ADVERTISEMENT

ACC has now put 4 teams in the Sweet 16

How about the Mountain West?

SEC?

Big Ten?

Big 12?

Crickets?

Yea, that 2 bid ACC league looks mighty strong right now.

Count them, That's 4 in the Sweeeeeeet 16. How sweet it is.

And thats why in the future Rick Pitino should get his wish.

There needs to be actual basketball retired coaches and retired players on the selection committee to help seed teams with the eye test instead of a bunch of computer nerds like Lunardi and Scott Barnes that know zero, nothing, nada about basketball.

Oh, and Joe Lunardi is getting blasted online right now, rightfully so. That piece of shit can sit down and shut up for a while.

Metrics are fine, and very useful for gamblers, but what are they measuring and encouraging? NET encourages playing road games against weak teams to run up the efficiency numbers to sort the entire country into exactly four quadrants. Is that a good system?

Metrics are fine, and very useful for gamblers, but what are they measuring and encouraging? NET encourages playing road games against weak teams to run up the efficiency numbers to sort the entire country into exactly four quadrants. Is that a good system?
They should get some Ex-Coaches on the committee to help with the process. Anyone that thinks the MWC deserved 6 bids and the Big 12 8 bids with OU as the first team out should be kicked off the committee permanently.

The metrics are just the current distraction , but it’s not really about metrics at all. It’s about TV contracts and TV executives. The ACC is is of no use to CBS and even our ‘partner’ ESPN would rather the league implodes, but that is for football reasons. For basketball, CBS wants as many of their partner teams in as possible.

Incidentally, I just did a quick scan of CBS Sports and ESPN websites...neither has an article, or opinion column, or anything mentioning the ACC putting four teams in the sweet sixteen. It may be mentioned inside a story somewhere but no headline like "ACC leads with 4 Sweet Sixteen Teams" or similar. But many other outlets are discussing it. For instance, USA Today has such as story:

How about the Mountain West?

SEC?

Big Ten?

Big 12?

Crickets?

Yea, that 2 bid ACC league looks mighty strong right now.

Count them, That's 4 in the Sweeeeeeet 16. How sweet it is.

All that means is that Duke, UNC, Clemson, and NC State won games against the two teams they played. It doesn't mean the ACC is some juggernaut or deserved more teams in the tournament.

But congrats to the ACC for a strong tournament showing, outside the Virginia embarrassment.

The important thing to remember is that for all but one team, this will end in tears.

All that means is that Duke, UNC, Clemson, and NC State won games against the two teams they played. It doesn't mean the ACC is some juggernaut or deserved more teams in the tournament.

But congrats to the ACC for a strong tournament showing, outside the Virginia embarrassment.

The important thing to remember is that for all but one team, this will end in tears.
Good God!

There needs to be actual basketball retired coaches and retired players on the selection committee to help seed teams with the eye test instead of a bunch of computer nerds like Lunardi and Scott Barnes that know zero, nothing, nada about basketball.

Wait, Scott Barnes, former Fresno State basketball player, is a computer nerd who knows nothing about basketball like a former player or coach would?

Man, that's an odd take.

There are no "computer nerds like Lunardi" on the committee. Literally, none of them. If you want to argue that there needs to be more than the three or four on the committee who played the game in college then sure. It's always struck me as odd that they didn't give preference for any sport's committee to people who played that sport in college.

Also, I wonder if you know that Lunardi's day job, or one of them at least, is that he has been the St. Joe's basketball radio color analyst for over 30 years. Arguing that he doesn't know anything about basketball would make as much sense as arguing that Bill Hillgrove doesn't know anything about basketball.

Reactions: Ski11585
Wait, Scott Barnes, former Fresno State basketball player, is a computer nerd who knows nothing about basketball like a former player or coach would?

Man, that's an odd take.

There are no "computer nerds like Lunardi" on the committee. Literally, none of them. If you want to argue that there needs to be more than the three or four on the committee who played the game in college then sure. It's always struck me as odd that they didn't give preference for any sport's committee to people who played that sport in college.

Also, I wonder if you know that Lunardi's day job, or one of them at least, is that he has been the St. Joe's basketball radio color analyst for over 30 years. Arguing that he doesn't know anything about basketball would make as much sense as arguing that Bill Hillgrove doesn't know anything about basketball.
I don't want Billy picking the teams!

Reactions: SteelBowl70

Man, that's an odd take.

Ok, I stand corrected, Barnes actually played basketball as I just looked it up. I still think he is

1) Biased
2) Corrupt
3) Helped hire the worst D1 coach possible for Pitt
4) He still hates Pitt and Pitt still hates him

and

5) I know he voted against Pitt in the selection process. I know it and there is nothing you can say to me to change my mind.

Joe Lunardi could be the radio analyst for the St. Joes Hawks for 1000 years, and I still dont think he understands basketball.

Ok, I stand corrected, Barnes actually played basketball as I just looked it up. I still think he is

1) Biased
2) Corrupt
3) Helped hire the worst D1 coach possible for Pitt
4) He still hates Pitt and Pitt still hates him

and

5) I know he voted against Pitt in the selection process. I know it and there is nothing you can say to me to change my mind.

Joe Lunardi could be the radio analyst for the St. Joes Hawks for 1000 years, and I still dont think he understands basketball.

Barnes might be all those things, but more basketball people on the committee actually means more people like Scott Barnes, not less of them.

Barnes might be all those things, but more basketball people on the committee actually means more people like Scott Barnes, not less of them.

Why?

Rick Pitino said to put Jim Calhoun, Coach K, Roy Williams, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo etc.. when he retires and former great players on the committee. He said put the best on the committee.

Who the heck is Scott Barnes on the big scale of things? Because he played basketball at Fresno State 40 years ago in a midmajor conference Im supposed to think he is great? He's a nobody on the big scale of things, a complete nobody. I didnt even know he played basketball.

Why?

Rick Pitino said to put Jim Calhoun, Coach K, Roy Williams, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo etc.. when he retires and former great players on the committee. He said put the best on the committee.

Who the heck is Scott Barnes on the big scale of things? Because he played basketball at Fresno State 40 years ago in a midmajor conference Im supposed to think he is great? He's a nobody on the big scale of things, a complete nobody. I didnt even know he played basketball.

To be fair though, you didn't know he played basketball because you're kind of clueless.

I mean good god man, when we hired the guy that was one of the big talking points. He was going to be great for Pitt basketball because he played basketball in college and he was a basketball guy. Were you not paying any attention at all?

The NCAA isn't going to give over selecting the tournament field to a bunch of outsiders. Rick Pitino wants those guys on the committee because those guys, in some cases, are his buddies. It would be better for Rick Pitino if something like that happens. That's why he wants it. If he thought that he had a better chance of getting selected if the committee was made up of Italian restaurant customers then that's who he'd want on the committee.

Why?

Does he like Jamie Dixon?

TCU was in the tourney. And you seem to think tourney performance validates or invalidates selection and/or seeding.

TCU was on the bubble & their tournament performance was piss poor. Does that mean the committee screwed up?

To be fair though, you didn't know he played basketball because you're kind of clueless.

I mean good god man, when we hired the guy that was one of the big talking points. He was going to be great for Pitt basketball because he played basketball in college and he was a basketball guy. Were you not paying any attention at all?

The NCAA isn't going to give over selecting the tournament field to a bunch of outsiders. Rick Pitino wants those guys on the committee because those guys, in some cases, are his buddies. It would be better for Rick Pitino if something like that happens. That's why he wants it. If he thought that he had a better chance of getting selected if the committee was made up of Italian restaurant customers then that's who he'd want on the committee.

Perhaps we need to start a poll for worst AD of all time at Pitt and see where Barnes ranks. I dont follow really any other Pitt sport besides basketball so I wouldn't have much to contribute. However, your "basketball guru" man Scott Barnes completely wrecked our basketball program and put it 10 feet deep in the sand. Barnes was great at nothing at Pitt. In fact, not only was the Stallings hire a disgrace, our facilities at the time were also a train wreck. Capel had to rebuild everything after this debacle.

Perhaps we need to start a poll for worst AD of all time at Pitt and see where Barnes ranks. I dont follow really any other Pitt sport besides basketball so I wouldn't have much to contribute. However, your "basketball guru" man Scott Barnes completely wrecked our basketball program and put it 10 feet deep in the sand. Barnes was great at nothing at Pitt. In fact, not only was the Stallings hire a disgrace, our facilities at the time were also a train wreck. Capel had to rebuild everything after this debacle.

That's all true.

And, of course, has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I said.

No he didn't.

Pitt basketball has been irrelevant since the Butler loss in the 2011 Tournament. 13 years later and it is still irrelevant. 3 years of Scott Barnes isn't solely responsible for 13 years of bad basketball.

That's all true.

And, of course, has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I said.

Whats your point then, that I should care about the Pitt AD? Why would I care, I told you I only watch 1 sport primarily. I really dont care about football, volleyball, ping pong, wrestling, swimming, or anything else.

I pay attention to who the Pitt basketball coach is or going to be. I could really care less of the resume of the athletic director. Thats for people that care about all sports, not 1 sport. And no, I never read into Barnes history, studied it, or even cared to look at it. All I cared about was who was replacing Dixon, thats it. And we got a total disaster from your basketball guru Scott Barnes.

No he didn't.

Pitt basketball has been irrelevant since the Butler loss in the 2011 Tournament. 13 years later and it is still irrelevant. 3 years of Scott Barnes isn't solely responsible for 13 years of bad basketball.
I guess 90% of the teams that have played are irrelevant then according to you. Do us all a favor and go to UVA basketball board since that’s your team and all.

Whats your point then, that I should care about the Pitt AD? Why would I care, I told you I only watch 1 sport primarily. I really dont care about football, volleyball, ping pong, wrestling, swimming, or anything else.

I pay attention to who the Pitt basketball coach is or going to be. I could really care less of the resume of the athletic director. Thats for people that care about all sports, not 1 sport. And no, I never read into Barnes history, studied it, or even cared to look at it. All I cared about was who was replacing Dixon, thats it. And we got a total disaster from your basketball guru Scott Barnes.
I see the same miserable posters are out in full force. Why are they even on a Pitt Panthers fan message board? To consistently argue and demean our program? They should just leave or join a group therapy session to help with displaced anger. H2P

Reactions: bschulter
I can’t even fathom having such an utterly pathetic life as some of these board regular trolls. Very sad.

I cant tell if its trolling or just trying to argue with me or just wants Pitt to get back to the pinnacle days of domination in the golden era of 2001-2011, maybe all 3? Maybe because Pitt isn't in the tournament, frustration perhaps? Im not sure.

Whatever it is, there's a lot of anger from our current players on social media which is going to drive this team all offseason.

It looks like the current team is waiting on 2, Bub and Ish.

If Scotty Barnes is a basketball expert, he should go to prison for what he did to Pitt basketball.
If he's just a dumbass who messed up, ok.. that's what dumbasses do. But if he knew what he was doing then that is criminal.
So he's either a dumbass on the NCAA selection committee, or he's a criminal on the committee. Shouldn't be there either way.

You are a UVA fan. Why are you even here?

Well, I like Pitt too.

And like I've said many times, I'm more objective and less hard core when it comes to my basketball fandom.

And I don't claim UVA as my favorite team. I follow them more closely because I live there and my kids love the Hoos. They also have an Alcoa kid on roster. (but I promise not start liking PSU next year). I grew up liking Kentucky.

I don't shill for UVA hoops either. I can admit they sucked this year. I also have no trouble admitting the Kyle Guy foul was highly questionable, and Ty Jerome definitely double dribbled. The 2019 trophy probably should be in Neville Arena. (or Lubbock)

If Scotty Barnes is a basketball expert, he should go to prison for what he did to Pitt basketball.
If he's just a dumbass who messed up, ok.. that's what dumbasses do. But if he knew what he was doing then that is criminal.
So he's either a dumbass on the NCAA selection committee, or he's a criminal on the committee. Shouldn't be there either way.
All evidence points to the contrary, but Scott Barnes is extremely snarky and cocky about “knowing basketball”. Dixon could not STAND him and the way he acted like he knew it all!

There is a huge disconnect between what the committee uses to select teams and what actually proves teams can perform. It's why the ACC continues to do more with less each year. But other conference teams' fans and their media will continue to try and gaslight us to belive differently.

Incidentally, I just did a quick scan of CBS Sports and ESPN websites...neither has an article, or opinion column, or anything mentioning the ACC putting four teams in the sweet sixteen. It may be mentioned inside a story somewhere but no headline like "ACC leads with 4 Sweet Sixteen Teams" or similar. But many other outlets are discussing it. For instance, USA Today has such as story:
I forget which NCAA tourney game I was watching Friday evening, but they showed records of a few conferences in this year's NCAA tournament ... I think they showed SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, and maybe Big East or MWC. But no ACC, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT