ADVERTISEMENT

“Coaching”

pittjas

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2016
Pittsburgh
I’ve seen a bunch of posts criticizing our offense and how we have no coaching and so on... and to some degree that is true. Jeff Capel is never going to be the type of coach who runs set plays for 25 seconds every possession.

But, what I want to know is... what would you draw up if you were coaching? We don’t have many scoring options. X and Trey can only score at the rim... teams know that and are keeping guys in the paint. And we can scheme them out of the pain because our bigs can’t shoot. Murphy is our only legitimate threat so it’s pretty easy to shut down 1 three point shooter... and then our forwards and centers can’t make anything in the paint if you have any size at all and they just jump straight up and down.

So with that in mind, what are you going to draw up?

It’s so easy to just say “this team isn’t coached” but it’s so lazy... what they need is better offensive talent. THAT is where Capel really needs to be better.

I’ve seen a bunch of posts criticizing our offense and how we have no coaching and so on... and to some degree that is true. Jeff Capel is never going to be the type of coach who runs set plays for 25 seconds every possession.

But, what I want to know is... what would you draw up if you were coaching? We don’t have many scoring options. X and Trey can only score at the rim... teams know that and are keeping guys in the paint. And we can scheme them out of the pain because our bigs can’t shoot. Murphy is our only legitimate threat so it’s pretty easy to shut down 1 three point shooter... and then our forwards and centers can’t make anything in the paint if you have any size at all and they just jump straight up and down.

So with that in mind, what are you going to draw up?

It’s so easy to just say “this team isn’t coached” but it’s so lazy... what they need is better offensive talent. THAT is where Capel really needs to be better.

The better talent thing works two ways—

(1) You recruit and land 1 and 2 and done guys.

(2) You recruit good 3 and 4 year guys who become those better players by their junior years.

We haven’t succeeded yet in landing guys under option (1) and it is too early to tell on our option (2) which we hope is underway.

That being said, Champagnie is looking very promising. He needs to improve shooting the 3-ball but his shooting form looks good so it could/should happen. Coulibaly is raw but looks promising as a 4. Drumgoole is not living up to his recruiting rating so far and therefore we have no idea if the light will eventually turn on for him as the outside shooter he was supposed to be. The two incoming bigs for 2020 can’t get here soon enough!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT