ADVERTISEMENT

Allen Greene new AD

Which circles back to the concerns we discussed in another thread. I don't know that this is so much about finding money from outside sources as it is cutting back.

Like you mentioned, if no new money or the donors, fans and alumn don’t step up giving, I think then this will turn to a cost cutting focus.

There was just an article on the yahoo sight from Ross Dillinger, with a quote from the Texas ad about how some schools that are already subsidizing sports in the millions are going to get another $20 m expense, and he wonders how many schools are just going to say “is this worth it?”

Pitt imo is in that boat

Reactions: Guyasuta Genac
C'mon, Moses was the Coach of the Year, like forever, then Joshua, it was like Johnny Majors followed by Jackie Sherrill
More impressive is that Moses’ playbook is still used today. He was heavy on the ground game and defense with all the thou shall nots. A little like Wannstedt.

Reactions: PittAU
Like you mentioned, if no new money or the donors, fans and alumn don’t step up giving, I think then this will turn to a cost cutting focus.

There was just an article on the yahoo sight from Ross Dillinger, with a quote from the Texas ad about how some schools that are already subsidizing sports in the millions are going to get another $20 m expense, and he wonders how many schools are just going to say “is this worth it?”

Pitt imo is in that boat
Pitt, and most of these schools, have the money. They have piles of money but only the most football focused are going to throw that money at sports. And I don't blame them. They're schools, not pro sports franchises.

I bet you they saved up to 80-85% by going digital. Keep sticking it to the fanbase that has been crapped on for almost 50 years.

Good move.

My family has been on campus for over 100 years. I don't need a lecture about how "great" Pitt has been dealing with season ticket holders, alumni and fans.

First off, they aren't categorized as "handling fees." They are categorized as "Application Fees" or "order charges", which are $15 per order of season tickets for football and men's basketball. "Delivery Fees" are now reduced to $0.00.

LOL, let me translate yourself for you:

"I'm been a fan for a while, so I am entitled to have fees waived that exist at every ticketing outlet in America. Also, the college branded merchandise I want costs more than I'd like and I've never looked at a price tag at another team store in America."

Last edited:
So the cost of running electronic ticketing for Pitt is $0? They built and maintain that electronic ticketing system themselves with a bunch of undergrad compsci volunteers. I must have missed when they fired everyone that worked in the ticket office and just put an open source AI in charge of the office and handling customer service.

What is the discount on their team stores that the Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins give out?

Have Pitt fans ever been to schools outside of Pittsburgh?
Actually, the Steelers are giving STHs 20% off in-store purchases at the Acrisure Pro Shop. One-time use though.

Pitt, and most of these schools, have the money. They have piles of money but only the most football focused are going to throw that money at sports. And I don't blame them. They're schools, not pro sports franchises.
Most schools, including Pitt, do not have piles of money sitting around. This notion is pure BS.

Because a very large entity also has large amounts of revenue, does not mean it has a bunch of unused money sitting around going unused. The institutions are very large and very complex, with many, many internal and external constituents continually lobbying for more resources for their particular discipline or cause. If you are a department chair in economics, then you are heckling your dean for more money for something undoubtedly worthwhile for your discipline. That dean in turn heckles the provost, who heckles the chancellor or board. What are you advocating for as an alumni? What are you saying, with your communications, or really, your donations, as far as what the priorities of the school should be?

Outside of fundraising, there is really only two ways new money can be freed up...by making cuts or raising tuition. And I think anyone can see where doing either is fraught with potential consequences.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Actually, the Steelers are giving STHs 20% off in-store purchases at the Acrisure Pro Shop. One-time use though.
And Pitt athletics gives a 15% discount on any Pitt affiliated store (Maggie and Stellas, The University Store, ShopPittPanthers.com and Team Stores at Acrisure Stadium and Petersen Events Center) used an unlimited number of times to anyone willing to give a minimum $50 donation to the Panther Club.

Reactions: ThePanthers
First off, they aren't categorized as "handling fees." They are categorized as "Application Fees" or "order charges", which are $15 per order of season tickets for football and men's basketball. "Delivery Fees" are now reduced to $0.00.

LOL, let me translate yourself for you:

"I'm been a fan for a while, so I am entitled to have fees waived that exist at every ticketing outlet in America. Also, the college branded merchandise I want costs more than I like and I've never looked at a price tag at another team store in America."
On the phone they called them "handling fees"

As for your translation, yeah, sure thing.

I forgot, Pitt has the most well-run athletics department in the country, and has been for over 50 years. We are impeccably run.

And Pitt athletics gives a 15% discount on any Pitt affiliated store (Maggie and Stellas, The University Store, ShopPittPanthers.com and Team Stores at Acrisure Stadium and Petersen Events Center) used an unlimited number of times to anyone willing to give a minimum $50 donation to the Panther Club.

I was going to say, I get a discount at Pitt stores with my panther club membership.

On the phone they called them "handling fees"

As for your translation, yeah, sure thing.

I forgot, Pitt has the most well-run athletics department in the country, and has been for over 50 years. We are impeccably run.

I don’t think he or anyone is saying they are impeccably run. What he is saying, or at least what I am saying is you’re going to find warts in any athletic department in America, it’s just not a Pitt thing. And then as we are talking about how cheap Pitt fans are with giving compared to our peers in similar situations, you come in and want money given to you in order to support. Obviously you don’t donate or you would have known that your panther club membership gives you a discount at Pitt stores.

not a lyke cheerleader but didnt she hire and increase the staff rsponsible for fundraising? Didnt she create a position for pat bostick to give HJs to wealthy alumni?

lets not forget, for decades prior to HL, our fundraising dept was one lady we poached from kaufmanns corporate office.
Napoleon Dynamite GIF by Ben L

I don’t think he or anyone is saying they are impeccably run. What he is saying, or at least what I am saying is you’re going to find warts in any athletic department in America, it’s just not a Pitt thing. And then as we are talking about how cheap Pitt fans are with giving compared to our peers in similar situations, you come in and want money given to you in order to support. Obviously you don’t donate or you would have known that your panther club membership gives you a discount at Pitt stores.
Right you are! Four club seats for football. Six basketball seats since years at Fitzgerald back into the 1970s.

We've been Golden Panther/Panther Club members since its inception and even had Heddleston steal some of our money.

Attend all away football games, 29 consecutive Big East Tournaments but, yeah, we don't donate a thing.

I'm done with this.

Pitt is the most awesome well-run athletic department in history. Just ask them.

When Greene took over at Auburn, Bruce Pearl was already the basketball coach. I am not a big MBB guy, but even i knew / read Pearl can be rather slippery.

Perhaps a little more than just slippery?

Point being, Greene knew what type of coach he was (is), and kept him around

FWIW

Hired Bryan Harsin, from Boise State, to be head coach at Auburn, an SEC school in the Deep South, and set Auburn football back for 10 years, but ok.....
Harsin was 69-19 at Boise.

Auburn is extremely dysfunctional. Kudos to Greene for having the balls to provide actual leadership with landing the Harsin hire instead of rubber stamp everything some monied boosters want and demand. Harsin never had a chance at Auburn. They were harassing him from all angles, internally/externally, investigating etc. The guy never had a chance.

I respect Greene for at least trying to fight boosters for a respectable hire instead of rubber stamping some booster anointed 60 year-old with career head coaching record of 9-37 overall and 1-31 in the Big 12. Because Kevin Steele is exactly who they pushed Malzahn out to hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT