ADVERTISEMENT

AD's want playoffs expanded

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://watchstadium.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-athletic-directors-04-07-2020/

This is inevitable and I think its great. I just wished they'd play it outside of the bowl system and keep all the money instead of letting corrupt bowl games get a cut.

I'd do the Quarterfinals at Home sites and have the Semis and Final at 1 site.

Should be
5 P5 Conference Champion game winners
3 at-large
0 auto bids for G5. However, a 13-0 G5 team SHOULD be in it in most situations

What they want and what they get will be two different things.
Federal government will be looking at the cash and want it distributed to
ALL schools. The yelling is there now, wait till this happens.
Nothing is ever easy once the lawyers get involved.

Reactions: pierre93
its not great

how often would an 8 seed beat the 1 seed? Never
how often would a 7 seed beat a 2 seed? rarely

every year there are two or maybe 3 teams that are a cut above the rest.

https://watchstadium.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-athletic-directors-04-07-2020/

This is inevitable and I think its great. I just wished they'd play it outside of the bowl system and keep all the money instead of letting corrupt bowl games get a cut.

I'd do the Quarterfinals at Home sites and have the Semis and Final at 1 site.

Should be
5 P5 Conference Champion game winners
3 at-large
0 auto bids for G5. However, a 13-0 G5 team SHOULD be in it in most situations
Agree. Except I make a provision for a G5 team, provided they have to be ranked say 12th or better.

I think it is perfect. Honestly, it makes all of the conferences relevant, I think it helps spread out recruiting rather than concentrate because more teams have opportunities so you won't have these 3-5 teams just hoarding talent after talent and the same teams always make it. Of course in most years Clemson and Alabama will be there. But occasionally you can see other teams rotate in and out.

its not great

It doesn't matter. Its more football. More games that matter and tens of millions of people will watch.

I know it wont change, but would love to them to scrap the rankings. Win your P5 conference Championship game and your in. However, then you have to do more than just 6 or 8 teams. You have to do them all. OK, maybe you need some rankings for seedings...and give byes to make the numbers work. Chances of a Sunbelt winner beating the SEC winner is slim, but it gives all conferences a chance.

I know it wont change, but would love to them to scrap the rankings. Win your P5 conference Championship game and your in. However, then you have to do more than just 6 or 8 teams. You have to do them all. OK, maybe you need some rankings for seedings...and give byes to make the numbers work. Chances of a Sunbelt winner beating the SEC winner is slim, but it gives all conferences a chance.
I like this line of thinking ... I'd say make it 8 teams. Each P5 conference gets to select their representative. If each conference wants to separate itself into divisions and play a championship game and use the winner as their rep in the playoffs, fine. Or they could pick the highest ranked team in the coaches poll, or whatever other method, but they get to select the team to represent them. Then the polls and/or committee would select 3 teams, 1 team from 3 of the G5. I'd be inclined to not include ND in this, but tell them to join a P5 conference.

Agree, inevitable. Probably 5-1-2. Only downside for Pitt is ACC may go divisionless if permitted.

5 P5 champs, and 3 wild cards. If the best G5 is in the top 12, they get a bid. This would allow for more big non conference games, as a loss wouldn't really hurt you, but a win might put a team in position to grab a wild card should they lose their conference championship game.

Yeah I think it is coming sooner than later. And we have had this discussion alot on this board. Some are against it because they feel there is already a significant gap between say teams 1 and 2 vs teams 4 and 5. And maybe so. For now.

But my contention is .....you automatically give all 5 conferences at least one slot at the table, and there are 2-3 at large's (depending on the G5 entry), I think what will happen is you will see more of these top 100 kids spread out instead of concentrating on 3-4 teams like they seem to be now. That doesn't mean the 8th seed team would be as good as the 1st, but it would mean the 1 seed maybe has a few less super NFL prospects and the 8 seed a few more. So the line goes from say 15 to 8 point spread.

its not great

Unless it's a rivalry game, you're right. Maybe 10 years ago you'd have some competition with the top 10-15 teams. Now there are 2-3 teams at the very top and a pretty steep drop to the 4-10 type teams. But if you get a playoff with No.1 Alabama against a No. 8 Auburn, who knows what could happen.

its not great

Who cares, giving them the chance is better than no chance at all, better than just deciding in August that Bama should play Clemson.

its not great

Obviously, the point is to make $$$, but I think more than that, if winning you're conference championship was an auto bid it would keep so many more fan bases in it. Imagine two years ago when Pitt is in the ACC Championship and if they win that they make the playoff. It would make it that much more exciting. It would just allow more teams, players, and fan bases to "have a chance" and get a taste. It will also put more fans in the seats of "lower" schools like Pitt, Northwestern, etc when they're in contention.

Reactions: Pitt79 and 21Guns.
Going to 8 teams is inevitable, within a couple years of going to 8 there will begin to be rumblings about going to 16.

its not great

So you are telling me none of these games in first round would be at all interesting? This is college football so upsets will happen. Maybe there are a few blow outs but I would rather every power 5 team have a way to earn a slot into the playoff on the field rather than let some committee decide. I would rather see Georgia and Oklahoma decide on the field who deserves to make it to the final four then some AD and former players. To me is simple...top 4 conference champions or independents host the first round.

What we could of have had on 12/21:

#8 Wisconsin at #1 LSU
#7 Baylor at #2 Ohio State
#6 Oregon at #3 Clemson
#5 Georgia at #4 Oklahoma

instead you would rather watch this?

Celebration Bowl
North Carolina A&T 64, Alcorn State 44

New Mexico Bowl
San Diego State 48, Central Michigan 11

FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl
Liberty 23, Georgia Southern 16

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl
Florida Atlantic 52, SMU 28

Camellia Bowl
Arkansas State 34, Florida International 26

Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl
Washington 38, Boise State 7

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Appalachian State 31, UAB 17

Reactions: the_insider_
Obviously, the point is to make $$$, but I think more than that, if winning you're conference championship was an auto bid it would keep so many more fan bases in it. Imagine two years ago when Pitt is in the ACC Championship and if they win that they make the playoff. It would make it that much more exciting. It would just allow more teams, players, and fan bases to "have a chance" and get a taste. It will also put more fans in the seats of "lower" schools like Pitt, Northwestern, etc when they're in contention.
Take the power from the committee and give it to the schools who now can earn a spot in the playoffs.

Reactions: the_insider_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT