ADVERTISEMENT

1/6

This was the basic whole premise of the post which had to turn into me trolling a bit because I dare even question what would happen if we miss again next year. I concur with your statement.
No. Your 1/6 rhetoric lacks context and isn’t a fair take.

Im not falling for this fishing thread that you originally started which is exactly what it is.

But our 7 footer looked dam good against UNC and finished the season shooting 41% from 3. Guillermo will be a prime pick for ACC breakout player of the year next year.

And as you must be talking centers, because Hinson, Champ, and Mo Gueye turned out much better than anyone anticipated when they committed.

Yes, Center is an issue. But Guillermo isnt a true center.
Guillermo? I don't see him ever getting a lot more PT than what he does now. He's not a true center. He's not a true anything. Does he not scare you with the ball? He makes some of the most routine passes become an adventure sometimes.

NC State fans are pissed they won the tournament because of the automatic extension it triggered and they had the buyout money ready for Keatts. Go check out Mike Boynton's Oklahoma State teams. Pretty similar overall record and 1/7 tournies. Canned.

You don;t think making the tournament 3/5 times, not saying firing at 2/5 but putting on notice, is an acceptable standard for a P6 coach? This is a results oriented business, not the freaking UN here.
You didn't answer my question. Let me simplify it. How many ACC teams have made 3 of the last 5 tourneys?

Another point you continue to ignore is that Capel inherited a complete dumpster fire. Even if you want to stick with your completely arbitrary 3/5 standard, when do you start that clock? No way it should started before year 4 given his situation. So your 1/6 theme is completely insane.

You didn't answer my question. Let me simplify it. How many ACC teams have made 3 of the last 5 tourneys?

Another point you continue to ignore is that Capel inherited a complete dumpster fire. Even if you want to stick with your completely arbitrary 3/5 standard, when do you start that clock? No way it should started before year 4 given his situation. So your 1/6 theme is completely insane.
year FOUR. holy hell. Why start then? How about year 17?

No. Your 1/6 rhetoric lacks context and isn’t a fair take.
Well considering I said it would be after next season which would be 1/7 it's an incredibly fair take. But you guys are right. Let's wait an entire decade to decide. Maybe not even then. If we get to year 15 and the program is treading water, let's evaluate then. We, on the message board, have zero say unless we're writing the buyout check. So discussing it means absolutely nothing.

True, no one else had to deal with the pandemic. That's why all coaches have been retained who were head coaches during it.

The pandemic shouldn't ever be mentioned on any job performance review ever.
Not every coach was coming into a dumpster fire like Capel was at Pitt at the most inopportune time. Like I said, not every situation is the same.

And since then, with the patience, Capel has been turning things around. Again, another factor that may not be the same as other coaching situations.

Guillermo? I don't see him ever getting a lot more PT than what he does now. He's not a true center. He's not a true anything. Does he not scare you with the ball? He makes some of the most routine passes become an adventure sometimes.

He's likely the starting power forward next year.

Reactions: singregardless
Not every coach was coming into a dumpster fire like Capel was at Pitt at the most inopportune time. Like I said, not every situation is the same.

And since then, with the patience, Capel has been turning things around. Again, another factor that may not be the same as other coaching situations.
When a coach is taking over a program after someone is being fired, do you think they're able to take over a program that has such low expectations that 3 conference wins merits an extension? This was a dream scenario for a coach to take over and had UConn not been open we may have landed Hurley.

When a coach is taking over a program after someone is being fired, do you think they're able to take over a program that has such low expectations that 3 conference wins merits an extension? This was a dream scenario for a coach to take over and had UConn not been open we may have landed Hurley.
Hurley was never coming here.

As of today maybe. Let's hope not though.

He had 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists against 1 seed North Carolina. And only played 21 minutes.

Blake Hinson played all 40 minutes and had 1 rebound against North Carolina. This has been Hinson's problem all year long and why he is no where near as hard to repace as people think. He's weak and very inconsistent on the glass, and he is a below average defender and was one of the weakest defensive players on our entire roster. Maybe the weakest outside the stretch of games no one knew what planet Fede was on.

Hinson = Champ. Elite offense capability, bad defense.

Give me Troutman all day long over both of them.

• Angry
Reactions: PittPoker
Well considering I said it would be after next season which would be 1/7 it's an incredibly fair take. But you guys are right. Let's wait an entire decade to decide. Maybe not even then. If we get to year 15 and the program is treading water, let's evaluate then. We, on the message board, have zero say unless we're writing the buyout check. So discussing it means absolutely nothing.
Your “decade” is only a number. Realistically the clock started last year. What happened before that isn’t really relevant except to those who are looking to paint an ugly picture. This is clearly a different program now. It’s fully on him now. No excuses and it’s been two good years.

Reactions: ThePanthers
He had 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists against 1 seed North Carolina. And only played 21 minutes.

Blake Hinson played all 40 minutes and had 1 rebound against North Carolina. This has been Hinson's problem all year long and why he is no where near as hard to repace as people think. He's weak and very inconsistent on the glass, and he is a below average defender and was one of the weakest defensive players on our entire roster. Maybe the weakest outside the stretch of games no one knew what planet Fede was on.

Hinson = Champ. Elite offense capability, bad defense.

Give me Troutman all day long over both of them.
Not impressed with GDG.

I don't think Hinson is THAT hard to replace either if you're talking all-around game. At least he shouldn't be.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Ask TJ Otzelberger.
Always the example. But as I said on the pay board, that would be a tough ask for even a louisville to pull off next year. But Pitt ain’t louisville. And without knowing, I assume ISU had more resources than what JC had here when he arrived.

There are 4 things that are true at the same time regarding this and none of it has to do with Capel.

1) Ish was hurt with the bad shoulder, his playing time was severely reduced, and he actually missed a couple games.

2) Hinson went through a horrible shooting slump which can happen to any shooter for whatever reason

3) Fede looked like he was on another planet during half this season. No one has any idea as to why, but to me, with how poor his body language looked, it looked like he had severe depression, maybe a parent or something passed away or something happened to him, dumped by girlfriend or something

4) Lowe was hurt at the start of the season. And he got way better as this season moved forward.

Again, none of these have anything to do with Capel. We were down to 8 scholarship players this year and as far as Im concerned, its a miracle we even finished the season as good as we did . You can't even practice correctly that short handed.
I watched those games. Guys standing around on the offensive end, no ball movement, just throwing up 3s, and Carrington like a black hole with the ball trying to force it very time he touched it. Poor effort and rotation on the defensive end. Bad body language and sulking everywhere you look. I remember thinking to myself this team is rudderless, undisciplined, they need a strong coach, and they don't have one.

So I don;t necessarily disagree with you on the injury issues, but we could have, should have played a lot better team basketball, with a lot better effort, shot selection, etc., than we did in that first several ACC games, and if we had, chances are we'd have won at least 1-2 of them and made the tournament.

The question isn't whether he should be retained after this season, nobody reasonable would advocate for firing him now. The question is should he be retained if we miss the tournament again next season?

It's a fair question, and the answers are really not right or wrong, they're just people's opinions.

This was a bad luck year, but I also don't think the start to the ACC season was excusable. We weren't just losing, we were looking bad doing it. Really bad. It looked very much like a team that lacked a leader on and off the floor.
True, but circumstances matter. You can't simply state NCAAT or fired.

The thread is stupid at this time because there are a lot of moving parts that need sorted out before next season even begins. If Capel doesn't get the financial support he needs to retain or build his roster, it's all irrelevant and a moot point.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
There's a fired coach coaching in the NCAA tournament right now. Coaches get almost no leash nowadays. if they miss the tournament next year and have been to 1 tournament in 7 years, what does any of the other stuff matter?

Big ***** though

This teams was ABSOLUTELY and NCAAT team. It is clear as day. In my mind, the season was success because he delivered an NCAAT resume but was kept out due to 5 bid stealers + Colorado, Miss St, and A&M winning their ways in. That's literally 8 fewer bids right there. If just 4 of those 8 go our way, we get in.

You can blame him for the schedule but even then you could say he thought WVU and Mizzou would be good.

That isn't true. Matt Painter inquired about the job and Barnes had already picked who Todd Turner asked him to pick. Do you guys really think if Pitt fired Capel there wouldn't be 1000 coaches waiting in line to make 23 million dollars over 7 years? I don't think you understand what drives the coaching industry.

Interesting you bring up Painter because at that time I said they should go after him because Purdue fans werent happy with all his early exits and could be looking for a scenery change.

Big ***** though

This teams was ABSOLUTELY and NCAAT team. It is clear as day. In my mind, the season was success because he delivered an NCAAT resume but was kept out due to 5 bid stealers + Colorado, Miss St, and A&M winning their ways in. That's literally 8 fewer bids right there. If just 4 of those 8 go our way, we get in.

You can blame him for the schedule but even then you could say he thought WVU and Mizzou would be good.
And literally the opposite happened last year to get Pitt in… so the luck evens out.

By definition, this is not an NCAA tournament team.

Reactions: pittjas
Big ***** though

Everything has changed and seems to change by year, but the way the committee used to put teams in, there was first a voting system on a handful of teams, then each committee member had to rank each team in a pod, say, 8 for example teams had to be ranked in order of who should get in.

And you know darn well that Scott Barnes not only did not have Pitt on the bubble as a vote, but he voted us last every time in the selection process.

It only takes 1 or 2 knuckleheads on the committee to completely skew the seeding and knock a team out. Which is why we finished behind the likes of Indiana State and their terrible resume.

Everything has changed and seems to change by year, but the way the committee used to put teams in, there was first a voting system on a handful of teams, then each committee member had to rank each team in a pod, say, 8 for example teams had to be ranked in order of who should get in.

And you know darn well that Scott Barnes not only did not have Pitt on the bubble as a vote, but he voted us last every time in the selection process.

It only takes 1 or 2 knuckleheads on the committee to completely skew the seeding and knock a team out. Which is why we finished behind the likes of Indiana State and their terrible resume.
Indiana State had a much better NET than Pitt, in fact the highest ever to be left out of the tournament.

So the tin foil hats are now out because it wasn’t enough to risk his entire career on hiring Kevin Stallings, he now has to have it out for Pitt 8 years later. He has been plotting his revenge on how he can take out on a bubble Pitt team for 8’years and he finally got Pitt back?

You meat riders sure invent some insane conspiracies. If you work hard enough, you’ll get Scott Barnes charged with the JFK assassination

Indiana State had a much better NET than Pitt, in fact the highest ever to be left out of the tournament.

So the tin foil hats are now out because it wasn’t enough to risk his entire career on hiring Kevin Stallings, he now has to have it out for Pitt 8 years later. He has been plotting his revenge on how he can take out on a bubble Pitt team for 8’years and he finally got Pitt back?

You meat riders sure invent some insane conspiracies. If you work hard enough, you’ll get Scott Barnes charged with the JFK assassination

I cant say we didnt get in because of Barnes but that was obviously 1 vote against us going in.

And literally the opposite happened last year to get Pitt in… so the luck evens out.

Some truth to this but this year's team has a better resume. Capel did a great job to actually improve on last year's team and did it with freshmen, and not Micky D's freshmen. A non-Micky D's freshmen backcourt on the verge of the tournament? That honestly may never happen again. These types of freshmen dont play large roles anymore.

True, but circumstances matter. You can't simply state NCAAT or fired.

The tread is stupid at this time because there are a lot of moving parts that need sorted out before next season even begins. If Capel doesn't get the financial support he needs to retain or build his roster, it's all irrelevant and a moot point.
I suppose my only point is, many posters seem to think Capel is off the hot seat. I don't think he has done enough over 6 years for his seat to be entirely comfortable. I also don't think it's roasting hot, but it could get there if next year is another March blank.

Some truth to this but this year's team has a better resume. Capel did a great job to actually improve on last year's team and did it with freshmen, and not Micky D's freshmen. A non-Micky D's freshmen backcourt on the verge of the tournament? That honestly may never happen again. These types of freshmen dont play large roles anymore.
A non-Micky D's freshmen backcourt on the verge of the tournament? That honestly may never happen again.

Jesus H Christ do you come up with some bizarre, sweeping statements.

A non-Micky D's freshmen backcourt on the verge of the tournament? That honestly may never happen again.

Jesus H Christ do you come up with some bizarre, sweeping statements.

I stand by what I said. I dont think you'll ever see a non-McD AA freshman freshman backcourt in the NCAAT. Its not 2019 anymore. All upperclass portal dudes.

I've said multiple times on this website that this was his best coaching job at Pitt. If you could read, this is about whether or not we brick on the tourney NEXT year. Thanks for coming.
Who’s on the roster , how much money does he have to work with to retain and sign portal players , does the team have any injuries to vital players ?

He’s proved he can coach and you’d love nothing better than he lays an egg and get fired . Guess he wouldn’t sign your Pitt jersey , but you’ve been anti Capel and staff for yrs ….no use denying it because you have . He’s going nowhere unless its his choice and I don’t get the impression that’s his intentions.

Who’s on the roster , how much money does he have to work with to retain and sign portal players , does the team have any injuries to vital players ?

He’s proved he can coach and you’d love nothing better than he lays an egg and get fired . Guess he wouldn’t sign your Pitt jersey , but you’ve been anti Capel and staff for yrs ….no use denying it because you have . He’s going nowhere unless its his choice and I don’t get the impression that’s his intentions.
1/6. Don’t care who the coach is. 1/7 is unacceptable

1/6. Don’t care who the coach is. 1/7 is unacceptable
They really should be 2/6 right now . Pitt got hosed this yr . ( and his bosses know )

It will not be lost on those that matter that this team started playing a quality of Bb that will start filling up the Pete again . If anything an extension is coming .

They really should be 2/6 right now . Pitt got hosed this yr . ( and his bosses know )

It will not be lost on those that matter that this team started playing a quality of Bb that will start filling up the Pete again . If anything an extension is coming .
1) they’re not gonna extend him. Maybe after next year.
2) yes. BidStealers, the stupid non use of the eye test, last 10, extremely unlucky. I 100 percent agree… however, beat Mizzou, play one other good non conference game probably still in and…
3) last year the exact opposite luck happened. If you remember we laid 2 stinkers to end the season, thought it was over, then everything broke right and made it. These things tend to even out.
4) there is not one point where I’m advocating to change coaches this year in this thread. Nor necessarily next…
5) if we do not make it next year and we are 1/7, the ceiling of what this program can be with Capel next to be examined. That’s it. I don’t understand why that’s such a hot take

You might be surprised to find out that 1/7 is more than acceptable to the real insiders from Pitt.

Because they know that "7" is a garbage number for one thing.
lol ok. Would love to know who these “real insiders” are. The Capel Bro’s?

7 is the amount of seasons. 23.5 million would be the amount of money spent to make on just his salary to make that one tourney.

If you think those aren’t significant numbers in college athletics, not sure what to tell you. What program would be ok with this outside of the fans on this board? Penn State, DePaul, Georgia Tech, etc. and they spend significantly less $ on salaries and budget than Pitt who is in top 25 in the country in both.

Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT