ADVERTISEMENT

4th in the ACC at the mid point

Would the double bye hurt their NCAA chances? That is, would it be better to win one against a lessor team then lose, or be one and done out of the double bye spot?

I think 7 ACC teams get in.

We would need to be "clearly" in the top 7.

Would the double bye hurt their NCAA chances? That is, would it be better to win one against a lessor team then lose, or be one and done out of the double bye spot?

This is a good question. Imagine being a 4 seed and playing a road game at 5 UNC in your 1st game? But does being a 5 seed and beating 12 BC really help you? Losing that game could put you out.

Beating Miami at home I think on Saturday even if you lose a close game at North Carolina next week combined with winning the games you have left that you are supposed to win and should win gets them in I believe without much issue. If they finish 13-7 in the ACC with 20 wins and wins against Virginia,UNC,Miami,Wake and at NC State and at Syracuse and the neutral court win against Northwestern I think is good enough to get in.

Virginia hasn’t lost since Pitt beat them (that’s 5 straight), and UNC has only lost to Virginia since Pitt beat them too (that’s 6 of 7). Cuse, NC St and Northwestern wins look a bit stronger than they did at the time.

Going to be an interesting finish. Feels like splitting with Miami would be big, but that’s assuming they take care of business and could probably only afford 1 additional slip up if they lose @ UNC. And that thought is a bit scary, but we’ll see.

Reactions: Drew1208
@VT is also a remaining quad 1 win chance. If they can split with Miami and split @UNC/@VT that would be a solid resume.

Last edited:
5-5 the rest of the way?
If Pitt wins every game Pitt is favored by Sagarin's computer Pitt to go 6-4 second half and finish (13-7 ACC, 20-11 overall) heading into AC Tourney.

ESPN's prediction based on percent likelihood to win each game predicts 5.91 wins -- again 6-4 second half.

Winning every individual game Pitt predicted to win by ESPN would result in a a 7-3 second half.

The key is the next game vs Miami in Pittsburgh. Win and 7-3 is likely. Lose and 6-4 is likely.

Only 3 games have Pitt favored by by double digits and only 3 Pitt opponents are favored by less than 5.

If they get a double bye it means they already won that extra game or two.

@VT is also a remaining quad 1 win chance. If they can split with Miami and split @UNC/@VT that would be a solid resume.

If we split with Miami probably means we win tomorrow. That is a difficult thing to say right now. It could happen. We've beaten UNC and UVA on our home court, so we can certainly beat Miami. But if that's going to happen, we'll have to play shut-down, strangling defense, limit turnovers, rebound especially on the offensive end to finish opportunities, move the ball, and keep hitting some 3's when the interior isn't there. That's a perfect storm. Hope it happens.

If we split with Miami probably means we win tomorrow. That is a difficult thing to say right now. It could happen. We've beaten UNC and UVA on our home court, so we can certainly beat Miami. But if that's going to happen, we'll have to play shut-down, strangling defense, limit turnovers, rebound especially on the offensive end to finish opportunities, move the ball, and keep hitting some 3's when the interior isn't there. That's a perfect storm. Hope it happens.
They're not a big squad which I think helps us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT