ADVERTISEMENT

No 12 team CFP?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Gordon Gee says Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12 voting no. I would think the ACC would as well.

So, maybe an 8 teamer? I think, right now, to counter....or maybe punish the SEC a little bit, that's the best way.

Should be:

4 P4 champs
1 G6 champ
3 best at-large teams but only 2 can be from same conference

So, in this scenario, 1 gets left out:

1. Bama 13-0
3. UGa 12-1
4. OU 11-1
7. Texas 10-2

I'd love to see them play these games outside of the bowl system. Quarterfinals on campus and then the semi's and final in the same city, who bids the highest.

I'd love to see them play these games outside of the bowl system. Quarterfinals on campus and then the semi's and final in the same city, who bids the highest.
The top 4 seeds hosting round one is most likely going to happen, then the semi-finals at bowl sites and the finals at a host city. 8 teams also works out perfectly if they want to keep the semi-finals on or near New Years Day, the calendar for this upcoming season sets up perfectly for an 8 team playoff.

Friday, December 17 & Saturday, December 18 - Round 1 on campus
Saturday, January 1 - Semi-Finals at bowl games
Monday, January 10 - Finals

It may still be 12 eventually. Gee and others are voting no on the current version being brought forward to allow more time to review and adjust.

That's was pretty much made clear during the alliance presser.

The top 4 seeds hosting round one is most likely going to happen, then the semi-finals at bowl sites and the finals at a host city. 8 teams also works out perfectly if they want to keep the semi-finals on or near New Years Day, the calendar for this upcoming season sets up perfectly for an 8 team playoff.

Friday, December 17 & Saturday, December 18 - Round 1 on campus
Saturday, January 1 - Semi-Finals at bowl games
Monday, January 10 - Finals
Right, I just think its stupid to outsource the semifinals to bowl games

It may still be 12 eventually. Gee and others are voting no on the current version being brought forward to allow more time to review and adjust.

That's was pretty much made clear during the alliance presser.
That’s not the reason Gee is voting no. You could be correct about the others.

There are many things that the media/public don’t consider. It’s just the bare minimum of info. Pete Thamel is about the only reporter who digs a little more. A lot of it surely has to do with negotiating, positioning, etc.

I am guessing this is a bigger reason for Gee’s comments.

smf's post i agree on. go 8, it's a no brainer.. going from 4 to 12 without even stopping at 8 for a year or two is just nonsensical.

nice to the see the alliance which we've been told is not a voting bloc, is working successfully at bloc(k)ing votes.

Right, I just think its stupid to outsource the semifinals to bowl games
Even if they did break the playoff away from the bowls those same cities would still be hosting the games, you might see Las Vegas and Indianapolis join the rotation but it's always going to be a combo Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, Glendale, and Los Angeles hosting.

There are many things that the media/public don’t consider. It’s just the bare minimum of info. Pete Thamel is about the only reporter who digs a little more. A lot of it surely has to do with negotiating, positioning, etc.

The man just said 2 months ago it made sense, but it doesn't now due to the unstable nature of the current environment, so to say he "never" would, doesn't make sense to me.

I think he and others want more say. It may not come down to 12 being the right number, or it may. They have 4 years to figure that out. But I'd bet if Gee is still around in 4 years, and it's time to renew the CFP TV deal, and the number is 12 (or insert whatever) after everyone had input and a say and more time to review, he would vote to expand.

Curious, what is your thought on why it would serve WVU's best interest to not expand past the current 4 members? Is it the hope that it forces ND to join the ACC and they bring WVU along?

lets admit the truth here, no one outside of SEC wants 12 teams because they know 50% of it will be the SEC. everyone knows this, they wont admit it so they wont vote on it. if you dont want 50% of the playoffs to be SEC teams, get better..

lets admit the truth here, no one outside of SEC wants 12 teams because they know 50% of it will be the SEC. everyone knows this, they wont admit it so they wont vote on it. if you dont want 50% of the playoffs to be SEC teams, get better..

I'd say every Group of 5 conference wants it. Aresco was just quoted yesterday he'd vote yes on what was proposed and doesn't think it should be delayed. I'd even think the BIG may want it as if it was 12 with 6 at large bids, they'd have a lot more playoff contenders based on the past.

I think the only thing we can say for certain is that this will be pushed back to 2025 for the final decision and it will go to market. I think it is also likely it will expand past the current 4 teams based on comments from many of the leaders, but the number and how it's constructed (auto bids, conference champs, host sites, etc) will be up for debate.

I'd say every Group of 5 conference wants it. Aresco was just quoted yesterday he'd vote yes on what was proposed and doesn't think it should be delayed. I'd even think the BIG may want it as if it was 12 with 6 at large bids, they'd have a lot more playoff contenders based on the past.

I think the only thing we can say for certain is that this will be pushed back to 2025 for the final decision and it will go to market. I think it is also likely it will expand past the current 4 teams based on comments from many of the leaders, but the number and how it's constructed (auto bids, conference champs, host sites, etc) will be up for debate.
was the original proposal of it to be strictly espn? durham and packer talked about it "going to market" being a big deal. why wouldnt they want networks to bid for this to get the most money?

smf's post i agree on. go 8, it's a no brainer.. going from 4 to 12 without even stopping at 8 for a year or two is just nonsensical.

nice to the see the alliance which we've been told is not a voting bloc, is working successfully at bloc(k)ing votes.
No! The Alliance is nothing; meaningless; worthless.
We were already told! 🙄😏😂

Even if they did break the playoff away from the bowls those same cities would still be hosting the games, you might see Las Vegas and Indianapolis join the rotation but it's always going to be a combo Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, Glendale, and Los Angeles hosting.
Way more options:

Miami
Orlando
Tampa
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Atlanta
Charlotte (maybe too cold but if they pay enough)
Indy
Detroit
Houston
Arlington
Minneapolis
Glendale
Vegas
LA
Nashville (again, maybe too cold)

Point is you have all these cities bid against each other for a 1-2 week long football festival. Semifinals at the same site

Semifinals: Jan 1
NC: Jan 8

And let me stop those of you from saying: "who wants to spend January in Detroit." The answer is the P4/5 if the price is right. You go to the highest bidder. The games are going to sell out, the fans dont need to lay on a beach all week. Find something else to do or stay home.

Notre dame wants the 12 team scenario. ACC needs to find a way to leverage this to drive them into the ACC. B12 will never approve unless they are guaranteed a spot. it will be interesting to see how their power in this voting is reduced in the coming years. Gee is using his last cards but it wont matter long term.

Maybe at 12 it can be P4 plus 2 guaranteed lower conferences, then 6 at large.

No! The Alliance is nothing; meaningless; worthless.
We were already told! 🙄😏😂
I said a million times, it was a voting bloc on the CFP, which I consider to be "nothing." Pitt isnt making either an 8 or 12 team playoff and it doesn't prevent Clem and FSU from joining the SEC or Big Ten.

was the original proposal of it to be strictly espn? durham and packer talked about it "going to market" being a big deal. why wouldnt they want networks to bid for this to get the most money?
For starters, I'm sure everyone wants 12 teams. More games means more money. ESPN has a window for exclusive renewal and everyone seemed to be on board with the move to 12 until TX/OU broke and everyone started looking pretty weird at Sankey and Swarbrick. So, now, it would seem that everyone is going to look much closer at the details. Plus, the new commishes of the Big/Pac 10 both worked in the NFL so, it looks like they may want to push for the NFL multi-network playoff model.

Honestly, I think its going to work like this:

The P4 get together. The ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 say here's what we want:

- 8 teams
- auto bids for 4 P4 champs (I'd hope even a 7-5 Pitt would get on if they win the ACCCG. Auto bid like bball)
- no auto bid for Big 12
- 1 bid guaranteed for G6 (which B12 is now part of). B12 probably grabs this bid 4 out of 5 years anyway

ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 say take it or leave it. It would be interesting to see if the SEC says "leave it" and goes out on their own, weirdly maybe with the Big 12 and does their own thing.

Remember, the CFP is not "NCAA sponsored." Its the P5 leagues getting together to generate revenue with the byproduct of naming a champion.

This isnt a prediction but I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 different tournaments

1. ACC, SEC, Pac 12
2. SEC, Big 12

I think you have seen the battle lines be drawn.

Reactions: Pitt79
Honestly, I think its going to work like this:

The P4 get together. The ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 say here's what we want:

- 8 teams
- auto bids for 4 P4 champs (I'd hope even a 7-5 Pitt would get on if they win the ACCCG. Auto bid like bball)
- no auto bid for Big 12
- 1 bid guaranteed for G6 (which B12 is now part of). B12 probably grabs this bid 4 out of 5 years anyway

ACC, Big Ten, and Pac 12 say take it or leave it. It would be interesting to see if the SEC says "leave it" and goes out on their own, weirdly maybe with the Big 12 and does their own thing.

Remember, the CFP is not "NCAA sponsored." Its the P5 leagues getting together to generate revenue with the byproduct of naming a champion.

This isnt a prediction but I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 different tournaments

1. ACC, SEC, Pac 12
2. SEC, Big 12

I think you have seen the battle lines be drawn.
The Big 10 would just as big of a winner as the SEC if the CFP went to 12 teams. Why would they push for 8?

Gee is 76 years old. He might be the oldest president of a power 5 university currently serving. Has he announced a future retirement date?

Way more options:

Miami
Orlando
Tampa
Jacksonville
New Orleans
Atlanta
Charlotte (maybe too cold but if they pay enough)
Indy
Detroit
Houston
Arlington
Minneapolis
Glendale
Vegas
LA
Nashville (again, maybe too cold)

Point is you have all these cities bid against each other for a 1-2 week long football festival. Semifinals at the same site

Semifinals: Jan 1
NC: Jan 8

And let me stop those of you from saying: "who wants to spend January in Detroit." The answer is the P4/5 if the price is right. You go to the highest bidder. The games are going to sell out, the fans dont need to lay on a beach all week. Find something else to do or stay home.
Cities like Detroit, Minneapolis, Charlotte, and Jacksonville would be the first to get bounced in any bid process, they don't have the money(from the local tourist industry) to compete with the like of New Orleans, Miami, Los Angeles and so on. Any bid process would be between the cities already in the rotation along with ones like Las Vegas, Tampa, Indianapolis and Orlando(who's stadium is still kind of a dump).

Need home games for first rd of playoffs (if it expands to 8 - 12). One thing college football is lacking is that home game playoff atmosphere.

Still do the NC game and maybe even the semi final game at a neutral site if you want to keep this dumb bowl game tie in.

The idea of a hone playoff game in late November or early December between two teams from different conferences would be sick.

ESPN gets exclusive negotiating rights prior to some set in stone date. After that, it can be negotiated with anyone. This "meaningless" alliance would stand to benefit from adopting an NFL like approach where the product gets spread out over several networks. There are also some other pretty important details that suddenly came up like what to do with cold weather venues. Not sure why that was suddenly mentioned as an issue.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
ESPN gets exclusive negotiating rights prior to some set in stone date. After that, it can be negotiated with anyone. This "meaningless" alliance would stand to benefit from adopting an NFL like approach where the product gets spread out over several networks. There are also some other pretty important details that suddenly came up like what to do with cold weather venues. Not sure why that was suddenly mentioned as an issue.
Thanks Pittdan, good info.

Cold weather venues for home playoff games is the one thing the nfl has right over college football. i think d1-aa and lower levels of college football playoffs do it. time to end this stupid, out-dated bowl game tie in nonsense with the playoffs.

go to 8, first round is at home for higher seed, P4 auto bids, 3 at large bids, do 1 for G5. it's simple, makes sense and if after a couple years there is room to go to 12, so be it..

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
Thanks Pittdan, good info.

Cold weather venues for home playoff games is the one thing the nfl has right over college football
Yeah, it's not easy or cheap to keep a place like Beaver Stadium going for another week or two. NFL stadiums were built for colder weather. Pipes tend to run inside of walls where they can keep things warm. Not the case with the erector set or some of those other stadiums. I don't see it as a major obstacle but you'd be in even worse shape if you had an unexpected cold snap somewhere down south. You saw what that did to Texas.

The man just said 2 months ago it made sense, but it doesn't now due to the unstable nature of the current environment, so to say he "never" would, doesn't make sense to me.

I think he and others want more say. It may not come down to 12 being the right number, or it may. They have 4 years to figure that out. But I'd bet if Gee is still around in 4 years, and it's time to renew the CFP TV deal, and the number is 12 (or insert whatever) after everyone had input and a say and more time to review, he would vote to expand.

Curious, what is your thought on why it would serve WVU's best interest to not expand past the current 4 members? Is it the hope that it forces ND to join the ACC and they bring WVU along?
No. I don’t think his “no” vote has anything to do with WVU’s best opportunity for CFP inclusion. If that was the case, I’d think he want a 12 team playoff with the 6 auto bids and 6 at large that was proposed.

BTW, ND is never joining a conference IMO. They’ll eventually have to join a “league” though down the road when the conference format goes away.

Last edited:
Cities like Detroit, Minneapolis, Charlotte, and Jacksonville would be the first to get bounced in any bid process, they don't have the money(from the local tourist industry) to compete with the like of New Orleans, Miami, Los Angeles and so on. Any bid process would be between the cities already in the rotation along with ones like Las Vegas, Tampa, Indianapolis and Orlando(who's stadium is still kind of a dump).
Probably but they've hosted super bowls and Final Fours If they want to bid and the money is right, the CFP would go there.

No. I don’t think his “no” vote has anything to do with WVU’s best opportunity for CFP inclusion. If that was the case, I’d think he want a 12 team playoff with the 6 auto bids and 6 at large that was proposed.

BTW, ND is never joining a conference IMO. They’ll eventually have to join a “league” though down the road when the conference format goes away.
I don't think anyone is voting for or against the CFP based on what possibilities one school could enjoy. I still don't think WVU is necessarily stuck where they're at.

I also don't see auto bids happening.

Probably but they've hosted super bowls and Final Fours If they want to bid and the money is right, the CFP would go there.
I live in the Detroit area and there's no talk or desire from the Mayor or other regional leaders to host a Super Bowl or Final Four again. They seem content on Frozen Four's, 1st/2nd Rounds & Sweet 16's in basketball, and the Grand Prix on Belle Isle. It would be a hard sell to the CFP Committee since the Detroit area really doesn't have the hotel rooms so people would be staying in Ann Arbor, Toledo, Flint, Port Huron and across the river in Windsor, Ontario, like with the Super Bowl and Final Four. Also, the only college football people care for up here is Michigan and Michigan State, no locals will show up for Clemson vs. Ohio State.

I live in the Detroit area and there's no talk or desire from the Mayor or other regional leaders to host a Super Bowl or Final Four again. They seem content on Frozen Four's, 1st/2nd Rounds & Sweet 16's in basketball, and the Grand Prix on Belle Isle. It would be a hard sell to the CFP Committee since the Detroit area really doesn't have the hotel rooms so people would be staying in Ann Arbor, Toledo, Flint, Port Huron and across the river in Windsor, Ontario, like with the Super Bowl and Final Four. Also, the only college football people care for up here is Michigan and Michigan State, no locals will show up for Clemson vs. Ohio State.
Locals don't go to THOSE games

Ya know you can have 12 teams AND put a cap on the number of teams from one conference

Reactions: Pitt79
Ya know you can have 12 teams AND put a cap on the number of teams from one conference
why does everyone hate 8? it's such a nice rounded number. extremely easy for a tourney, 12 is a mess, you have byes and all kind of nonsense. skipping over 8 is mind boggling.

can we just go to 8, can we go to the next logical step and not over think this. please? for me. why do you guys do this to me. it's 8, 4 then 8.

Reactions: pittdan77
why does everyone hate 8? it's such a nice rounded number. extremely easy for a tourney, 12 is a mess, you have byes and all kind of nonsense. skipping over 8 is mind boggling.

can we just go to 8, can we go to the next logical step and not over think this. please? for me. why do you guys do this to me. it's 8, 4 then 8.
You could do 6.

Could it be because the NEW SEC doesn't want Conference champs or limits on how many per conference? Hoping that half their conference makes it every year because of optometrists and eye tests? I think 12 would be best, with a limit of 2-3 per conference and the Power conference champs and one G5 champ AUTOMATIC. Home field is a great idea too, I would love to see Bama lose just because they couldn't handle playing on ice or snow or with freezing rain. To me, THE ONLY REASON for an expanded playoff is to get DIFFERENT teams in EVERY year, I suppose the SEC or some people in power want to rig it so it's the SAME 12 teams every year? The conferences other than the SEC need to hold out for AUTOMATIC qualifier slots, and limits on how many per conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT