ADVERTISEMENT

At least 26 people murdered in Texas

Guess where 300k+ illegal guns come from yearly in the US, they are stolen from people with licenses.

Also for the last 30 years the majority of Americans have generally agreed that gun laws should be stricter, with less than 15% answering that they should be more lenient. Recent polls put it around 90% of people agreeing that there should be background checks and 70% say that all guns should be registered.

The US has drastically higher rates of gun death than any of the other 38 global advanced economies, we also have nearly half the world's civilian gun owners.
guns_country.jpg

States with the highest ratio of gun ownership also have the highest rates of gun deaths. Which sounds like common sense until you hear the inevitable arguments that more guns = more safety.
ownership-vs-deaths630.png

But I'm by no means an expert on it, and I certainly can't pretend to know what the best course of action is considering there are so many guns already in circulation. But just from my perspective, if I see someone drowning I'm not going to hand them a bucket of water to solve their problem.
As a gun owner, I can understand the security argument. My main concern is the easy availability of assault weapons.

I don’t have the statistics on hand, but I think that most of us would agree that these mass shootings occur only because the murderers have access to purchasing these weapons - the kind that should be possessed only by law enforcement and military personnel.

Reactions: bschulter
As a gun owner, I can understand the security argument. My main concern is the easy availability of assault weapons.

I don’t have the statistics on hand, but I think that most of us would agree that these mass shootings occur only because the murderers have access to purchasing these weapons - the kind that should be possessed only by law enforcement and military personnel.
Some of these mass shooting, yes, but most of the mass shootings involve multiple weapons including handguns, long rifles, and shotguns. Cases like VTech where he primarily used a 9mm, a nursing home shooting with 8 dead from a pistol and shotgun, that killing spree of minorities around Pittsburgh back in 2000 was a handgun, the killing of 9 people 2 years ago at a black church was committed with a handgun, etc.

new_guns_630_0228_0.png

The shootings with a dozen or more deaths that make the headlines generally involve Assault Rifles, but handguns are far more prevalent in cases with 4 or more victims. If you include those injured by shooters, not just killed, then the US averages a mass shooting involving at least 4 victims on a daily basis , with 1075 between 2012-2015, 383 and 2016, and 333 in the first 308 days of 2017.

One doesn’t even have to go to a gun show. In some places, the availability of a weapon is no further than at one’s local flea market.

Or the unlocked car of a responsible gun owner.

Possessing a gun doesn’t prevent you from being shot and killed. Guns are far more effective when being used as an offensive weapon than defensive.

Don't short sell the personal responsibility angle either. Guy gets drummed out of the AF so he goes on a rampage. We had one in Fla where guy shot up his old workplace b/c he was fired. These dopes needed to take their hardships like men and move on. Instead we get mass murder

Having said that, they likely don't carry out these crimes without access to high powered weapons

A relative of mine recently moved away from a small town outside of San Antonio after living there for three years. I was speaking with him today, and he said that the locals in the San Antonio area held the belief that they were invulnerable to such a horrific event because most of them carried firearms.

I wonder what those people are thinking today?
Depends on which locals you speak with.

If they couldn’t get meaningful gun control done after Sandy Hook, it will never get done.

And like the poster above, I say this as a long gun owner, but there is absolutely no way an ordinary citizen should be able to legally purchase assault rifles and high-capacity magazines. Background checks aren’t enough, no matter how comprehensive it may be.

Assault rifle is a misnomer!

It's a simple semi auto just like grand pa's duck hunting Browning shotgun, or Jane's starter .22 rifle.

To discharge a round you have to pull the trigger for each shot. They is a modification which makes the gun close to auto but it also jams the action around 60% of the time.

"AR's" are made to look military, they shoot a standard .223 or .308 round and can accomodate a high capacity detachable magazine.

Even simple off the rack .22's have 15 shot tubular mags and so do some 9mm handguns.

The people doing these terrible things are "sick" people. If they didn't have a gun they'd use explosives, cars, trucks, etc to kill people.

Mental illness is the issue not the guns, cars, trucks, explosives, or knives!

In the old days a mentally ill persons were institutionalized but this became non PC.

We know of a family who tried to have a family member hospitalized due to mental illness.The family member retained an attorney, sued the family, and won a defamation and other monetary awards. Families, friends, spouses are afraid to turn in other family members due to the fear of retaliation thru our legal system.

We live in Eastern PA 85 miles North of Philly and about the same distance West of NY City.
In our area 90% + of the households own guns, and the Sheriffs office put out a stat that 80%+ have a license to carry a firearm. Crime and violent crime is almost non existent in the immediate area except for visitors for surrounding states ( NY & NJ) who try to commit crimes and usually end up at room temperature. The local "thugs" know to stay away!

In our immediate area there are ten shooting ranges some indoor some outdoor in addition to two sporting clay ranges.

All ten are jammed for most of the day and some have 30 minute shooting slots to accomodate more shooters. All have NRA sponsored training programs for kids, men , & women including Hunter Safety Courses!

This is what its like for most of the country located between Manhattan, and Hollywood ! Millions and millions and millions of happy, and safe gun owners!

The shooters range from junior boys and girls, to couples, and single people of all races and political affilitation. Wednesday night pistol leauges for men, women, and couples are booked up at most ranges like bowling leauges in NJ or NY.

Even the most liberal people own and shoot guns in our area. Bernie Sanders Vermont is a perfect example of a place where gun toting liberals live and Bernie is a supporter of gun ownership!

Gun ownership is universal and huge!

There are some gun regulations that Mrs Buffett and I and our gun loving friends agree should be changed. But nothing will happen due to the distrust and divide between gun owners and gun control citizens.

The truth is the gun control people really want a gun ban not controls! So there'll never be a compromise or meeting of the mind on this issue!

Nothing will ever change when it comes to firearms in this country! Never ever!

Hopefully we begin to address the mental illness issue soon and things will improve!

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Do you realize how stupid it sounds to use the "logic" of more guns = less gun violence.

The more guns in the population, the more gun violence there will be. That is just basic elementary school common sense.
There is no where remotely in my post that I insinuated that, you need some reading comprehension.

Two thoughts immediately come to mind. The first is that the possibility that many people are “packing” didn’t appear to be a deterrent to a lone gunman on a mission.

The second thought is that the proliferation of guns in our society has gotten to be so bad that law-abiding people now have to start carrying firearms into their places of worship.

I haven't been to a church in a while, but every church I've ever stepped into features the congregation with their backs turned to the entrance, facing the priest/pastor. So in all likelihood, this guys shot most of his victims while their backs were turned. Being armed doesn't do you much good there. And of course, being armed didn't do much good in Las Vegas or Dallas; the shooters (surprise!) figured out to bypass that.

And of course, the gun lobby will be quick to tout the good guy with a gun line in response to the neighbor confronting the shooter outside the church after he heard shots. The irony is, the GOP is trying to pass a bill making it easier to buy silencers.

And speaking of morbid irony, when talking about how easy it is to acquire one....

He was dishonorably discharged from military, legally not allowed to carry gun. The laws were in place. So stricter gun laws didn't work, now what angle to push?

So, I guess we don't try stricter gun laws because of that. The expectation from stricter gun laws is not that you will stop EVERY gun crime from happening. It's that you will deter some gun crimes. Heck, if it just stopped yesterday's crime it would be a success in my eyes.

I wish people would take politics out of this and just be decent human beings and use common sense on what's best for humanity. We can't seem to do that any more though.

Two thoughts immediately come to mind. The first is that the possibility that many people are “packing” didn’t appear to be a deterrent to a lone gunman on a mission.

The second thought is that the proliferation of guns in our society has gotten to be so bad that law-abiding people now have to start carrying firearms into their places of worship.
Same as SMF, you are inferring a lot from my post. All I was pointing out is the very real possibility that many of the locals down there may have the complete opposite reaction as what you stated. I’m sure many reacted or feel as you stated, but the opposite is also very likely.

And I wasn’t making any pro/anti statement regarding guns or gun control whatsoever. I’ve never owned a gun or care to own one. Although I know many that do and are very passionate about their right to. I don’t have a problem with that. As with many things, our current society problems in this area can be improved with some sensible compromise but politics get in the way of that.

So, I guess we don't try stricter gun laws because of that. The expectation from stricter gun laws is not that you will stop EVERY gun crime from happening. It's that you will deter some gun crimes. Heck, if it just stopped yesterday's crime it would be a success in my eyes.

I wish people would take politics out of this and just be decent human beings and use common sense on what's best for humanity. We can't seem to do that any more though.
ok but in this case, their was a strict law in place, and the bad guy circumvented this. This was an enforcement issue, not a law issue. He should not have been allowed to purchase a gun, it was illegal. He did, someone screwed up. Whoever he purchased it from is in serious trouble and should be..

for the record, I'd be ok with stricter gun laws, it's not an all or nothing topic imo.

America's response to these tragedies: "pray for the victims." So very effective.

Yeah I am getting tired of this. Not to slam on religion, but I will.

HEY AMERICA, PRAYING IS NOT WORKING!!!

Perhaps maybe God is waiting for us to do something about it, instead of always relying on him to solve the boogeyman. How about we do nothing now to fight terrorism instead, we just "pray". Huh? Put that into the Republican doctrine. Hey, we are cutting the military budget by 67%! Big tax cuts for all! We are just going to "pray". Or North Korea, let's just "pray", eh?

He was dishonorably discharged from military, legally not allowed to carry gun. The laws were in place. So stricter gun laws didn't work, now what angle to push?

- gun insurance. You need it for your car. For-profit insurance companies will have every i dotted and every t crossed before insuring someone's gun.

- ban on military style semi-automatic assault rifles

Yeah I am getting tired of this. Not to slam on religion, but I will.

HEY AMERICA, PRAYING IS NOT WORKING!!!

Perhaps maybe God is waiting for us to do something about it, instead of always relying on him to solve the boogeyman. How about we do nothing now to fight terrorism instead, we just "pray". Huh? Put that into the Republican doctrine. Hey, we are cutting the military budget by 67%! Big tax cuts for all! We are just going to "pray". Or North Korea, let's just "pray", eh?
Gordie from Stand by Me tweeted this and is getting blasted. are you him? dude, in all seriousness, it's a nice thing to say. "thoughts and prayers" just like saying after the weekly muslim killings that "we aren't going to change our lives, we wont let them win" It's just what you say. No one says it is the cure all, no religious person believes that my man JC will descend from the heavens and catch the bullets in the air. no one believes that if you put the france flag in your avatar after mohammed jabbar ali drives a van thru a crowded market or the flag of England after mohammed jr goes to a little girl's music concert, that this will truly help the locals, you just do it to be nice..

Take it easy God hater..

Last edited:
Gun control isnt the answer. If they took away every gun in America today, by the weekend someone would buy one on the black market or someone with access to a Makerbot would just make one. Stop reporting these in the news and instead report stories of how to recognize and help people with these types of thoughts/problems. Most mass murderers are paranoid, resentful and looking for revenge against certain people. They long for the success, power, fame, acceptance they've never attained in "their minds" -- whether shootings, or pressure cooker bombs, or poisoning food, it's their way of getting even, gaining the "respect" they crave ....and by reporting these events and giving them SO much attention, the media gives these killers the notoriety they crave, throwing gas on future "sparks".

Let me ask you this? Gun Control isn't the answer? We implement 27,000 different regulations to try and stop terrorists, specifically muslim terrorists, yet if they are on the "no fly" list, they still can buy a gun. How is that logical??

So, let's chuck the military, thank you for your service fellas, sell the assets for profit, lower taxes, reduce the deficit and just to fight terrorism, we can have well known Republicans and clergy tweet out about god, and prayer. That we need more prayer. What you do you think? I can see an ISIS attack on some crowded street where the terrorist says "whoa, they are praying, I can't do this!!"

Because that is the Republican party's answer to these shootings. Just pray. So why not do this for terrorism?

Let me ask you this? Gun Control isn't the answer? We implement 27,000 different regulations to try and stop terrorists, specifically muslim terrorists, yet if they are on the "no fly" list, they still can buy a gun. How is that logical??

So, let's chuck the military, thank you for your service fellas, sell the assets for profit, lower taxes, reduce the deficit and just to fight terrorism, we can have well known Republicans and clergy tweet out about god, and prayer. That we need more prayer. What you do you think? I can see an ISIS attack on some crowded street where the terrorist says "whoa, they are praying, I can't do this!!"

Because that is the Republican party's answer to these shootings. Just pray. So why not do this for terrorism?
they cant buy a gun, someone broke the law. enforcement failed. this is same as beer distributor owner selling a case of beer to a high school kid, multiplied by a million..

I say this as a gun owner — we tolerate a truly astounding amount of bloodletting over what amounts to little more than a hobby.
Not to mention how many morons let little kids get their hands on their hobby toys and shoot each other.

Reactions: kerrycap

So do alot of gun owners, avid shooters and collectors but politics is exactly the issue.

IMO beginning about 9 years ago the political divide has become so huge people can't agree to work together on everyday simple things let along big topics like gun control.

Mrs Buffett and I dumped a large NY investment bank which managed our investment portfolio because we keep getting liberal advisors who couldn't stop talking about politics, gun control, global warming etc so we dumped them for a more conservative investment firm.

Same with a local restaurant / bar which changed owners we now go elsewhere.

Gun control advocates dont want gun control they want a gun ban. It starts with a gun registry which they've been insisting on, gun confiscation, and a gun ban in the USA. This topic continues to surface time and time again as gun control debates take place.

Another example ( there are many) is gun control advocates calling guns assault rifles. There's nothing assault about them except the black paint job, the scary stock and barrell. The AR is a simple semi auto rifle that wont discharge a round until you pull the trigger. Its the same as a basic .22 that kids learn to shoot with. But the gun control people keep misrepresenting the gun which creates mistrust between gun advocates and the gun control people. This list goes on and on!

Gun owners of all political views have dug in and gun control people are dug in so nothing will change until as you mentioned the honest truth is put on the table for a reasonable discussion. IMO this will never happen!

As gun owners and people who have a license to carry Mrs Buffett and I would support:

Background checks for all sales even private long gun sales. In PA a gun owner can sell a long gun to another PA resident with no background check

We might even consider limiting high capacity mags to 30 rounds

But society has to wake up and begin to address and institutionalize the mentally ill like what was done in the past.

Its not the gun, bomb, knife, truck, or car its the crazy person using those objects thats the problem!

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Gordie from Stand by Me tweeted this and is getting blasted. are you him? dude, in all seriousness, it's a nice thing to say. "thoughts and prayers" just like saying after the weekly muslim killings that "we aren't going to change our lives, we wont let them win" It's just what you say. No one says it is the cure all, no religious person believes that my man JC will descend from the heavens and catch the bullets in the air. no one believes that if you put the france flag in your avatar after mohammed jabbar ali drives a van thru a crowded market or the flag of England after mohammed jr goes to a little girl's music concert, that this will truly help the locals, you just do it to be nice..

Take it easy God hater..

No, it is frustration that the Republicans refuse to acknowledge and even discuss solutions. I don't care what side of the ledger you feel yourself on, the "prayers" stuff is becoming pretty god damn disingenuous if you aren't willing to even discuss a solution. Swerve, these NRA lackeys can't even come to compromise that people on a "No Fly" list should not allowed to purchase guns? There is absolutely no logic. If you can't see this? I was always Republican, I can no longer support this Idiocracy they have created, scaring middle America and the under educated with these boogeymen so they can rape and pillage us.

are repubs relying on prayer as the only course of action? mental health is a huge issue, work on this. Over prescription of pills is a huge issue, rectify this. our military has a huge rate of mental illness and suicides, fix this. it's not rocket science, we know the problems, we don't have the answers or resources to fix the root cause..

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Take it easy God hater..

Oh and who is "Gordie from stand by me"?

they cant buy a gun, someone broke the law. enforcement failed. this is same as beer distributor owner selling a case of beer to a high school kid, multiplied by a million..

He could absolutely buy a gun at a gun show.

are repubs relying on prayer as the only course of action? mental health is a huge issue, work on this. Over prescription of pills is a huge issue, rectify this. our military has a huge rate of mental illness and suicides, fix this. it's not rocket science, we know the problems, we don't have the answers or resources to fix the root cause..

Well one fix is to not allow them access to weapons. Why is that so hard? Again, the R's don't even want to discuss this. I am certainly not saying ban guns. I am saying we got a problem and there needs to be some better solutions put into place.

If they took away every gun in America today, by the weekend someone would buy one on the black market .

Really? So can you give me the address of this black market? Or their website? It wouldn't be as easy as you make it out. It wouldn't be like walking to Walmart anymore, not everyone would go to the trouble of finding this back market.

Well one fix is to not allow them access to weapons. Why is that so hard? Again, the R's don't even want to discuss this. I am certainly not saying ban guns. I am saying we got a problem and there needs to be some better solutions put into place.
by the law, they don't (or shouldn't) have access to guns. what else do you want to do? I cant do drugs, I cant snort coke (BS law by the way) so you make it illegal. You want the cops to sweep the streets and rid the country of any illegal drug? Impossible, same with guns. You make the laws, hire people to enforce them, and that's it.

unless you want the govt to come into your house and confiscate all weapons. That sounds a lot like what you are proposing. Careful what you wish for, that's a dangerous slope..

So maybe that means that that law is too easy to break and we need tougher laws.

One of the things that is disturbing to me is that most of these mass shooters have non-black market guns. I would almost feel better if these guys were getting them from the black market. There's no deterrent. I'd much rather have the conversation of "how do we prevent black market gun sales" than "how can we have tougher gun regulations" because it would assume that laws have toughened to the point that sick people need to go to the black market.

I mean its really very simple. We need only look to Europe and Canada. Stricter gun laws will equal less gun deaths.

Sorry, the context of that and this was so far apart, didn't connect.
the actor that played him, tweeted something in response to a republican politician saying something to the effect of, prayers don't work, since they were in church and were killed. kind of harsh and don't really get the point of the tweet, similar to your post. A liberal using this to push an agenda, go figure. we all do this, both sides so what else is new..

Sorry, the context of that and this was so far apart, didn't connect.
the actor that played him, tweeted something in response to a republican politician saying something to the effect of, prayers don't work, since they were in church and were killed. kind of harsh and don't really get the point of the tweet, similar to your post. A liberal using this to push an agenda, go figure. we all do this, both sides so what else is new..

What is the point of the Republican politician’s tweet, other than making sure he had a quote out there, that it pandered to his constituents, and did the bare minimum necessary to clear his conscience while not actually inconveniencing himself in any way?

But isn't that also a conservative pushing an agenda when they just tweet about prayers and this is not a gun issue?

But isn't that also a conservative pushing an agenda when they just tweet about prayers and this is not a gun issue?
yep, both sides do it, no argument there. everyone uses this crap to their advantage. right, left, libs, cons, atheists, jesus freaks, we all do.

yep, both sides do it, no argument there. everyone uses this crap to their advantage. right, left, libs, cons, atheists, jesus freaks, we all do.

But on some things, we do we always have to have political sides? Why can't it be "right" and "wrong" and not "right" and "left". I don't get this. There doesn't always have to be two sides.

The reason gun owners R's & D's dont want to discuss " anything guns" is because the liberal D's in government want a gun registry and a gun ban.

All of their suggestions in the gun control debate is a smoke screen for a lead up to a ban.

Gun owners are heavily represented on both sides of the aisle R's and D's.On legislative side the country is divided between R's and D's.

Some easy fixes are to deal with the mental illness issue in this country but thats in a political stalemate since the D's wont move on this issue!

But on some things, we do we always have to have political sides? Why can't it be "right" and "wrong" and not "right" and "left". I don't get this. There doesn't always have to be two sides.
we all agree this is bad. we disagree on how to fix it. that falls in line with political views. no one is saying this was good. we all have the same goal, peace. we disagree on how to get there.

The reason gun owners R's & D's dont want to discuss " anything guns" is because the liberal D's in government want a gun registry and a gun ban.

All of their suggestions in the gun control debate is a smoke screen for a lead up to a ban.

Gun owners are heavily represented on both sides of the aisle R's and D's.On legislative side the country is divided between R's and D's.

Some easy fixes are to deal with the mental illness issue in this country but thats in a political stalemate since the D's wont move on this issue!

I understand this. And you tell them to go pound salt and sit in one corner, you tell the NRA to go pound salt and sit in another corner and you get together with the adults and try and come up with some sensible solutions.

I understand this. And you tell them to go pound salt and sit in one corner, you tell the NRA to go pound salt and sit in another corner and you get together with the adults and try and come up with some sensible solutions.
minimizing lobbyists and their influence in DC. Great idea, impossible task. Drain the swamp..

we all agree this is bad. we disagree on how to fix it. that falls in line with political views. no one is saying this was good. we all have the same goal, peace. we disagree on how to get there.

But again Swerve, R's (well enough of them) don't want to hear ANYTHING. Like I said, they can't even accept and acknowledge that people on the No Fly list should not be allowed to buy firearms. Think about that. That is not compromise or capitualization, that is common sense. We fear this guy enough we don't want him flying a plane, but by all means fellow, go buy a gun or five.

How can you defend this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT