ADVERTISEMENT

1st try at a Pitt YouTube channel

Over the years, I've collected about 560 TV broadcasts of Pitt basketball and football games solely as a hobby. I'm taking my first crack at a Pitt YouTube channel just for fun - no interest at all in ads, making money, etc. I have a day job!

I just uploaded my first broadcast - Florida at Pitt at the Fieldhouse from January 1988 on CBS with Charles Smith dominating Dwayne Schintzius - one of my all-time favorite games and ironic that both of my daughters ended up at UF.

If anybody has any requests for future uploads, let me know.

" " if you're curious.

H2P
Schintzius left the floor with tears in his eyes.

Just a quick thank you to Jeff for doing this!
Years ago we exchanged a couple of copies of games through our shared obsession with archiving Pitt football and basketball.

My effort has trailed off as life got more complicated! Thanks so much for sharing .

Reactions: Jeff_Hauser
This is awesome, thanks Jeff, really enjoying the games you've uploaded so far! If you're still taking requests, a few ideas.

2008 Pitt vs WVU - Ronald Ramon game winner
2010 Pitt vs WVU - 3 OT
2010 Pitt vs Providence - Gibbs game winner
2011 Pitt vs Syracuse - Pitt scores first 19 points

if not no worries, thanks!

This is really cool. Appreciate your efforts. I was too young to really see Clyde Vaughan. The year we beat G’Town with Patrick Ewing would be nice. The game Page dunked on Boumje at G’Town is another one.
George Allen had a good game that day.

This is awesome, thanks Jeff, really enjoying the games you've uploaded so far! If you're still taking requests, a few ideas.

2010 Pitt vs WVU - 3 OT

@GoPitt85 provided the first mention of Ashton Gibbs. His buzzer beater gave Pitt a double bye into the Big East tournament in 2010.

""

2010 Pitt vs WVU - 3 OT

Pitt starts the game 19-0 and then allows Syracuse to go on a 17-0 run, fortunately the Panthers held on.

""

I've pretty much hit every generation/team of the videos so far. My take. I don't think the current team could beat any of them (that includes the '91 team). And those Howland teams? I doubt this current lineup could score 40 points. It is refreshing to watch good basketball and not watch a team where a great individual play determines whether they score or not.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Requests if you have time...

Would love to see that 1956 Hennon game you mentioned earlier.

Also curious to revisit the 1993 upset over Seton Hall with Terry Dehere (1/16/1993).

For personal reasons, at St Francis PA on Dec 1, 1990. It was a fairly tight game. SFU went to the tourney that year (their best team since the Stokes years) and it is the last time we'll probably ever play in Loretto.

I feel like there should be a game with Vonteego. Maybe the upset over Kentucky in the Puerto Rico Shootout in 99.

Maybe some of the old Georgetown brawl games (circa 88). Just remember fights breaking out nearly every game but can't remember which games they specifically were.

Thanks everything so far and thanks in advance for anything else you get up.

Last edited:
I've always been mystified that Pitt shows so few clips of anything before Howland. I was not alive during Billy Knight's career and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a single clip of him.
Here are 2 videos that feature Billy Knight from his early pro career. Enjoy!

Also curious to revisit the 1993 upset over Seton Hall with Terry Dehere (1/16/1993).

For personal reasons, at St Francis PA on Dec 1, 1990. It was a fairly tight game. SFU went to the tourney that year (their best team since the Stokes years) and it is the last time we'll probably ever play in Loretto.

I feel like there should be a game with Vonteego.

Maybe some of the old Georgetown brawl games (circa 88). Just remember fights breaking out nearly every game but can't remember which games they specifically were.

The Terry Dehere game is when my wife and I started dating. That was a great, great night.

Reactions: HOF Coach

I feel like there should be a game with Vonteego. Maybe the upset over Kentucky in the Puerto Rico Shootout in 99.

Here's an idea for Vonteego ...

1997 against Villanova when Jason Maile had 40 points. Vonteego played really well that game as well.

How about the 1988-89 win at the carrier dome and Jason Maile unloading againt nova in 1996. Kinda the highlight under Willard IMHO.

I don't know if I requested this yet ...

How about one (or both) of Pitt's wins in the 2001 BET against either Notre Dame or Syracuse.

This will allow us to get a look at Ricky Greer and Hawkins.

We don't have the 2009-2010 season yet.

Three good choices are at the Carrier Dome when we scored 55 points in the second half.

The comeback win against L-ville at the Pete.

(Obviously) 3 OT's against the Hoopies.

Reactions: cabe23

OK @CrazyPaco , here is the Puerto Rico shootout. We didn't know it then but this game turned out to be the beginning of the end of the Ralph Willard era. The Panther lineup had Vonteego Hawkins, Ricky Greer, Attila Cosby, Kellii Taylor (and the infamous Fred Primus off the bench) and started the year 6-0 with wins over nationally ranked Xavier and Kentucky. But the next day after this game, Pitt gets blown out by Maryland by 35 and everything spiraled out of control from that point to a 14-16 season and Willard being fired at season's end. The talent was there, but the chemistry experiment turned out awful.

""

I can't add much about this one as it was played 9 years before I was born (although perhaps @PittMan 72 watched it from his crib LOL). Here's what little I know - this Pitt team featured Don Hennon and Bob Lazor as its leading scorers and it was coached by Robert Timmons. This was their first road win of the year and they ended up 16-11 and in the NCAA tournament (although in those days, making the NIT may have been more prestigious). Anyways if you're curious:

""

Last edited:
OK @CrazyPaco , here is the Puerto Rico shootout. We didn't know it then but this game turned out to be the beginning of the end of the Ralph Willard era. The Panther lineup had Vonteego Hawkins, Ricky Greer, Attila Cosby, Kellii Taylor (and the infamous Fred Primus off the bench) and started the year 6-0 with wins over nationally ranked Xavier and Kentucky. But the next day after this game, Pitt gets blown out by Maryland by 35 and everything spiraled out of control from that point to a 14-16 season and Willard being fired at season's end. The talent was there, but the chemistry experiment turned out awful.

" "

After this game, which had me SO excited, we lost 9 of our next 12 including the infamous El-Amin on the table game.

Well @CrazyPaco , the 1993 win over Seton Hall is here. The only things I remember about this was that Garrick Thomas hit the game winner for the Panthers and that Johnny Majors was introduced to the crowd at halftime to welcome him back to Pitt for his second stint.

Unfortunately I do not have the St. Francis game in my collection, sorry about that.

BTW I do not know why Brooke Shields showed up as the thumbnail image and do not care, I'm not changing it!

""

I can't add much about this one as it was played 9 years before I was born (although perhaps @PittMan 72 watched it from his crib LOL). Here's what little I know - this Pitt team featured Don Hennon and Bob Lazor as its leading scorers and it was coached by Robert Timmons. This was their first road win of the year and they ended up 16-11 and in the NCAA tournament (although in those days, making the NIT may have been more prestigious). Anyways if you're curious:

" "

The NIT wasn't more prestigious by the 50s. Even by the late 40s, it was sort of debatable. During WWII, Red Cross charity games took place between the NCAA and NIT champion from 1943 to 1945. All three were swept by the NCAA champ. That, and the fact the NCAA had moved to MSG in 1943, sort of ended the preference for the NIT among schools invited to both. The NCAA pulled out of MSG after the point shaving scandal in 1951. The vast majority of ranked teams and conference champions participated in the NCAA since at least 1951.

Thank you again!

Reactions: Jeff_Hauser
After this game, which had me SO excited, we lost 9 of our next 12 including the infamous El-Amin on the table game.

Yeah, finally, after all the injuries and false starts I thought we were finally starting to put it together this year.....ooops.

Well @CrazyPaco , the 1993 win over Seton Hall is here. The only things I remember about this was that Garrick Thomas hit the game winner for the Panthers and that Johnny Majors was introduced to the crowd at halftime to welcome him back to Pitt for his second stint.

Unfortunately I do not have the St. Francis game in my collection, sorry about that.

BTW I do not know why Brooke Shields showed up as the thumbnail image and do not care, I'm not changing it!

" "

Wow, a young Clark Kellogg doing color.

Yours truly with some screen time. Have never seen the broadcast.

Last edited:
Where could I find Pitt vs West Virginia from February 2, 1963? Or any game from 62-63 or 63-64.
I’m almost certain that is the game Dave Roman hit the game winner at the buzzer only to have it nullified because someone from Pitt called a timeout.

Pitt starts the game 19-0 and then allows Syracuse to go on a 17-0 run, fortunately the Panthers held on.

" "
I think I had this confused with another game.

What year did devendorf hit that girl? That happened near the Pitt Cuse game at the Pete. I remember he came out way earlier than everyone else to warm up before tip. Entire zoo chanted “Kimberly Smith” at him the whole time. I thought that was game where we started 19-0 but I may have this wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT