ADVERTISEMENT

A touch of positivity

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I know that in the free agent era, everyone transfers now so there's a 0.1% chance this is our lineup but hypothetically, next year

PG - Femi (Jr)
SG - Horton (5th year senior)
SF - Sibande (6th year senior though not sure if the NCAA allows a RS for a Covid year)
PF - Oladapo
C - Hugley

Bench
Santos
Jeffress
Collier

That could be an NIT team. Maybe one last chance for Capel if he can keep those guys from transferring?

And obviously the hope would be he can improve the team through free agency and the HS market.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
That lineup wins 11 games instead of 10, positivity indeed

Maybe. However, a good coach can go above .500 with those guys in a weak league like the one we play in. Capel has had many issues but a primary one has been his teams have no identity. Lets say that group becomes a tenacious defensive team or very efficient offensively, taking mostly all high percentage shots like Jamie's O, or a top rebounding team....then you might have something. But Capel's philosophy has always seemed to be to out-talent you and its tough to that if you have worse players than who you're playing.

I know that in the free agent era, everyone transfers now so there's a 0.1% chance this is our lineup but hypothetically, next year

PG - Femi (Jr)
SF - Sibande (6th year senior though not sure if the NCAA allows a RS for a Covid year)
PF - Oladapo
C - Hugley

Bench
Santos
Jeffress
Collier

That could be an NIT team. Maybe one last chance for Capel if he can keep those guys from transferring?

And obviously the hope would be he can improve the team through free agency and the HS market.
At least 2 and possibly 4 of the starters won’t be here assuming Oladapo stays. But let’s say that is the lineup. It sucks. We have no big man behind Hugley who is a league average center and he’s the best player in the lineup by far. It’s still a 12th-13th place finish.

At least 2 and possibly 4 of the starters won’t be here assuming Oladapo stays. But let’s say that is the lineup. It sucks. We have no big man behind Hugley who is a league average center and he’s the best player in the lineup by far. It’s still a 12th-13th place finish.

You may be right. But, hypothetically, lets say Steve Pikiell (or some other good coach) is coaching those guys, what's their ACC record. I think a good coach gets them to around .500.

We'll get a marginal back up in the portal who will suck tho. So it's all good.

You may be right. But, hypothetically, lets say Steve Pikiell (or some other good coach) is coaching those guys, what's their ACC record. I think a good coach gets them to around .500.
.500 overall maybe. You’re overrating what a good coach can do in game, I believe. There’s not nearly enough talent there to go .500 in ACC if god was coaching them

Reactions: Drew1208
Clearly it isn’t good, but we had middle of the pack CAA talent.

This year, yes. Fast forward a year if we get Horton and Sibande back and all the key players return with a few hopefully making big strides, I'm just saying that's enough to make an NIT run with a good coach.

PG - Femi (Jr)
PF - Oladapo
C - Hugley

Bench
Santos
Jeffress
Collier

There just isn't enough efficiency data yet to do this. I need at least 10 games worth of information this season at minimum. I have 4.

We need 7-8 players over 95+ ORTG to compete for a bid. We currently have 4 not including Collier because he doesn't play enough. If you want to include Collier, that is 5, but I would not include him yet. Santos is currently at 107, he is far better than preseason projections through 4 games. His goal should be to remain above 90-95+ at seasons end and I think he will as long as he makes shots.

Last year, Femi, Horton, and Sibande meet the requirements needed to compete for a bid as their ORTG's were all over 95+ for the entire season. This year, Femi and Will need to come way up from where they are now. Id be willing to bet both will rise significantly as the season continues as long as both of them get their turnovers under control.

I don't think this current roster is dead in the water by any means. But the turnover numbers are making everything, offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency, look way worse than what it is along with the actual scores of the games.

The goal next game should be to commit no more than 10-12 turnovers against Vanderbilt. Do that, and I think we win the game.

There just isn't enough efficiency data yet to do this. I need at least 10 games worth of information this season at minimum. I have 4.

We need 7-8 players over 95+ ORTG to compete for a bid. We currently have 4 not including Collier because he doesn't play enough. If you want to include Collier, that is 5, but I would not include him yet. Santos is currently at 107, he is far better than preseason projections through 4 games. His goal should be to remain above 90-95+ at seasons end and I think he will as long as he makes shots.

Last year, Femi, Horton, and Sibande meet the requirements needed to compete for a bid as their ORTG's were all over 95+ for the entire season. This year, Femi and Will need to come way up from where they are now. Id be willing to bet both will rise significantly as the season continues as long as both of them get their turnovers under control.

I don't think this current roster is dead in the water by any means. But the turnover numbers are making everything, offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency, look way worse than what it is along with the actual scores of the games.

The goal next game should be to commit no more than 10-12 turnovers against Vanderbilt. Do that, and I think we win the game.
Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT