ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama State Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** As fans, we’ve done plenty of complaining about our Panthers Hoopers so far this year. We’ve all grumbled plenty about how we feel fed up seeing our Panthers underperform and come away with losses.

** But seeing the faces of our Panther players close up during today’s first half reminded me of something a little more important. These losses take an even greater toll on our players. These guys didn’t sign up to play poorly. They didn’t sign up to lose games.

** I’m guessing most of you who read these boards played on a sports team at some point during your teen years or beyond. And during that time, you may have had a coach you didn’t like all that much. But I really doubt anyone made a choice to play poorly just to spite the coach.

** Having said this, how and why the Panthers looked so poor for an extensive stretch of today’s first half is a little hard to fathom.

** During a ten minute stretch, we were outscored by the Hornets 28-8. Keep in mind this is clearly a substandard Alabama State team who is really devoid of legit basketball size. Of their eight players, two are listed at 6-7 and one at 6-8, but Blake Hinson listed at 6-7 was noticeably taller than all three of them.

** This 10 minute stretch was a failure on both ends. We left Hornet shooters go uncovered, while allowing easy penetration into the lane.

** On offense, it was frequently three or four perimeter passes followed by a not so wise three. The Panthers were 1-9 from three during the aforementioned stretch. While the Hornets hit four straight at one point.

** @BballinsiderfromPitt has suggested he thinks this Pitt team is as bad worse as the infamous 0-18 squad. I’ve resisted that notion, but that 28-8 stretch brought back memories of that year. A loss today would have cemented the thought.

** So eventually the Panthers righted the ship. Most importantly, they started moving the ball in and out of the zone instead of listlessly tossing it around the perimeter. It wasn’t great. But it was enough to show they aren’t packing it in.

** I’m not sure if our defense improved so much after going down 12 as much as the Hornets returned to the level at which they typically fly. And for the most part, in the second half they truly looked like the #350 ranked team on Pomeroy. In fact, some of their attempts at the rim were so off they were actually cringeworthy.

** But a particular shout out should go to Nike Sibande who certainly came after alive as this game when forward. He was the difference maker for the Panthers this day.

** I think we are nowhere near to having a clear idea where we might set this team’s ceiling. But contributions like this from Nike can mean a win or two here or there.

** Blake played well enough, but I think he would have better served his team by trying to do damage down low instead to playing on the perimeter, especially during the stretch when the Panthers were reeling.

** The same can be said for John Hugley, who clearly has quite a way to go to improve his conditioning. One doesn’t have to sit courtside to realize this. And when you have a 3 inch and 40 pound advantage on your opponent, why settle for a 15 foot jump shot?

** A big shout out goes to Jorge for hitting both of his threes. He had a nicely productive 20 minutes and it looks like his confidence is growing. This can be an interesting team when he plays the three with Blake and John on the court.

** Another shout out should go to the other 500 or so Pitt fans who joined for this game. We all did a lot of complaining, especially in the first half, but we were there.

** I’d also like to give a nod to my courtside seat neighbor Mike. I promised him I would promote his brilliant idea to employ a falcon to scare off the pigeons at Acrisure. He even offered the sponsor dollars. Heather?

** Among the many cool perks of sitting courtside is the opportunity to chat a little with the refs and I got to do this with Roger Ayers ,who is one of the very few best in college hoops. As he ran by us, we gave him kudos for spotting a heel on the sideline. He responded with: “hey I’m 2 for 2 today!”

** I suppose another shout out should go to referee Jenna Reneau who I believe is the second woman ref to do a regular season men’s basketball game at the Pete, following Clare Aubry who did the UT-Martin game. Fortunately, the day may be not so far away when such milestones no longer need mention.

** Another courtside perk is better beer than you can get otherwise in the Pete. I’m usually not one to drink on Sundays but why not have a Levity Brewing Medulla Oblongata sitting courtside if you can?

** Before departing, I’ll offer my sincere thanks to my benefactor who allowed this game to be much more enjoyable than it would have been sitting higher up.

** And I’ll close with a congrats to our Panther players on a win, albeit one that was at least halfway disturbing. But at least they met their goal today in the second half and could walk away without a greater toll on their psyche.

Nice dribbles except I love pigeons.

Fair enough and I'm mostly ambivalent on the topic , but it was not my idea! Still, one of these days, one of them is going to get bolted from the sky from a flying football.

• Wow
Reactions: Drew1208
** As fans, we’ve done plenty of complaining about our Panthers Hoopers so far this year. We’ve all grumbled plenty about how we feel fed up seeing our Panthers underperform and come away with losses.

** But seeing the faces of our Panther players close up during today’s first half reminded me of something a little more important. These losses take an even greater toll on our players. These guys didn’t sign up to play poorly. They didn’t sign up to lose games.

** I’m guessing most of you who read these boards played on a sports team at some point during your teen years or beyond. And during that time, you may have had a coach you didn’t like all that much. But I really doubt anyone made a choice to play poorly just to spite the coach.

** Having said this, how and why the Panthers looked so poor for an extensive stretch of today’s first half is a little hard to fathom.

** During a ten minute stretch, we were outscored by the Hornets 28-8. Keep in mind this is clearly a really substandard Alabama State team who is really devoid of legit basketball size. Of their eight players, two are listed at 6-7 and one at 6-8, but Blake Hinson listed at 6-7 was noticeably taller than all three of them.

** This 10 minute stretch was a failure on both ends. We left Hornet shooters go uncovered, while allowing easy penetration into the lane.

** On offense, it was frequently three or four perimeter passes followed by a not so wise three. The Panthers were 1-9 from three during the aforementioned stretch. While the Hornets hit four straight at one point.

** @BballinsiderfromPitt has suggested he thinks this team is as bad worse as the infamous 0-18 squad. I’ve resisted that notion, but that 28-8 stretch brought back memories of that year. A loss today would have cemented the thought.

** So eventually the Panthers righted the ship. Most importantly, they started moving the ball in and out of the zone instead of listlessly tossing it around the perimeter. It wasn’t great. But it was enough to show they aren’t packing it in.

** I’m not sure if our defense improved so much after going down 12 as much as the Hornets returned to the level at which they typically fly. And for the most part, in the second half they truly looked like the #350 ranked team on Pomeroy. In fact, some of their attempts at the rim were so off they were actually cringeworthy.

** But a particular shout out should go to Nike Sibande who certainly came after alive as this game when forward. He was the difference maker for the Panthers this day.

** I think we are nowhere near to having a clear idea where we might set this team’s ceiling. But contributions like this from Nike can mean a win or two here or there.

** Blake played well enough, but I think he would have better served his team by trying to do damage down low instead to playing on the perimeter, especially during the stretch when the Panthers were reeling.

** The same can be said for John Hugley, who clearly has quite a way to go to improve his conditioning. One doesn’t have to sit courtside to realize this. And when you have a 3 inch and 40 pound advantage on your opponent, why settle for a 15 foot jump shot?

** A big shout out goes to Jorge for hitting both of his threes. He had a nicely productive 20 minutes and it looks like his confidence is growing. This can be an interesting team when he plays the three with Blake and John on the court.

** Another shout out should go to the other 500 or so Pitt fans who joined for this game. We all did a lot of complaining, especially in the first half, but we were there.

** I’d also like to give a nod to my courtside seat neighbor Mike. I promised him I would promote his brilliant idea to employ a falcon to scare off the pigeons at Acrisure. He even offered the sponsor dollars. Heather?

** Among the many cool perks of sitting courtside is the opportunity to chat a little with the refs and I got to do this with Roger Ayers ,who is one of the very few best in college hoops. As he ran by us, we gave him kudos for spotting a heel on the sideline. He responded with: “hey I’m 2 for 2 today!”

** I suppose another shout out should go to referee Jenna Reneau who I believe is the second woman ref to do a regular season men’s basketball game at the Pete, following Clare Aubry who did the UT-Martin game. Fortunately, the day may be not so far away when such milestones no longer need mention.

** Another courtside perk is better beer than you can get otherwise in the Pete. I’m usually not one to drink on Sundays but why not have a Levity Brewing Medulla Oblongata sitting courtside if you can?

** Before departing, I’ll offer my sincere thanks to my benefactor who allowed this game to be much more enjoyable than it would have been sitting higher up.

** And I’ll close with a congrats to our Panther players on a win, albeit one that was at least halfway disturbing. But at least they met their goal today in the second half and could walk away without a greater toll on their psyche.

28-8 was as bad but to say this team will go 0-18 or 0-20 is ridiculous. If Hugley gets healthy, he is going to be really good. I still haven't given up hope that this team can get to the NIT

28-8 was as bad but to say this team will go 0-18 or 0-20 is ridiculous. If Hugley gets healthy, he is going to be really good. I still haven't given up hope that this team can get to the NIT

Blake Hinson is a very solid player and we already know what Hugley is capable of. You've gotta hope that our guards are better than they have shown thus far

There's still a tough road to the NIT. First, you would have to think the Panthers need to run the table the rest of the OOC schedule. So that would mean 8-3. From there, you have to figure we'd need to go 9-11 in the ACC to end up 17-14. Maybe a win or so in the ACC tournament also.

We should win the next two easily, but after than, we go to Northwestern that is currently #57 according to Pomeroy.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the optimism.

Reactions: cabe23
I took my son to the game today, our first since before Covid. He's 8 and just started playing basketball competitively himself. He had a nice time even though we were pretty bad, but I'm glad we pulled it out. I did tell him in the first half when we were were down 10 that we'd win in the end, but that didn't really mean anything bc Alabama State was so bad. On a positive note, the Pete looks great, hopefully sometime soon the product on the court will be worthy of the building.

Hugely is also pressing a bit. I worry that he is trying too hard. His offense is not good at the present. His defense/rebounding is average. I am hoping he gets back to form over December; hopefully we don't rush it.

I took my son to the game today, our first since before Covid. He's 8 and just started playing basketball competitively himself. He had a nice time even though we were pretty bad, but I'm glad we pulled it out. I did tell him in the first half when we were were down 10 that we'd win in the end, but that didn't really mean anything bc Alabama State was so bad. On a positive note, the Pete looks great, hopefully sometime soon the product on the court will be worthy of the building.

Wish you had let me know you were going. Would love to meet your son.

As he ran by us, we gave him kudos for spotting a heel on the sideline. He responded with: “hey I’m 2 for 2 today!”

I think it was him but I am not positive, but in the second half Nate Santos was clearly on the line down in the corner where we sit and he or one of the other refs missed it.

But then again, I've heard that two out of three ain't bad!

Wish you had let me know you were going. Would love to meet your son.
I was going to yell down the Court to you but we were in the opposite corner. We decided to go like an hour before the game. Hopefully next time.

** During a ten minute stretch, we were outscored by the Hornets 28-8. Keep in mind this is clearly a really substandard Alabama State team who is really devoid of legit basketball size. Of their eight players, two are listed at 6-7 and one at 6-8, but Blake Hinson listed at 6-7 was noticeably taller than all three of them.

** @BballinsiderfromPitt has suggested he thinks this team is as bad worse as the infamous 0-18 squad. I’ve resisted that notion, but that 28-8 stretch brought back memories of that year. A loss today would have cemented the thought.

Thanks again for the Dribbles, DT. I always enjoy them. I watched the ACCNX replay tonight since I couldn't watch it live this afternoon. That first about 10 minutes of the 2nd half when Pitt outscored them 33-5 was the way they should be capble of playing all the time, IMHO. There was actually teamwork involved during that stretch. This team is like a hospital ward with Hugley struggling to get back from injury, Jeffress out for the season and Burton out for this game. That can't help in the attempt to develop consistency and cohesiveness.

OT--On a side note, for family reasons, I was at a Division 3 game (no athletic ships) this afternoon (Marymount, VA vs Amherst, MA). Extremely surprised to see Amherst's roster included two 6-10 players and a 7-1 freshman plus 2 or3 6-7 guys . Marymount, by comparison, had no one over 6-7. None of the three Amherst tall three (all got decent PT) were complete stiffs. That also was most surprising.

Do you think Pitt might play three forwards together more this year? (I keep hoping.)

Do you think Pitt might play three forwards together more this year? (I keep hoping.)

You would have to figure that Capel is thinking about it. Today, Jorge played more three than four, but that was because Burton was out. I wouldn't read too much into it from today though. We've got three straight against Northwestern, NC State and then Vandy. We will know the plan by then.

Reactions: gary2
You would have to figure that Capel is thinking about it. Today, Jorge played more three than four, but that was because Burton was out. I wouldn't read too much into it from today though. We've got three straight against Northwestern, NC State and then Vandy. We will know the plan by then.
Thanks for the reply.

The twins do bring energy.

That is certainly what I hope to see, also. If one of the three is Hinson and Jorge keeps improving you certainly don't lose anything offensively and maybe gain by being better able to score inside when Hugley isn't the only threat to do so.

I did tell him in the first half when we were were down 10 that we'd win in the end, but that didn't really mean anything bc Alabama State was so bad.
Does anything provide better parenting opportunities to impart life lessons than spectator sports?

"See how all they're doing is passing it around outside then taking 3s?" "Don't do that."

If only you had been around some of our players 10 years ago to have been a greater influence in their lives.

Blake Hinson is a very solid player and we already know what Hugley is capable of. You've gotta hope that our guards are better than they have shown thus far

There's still a tough road to the NIT. First, you would have to think the Panthers need to run the table the rest of the OOC schedule. So that would mean 8-3. From there, you have to figure we'd need to go 9-11 in the ACC to end up 17-14. Maybe a win or so in the ACC tournament also.

We should win the next two easily, but after than, we go to Northwestern that is currently #57 according to Pomeroy.

I wouldn't bet that they'd make it even with a healthy Hugley but I'm saying 15-16/8-12 so that's just 2-3 wins off the NIT. They do probably need 17-14/9-11 plus maybe a win in the ACCT to get in though.

I think the NIT is wishful thinking. Once again, this team is without an ACC level point guard. I very much hoped that Neely would be the answer but fear he is too slow and weak. I've never seen a PG loose his footing or get pushed to the ground as much as he does. Was Dior running the point at all or was he more of a 2 guard?

I think the NIT is wishful thinking. Once again, this team is without an ACC level point guard. I very much hoped that Neely would be the answer but fear he is too slow and weak. I've never seen a PG loose his footing or get pushed to the ground as much as he does. Was Dior running the point at all or was he more of a 2 guard?

It was reported that Dior was completely a lead (point) guard.

I wondered who the fan was that was beating the official's ear. Now I know!

Initially I thought it was harassment, but when the ref stuck around I figured it must actually be a friendly conversation.

I wondered who the fan was that was beating the official's ear. Now I know!

Initially I thought it was harassment, but when the ref stuck around I figured it must actually be a friendly conversation.

Haha -- that wasn't me actually! I only spoke out to Roger when he was running by.

But damm is it tempting to want to yell at the ref for every call when you are that close and you know they can hear you.

It was reported that Dior was completely a lead (point) guard.
That might explain why JC seemed subdued, per your observation, at the open practice. Probably knew in his gut, what the Dior news meant. Neely would make a decent back up PG. Hope I am wrong.

** During a ten minute stretch, we were outscored by the Hornets 28-8. Keep in mind this is clearly a substandard Alabama State team who is really devoid of legit basketball size. Of their eight players, two are listed at 6-7 and one at 6-8, but Blake Hinson listed at 6-7 was noticeably taller than all three of them.

** @BballinsiderfromPitt has suggested he thinks this Pitt team is as bad worse as the infamous 0-18 squad. I’ve resisted that notion, but that 28-8 stretch brought back memories of that year. A loss today would have cemented the thought.

Are we not clear where their ceiling is or are we unwilling to accept what seems kind of obvious at this point.

Are we not clear where their ceiling is or are we unwilling to accept what seems kind of obvious at this point.

I stated it as unclear because we don't know if Dior will ever be back and if/when John is near 100%.

I think it's going to be hard to avoid a 7th straight losing season, but it's nice to think of the possibility of being a pretty decent team by year end.

I stated it as unclear because we don't know if Dior will ever be back and if/when John is near 100%.

I think it's going to be hard to avoid a 7th straight losing season, but it's nice to think of the possibility of being a pretty decent team by year end.

if Dior gets the felony dropped (I think he will), the Pitt admin will have an interesting choice on their hands

On one hand obviously it’s not a good look to bring him back

On the other it could be a multimillion dollar decision as Dior could be the difference between having to fire Capel at the end of the year or not.

Reactions: TurdFerguson80085
if Dior gets the felony dropped (I think he will), the Pitt admin will have an interesting choice on their hands

On the other it could be a multimillion dollar decision as Dior could be the difference between having to fire Capel at the end of the year or not.
On the other hand, Dayon Hayes played Saturday after only missing a game, despite still having active domestic violence misdemeanors.

Reactions: pittjas and Jim Z

Interesting dilemma for sure.

If the felony charges are dropped its hard not to bring him back. For all anyone on this board knows Dior is completely innocent and if court agrees he should be allowed to play.

Reactions: pittjas
Believe the decision has essentially already been made that Dior is back if his felony charge is dropped. If that were not the situation one would expect him to be already be gone and not still listed on the roster on the official site.

Our guards are awful. Elliott can shoot, Burton has a decent midrange, and none of them can defend.

Our guards are awful. Elliott can shoot, Burton has a decent midrange, and none of them can defend.
I hate to say but I think we just need to go zone and deal with it. Our foot speed across all positions is a critical weakness. But we have size now, and a few guys who are good rebounders, hopefully we could pull off rebounding OK out of a zone.

I hate to say but I think we just need to go zone and deal with it. Our foot speed across all positions is a critical weakness. But we have size now, and a few guys who are good rebounders, hopefully we could pull off rebounding OK out of a zone.
They also just process so slowly
There is no want to with this team on defense
Guess it left town with Femi

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT