ADVERTISEMENT

A solid take

I think everyone has. Remember after the Cleveland game when he threw 4 picks? Then the Lions game that ended in a tie? I swear everyone on here and in Pittsburgh has alzheimer's.
Maybe Rudolph is the best QB on the roster, that remains to be seen. But how do people forget we went through all of this before, except substitute Rudolph for Pickett in the comments and complaints.
you really forget the season he replaced an injured Ben?

Why the hell would you declare anyone the starter after this season? You bring in a FA and let him know he has every opportunity to start.
Yeah? Who? This is a fun thread because this keeps coming up like there’s this huge crop of UFA’s that can set the world on fire in PGH and can’t wait to get behind this OL.

You're an A-hole, WTF is wrong with saying they should bring in another QB, THEY SHOULD, THEY SHOULD, THEY SHOULD, and it can be said, without naming for them who it should be and without explaining all the details, like the salary cap etc, that's for them to figure out, I don't need to have any idea how it could happen to say that it's something they should pursue, like the morons probably like you, who when you say they should fire Tomlin they ask, who would you replace him with? Saying he should be fired is one issue, you can say he should be fired , WITHOUT giving suggestions of who they should replace him with. In fact it's stupid to even have suggestions, because it's 99% sure you won't come close to predicting it, when they hired Tomlin, where you saying "Tomlin" when asked who they should hire? no you weren't.

So yeah, it's perfectly fine to say THEY SHOULD TRY TO GET ANOTHER QB IN THE OFF SEASON, because it's something they need badly, who that might be IS ON THEM to figure out, how they pay for him, how much they pay for him IS ON THEM to figure out. with your idiotic mind set, nobody can suggest anything that they should do without scanning the list of free agents and do the salary cap math first, that's ridiculous

It's fine to say that they should, but when people point out to you why that isn't going to happen you can't just wave that away and say "I don't care, they should do it anyway."

Or at least you can't if you have any sort of intelligence and knowledge of how these things work. People asked you to name who they should get because as they pointed out to you, there isn't anyone like that out there for them to get. Stomping your feet and saying "I don't care, I want it anyway" doesn't mean that it can or should or will happen. It just means that you are happy living in a fantasy land.

That's not what you asked. You asked how do you get someone here if Rudolph is declared the starter in camp.

To answer THIS question, there can't be many free agents worse than Trubisky. To get one here, open up the competition in camp. Don't declare a starter and tell whoever you sign they have an opportunity.

Yeah? Who? This is a fun thread because this keeps coming up like there’s this huge crop of UFA’s that can set the world on fire in PGH and can’t wait to get behind this OL.

Last edited:
Since Rudolph is a free agent after the season, I guess you need to ask this question....

Does Rudolph bring better value at the QB position than the following free agents:

1) Kirk Cousins
2) Baker Mayfield
3) Joshua Dobbs
4) Jacoby Brissett
5) Gardner Minshew
6) Jameis Winston
7) Sam Darnold
8) Ryan Tannehill
9) Drew Lock
10) Tyler Huntley

It's fine to say that they should, but when people point out to you why that isn't going to happen you can't just wave that away and say "I don't care, they should do it anyway."

Or at least you can't if you have any sort of intelligence and knowledge of how these things work. People asked you to name who they should get because as they pointed out to you, there isn't anyone like that out there for them to get. Stomping your feet and saying "I don't care, I want it anyway" doesn't mean that it can or should or will happen. It just means that you are happy living in a fantasy land.
What MM fails to realize is that it’s a two way street. Any qb worth a shit is going to have options. And any qb worth a shit would be out of their mind to play behind this OL in this system with the mediocre wr/te talent

So as you pointed out the challenge is to identify an upgrade who would actually want to play in this offense

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Since Rudolph is a free agent after the season, I guess you need to ask this question....

Does Rudolph bring better value at the QB position than the following free agents:

1) Kirk Cousins
2) Baker Mayfield
3) Joshua Dobbs
4) Jacoby Brissett
5) Gardner Minshew
6) Jameis Winston
7) Sam Darnold
8) Ryan Tannehill
9) Drew Lock
10) Tyler Huntley
Cross cousins mayfield minshew and tannehill of your lists. No way those guys would want to play behind this OL with the Medicore skill players and this scheme. Tell have far netter options

the only real updated over Rudy would be maybe darnold

Like where? Of all 32 teams, only about 11 will give one the opportunity to start. Of those 11 teams, only one has a better record. People may not like Tomlin as a coach, but no one can deny he's a great salesman, he can definitely throw the bull. These QBs are professionals, they want to play, they want to get paid, and they also want a chance to win. The Steelers may be in the best position of those teams for all three, I don't know their cap situation.

The Steelers have a lot of warts, but Kahn has to be better than Colbert and not one of us here know what moves the Steelers might make in the off season. They may do their usual nothing, but this is Kahns first full year, so we don't know.

One other thing, if the Steelers can manage to win tomorrow and the Ravens beat Miami, the Ravens will probably rest a lot of starters against the Steelers. As bad as they are, the Steelers still could end up 10-7. These people are all human and you know as well as I do, perception is everything and Tomlin can definitely sell that.
Cross cousins mayfield minshew and tannehill of your lists. No way those guys would want to play behind this OL with the Medicore skill players and this scheme. Tell have far netter options

the only real updated over Rudy would be maybe darnold

1) Kirk Cousins
2) Baker Mayfield
3) Joshua Dobbs
4) Jacoby Brissett
5) Gardner Minshew
6) Jameis Winston
7) Sam Darnold
8) Ryan Tannehill
9) Drew Lock
10) Tyler Huntley
Cousins, Mayfield, and Minshew would all win more than Rudolph, but would cost a lot more. Rudolph would be a better value than the rest because of cost and similar production in terms of wins.

1) Kirk Cousins
2) Baker Mayfield
3) Joshua Dobbs
4) Jacoby Brissett
5) Gardner Minshew
6) Jameis Winston
7) Sam Darnold
8) Ryan Tannehill
9) Drew Lock
10) Tyler Huntley
Depending on what he would cost maybe Mayfield would be doable, he is better than anything on the Steelers roster by a wide margin. Cousins is too, but his price will be way too high for a guy his age with an injury issue.

The only other one that is better than the Steelers current QB’s is Minshew, and he’s not the kind of guy you bring on to a roster that needs a lot of help. He’s not elevating you by himself.

Like where? Of all 32 teams, only about 11 will give one the opportunity to start. Of those 11 teams, only one has a better record. People may not like Tomlin as a coach, but no one can deny he's a great salesman, he can definitely throw the bull. These QBs are professionals, they want to play, they want to get paid, and they also want a chance to win. The Steelers may be in the best position of those teams for all three, I don't know their cap situation.

The Steelers have a lot of warts, but Kahn has to be better than Colbert and not one of us here know what moves the Steelers might make in the off season. They may do their usual nothing, but this is Kahns first full year, so we don't know.

One other thing, if the Steelers can manage to win tomorrow and the Ravens beat Miami, the Ravens will probably rest a lot of starters against the Steelers. As bad as they are, the Steelers still could end up 10-7. These people are all human and you know as well as I do, perception is everything and Tomlin can definitely sell that.
So what exactly is Tomlin selling ? An OL that will get the Qb killed ? A scheme that is ultra conservative (Dink and dunk). What Qb wants to play for OCs of the likes of Fichtner and Canada Dry? WRs who don’t get separation and take plays off? The top qbs are smart enough to pick teams where they have a chance for success and won’t get killed. May be the media has bought into the mediocre Mike mystique but I’m not sure players care about the amazing medoicre streak

Depending on what he would cost maybe Mayfield would be doable, he is better than anything on the Steelers roster by a wide margin. Cousins is too, but his price will be way too high for a guy his age with an injury issue.

The only other one that is better than the Steelers current QB’s is Minshew, and he’s not the kind of guy you bring on to a roster that needs a lot of help. He’s not elevating you by himself.
I think Mayfield will likely stay at Tampa. Who else are they going to sign ? Same for cousins. Minnesota is a playoff team with him They don’t have many other options

I think Mayfield will likely stay at Tampa. Who else are they going to sign ? Same for cousins. Minnesota is a playoff team with him They don’t have many other options
I’d say both of those teams have a borderline playoff roster with those guys, makes no sense to blow it up and start over where they’re at. You can make the playoffs with Mayfield and Cousins and win a game or two as well, that’s about all most franchises can hope for.

Hard to calculate how bad the Browns screwed up, they better make a deep run this year. The Watson contract is going to weigh them down for years, whether it be the inability to retain their current stars, or lack of funds available to sign replacements under the cap with the weight of Watson‘s hit.

Reactions: pittbb80
I’d say both of those teams have a borderline playoff roster with those guys, makes no sense to blow it up and start over where they’re at. You can make the playoffs with Mayfield and Cousins and win a game or two as well, that’s about all most franchises can hope for.

Hard to calculate how bad the Browns screwed up, they better make a deep run this year. The Watson contract is going to weigh them down for years, whether it be the inability to retain their current stars, or lack of funds available to sign replacements under the cap with the weight of Watson‘s hit.
Cousins is 35 and coming off an Achilles tear, so I think his next contract will reflect that. However, being it's Kirk Cousins, most the contract will be guaranteed with whatever team signs him.

Cousins is 35 and coming off an Achilles tear, so I think his next contract will reflect that. However, being it's Kirk Cousins, most the contract will be guaranteed with whatever team signs him.
He’s a guy if you’re committed to a big contract you can’t wait to get rid of him, but if you have a strong roster missing that one piece you would kill to have him.

Not going to say he’s the next Matt Stafford, but if a good team can get him on a cap reasonable contract Cousins can get you to a Super Bowl.

The Steelers may be in the best position of those teams for all three, I don't know their cap situation.

According to Spotrac, right now the Stillers are a little over $5 million over what they estimate next year's cap to be.

Now they have some easy ways to get under the number. For instance cutting Allen Robinson saves them $10 million (cap number minus dead cap number). Cutting Okorafor would save them about $8.8 million. Cutting Trubisky will save a little less than $3 million. Cutting Cole will save $4.7 million and the quarterback's health. So they can get where they need to be pretty easily, if that's what they decide to do.

Reactions: ncyajleel
According to Spotrac, right now the Stillers are a little over $5 million over what they estimate next year's cap to be.

Now they have some easy ways to get under the number. For instance cutting Allen Robinson saves them $10 million (cap number minus dead cap number). Cutting Okorafor would save them about $8.8 million. Cutting Trubisky will save a little less than $3 million. Cutting Cole will save $4.7 million and the quarterback's health. So they can get where they need to be pretty easily, if that's what they decide to do.
Since Roethlisberger has been off the books the Steelers have quite a bit of wiggle room, something this franchise hasn’t been used to for quite a while.

If it’s me I am looking for help in the secondary whether it be in the draft or free agency. This is a passing league and this team remains woeful against the pass, they need to improve greatly in that area and inside at LB as well or the Qb position isn’t going to matter all that much.

Since Roethlisberger has been off the books the Steelers have quite a bit of wiggle room, something this franchise hasn’t been used to for quite a while.

If it’s me I am looking for help in the secondary whether it be in the draft or free agency. This is a passing league and this team remains woeful against the pass, they need to improve greatly in that area and inside at LB as well or the Qb position isn’t going to matter all that much.
I agree they need help in the secondary, particularly at cornerback, but...

2022 18.1 PPG - 26th scoring offense
2023 17.1 PPG - 28th scoring offense

2022 20.4 PPG - 10th scoring defense
2023 19.4 PPG - 6th scoring defense

I agree they need help in the secondary, particularly at cornerback, but...

2022 18.1 PPG - 26th scoring offense
2023 17.1 PPG - 28th scoring offense

2022 20.4 PPG - 10th scoring defense
2023 19.4 PPG - 6th scoring defenOffense definitely
I think a lot of those offensive issues are due to bad QB play, I am now convinced that the 2025 starting QB is not yet on the roster.

Defense has to continue to keep them in games until the “next” QB is found, and they definitely need some upgrades.

Lol! You have obviously never coached a team. Not every is as negative as people on here seem to be.
What exactly do the other teams that may be shopping for a QB who have a worse record have to sell.
You keep looking at this like the Steelers are the only bad team in football. You do realize there are 31 other teams, and half have worse records. You don't think they have problems?

And once again, are you able to see the future? You can tell us all ahead of time what moves the Steelers will make this off season?

So what exactly is Tomlin selling ? An OL that will get the Qb killed ? A scheme that is ultra conservative (Dink and dunk). What Qb wants to play for OCs of the likes of Fichtner and Canada Dry? WRs who don’t get separation and take plays off? The top qbs are smart enough to pick teams where they have a chance for success and won’t get killed. May be the media has bought into the mediocre Mike mystique but I’m not sure players care about the amazing medoicre streak

Last edited:
I didn't realize Rudolph was a FA. Everyone wants him to do great, but that could also work against the Steelers. The Steelers screwed with him enough if someone gave him a decent offer, comparable to what the Steelers do, wouldn't he take it? Then you may be stuck with Trubisky. Do you cut Trubisky and offer Rudolph more? If you cut Trubisky, how much goes against the cap?

Lol! You have obviously never coached a team. Not every is as negative as people on here seem to be.
What exactly do the other teams that may be shopping for a QB who have a worse record have to sell.
You keep looking at this like the Steelers are the only bad team in football. You do realize there are 31 other teams, and half have worse records. You don't think they have problems?

And once again, are you able to see the future? You can tell us all ahead of time what moves the Steelers will make this off season?
Lol. So the requirement to comment on the incredibly compacted game of football is to have coached it. Ok coach Pee Weee

Let’s revisit this when the Steelers sign another jabroni like Mitch this offseason.

Are you always an ass?
Lol. So the requirement to comment on the incredibly compacted game of football is to have coached it. Ok coach Pee Weee

Let’s revisit this when the Steelers sign another jabroni like Mitch this offseason.

Last edited:

Those people (ESPECIALLY YOU) aren't any authority to definitively say that SOMETHING can't happen.

Those people (ESPECIALLY YOU) aren't any authority to definitively say that SOMETHING can't happen.

And you could easily prove that by just saying who, exactly, it is that they should sign and what price they are going to be able to sign them for that meets your criteria.

If you spent one tenth the amount of time looking at it and giving us a name or two than you have saying that they should do something that people are telling you isn't really possible this discussion would have ended long ago. But the fact of the matter is that you can't name someone. Because such a person doesn't exist. And you saying that they do, without saying who they are, doesn't make you right. It makes you delusional.

Are you always an ass? I've been around football all my life, mostly the college level and I do know that no one thinks and talks like you. Of course, you are such an expert, you have coached in many playoff games and have been a part many championship seasons.
You're just a know nothing, loud mouth, tv watching, douche.
Ok coach pee wee. Since you’ve been around football all your life we will just leave all the expert opinions to you. Clearly football is far too completed for anyone outside the game to understand or have a legitimate opinion on.

Oh by the way you sound vaccinated

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT