ADVERTISEMENT

Aliquippa adds new recruit

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Quips not going to mess around in 5A. Their 2024 recruiting class is loaded. If anyone's asking: Undefeated champs in 5A. Not sure any game will even be all that close.

Now that they are a 5A team players will be even more attracted to the competitive level, winning and culture the Quips offer.

Yea, jackass, because putting up 40 players vs 90 is fair.
Harrisburg High has been doing that for awhile now in 6A. They've had around 30-35 kids. High end talent always trumps depth.

Steel Valley with 18-19 kids mercy ruled Southern Columbia and their 60 man roster.

Reactions: pittdan77
Are you sure of that?

I know for a while before all this new transfer rule stuff, they were 1A by size but chose to play 2A for better competition.
Aliquippa's enrollment number for football for the 2024 and 2025 seasons is 156 (male students in grades 9-11) which is AA in size (AA numbers for the next 2 seasons = 144-216) ...... so Aliquippa is indeed playing up 3 classes as their base class is now AA not A at least for the next 2 years.

Are you sure of that?

I know for a while before all this new transfer rule stuff, they were 1A by size but chose to play 2A for better competition.

Aliquippa's enrollment number for football for the 2024 and 2025 seasons is 156 (male students in grades 9-11) which is AA in size (AA numbers for the next 2 seasons = 144-216) ...... so Aliquippa is indeed playing up 3 classes as their base class is now AA not A at least for the next 2 years.
^ what he said

I have to admire their moxie. I mean they just told the PIAA, if you want us to play up because of transfers, then we are going to go out and truly recruit transfers.

I like it. The other transfers they had were Aliquippa kids from transient families who move from apartment to apartment. Now, they are just saying eff it, we are full out recruiting for real.

Reactions: 303vND and Drax1975
So they are probably about the smallest 2a school in the state by enrollment numbers. I see where the other poster thought they were 1a. They are just over the minimum to be 2a.

Tell that to the other teams in north Allegheny’s conference.
Isn’t that on the other 6a schools in NA’s conference? If you are 6a and can’t get 70+ on a roster, then how you run your program is the problem. All those schools have 600+ boys in grades 10-12.

Isn’t that on the other 6a schools in NA’s conference? If you are 6a and can’t get 70+ on a roster, then how you run your program is the problem. All those schools have 600+ boys in grades 10-12.
The fact is that NA has 400 boys in their high school more than other teams in their conference not named Seneca Valley.

Let. That. Sync. In.

400 boys separate 5A schools from what? Aliquippa? Or random single A schools? Imagine if upper St Clair had a bunch of south side beavers in their conference…

In the years NA doesn’t win, it’s an epic fail. They are supposed to win.

Last edited:
Roster #'s are great for sure but talent trumps it almost every time. If Roster #'s were the main factor in success, West Point would be a top 10 team. Everyone in the mid-penn would trade a bunch of that depth to have some of Harrisburg's talent.

So they are probably about the smallest 2a school in the state by enrollment numbers. I see where the other poster thought they were 1a. They are just over the minimum to be 2a.

FWIW, they actually aren't the smallest 2A in the WPIAL. Western Beaver, New Brighton and Freedom are all 2As with fewer boys, and Apollo Ridge has the same number.

Across the state (if I didn't miss any) there are 13 smaller 2A schools than Alliquippa, and three with the exact same number of boys.

FWIW, they actually aren't the smallest 2A in the WPIAL. Western Beaver, New Brighton and Freedom are all 2As with fewer boys, and Apollo Ridge has the same number.

Across the state (if I didn't miss any) there are 13 smaller 2A schools than Alliquippa, and three with the exact same number of boys.
Thanks for doing the research. They definitely are among the smallest 2a schools in the state.

Thanks for doing the research. They definitely are among the smallest 2a schools in the state.
- Two posters were discussing whether Aliquippa has moved up 3 or 4 classifications and I answered that question .... it's 3 (2A to 5A).

- I also gave the enrollment figures for Aliquippa for football (156) in my post as well as the enrollment range for AA classification which is 144 to either 216 or 217 (not sure if 217 is AA or AAA) which shows, as you implied, that Aliquippa is indeed on the lower end of the enrollment range for AA.

- The big discrepancy is in the enrollment of Aliquippa and the teams in 5A that they have to compete against ...... South Fayette has the smallest 5A enrollment in the WPIAL at 428 which is 2.74 times the enrollment of Aliquippa and the largest 5A school in the WPIAL is North Hills at 586 which is 3.76 times that of Aliquippa ..... those are huge differences ...... I'm hoping that Aliquippa does well !

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray-Ray
Harrisburg High has been doing that for awhile now in 6A. They've had around 30-35 kids. High end talent always trumps depth.

Steel Valley with 18-19 kids mercy ruled Southern Columbia and their 60 man roster.
Eventually injuries catch up. I know those kids will battle vs anyone, anytime, but the roster disparity is ridiculous.
Fair? Address their administration with that.

They know the rules. It's pretty simple, don't take the transfers or you might have to play up.
Yea, tell low income families where and where they can’t move to.

All I’ll say is that the wpial and PIAA better tread lightly with this whole situation. If someone wanted to make a big story and to do about it the optics are quite frankly awful, and it’s even harder to justify when southern Columbia hasn’t moved despite having a magnet school and being notorious for holding kids back.

All I’ll say is that the wpial and PIAA better tread lightly with this whole situation. If someone wanted to make a big story and to do about it the optics are quite frankly awful, and it’s even harder to justify when southern Columbia hasn’t moved despite having a magnet school and being notorious for holding kids back.
Tread lightly? I think Lombardi is a chooch but at the end of the day, they aren't losing sleep about the Quips lawsuit. California, Illinois, and Georgia are 3 states that have similar competition formulas as we do. As a matter fact, Lombardi has borrowed most of his formula from other states.

What magnet school does Southern Columbia have? The PIAA has already addressed statewide reclass situation with having the athlete's clock start in 7th grade and not 9th.

The one that seemed kind of questionable is the kid going from North Hills to Aliquippa. That's not a move you see too often, unless maybe parents divorcing or something like that?

The fact is that NA has 400 boys in their high school more than other teams in their conference not named Seneca Valley.

Let. That. Sync. In.

400 boys separate 5A schools from what? Aliquippa? Or random single A schools? Imagine if upper St Clair had a bunch of south side beavers in their conference…

In the years NA doesn’t win, it’s an epic fail. They are supposed to win.

NA has an athletic budget and facilities that would put Thiel to shame.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yea, tell low income families where and where they can’t move to.

Nobody is telling low income families where to move. Heck of a straw man there.

I understand that some people might be dumb enough to believe it has nothing to do with football. I don't.

Reactions: brickfhouse
The funniest part about the Aliquippa thing is that there are several schools that have adopted the same strategy, albeit in other sports. There's a pretty open recruiting war between two schools out here in the middle of the state that everyone knows about. One school has already been busted but it hasn't stopped them.

I never considered that Southern Columbia was just older but it seems pretty likely that the boys dont start kindergarten until they are 6 turning 7 so that they are a year older than everyone for football. That would explain a lot. I watched them play Westinghouse and they looked like thosewhite PSU roided up linebackers that PSU had for years. Big, well-built kids. Not real athletic but you can tell they live in a weight room. I really don't think they get many transfers. Just seems like a Texas Friday Night Lights town and if your players are a year older than everyone and those kids eat, sleep, breathe football from the time they can walk then I can see them dominating 1A and 2A football like they do.

As for Aliquippa, I cant believe the national media hasnt picked up their story and played the race card. I dont believe PIAA made the rule with Aliquippa in mind but the rule does disproportionately affect lower income areas, which also happen to be black a high percentage of the time. CNN could run wild with this story if they wanted to and its surprising to me that they dont.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I never considered that Southern Columbia was just older but it seems pretty likely that the boys dont start kindergarten until they are 6 turning 7 so that they are a year older than everyone for football. That would explain a lot. I watched them play Westinghouse and they looked like thosewhite PSU roided up linebackers that PSU had for years. Big, well-built kids. Not real athletic but you can tell they live in a weight room. I really don't think they get many transfers. Just seems like a Texas Friday Night Lights town and if your players are a year older than everyone and those kids eat, sleep, breathe football from the time they can walk then I can see them dominating 1A and 2A football like they do.

As for Aliquippa, I cant believe the national media hasnt picked up their story and played the race card. I dont believe PIAA made the rule with Aliquippa in mind but the rule does disproportionately affect lower income areas, which also happen to be black a high percentage of the time. CNN could run wild with this story if they wanted to and its surprising to me that they dont.
Yep. Maybe not so much race but it certainly is a low income issue.

And it’s absurd Lincoln park up the road can openly recruit for basketball and not be impacted

One possibility for Southern Columbia is it is such a successful program that families with potential stud kids move there in 8th grade or sooner.

Yep. Maybe not so much race but it certainly is a low income issue.

And it’s absurd Lincoln park up the road can openly recruit for basketball and not be impacted
1 - Private schools can't accept HS transfers with impunity anymore.
2 - Lincoln Park plays up 3 classes in boys BB. Why aren't you crying for them?

The funniest part about the Aliquippa thing is that there are several schools that have adopted the same strategy, albeit in other sports. There's a pretty open recruiting war between two schools out here in the middle of the state that everyone knows about. One school has already been busted but it hasn't stopped them.
Is the sport wrestling? Is it one of the Catholic schools?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT