ADVERTISEMENT

Acc to look at cal and stanford

Absolutely hilarious that the ACC supposedly couldn't make the financials work for adding Oregon and Washington, but now they are considering Cal and Stanford. What. a. bunch. of. dolts.

Or things are being misreported.
Idiotic. What a miss Oregon and Washington were.

Can Utah and Arizona back out? At least try if you’re going after Stanford and Cal. What a bunch of dummies.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
My thoughts on this…

1) They should’ve done this weeks ago when we could’ve gotten Oregon, Washington, and the rest of the lot!

2) If the ACC is exploring the addition of Cal/Stanford, it likely means they got the go-ahead from ESPN. And if that’s the case, it likely means that the Grant of Rights would not be impacted by any expansion. After all, why would they want to impact the conference that it has a channel to and potentially lose brands (to Big Ten) or be forced to pay more for them (SEC)?

Idiotic. What a miss Oregon and Washington were.

Can Utah and Arizona back out? At least try if you’re going after Stanford and Cal. What a bunch of dummies.

Too late. There should have been a package presented to multiple PAC 12 teams to bring them to the newly branded American Coastal Conference, and they could have been a block of teams from the west, which would have been much more doable for travel.

Cal and Standord aren't coming to the ACC when every single other conference opponent is on or near the other end/corner of the country.

That's probably true, beu when we said that ACC should offer them, the response wasn't "They are Big Ten bound". The response from the smartest nimrods in the room was "The financials don't work for the ACC".
This is where I’m at right now as well.

Too late. There should have been a package presented to multiple PAC 12 teams to bring them to the newly branded American Coastal Conference, and they could have been a block of teams from the west, which would have been much more doable for travel.

Cal and Standord aren't coming to the ACC when every single other conference opponent is on or near the other end/corner of the country.

They dont have other options. Stanford isnt playing JUCOs in the Mountain West. Cal is also a prestigious institution but also a state school so it might. Stanford will probably go Independent.

If they were added to the ACC, it would have to be at a reduced share, so about the money they'd make from independence or the MWC.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
True but if you were going to add Cal and Stanford, they should have added Colorado and 1 or both Arizonas (not sold on Utah).
I get why you wouldn’t want the Big 12 to invite Utah (BYU), but wouldn’t they have made sense for the ACC? Good football programs, strong academics + AAU affiliation, and located in a major media market that helps unlock another time zone. They also would’ve made for a nice traveling partner with Colorado.

Maybe a Notre Dame type agreement with football and maybe men's and women's hoops in ACC and all Olympic sports as either independant or MWC. ESPN could use some West Coast presence and late night games with Stanford or Cal rotating having at least one home night game each week.

Maybe a Notre Dame type agreement with football and maybe men's and women's hoops in ACC and all Olympic sports as either independant or MWC. ESPN could use some West Coast presence and late night games with Stanford or Cal rotating having at least one home night game each week.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking. It would be a way for all the ACC schools to make a little extra money and help out Stanford who is a traditional rival of ND.

I can see it already: Pitt has a west coast road swing every 5 years. Play @ Stanford on a Saturday, hang out on the west coast then play @ Cal the following Thursday night.

This board is hilarious. Oregon and Washington went to the Big10. They weren’t coming to the ACC.
That is correct. ACC was looking into 5-7 Pac programs including UW and Oregon, but once the B10 got involved, it wasn't happening. Notice the timing of when the B10 went after those two...at the "11th hour"...right as things were heating up between either the Pac either staying together or a mass move to combine with the ACC. Fox/B10 probably intentionally torpedoed that, likely to prevent competition on the West Coast.

Where the ACC screwed up was not moving fast enough on Utah and ASU/Arizona. Hard to at light speed when you have FSU causing issues. And that was the pace things were happening at.

Last edited:
They are 40 or so miles apart so when you play one the next day you play the other! Two very prestigious schools.

also available.....

Zona
Or St
Wash St

They are 40 or so miles apart so when you play one the next day you play the other! Two very prestigious schools.

also available.....

Zona
Or St
Wash St
Arizona isn't available as they are signed up for the B12.

Oregon State and Washington St are.

WSU is perhaps the worst P5 athletic department out there. Averages 26K a game. Stadium seats less than 33K.

Oregon State would be one to consider a little more just because they are more competitive recently, but doesn't really fit the ACC profile. Also average only 28.4K. Stadium being rennovated but <40K capacity.

See more of a poor man's USC/UCLA add here with Stanford/Cal. Doubt they take more.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
You have shown repeatedly you have no information. Hard to say if our partial share for 6 PAC schools months ago is more attractive than the big 10 partial share for two. Point is, zero people on this board know what they are taking about.
Especially anyone who suggests that Washington and Oregon were picking the ACC over the Big 10 in any scenario.

Especially anyone who suggests that Washington and Oregon were picking the ACC over the Big 10 in any scenario.
the statements made repeatedly were to not pursue these schools because they bring no value.

Now it is, we never had a chance because the big 10 got involved. true now, but hasn’t been for the past year

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Cal and Stanford should just play each other 12 times per season and be done with it. I was cool with 6 or 8 PAC teams merging with the ACC, but this is stupid. They should see if they can get in the Big Beer Goggles 12; the bar is certainly low enough.

Could they just join for only football? That seems like the best option for the schools and ACC.
They're not even any good in football nor do they have a strong fan presence.

I would be okay with ACC teams having them on the schedule in basketball and football, but joining the conference would be a no.

the statements made repeatedly were to not pursue these schools because they bring no value.

Now it is, we never had a chance because the big 10 got involved. true now, but hasn’t been for the past year
The Big 10 was the desired destination for Oregon and Washington. Besides that, the ACC has been exploring options.

Reactions: ThePanthers
BTW, I don't think much comes out of this. Like Hale said, I don't think this closes the financial gap for any of these schools, and the logistical nightmare for the west coast teams. But who knows. Guess we'll find out in teh next day or two.

I say we do the opposite of what FSU says.

Reactions: hermdigity
Don’t have a problem with it but I’m not in fantasy land anymore that most of the ACC can remain out of a leftover group. It could help make the landing spot more credible. After the P2 the money is trash and so would be anywhere near this B12. I might go to Cal but ain’t ever going to Lubbock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT