ADVERTISEMENT

1/6

You’re right. Fire him. He’s been a failure.

This is undoubtedly what you want to hear.
well 1/7 would absolutely be a failure which was the premise of the original post. He's obviously not getting let go this year. The discussion was for at the end of NEXT season.

1/6. At least we'll only have to replace a historical great first team all ACC guy and a first round draft pick though.
You mean those guys that the coach you want fired brought to Pitt?

All a coach can do is put his team in a position to get a bid. I believe that Capel did that this year.

You mean those guys that the coach you want fired brought to Pitt?

All a coach can do is put his team in a position to get a bid. I believe that Capel did that this year.
wow. Tom Crean brought Anthony Edwards to Georgia. Where is he coaching?

well 1/7 would absolutely be a failure which was the premise of the original post.
Again, I wondered who would be the first to bring this up. I figured it would have been from an unserious person though.

In any event context matters and this isn’t a 1/7 coach. We can agree to disagree.

I can’t imagine bringing in someone else for 3 mil per year in the NIL and portal era and doing better.

I know what you are saying. Looking back we were definitely picked 9 or 10 in ACC in preseason so you would have no expectations of making tourney based on that. But Miami also received first place votes and well.

And to be fair we did lose ą lot of experience from last year. So a team decline would not have been shocking.

BUTTTTTTT it has taken a long time to even get here.

It has definitely taken too long to get here, and if they wanted to fire him after 2021-22 I'd have been fine with it.

But... we're here. Had we fallen back into the abyss this past season it'd be one thing, because 2022-23 would just look like an exception, but it looks instead as if we might have something decent going. I'm definitely willing to see if he can keep it up at this point.

LOL. How dare we discuss the state of Pitt basketball program after making the NCAAT once in 6 years. You do realize the goal is to make the single elimination tournament for the national title, correct?

Started a similar thread on the pay board and it’s really weird how thin skinned people are about Capel right now.

It’s not personal and this season was a blast and the team was really good by the end but it was yet another season of failing at the goal - making the NCAAT.

wow. Tom Crean brought Anthony Edwards to Georgia. Where is he coaching?
You mentioned 2 players that you think will need to be replaced. They were only here because of a coach you want to fire. You portray yourself as someone with intimate BB knowledge, but the reality is that you're just some schmuck like the rest of us, but you have some especially dumb ideas.

You mentioned 2 players that you think will need to be replaced. They were only here because of a coach you want to fire. You portray yourself as someone with intimate BB knowledge, but the reality is that you're just some schmuck like the rest of us, but you have some especially dumb ideas.
1/6.

Started a similar thread on the pay board and it’s really weird how thin skinned people are about Capel right now.

It’s not personal and this season was a blast and the team was really good by the end but it was yet another season of failing at the goal - making the NCAAT.
yep 100 percent. You would think every poster on here is related to Capel with the way they act about questioning if the program will ever be good enough. 3/5 should be the standard in a P6 program.

yep 100 percent. You would think every poster on here is related to Capel with the way they act about questioning if the program will ever be good enough. 3/5 should be the standard in a P6 program.
Can you show how many P6 programs meet your 3/5 standard? Or is it a completely made-up standard from an egotistic mind?

It's a fair question. Probably not good timing to start a thread like that, a day after a perceived snub.

I'm in the boat that as long as you're close, you keep rolling with it. Just my 2 cents, but I'm fine with the last 2 years. I'm even more comfortable if he continues to recruit character guys like on today's roster and stays away from players that bring a cirucs like atmosphere with their off court decisions.

I think there are two parts to this question. 1) Is it actually a make or break year? 2) Should Capel be replaced because he is not getting the job done?

1) The administration has shown patience with our coaches, so we all know next year is not actually a make or break year.

2) The Stalling’s era changed my view because I would’ve said different previously. And I’ll preface this by saying, yes, maybe another coach could elevate the program. But I’ve had more fun watching Pitt basketball the past 2 years than at any point since the Howland/early Dixon days. Capel’s teams play hard and are fun to watch. I’m invested and I think we take another step forward next year.

Well, I remember when we were 5/5. At worst, we expected 4/5. But we do have to give Capel a chance to build on what foundation he has now. With the inevitable departures we expect and hopefully some decent portal additions, I'd expect next year to be a 25+ win season and a good seed in the NCAAT.

Can you show how many P6 programs meet your 3/5 standard? Or is it a completely made-up standard from an egotistic mind?
NC State fans are pissed they won the tournament because of the automatic extension it triggered and they had the buyout money ready for Keatts. Go check out Mike Boynton's Oklahoma State teams. Pretty similar overall record and 1/7 tournies. Canned.

You don;t think making the tournament 3/5 times, not saying firing at 2/5 but putting on notice, is an acceptable standard for a P6 coach? This is a results oriented business, not the freaking UN here.

I think there are two parts to this question. 1) Is it actually a make or break year? 2) Should Capel be replaced because he is not getting the job done?

1) The administration has shown patience with our coaches, so we all know next year is not actually a make or break year.

2) The Stalling’s era changed my view because I would’ve said different previously. And I’ll preface this by saying, yes, maybe another coach could elevate the program. But I’ve had more fun watching Pitt basketball the past 2 years than at any point since the Howland/early Dixon days. Capel’s teams play hard and are fun to watch. I’m invested and I think we take another step forward next year.
Very reasonable, rational take.

COnsidering Capel took over an absolutely dumpster fire of a program, steered it through a pandemic where many coaches admitted they couldn't do proper recruiting, etc and now the program seems to be stabilized and had 2 20 wins seasons in a row, you'd be dumb to fire Capel unless they go like 8-25 or something like that.

Not all situations are mirror images of each other.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
It's a fair question. Probably not good timing to start a thread like that, a day after a perceived snub.

I'm in the boat that as long as you're close, you keep rolling with it. Just my 2 cents, but I'm fine with the last 2 years. I'm even more comfortable if he continues to recruit character guys like on today's roster and stays away from players that bring a cirucs like atmosphere with their off court decisions.
The question isn't whether he should be retained after this season, nobody reasonable would advocate for firing him now. The question is should he be retained if we miss the tournament again next season?

It's a fair question, and the answers are really not right or wrong, they're just people's opinions.

This was a bad luck year, but I also don't think the start to the ACC season was excusable. We weren't just losing, we were looking bad doing it. Really bad. It looked very much like a team that lacked a leader on and off the floor.

Last edited:
COnsidering Capel took over an absolutely dumpster fire of a program, steered it through a pandemic where many coaches admitted they couldn't do proper recruiting, etc and now the program seems to be stabilized and had 2 20 wins seasons in a row, you'd be dumb to fire Capel unless they go like 8-25 or something like that.

Not all situations are mirror images of each other.
True, no one else had to deal with the pandemic. That's why all coaches have been retained who were head coaches during it.

The pandemic shouldn't ever be mentioned on any job performance review ever.

Declining the NIT sends a clear message that the program views itself as an NCAA or bust type of program though.
Yes, they're setting a standard that's entirely reasonable to judge them by. I'm not even remotely suggesting that firing Capel should be on anyone's mind right now. And if next season plays out like this season, and we're in the first four out again, I imagine Capel will get to return for Year 8. But at some point it has to become acceptable to expect him to meet his own standard. You think you're better than the NIT, you need to start proving it. And soon.

The question isn't whether he should be retained after this season, nobody reasonable would advocate for that,. The question is should he be retained if we miss the tournament again next season?

It's a fair question, and the answers are really not right or wrong, they're just people's opinions.

This was a bad luck year, but I also don't think the start to the ACC season was excusable. We weren't just losing, we were looking bad doing it. Really bad. It looked very much like a team that lacked a leader on and off the floor.
They had very bad luck with all the breaks going the wrong way the last week. They brought some of that on themselves with the weak non conference, losing to mizzou and as you stated the start in the ACC. They also had a lot of luck the last week last year to remain in, so it evens out.

1) Maybe, maybe not. If you want to read tea leaves into Capel's future at Pitt, if Capel goes into next season with his contract still only running through 2027, I think it's entirely possible they make a change if things go off the rails. If they extend him, then good chance he's around longer if he wants to be, even if the results aren't ideal. And sometimes, things like this aren't always wins & losses related.

2) When they figure it out, they are fun to watch. Until then, they can be frustrating. They just really need to push and find a way to start to gel sooner if possible. But there's a human element to that, and and with so much roster turnover, that might be asking something that's not realistic. But it is satisfying to see them grow up.

Reactions: Pitt2009
The question isn't whether he should be retained after this season, nobody reasonable would advocate for that,. The question is should he be retained if we miss the tournament again next season?

There are 4 things that are true at the same time regarding this and none of it has to do with Capel.

1) Ish was hurt with the bad shoulder, his playing time was severely reduced, and he actually missed a couple games.

2) Hinson went through a horrible shooting slump which can happen to any shooter for whatever reason

3) Fede looked like he was on another planet during half this season. No one has any idea as to why, but to me, with how poor his body language looked, it looked like he had severe depression, maybe a parent or something passed away or something happened to him, dumped by girlfriend or something

4) Lowe was hurt at the start of the season. And he got way better as this season moved forward.

Again, none of these have anything to do with Capel. We were down to 8 scholarship players this year and as far as Im concerned, its a miracle we even finished the season as good as we did . You can't even practice correctly that short handed.

Agree.

Yeah. I get the original question. But I had a follow up question to Insider that if next year played out the same way as this year, then do you bring him back? That's where I was going with it. Obviously, nobody would advocate for a change after this year.

There are 4 things that are true at the same time regarding this and none of it has to do with Capel.

1) Ish was hurt with the bad shoulder, his playing time was severely reduced, and he actually missed a couple games.

2) Hinson went through a horrible shooting slump which can happen to any shooter for whatever reason

3) Fede looked like he was on another planet during half this season. No one has any idea as to why, but to me, with how poor his body language looked, it looked like he had severe depression, maybe a parent or something passed away or something happened to him, dumped by girlfriend or something

4) Lowe was hurt at the start of the season. And he got way better as this season moved forward.

Again, none of these have anything to do with Capel. We were down to 8 scholarship players this year and as far as Im concerned, its a miracle we even finished the season as good as we did . You can't even practice correctly that short handed.
You do this literally every year. Every team has injuries. Every team has suspensions etc. Not fielding a full scholarship roster isn't an excuse every single year.

How do you think the lack of post development isn't on the coaching staff? Who is it on then? There has never been a post that got better in the post while here.

Agree.

Yeah. I get the original question. But I had a follow up question to Insider that if next year played out the same way as this year, then do you bring him back? That's where I was going with it. Obviously, nobody would advocate for a change after this year.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. Period.

Either you recruit better to win more, or you dont and you get fired.

Capel has recruited much better. We have 2 immediate impact players next year. And we are on the cusp of getting a commit from a 4 star stud.

Two things can be true at the same time.

1: @BballinsiderfromPitt is right that at the end of the day the goal is to make the tournament and another missed tournament for Capel would be very bad.

2: He can also be a bit of a troll who will try to find the most negative spin on things possible. Last year it was "Oh no! How will we ever replace production from old dudes with lame freshman?" This year it's "Oh no! How will we replace Hinson and Bub's production?" Next year it'll be something else.

no not that 1/6. One first four appearance in 6 years. Is next year the make or break year for this staff? If we go 1 FF/7 and don’t move on, what are we doing here?
Give it a rest . From the 1-5 start you just saw the best Bb Pitt has played in a long time . The staff did a great job this yr and if the foundation of the team stays one or two portal guys will make this a really good team .

You do this literally every year. Every team has injuries. Every team has suspensions etc. Not fielding a full scholarship roster isn't an excuse every single year.

How do you think the lack of post development isn't on the coaching staff? Who is it on then? There has never been a post that got better in the post while here.

Im not falling for this fishing thread that you originally started which is exactly what it is.

But our 7 footer looked dam good against UNC and finished the season shooting 41% from 3. Guillermo will be a prime pick for ACC breakout player of the year next year.

And as you must be talking centers, because Hinson, Champ, and Mo Gueye turned out much better than anyone anticipated when they committed.

Yes, Center is an issue. But Guillermo isnt a true center.

Yes, they're setting a standard that's entirely reasonable to judge them by. I'm not even remotely suggesting that firing Capel should be on anyone's mind right now. And if next season plays out like this season, and we're in the first four out again, I imagine Capel will get to return for Year 8. But at some point it has to become acceptable to expect him to meet his own standard. You think you're better than the NIT, you need to start proving it. And soon.

Capel and the program as a whole have clearly demonstrated that NIT is not in Pitt's expectations. We expect NCAAT and nothing short of that will be acceptable.

Now it's time for Capel and the team to put up or shut up. Show us next year that Pitt will get that NCAAT bid, and not a play-in game. The expectation next year is for a decent seed at minimum, 7 - 9 seed. Doing better than that would be great.

Give it a rest . From the 1-5 start you just saw the best Bb Pitt has played in a long time . The staff did a great job this yr and if the foundation of the team stays one or two portal guys will make this a really good team .
I've said multiple times on this website that this was his best coaching job at Pitt. If you could read, this is about whether or not we brick on the tourney NEXT year. Thanks for coming.

Im not falling for this fishing thread that you originally started which is exactly what it is.

But our 7 footer looked dam good against UNC and finished the season shooting 41% from 3. Guillermo will be a prime pick for ACC breakout player of the year next year.

And as you must be talking centers, because Hinson, Champ, and Mo Gueye turned out much better than anyone anticipated when they committed.

Yes, Center is an issue. But Guillermo isnt a true center.
So what, if anything, is the coach's fault if it isn't lack of recruiting, making the tournaments, fielding a full roster or developing players?

Those 3 players aren't bigs. They're 4's. Maybe 2042 will be the breakout year! Who is on our radar for the 2041 class?

Context
I agree with you here. But if Capel goes 3/6 starting with last season, I have no problem with it.

This was a good year with extenuating circumstances. If you start stacking years like this one and miss the tourney, that’s one thing. But if you start stacking years like this one you’re in the tourney almost every year.

Context

I agree with you here. But if Capel goes 3/6 starting with last season, I have no problem with it.

This was a good year with extenuating circumstances. If you start stacking years like this one and miss the tourney, that’s one thing. But if you start stacking years like this one you’re in the tourney almost every year.
This was the basic whole premise of the post which had to turn into me trolling a bit because I dare even question what would happen if we miss again next year. I concur with your statement.

True, no one else had to deal with the pandemic. That's why all coaches have been retained who were head coaches during it.

The pandemic shouldn't ever be mentioned on any job performance review ever.
Sure it could because we were squarely in the shadow of being the worst program in P6 and Capel couldn’t recruit and get kids to campus. How do you rebuild in that situation vs stable programs? C’mon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT