ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Pre-Allocations Released

BREAKDOWN
125: Camacho needs to finish top 2 to qualify for NCAAs, I doubt he gets one of the 6 At Larges so making the finals at ACC's is probably his only chance
133: Vinny needs to finish top 3 to qualify for NCAA's. He probably does get an At Large bid but there is only 5 and it is risky to bet on that
141: Cole needs to place top 3 to qualify which isn't a guarantee with how good the ACC is at this weight, He would likely get an At-Large but again it is not 100% certain
149: Finn is in trouble, he needs to make the finals to qualify for NCAAs, there are 4 At-Large bids available but it is no sure thing that he is going to be able to secure one of them and I wouldn't bet on it
157: Keslar is in the same boat, needs to make finals and he has no shot as an At-Large. Have to hope Andonian and Scott are on the same side and he can sneak in.
165: Heller needs to make the finals to auto-qual. This is a weight where there are 3 wrestlers I would anticipate as being AQ's and who should have made it. I will have to check who missed it. Holden likely gets an At-Large bid if he misses AQ but his results this year are not outstanding enough for it to be guaranteed
174: Just need to place top 4, this weight has Mekhi and 4 other really good guys but Luca only needs to beat 1. I also expect him to take an At Large spot if it comes to that
184: 4 spots for AQ and a clear top 4 wrestlers at the weight. Reece should easily qualify and if he somehow doesn't he will certainly get an At Large
197: Clear top 4 at this weight and 4 AQ spots. Mac should be good for qualifying the same way Reece is
285: Only 2 spots so Dayton has to make the finals to qualify. His win record should be good enough to get him in as an At Large but his long gap off of competition makes it questionable

My Predictions for Qualifying:
125: No
133: Yes
141: Yes
149: No
157: No
165: Yes
174: Yes
184: Yes
197: Yes
285: Yes
7/10, same weights making it and missing it as last year

Reactions: TJ-Pinzburgh
125: Jacob Camacho missed RPI but had coaches rank and winning %, Moore had RPI, Winning % and the 33rd spot (non qualifying but still gives points) in coaches ranking*
133: Yarbrough just missed AQ status 31st in Coaches ranking, 10th in RPI and sub 70 winning %**
141:Tom Crook missed RPI because he only had 14 matches at 141 so he was not eligible for RPI, he was still in coaches ranking and had a WP% over 70*
149: Jayden Scott missed AQ status 32nd in Coaches ranking NR in RPI under 70 winning %, Finn was 26 in RPI NR in coaches and sub 70 winning %**
157: Andonian was not eligible for coaches ranking due to his injury but had RPI and winning %, Sonny Santiago was 29th in coaches and 30th in RPI, Cedeno just missed AQ status 31st in Coaches ranking, NR in RPI and Over 70 winning %**
165: Holden made all three, Brady made coaches and RPI, Fields made coaches and winning % but not RPI*
174: Faison just missed AQ status 32nd in Coaches ranking and 33rd in RPI
184:nothing of note
197:nothing of note
285: Pitzer wasn't eligible for RPI or Coaches ranking because of his injury so he couldn't get an AQ spot, R. Catka was 32nd in RPI but didn't meet other categories.

*125, 141 and 165 really confuse me. These weights all had less then the maximum 29 AQ and wrestlers in the ACC who meet 2/3 of the categories the NCAA describes:
"The pre-allocations were determined by using a sliding scale of the three standards, win percentage, coaches’ rank, and RPI ranking; while never going below the base of .700 winning percentage, top 30 coaches’ ranking and top 30 RPI ranking until reaching the maximum of 29 wrestlers per weight class. For each wrestler that reached the threshold in at least two of the three categories, his conference tournament was awarded a qualifying spot in that weight class."

125: 3 ACC wrestlers: Flynn, J.Camacho and Moore all met at least 2/3 categories but 1 did not earn a spot despite there being 2 extra spots available
141: 4 ACC wrestlers: Matthews, Jack, McNeil and Crook met at least 2/3 of the criteria but only 1 did not earn a spot despite their 2 being extra spots available
165: 3 ACC wrestlers: Heller, Brady and Fields met at least 2/3 of the requirements but 1 did not receive a spot despite 1 extra being available

I would like some explanation from the NCCA why these ACC weights (especially 141 and 165) did not get the extra well earned qualifying spot. Unfortunately the sliding scale they use is not released to the public.

**157: Either Andonian or Santiago (who both had 2/3 catergories) did not get a spot. This is not as bad because all 29 allocations were filled so one of them (likely Santiago) just missed the cut.
149: Finn not being top 30 in coaches ranking likely took a spot from the ACC which I feel was a mistake because he is one of the top 30 wrestlers at his weight class IMO and has beat guys who were in the top 30
133: Yarborugh not being top 30 in coaches rankings with the wins he had the year and his RPI placement of 10 is surprising to me and likely cost the ACC another spot at this very good weight.

141 is comedy. The EIWA got 4 auto's and yet their best ranked guy isn't even in the top 10.

Fortunately, there's no way that whoever ends up being 4th won't get an at-large.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT