ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coaches confirmed ...Capels

Seems decent to me. His brother can recruit the South. Not a great head coach but he got some decent players to Appalachian State from ACC country.

And O'Toole is considered a defensive guru and a respected, older veteran type. A weaker recruiter, but we don't need every coach to be a closer. He coached at Syracuse and Duke so I assume he's pretty damn familiar with some very differing styles of defenses. Also has east coast connections.

Reactions: VincePITT
At least O’Toole has some experience working with a struggling program after last years debacle at Cal with Wyking Jones. Not a very inspiring hire but obviously Capel is building is staff as he sees fit. O’Toole certainly brings a lot of East Coast experience with him.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
At least O’Toole has some experience working with a struggling program after last years debacle at Cal with Wyking Jones. Not a very inspiring hire but obviously Capel is building is staff as he sees fit. O’Toole certainly brings a lot of East Coast experience with him.

At first blush these guys are a little underwhelming. Let's hope they prove otherwise.

I don't think coaching with your brother is inevitably a bad thing. Mike and Dan D'Antoni had a nice run together remaking the NBA. Sean and Archie did well together.

Let's judge on the results. If he is a good enough recruiter that he would have gotten the job even with a different last name -- which I think is entirely possible -- then it's all good with me. He basically has recruited ACC country as a head coach and I think that's a solid qualification.

If the 3rd coach ends up being Brandin Kinght will people be happier with the staff Capel has assembled?
I don't think adding BK is a good idea for Capel. In my opinion, he needs to establish his own staff identity without having to worry about having a coach on his staff who has his own faction of supporters thinking he should be in a more deserving role.

Seems decent to me. His brother can recruit the South. Not a great head coach but he got some decent players to Appalachian State from ACC country.

And O'Toole is considered a defensive guru and a respected, older veteran type. A weaker recruiter, but we don't need every coach to be a closer. He coached at Syracuse and Duke so I assume he's pretty damn familiar with some very differing styles of defenses. Also has east coast connections.

Not to be confused with Andy Toole...hate when people call him O’Toole lol

Really hope the last assistant is one of Rice or Chillious. At this point, I don't want Knight. Tim O'Toole is already a weaker recruiter, but that's not a big deal given his experience and defensive acumen. Knight doesn't really have a clear niche and he's also on the weaker end of the recruiting spectrum. I have no problem with Jeff hiring Jason, working with family does not imply nepotism. Archie Miller was on Sean's staff at Arizona for a couple of years, was that nepotism too? If Jason is qualified, and he seems like a decent choice given his youth and head coaching experience, then that's all that matters.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
O'Toole has a reputation for developing big men. Capel works with guards.

I think Capel is confident in his own recruiting abilities enough that he's not looking for recruiting closers in most of his assistant coaching hires. This ain't football, where you need a class of 25 kids. Capel has time to establish relationships with, and close, on a small handful of elite recruits.

I guess one of the things I'm getting at is

I guess so. I'm just not a fan of hiring family to a job like this. Do you know of any examples of it and how it worked out?

The Hurley brothers coached together TWICE in fact...Wagner and Rhoad Island. The Millers also coached together. Kinda ironic that brothers coaching together would be questioned here, especially since both Hurley and Miller were being pleaded with to come here LOL. Oh, that's right, we wouldn't want them together here as brothers would we....HA!

Last edited:
I have no problem with these hires at this point in time. O'toole is coming from an
Associate Head Coaching position, and the younger Capel has been a head coach.
Obviously they understand the coaching position through experience. Trying to figure
out how well they can teach the game and how well they can recruit is kinda tough
right now, but I'll rely on head coach Capel's opinion regarding those points.
Both Capels played in the ACC, and are from ACC land. That definitely helps
O'toole originates from the NYC suburban area, has east coast ties, and has been
everywhere. Having two African American coaches on staff is not going to hurt either.
So far, I like what I see, but it's early...let's see who else is added and what our final
roster looks like,

I don't know what Knight adds at this point except a symbolic link to the past. We need the Real, not the Symbolic. Hoping the last hire has ties to Canada or the Midwest or someplace beyond our familiar challenging ACC territory but any good coach is welcome.

Last assistant likely won’t be Knight. Seems like he missed his window.

It shouldn't be Knight at this point either. It should be a young up and comer. Maybe someone with ties into the Balt / DC areas.

I have no problem with these hires at this point in time. O'toole is coming from an
Associate Head Coaching position, and the younger Capel has been a head coach.
Obviously they understand the coaching position through experience. Trying to figure
out how well they can teach the game and how well they can recruit is kinda tough
right now, but I'll rely on head coach Capel's opinion regarding those points.
Both Capels played in the ACC, and are from ACC land. That definitely helps
O'toole originates from the NYC suburban area, has east coast ties, and has been
everywhere. Having two African American coaches on staff is not going to hurt either.
So far, I like what I see, but it's early...let's see who else is added and what our final
roster looks like,
Not to pick the scab, but what would everybody be saying if Stallings had hired these assistants?

Last assistant likely won’t be Knight. Seems like he missed his window.

I have no inside knowledge, but my guess would be that he didn't see this offer
as any "window" he wanted or needed at this point in his career.
Not to pick the scab, but what would everybody be saying if Stallings had hired these assistants?

I can't speak for the "everybody" that you mentioned, but I would have had no trouble
had Stallings picked them. Given their coaching experiences, head coach and
the other being an associate head coach would have been ok with me.
Their backgrounds coming from the ACC and east coast would also have appealed
to me just the same, regardless if it were Stallings or Capel. But, I'm not "everybody"....LOL.

I know you guys are experts in basketball issues like the assembly of a coaching staff, the recruiting of players and the strategy of the x's and o's. But I think Jeff got this, sound like you guys got this handled and Jeff is just going through the motions

I know you guys are experts in basketball issues like the assembly of a coaching staff, the recruiting of players and the strategy of the x's and o's. But I think Jeff got this, sound like you guys got this handled and Jeff is just going through the motions

Speaking for myself, and not the other "guys" you mentioned...I like what I've
seen so far from Coach Capel.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Stallings had Dan Cage on his staff for crying out loud. Both of these guys have head coaching experience. O'Toole coached Fairfield for 8 seasons, was named MAAC coach of the year and had them within one game of an NCAAT appearance (something they'd only accomplished three times prior). Capel the younger has 4 seasons of head coaching experience. He wasn't successful, but did display an eye for talent (he identified Devonte' Graham before anyone else). I'll reserve final judgement until I see the last assistant, but so far it seems like you'd have to go back quite a ways to find a better staff.

One hasn't coached anywhere for some time - The other has been on the West Coast

Honestly - Was this what you expected?

It's been twice as long since Dino Gaudio coached anywhere, but everyone agrees that he was a slam dunk hire for Louisville. O'Toole has been on the West Coast for the last 4 years, but prior to that all of his coaching experience is on the East Coast. Is this what I expected? Yes and no. Yes, Jason Capel seemed like a realistic, perhaps even likely, possibility. No, I wouldn't have pegged Tim O'Toole as an assistant. If the final assistant is a higher profile recruiter, then I'm very happy with the staff.

I had no idea what to expect, but O'Toole's resume is better than anyone on Stallings staff and Jason Capel was at least a head coach in the conference region. Dan Cage was a frickin first time coach (never mind a leaker to the press.) I think Sam Ferry only had two hears of coaching experience.

I had no idea what to expect, but O'Toole's resume is better than anyone on Stallings staff and Jason Capel was at least a head coach in the conference region. Dan Cage was a frickin first time coach (never mind a leaker to the press.) I think Sam Ferry only had two hears of coaching experience.
Richardson (AHC - Former Head Coach) - Sutton (Asst G'Twon)- Ballard (Asst VCU- 1 yr removed)

O'Toole - Capel - ????

Last edited:
Trust The Process!

Capel has a process in motion!

He has an AD who support shim!

Trust The Process!

"It's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT