ADVERTISEMENT

A rest stop somewhere in Ohio

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
While I'm waiting for Sheetz to cook me up something good, I figured I'd post about the Dayton experience.

- Really nice and vocal Pitt crowd. I'd estimate 1000. The Dayton neutrals around me were rooting for Pitt too but were there generally to see a good game. I know this probably doesn't say much since our fans were absent for most of the year, but that was one of the loudest "home environments" we were in. I didn't go to all the Pitt games at The Pete this season but the Pitt people at this game were so into it, I would think it would rank ahead of those Lou/GT/BC midweekers.

- Dayton sure does love basketball. I couldn't believe the event was sold out and Pitt didnt even have any to sell so I had to Stubhub. And no thanks to UPitt89, I ended up closest to Mississippi State's bench which the seating charts listed as "visitor." To be fair, SEMO was the visitor and sat there the first game so maybe they switch up home and visitor benches for the 2nd game for whatever reason. That said, I didnt understand how SEMO had what appeared to be a full lower level section across from their bench and Corpus Christi had a smaller but discernible section behind their bench. I did not notice any official Pitt or Miss St sections. But Pitt fans were scattered pretty well everywhere. I dont want to make it seem like the place was packed with us but there were enough to make it feel like somewhat of a home atmosphere. And considering there were no primary market tickets, that was pretty cool.

- Random fact: there is a Georgia Tech Research Institute along the highway near Dayton. WTF

- UD Arena is an interesting venue. Very small square footage wise. They smush together 13K seats. Reminds me of Beaver Stadium in the sense that its much smaller than what amount of people should fit in there. I'm pretty sure I could stand on the court and underhand a ball to hit the ceiling. Its probably closer to Palumbo in square footage than the Pete. But that makes it a really good place to watch a game. Similar to high school courts, there isnt much room from the out of bounds lines to the first row so all the seats have the feel on being on top of the court.

- OK, food is here. Great win. For anyone who says this wasnt an NCAAT game, yea right. Unbelievable atmosphere. Unbelievable celebration by Pitt fans and players after the game. I would liken it to being in Charlotte for the ACCCG in terms of joy felt by fans. Honestly, it felt like we won the NC. Just so many years of pent up frustration that all let out when the clock hit 0.

While I'm waiting for Sheetz to cook me up something good, I figured I'd post about the Dayton experience.

- Really nice and vocal Pitt crowd. I'd estimate 1000. The Dayton neutrals around me were rooting for Pitt too but were there generally to see a good game. I know this probably doesn't say much since our fans were absent for most of the year, but that was one of the loudest "home environments" we were in. I didn't go to all the Pitt games at The Pete this season but the Pitt people at this game were so into it, I would think it would rank ahead of those Lou/GT/BC midweekers.

- Dayton sure does love basketball. I couldn't believe the event was sold out and Pitt didnt even have any to sell so I had to Stubhub. And no thanks to UPitt89, I ended up closest to Mississippi State's bench which the seating charts listed as "visitor." To be fair, SEMO was the visitor and sat there the first game so maybe they switch up home and visitor benches for the 2nd game for whatever reason. That said, I didnt understand how SEMO had what appeared to be a full lower level section across from their bench and Corpus Christi had a smaller but discernible section behind their bench. I did not notice any official Pitt or Miss St sections. But Pitt fans were scattered pretty well everywhere. I dont want to make it seem like the place was packed with us but there were enough to make it feel like somewhat of a home atmosphere. And considering there were no primary market tickets, that was pretty cool.

- Random fact: there is a Georgia Tech Research Institute along the highway near Dayton. WTF

- UD Arena is an interesting venue. Very small square footage wise. They smush together 13K seats. Reminds me of Beaver Stadium in the sense that its much smaller than what amount of people should fit in there. I'm pretty sure I could stand on the court and underhand a ball to hit the ceiling. Its probably closer to Palumbo in square footage than the Pete. But that makes it a really good place to watch a game. Similar to high school courts, there isnt much room from the out of bounds lines to the first row so all the seats have the feel on being on top of the court.

- OK, food is here. Great win. For anyone who says this wasnt an NCAAT game, yea right. Unbelievable atmosphere. Unbelievable celebration by Pitt fans and players after the game. I would liken it to being in Charlotte for the ACCCG in terms of joy felt by fans. Honestly, it felt like we won the NC. Just so many years of pent up frustration that all let out when the clock hit 0.
Nice report - thank you!

Reactions: TWPitt
UD Arena looks like a fun place to watch a game. Kind of like the field house on steroids. They sure do love basketball there.

Reactions: Drew1208
I have a relative who is a Duquesne grad and he has been to Dayton for games a few times. He says that the town really supports the play in games and the NCAA couldn’t ask for a better venue all things considered

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

great post...

Georgia Tech RI has locations all over the US, mainly near military bases and federal agencies/laboratories. I’m guessing Dayton is for Wright Patterson Air base. https://gtri.gatech.edu/locations

What are you mad at me for? Lol.

You asked if we were designated visitor or home and I told you.... visitor.

That was an accurate statement.

Reactions: pittjas

Should've gone to Roosters before the game. The wings are just OK, but the Donkey Sauce is awesome.

You were in Dayon and resisted the urge to drive an hour south, bust out your boombox, and John Cusak a certain someone living in or near Cincinnati, OH (I assume)? That's impressive stuff.

Why did they decide that these games be played in Dayton every year?

Why did they decide that these games be played in Dayton every year?

They didnt feel like there would be any other venue that would sell enough tickets to give the players that full house/NCAAT environment. Looking at it now, I think there are probably a few places that could replicate what Dayton does, but not many.

Omaha
Sioux Falls
Muncipal Auditorium in KC, maybe

The south, west, and northeast aren't big enough into college basketball. Well, yea, the DC to Boston I95 corridor like college basketball, but there wont be more than 145 people showing up in Newark or Hartford for 2 16 seeds or Pitt/Miss St

Right. Its a perfect choice but at the end of the day, it comes down to if people are going to go to the games.

Although not really "centrally" located, it is a reasonable driving distance from, I dont know, 100 teams??? SEMO had the 2nd biggest contingent. They are only 6.5 hours away. Every year, you are going to have teams there whose fans can drive on short notice.

Right. Its a perfect choice but at the end of the day, it comes down to if people are going to go to the games.

Although not really "centrally" located, it is a reasonable driving distance from, I dont know, 100 teams??? SEMO had the 2nd biggest contingent. They are only 6.5 hours away. Every year, you are going to have teams there whose fans can drive on short notice.
It is within 600 miles of 53% of the nation's population.

That's "centrally located" when you looks at where the population center of the country is, not the geographical center.

Fans who travel to games are by definition the most committed. So it isn’t particularly a surprise that ours would be pretty loud.

Pitt “home” games suffer from the proliferation of the “neutral city fan”. They are not fervent Pitt fans. They may not even be sports fans. That is their entertainment activity of the afternoon or evening, maybe as an alternative to a Marvel movie or a Clarks show at Jergels. They are there mainly to eat.

Are you the fat guy with the the blue afro wig and tatoos? Asking for a friend.....If Pitt keeps going they are going go be showing that dude a lot?

Fans who travel to games are by definition the most committed. So it isn’t particularly a surprise that ours would be pretty loud.

Pitt “home” games suffer from the proliferation of the “neutral city fan”. They are not fervent Pitt fans. They may not even be sports fans. That is their entertainment activity of the afternoon or evening, maybe as an alternative to a Marvel movie or a Clarks show at Jergels. They are there mainly to eat.
Nah dude.... us Yinzers go hard
.... it's the old Pitt guys who can't stand up anymore that are the issue there

We are Fairweather fans but loud and annoying

Nah dude.... us Yinzers go hard
.... it's the old Pitt guys who can't stand up anymore that are the issue there

We are Fairweather fans but loud and annoying
They are also part of the issue, I agree.
Together theyform a “coalition of the indifferent” with the occasional fans.
Regular (no not THAT way) fans are very loud, but we have facilities too large, and/or haven’t won enough to make fervent student fans into fervent alumni fans, in order to make us the majority.

They are also part of the issue, I agree.
Together theyform a “coalition of the indifferent” with the occasional fans.
Regular (no not THAT way) fans are very loud, but we have facilities too large, and/or haven’t won enough to make fervent student fans into fervent alumni fans, in order to make us the majority.
Every Pitt fan I know is just a yinzer who never went to college.
Most just need us to win to pay attention. And I don't blame them.

They didnt feel like there would be any other venue that would sell enough tickets to give the players that full house/NCAAT environment. Looking at it now, I think there are probably a few places that could replicate what Dayton does, but not many.

Omaha
Sioux Falls
Muncipal Auditorium in KC, maybe

The south, west, and northeast aren't big enough into college basketball. Well, yea, the DC to Boston I95 corridor like college basketball, but there wont be more than 145 people showing up in Newark or Hartford for 2 16 seeds or Pitt/Miss St
Wheeling Civic Center

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT