ADVERTISEMENT

ACC on the slide - called correctly

Question for those asking us to move on and stop complaining about this…

What should we be talking about on a Tuesday prior to basketball season where we are 2-5? Firing cignetti? On campus stadium? Please educate us on what would be an appropriate use of pantherlair posts?
That’s easy……tarps, who’s going portal and who we getting portal, who’s worse Matt Canada or Frank Cignetti, Madden’s love affair with Kenny Pickett, …..

But better yet, I haven’t seen a Pens post in awhile, how bout that 3-game losing streak!!

Reactions: PittMan2003
The application of the current rule resulted in an absurd outcome in this case, that's for sure.

They may need to add some kind of qualifier to account for plays like this one where there is no defender within yards of the ballcarrier and the slide is clearly meant to simply down the ball as opposed to avoiding contact.

I mean, the call may have been correct by the letter of the rule, but I think everyone can agree that result was a travesty.
Or just don't slide. Fall forward. Put your knee down once you are past the line of scrimmage. In this scenario just run out of bounds since a first down ends the game regardless of if the clock stops there. Any of these work. Feet forward slide is meant to allow the QB to give himself up without being hit. But it means you forward progress starts when you start your slide.

Or just don't slide. Fall forward. Put your knee down once you are past the line of scrimmage. In this scenario just run out of bounds since a first down ends the game regardless of if the clock stops there. Any of these work. Feet forward slide is meant to allow the QB to give himself up without being hit. But it means you forward progress starts when you start your slide.
i said this a few times in these threads and i agree BUT, to play devils advocate, you watch these qbs do that, fall forward or kind of just drop and it's awkward looking a lot of times. LIke O'neal cruz awkward, just tough to watch and more importantly, these qbs seem to find ways to twist a knee or ankle when they do this.

its why sliding is the best option, less injuries. the refs just have to come up with a clear rule on where to spot the ball and stick to it across the board.. ACC refs in the pitt game and the fsu game, on the same day, came up with about a 3-4 yard difference and you cant have that..

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Question for those asking us to move on and stop complaining about this…

What should we be talking about on a Tuesday prior to basketball season where we are 2-5? Firing cignetti? On campus stadium? Please educate us on what would be an appropriate use of pantherlair posts?

Talking about the upcoming basketball season. It's pretty simple. The football season is over. At least the hoops team might provide us with some hope and positivity. Why keep dwelling of the same silly thing over and over and know you're never going to change anything? That's what someone once called insanity.

i said this a few times in these threads and i agree BUT, to play devils advocate, you watch these qbs do that, fall forward or kind of just drop and it's awkward looking a lot of times. LIke O'neal cruz awkward, just tough to watch and more importantly, these qbs seem to find ways to twist a knee or ankle when they do this.

its why sliding is the best option, less injuries. the refs just have to come up with a clear rule on where to spot the ball and stick to it across the board.. ACC refs in the pitt game and the fsu game, on the same day, came up with about a 3-4 yard difference and you cant have that..

Why does the QB have to "give himself up" as he slides. He should be live until his knee hits. The QB should know how to manage a potential hit and avoid it if necessary. If a QB starts to slide and gets lit up, that's ok IMO as long as his knee hasnt hit. I hate this idea that the second he lowers his ass, he gave himself up and is down. Its football. Play till your down.

Why does the QB have to "give himself up" as he slides. He should be live until his knee hits. The QB should know how to manage a potential hit and avoid it if necessary. If a QB starts to slide and gets lit up, that's ok IMO as long as his knee hasnt hit. I hate this idea that the second he lowers his ass, he gave himself up and is down. Its football. Play till your down.
Why do you keep beating the same drum when you know full well that it is done and the rule is there for safety. And it’s correct and it isn’t going to change.

Most QBs that slide actually are doing it to avoid getting hit so there is no problem with the act or the rule in all those cases. Problem with the Pitt play is that CV didn’t need to do it when he did because there was no one close to hitting him yet and he ended up doing it too close to the 1st down line.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT