O'Brien and staying round State College instead of going off on his own. Now he is into Beer Selling?

Shoop will leave for the right HC position. We kept him from going to LSU because it was a lateral move. Pretty sure that is one of the biggest reasons that Haslett was brought on.
Thank you for that information and why I posted my comments to solicit Post like you put up, and I Thank You! Unlike the Drunks that can't post anything or put TWO sentences together to form One that add to a mutual exchange of Information?

Regardless, unlikely that Penn State would have difficulty finding a qualified candidate with the amount of money they could throw around.
Franklin I am told has his sights UVA's Assistant Coach West that is a superb Recruiter and may be looking for a job, if London is fired after this year? I agree with on your assessment, no problem finding a replacement!

Penn State fans may be divided but that is only because the wins aren't there right now. I'm sure there are some diehards out there who will close their checkbooks because of the BOT but who knows. STEP was a money grab that had horrible timing.
Agree, but the Trustees Fiasco is not over, and if STEP is a problem that confirms some of the Information was accurate and only dummies don't get it yet, as we saw on the some of Drunky-Blitzy bleary eye posts of nothing?

Paterno and Penn State (probably more the latter) wanted all those seats and now they can't fill them. That's there problem and they are reaping what they sowed. I'm sure they aren't going broke anytime soon.
Agreed! I will take 100,000 any day, and 60,000+ Season Ticket Holders too and trying to raise that number should be a goal and Program is back to being in Black!

I'll finish with this. Narduzzi has never been a HC before so for anyone to act like he is in a better position than James Franklin and his crew at this point is not very bright.
I think you are reading into that more than what was posted. No question many have a good opinion of Coach Pat, and are wishing for the best, i myself have said, I have no evidence to explain it, but have confidence he will work out. To sum up, in my opinion, everyone predicting Coach Pat will become a Great Head Coach is based on pure Beliefs and Guesses and like you said won't know until we see it. It always "COUCHED" with "IF" he turns out to be a Great Coach. Yet, to my first point, they all agreed Franklin is challenge for not just PITT, but Rutgers, BC, UMD, WVU, and Cuse.

Franklin is holding his own on recruiting against OSU, UM, MSU, and now he has to prove he can beat Meyers, Dantonio and Harbaugh too?

Wishful thinking and totally understandable? Sure. Accurate? No way. Just ask Florida and Will Muschamp.
Agree and we shall see? Thanks for the additional information!

Many times a person's success can be measured by how self-aware he is IMO. Franklin has a wonderful opportunity at Penn State. If he is not that great a coach then he could still do very, very well if he admits it to himself, focuses on what he is good at and then surrounds himself with people who can handle Xs and Os. I also hope he doesn't carry Donovan as dead weight like Golden does with D'Onofrio down in Miami. If he can't do the job then find someone who can.

Jay Paterno may be a very nice person but that wasn't my point. Of course he would rather sell beer than coach. He just throws his dad's face on a bottle and makes a royalty from it.

I think the stadium situation will be much more accurate when we are winning. The schedule piece really doesn't bother me. The way the B1G is now (and if they go to a P4) then OOC really means nothing. Besides, Rutgers would have been a fine OOC opponent (and they would have been if not for joining the B1G). PITT is a fine OOC opponent. So is VT. We are not that far removed from our home and home with Alabama and people pointing to our schedule are just looking to spread more dirt on the grave. O'Brien scheduling patsies was a very smart move. Better to be 7-6 than 4-9 when the end result won't mean anything anyhow IMO. The only school who still consistently talks about SOS is ND and that's because they have nothing else to hand onto.

I have three good friends who gave-up their tickets purely for the financial reasons discussed earlier. One is a former Nit cheerleader who felt that the people making the decisions were squeezing the fans - trying to test the upper limits of what the fandom would pay. Finally, she said "enough is enough" and let her tickets go.

Yep. I guess $60M per wasn't enough.

Listen, I'm assuming this is a shot at me. Anyone who watches football at all knows that Shoop was offered the LSU DC job. PSU ponied up and paid him. He could leave for more pay in the future or he could get a HC gig somewhere.

I love that you call out "the drunks" for not being able to put two sentences together. You absolutely destroy the English language when you post. For a supposed educated man, you have no ability to put words together and turn them into a proper sentence.

In spite of all of that, I generally enjoy that you bring discussion to the board. I think most of it comes from fans who don't know what they are talking about and generally throw out very obvious statements. When they aren't doing that, they just sound like old people who want to sound important. However, it creates dialogue, so that is a good thing.

No hard feelings and I'm sorry I even jumped into the discussion. But the main idea of your post is that WVU and PSU are falling and Pitt is rising. We have heard this story for the last 15 years, and it simply hasn't been true yet.

A few final points on PSU piling up easy wins. Yes, they have always done that. However, you can't blame Franklin. These schedules were made BEFORE he was there and PSU also expected to be dealing with a depleted roster due to sanctions.

Many times a person's success can be measured by how self-aware he is IMO. Franklin has a wonderful opportunity at Penn State. If he is not that great a coach then he could still do very, very well if he admits it to himself, focuses on what he is good at and then surrounds himself with people who can handle Xs and Os. I also hope he doesn't carry Donovan as dead weight like Golden does with D'Onofrio down in Miami. If he can't do the job then find someone who can.
I am on record on the Lair and it not only based on what Franklin did at Maryland as an Assistant in waiting to be named Head Coach, and Vandy, and his opening day introduction, as well as what many people told me after meeting him, that Franklin has great personality and very much up to PITT, UMD, Rutgers, Cuse, and BC to beat him off and on the field, and Franklin has to do the same to MSU, Um, and OSU?

I quite agree, Penn State provides many of the Resources and Assets that a Head Coach such as Franklin needs, wants, and can use and he is doing just that with his 2014-Top 24, 2015-15, and currently Top 10 Classes!

However, Franklin is scheduling lightweights as he did at Vandy too and he has to prove he knows how to coach those great recruits into 10+ Games Winning Seasons, and to be fair, some on the Lair, are not wrong to challenge he can, but not me!

Jay Paterno may be a very nice person but that wasn't my point. Of course he would rather sell beer than coach. He just throws his dad's face on a bottle and makes a royalty from it.
I think his Mother approved that more than Jay. But I accept your points, just agreeing where I can, and augmenting my own!

I think the stadium situation will be much more accurate when we are winning. The schedule piece really doesn't bother me.
No one can disagree with you either, i think that is a safe assumption, but attendance is falling in NFL & NCAA Games too, so it is a growing trend, but that is for No Shows as well.

The way the B1G is now (and if they go to a P4) then OOC really means nothing. Besides, Rutgers would have been a fine OOC opponent (and they would have been if not for joining the B1G). PITT is a fine OOC opponent.
This was really my point in my Post from the discussions at the Fireworks, that Penn State would do well to schedule PITT every year and Vice Aversa, PSU need better OOC games, PITT needs Heinz Sell Outs?

So is VT. We are not that far removed from our home and home with Alabama and people pointing to our schedule are just looking to spread more dirt on the grave. O'Brien scheduling patsies was a very smart move. Better to be 7-6 than 4-9 when the end result won't mean anything anyhow IMO. The only school who still consistently talks about SOS is ND and that's because they have nothing else to hand onto.
Agree, remember it was going to be 4 Years of Sanction and 5 Years after that too?

But now the future will require better FBS Power 4 or 5 Conference Teams as well and that was a primary focus in the discussions.

Listen, I'm assuming this is a shot at me.
Not calling out the Drunks, just you and your poor one line posts that added nothing to the discussions until now!

Anyone who watches football at all knows that Shoop was offered the LSU DC job. PSU ponied up and paid him. He could leave for more pay in the future or he could get a HC gig somewhere.
Well, he did not leave, and has much of his defense coming back, and I think you are correct he will be a Head Coach sooner not later. Now I am not disputing you are incorrect either. Maybe he should have gone?

I love that you call out "the drunks" for not being able to put two sentences together. You absolutely destroy the English language when you post. For a supposed educated man, you have no ability to put words together and turn them into a proper sentence.
So what, your one liners reflect your own inabilities, and you being upset over it reflects more on you and your own insecurities, it is just football board talk, not a thesis! Go get some pants on and man up quit crying on form over substance!

In spite of all of that, I generally enjoy that you bring discussion to the board. I think most of it comes from fans who don't know what they are talking about and generally throw out very obvious statements.
Good then respond with substance like others did, and I post to share and learn and discuss, not whine about grammar or histrionics about nothingness, we can always agree to disagree!

When they aren't doing that, they just sound like old people who want to sound important. However, it creates dialogue, so that is a good thing.
Old people don't care about being important, young people do! As quoted by a Wise Sage, "Young People Think Old Men Are Fools But Old Men Know Young Men Are Fools!"

Now I don't care if someone agrees with that quote or not, We talk Football here and share it, not worry about if it is correct, politically, grammarly, or seriously, and yeah that is not a word, again so what???

No hard feelings and I'm sorry I even jumped into the discussion. But the main idea of your post is that WVU and PSU are falling and Pitt is rising. We have heard this story for the last 15 years, and it simply hasn't been true yet.
I have no feeling either. However, it was most of the people there were from PITT so gave the PITT views more than the few from PSU & WVU, so that would happen? We were overlooking Pittsburgh not Happy Valley and Cheat Lake?

I posted below my first Posts explaining where I agreed and disagreed later. As well as, showing WVU made changes about 4 to 5 years ago and some more this year and is still struggling with those changes?

Penn State has struggled too with all the upheaval and is a year ahead of dealing with New People in High Places!

PITT has the most recent changes in all 3 Areas, Chancellor, Head Coach and AD and not even one year has lapsed!

I also posted how many of PITT Fans blamed Pederson with that 15 year of changes and all were glad he is gone, because that was they all said by everyone about him, he was more self-serving to himself than Pitt or Nebraska and thatw ass aid by the NU President! Pederson stunk after his few years at Pitt, and is a rebuilding AD that should come and go in 5 years, he can't maintain nor build a Top 25 Program.

A few final points on PSU piling up easy wins. Yes, they have always done that. However, you can't blame Franklin.
I agree with that, but the PSU Lawyer did not, he did blame Franklin, he said Franklin is against playing Pitt and other OCC and Penn State Higher Ups are going to have to overrule him. and he added, PSU has to do it, to sell more Tickets and this is the time to solve both PITT-PSU problems. I said it was a discussion not Gospel!

These schedules were made BEFORE he was there and PSU also expected to be dealing with a depleted roster due to sanctions. Agreed, and agreed with KJB too in my other Posts, But Franklin wanted lightweights at Vandy too, and apparently the PSU Lawyer that I think knows more what is happening at PSU than me, said it too? Yet, I took the time to post it to solicit other post like you just gave above, and not one line sentence that were more nonsense that said nothing?

I welcome all opinions, and on substantive information and so long as I can understand it, I really don't care how one writes it, and the response you got was well deserving base on pretty much nothing until now, and I accept your comments and agree where I could, and glad you responded back!

Now RobbyBlitz really has his own posting problems based on what he was thought, but that is on him!

Last edited:
@CaptainSidneyReilly I know this post/comment will not be liked but here goes. Many people feel that us playing PITT is a no-win situation. Win and we were supposed to. Lose and it makes us look bad and we possibly lose out on the recruiting stranglehold we have on PA. TBH, I don't know where I stand on this. At first I wanted to play PITT every year because it would be a rivalry, something we don't currently have. After more thought, I'm not so sure. I know that folks on here don't like the 2:1 deal but is it really in Penn State's best interest to take a 1:1 every year considering all of the circumstances? I don't know. Thoughts?

Penn State:

PITT:

WVU

Enjoyed the info, but, loose lips sink ships. I hope my attorney doesn't talk about my business at parties.

In at least one case we are talking about the same friend.

Penn State attendance will get better but not consistent full capacity like it was during the early-to-mid 00's when they expanded the stadium. Couple reasons (some obvious) -

1.) STEP program (increased cost of tickets & outrageous parking costs)
2.) The B1G is bad (there is and always will be a WIDE gap between UM, MSU & OSU and Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, etc.)
3.) OOC is boring (although Pitt on schedule '16-'19 and WVU & VT in future years as well should be exciting though)
4.) Team is not that good yet (probably will not be a top 15 to 20 finisher until '16 or '17)

PSU has one maybe two sellouts. Either OSU or Michigan. But the OCC schedule impacts tickets, travel, food and motel sales, parking plus game tickets. Who wants to see Buffalo and spend up to 300 dollars in the above. I think the product will be better but the fact remains PSU simply is not a power in the BG1 except in alumni numbers and revenue. As to football, PSU has 1 outright championship in 20 years, and that was 1994. Franklin as a head coach is hardly proven. His record is pretty bad vs good teams. IMHO college football will continue a drain of fan attendance due to costs, HDTV and overall change in fans apathy for PSU football.

@CaptainSidneyReilly I know this post/comment will not be liked but here goes. Many people feel that us playing PITT is a no-win situation. Win and we were supposed to. Lose and it makes us look bad and we possibly lose out on the recruiting stranglehold we have on PA. TBH, I don't know where I stand on this. At first I wanted to play PITT every year because it would be a rivalry, something we don't currently have. After more thought, I'm not so sure. I know that folks on here don't like the 2:1 deal but is it really in Penn State's best interest to take a 1:1 every year considering all of the circumstances? I don't know. Thoughts?
That makes sense...but it is short sighted. The same type of short sightedness that Steve pederson brought to Pitt. One can only hope that (in the case of PSU) that this type of thinking does not prevail, IF PSU wants to be taken seriously in the Big Ten. face some serious facts, PSU is clearly behind MSU, is getting beat regularly by an OSU that is light years ahead and now faces a rejuvinated Michigan. all teams within the division.
OSU faced Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon in 3 straight games to win the NC. THIS AFTER THEY LOST AT HOME TO VTECH. The theory that playing and losing an OC games to a mediocre P5 team is a death wish was disproven in YEAR 1 of a playoff system. Adding more teams to playoff further erodes that discredited theory.

There are good points being made here on both sides of the argument. To sum up the STEP stuff, they really did botch the roll-out due to arrogance, and then it turned out the timing was awful. They have treated long time fans horribly. BUT, they are now collecting more money than they did under the old system, even though a lot of people ditched their season tickets, because of the amount of money it now costs to keep your tickets. So while STEP was a terrible move from a PR standpoint, from a financial standpoint it has been a big success, no matter how much most of us hate it. The financial people are very happy with the results thus far.

As far as Franklin goes, we'll have to wait and see how he does now that he is accumulating more talent. I would venture to say that this year he will still be saddled with a weak OL, so I cannot see how he gets more than 8 wins. But moving forward, he will surely have a lot of talent to work with.

At this point, I like Franklin's chances at success more than Narduzzi's, if I were a betting man. At the end of the day, it's about the talent on the roster.

I disagree with respect, the bigger Revenue Programs still bring in the additional Dollars under high Attendance, Properties Sales, and Contributions than most FBS Programs. These Programs may have higher costs on Coaching Salaries & Staff, Recruiting Camps, Roster Sizes, but they cover the costs in most cases. They are just trying to maximize their revenues but costs are still rising higher than revenues in CFB. They are the ones that go after paying Top Dollar for Coaches and always raising that to keep their coaches.

Additionally, Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan are the Top Ten Programs as far as Attendance and that is to be admired, in any respect. The same for WVU that is usually in the Top 30 or near it! PITT has a long way to go to get that too?

Yet, in spite of these advantages PSU & WVU has over PITT they are not doing that much better and are rebuilding as well.

All 3 Programs need to improve and WVU has had the longer time to do it since 2012 in the Big-12, PSU Sanctions set them back but they are back in recruiting under Franklin, and doing a great job from what I see, and Pitt just got a New Chancellor, Head Coach and AD!

So, we shall see?
Captain.....I defer to the expression "the bigger they are, the harder they fall." all these schools are slaves to football and have built huge athletic programs on the backs of the football program. If football fails, the dominoes will fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT