ADVERTISEMENT

At least 26 people murdered in Texas

The worm is slowly turning. Social change comes slowly in the US, but public sentiment is turning against the gun nuts, and their silly arguments are being exposed for the shams they are.

The Supreme Court has ruled that it is perfectly legal to regulate gun ownership, all it requires is the political courage to do it.
The NRA has about 5 million fanatic members who dominate rural congressional districts, and can put a lot of Gun Lobby $$$ into the political arena. But there are a lot more sensible people who have no problem with trying to stem this violence through common sense restrictions.
Unfortunately it will take more slaughters before the moral courage kicks in, but that day is coming.

You're right, only a crazy person would go to the lengths.... Oh wait, nevermind
Still, if there are hundreds of them, a large % wouldn't go that far, and many wouldn't figure it out, and honestly , many wouldn't do it if it isn't as easy as walking into Walmart.

The recommended home self defense gun by law enforcement is a 12 gauge semi auto shotgun that we all use for duck hunting not the misnamed "AR" style rifle.

Why do people feel they need a weapon for home defense, unless you live on a street where the Bloods hang out at one end and the Crips are at the other. Seriously, how often does an unprovoked home invasion ever happen? In my life where I've lived, I don't remember anything like that happening around me. I had a co worker who suffered a home invasion, but it was because his drug addict son owed money. I never had a gun and never felt scared without one.

As far as the argument that a deranged person who is hell-bent on killing a lot of people will find the necessary tools to do so whether or not assault weapons and their modifications are banned, I say OK, maybe you're right--but why don't we ban them and find out? Why don;t we make the guns harder to get and see what happens? Because what we are doing right now isn't working, and a lot of innocent people are dying as a result. A background check isn't going to do anything to stop a disturbed individual with a clean record who finally hits his mental tipping point.

Exactly, if it's not as easy as going to the nearest Walmart, some people will decide not to bother.

Just curious, Any of you grow up in families where nobody had guns or even thought about guns, besides me?

People have a problem with them, because they are the types of guns that that that these people use to slaughter people with. When was the last time someone took out a couple dozen people out with a duck rifle?
When's the last time someone took out a duck with a rifle????

Lived my entire life without a single gun... I’ve worked in the city ... been out socially in city... played gigs at various times where I got home late ... in fact one time there was a bar fight that ended in a pistol whipping... still never carried a gun myself.... don’t understand nutty people who obsess over having so many guns and ammo...

It’s a hobby.... these people don’t work in law enforcement... they aren’t military... there’s no reason at all why their hobby can’t be better regulated... zero... none... it’s more difficult to get a beautician license for Pete’s sake... and there’s no reason for hobbists to be running around in full combat gear & body armor with fully automatic assault weapons...don’t give me 2nd amendment bullshit either... that got dreamt up when it took a full minute to fire and reload....it’s people who are obsessed with violence.... period

Why do people feel they need a weapon for home defense, unless you live on a street where the Bloods hang out at one end and the Crips are at the other. Seriously, how often does an unprovoked home invasion ever happen? In my life where I've lived, I don't remember anything like that happening around me. I had a co worker who suffered a home invasion, but it was because his drug addict son owed money. I never had a gun and never felt scared without one.
I don’t mean to frighten you, but having worked with felons whose livelihood depended on burglary, I learned a great deal about this. While the odds of you being a victim are (probably) relatively low, they are higher than one would think.

Druggies need their daily fix(es), and those drugs cost money...a LOT of money. Most of them don’t make enough money working at legitimate jobs, so they supplement their incomes via criminal activity. If they think that your house is a “soft” target, you’re more likely to be victimized.

Personally, I have a home security system (which includes signs and window stickers). While it doesn’t guarantee with 100% certainty that I won’t be victimized, it might just steer a desperate criminal away from my house and toward somewhere else that’s not so protected.

And no, we’re not without firearms — for that worst case scenario.

Lived my entire life without a single gun... I’ve worked in the city ... been out socially in city... played gigs at various times where I got home late ... in fact one time there was a bar fight that ended in a pistol whipping... still never carried a gun myself.... don’t understand nutty people who obsess over having so many guns and ammo...

It’s a hobby.... these people don’t work in law enforcement... they aren’t military... there’s no reason at all why their hobby can’t be better regulated... zero... none... it’s more difficult to get a beautician license for Pete’s sake... and there’s no reason for hobbists to be running around in full combat gear & body armor with fully automatic assault weapons...don’t give me 2nd amendment bullshit either... that got dreamt up when it took a full minute to fire and reload....it’s people who are obsessed with violence.... period
HOLD UP!!! Didn't a beautician do Trump's hair?? Traficant's?? Both criminal acts.

Reactions: DruidTM
Trump beautician wanted on international inhumanity to animal crimes for shaving the asses of several orangutan to create “wigs”....

Let's get something straight, the law is not nearly as straightforward as you make it out to be. The 2nd Amendment currently means what it means because of 1 person. A single vote in the SC is why was have this current interpretation. Had a Republican controlled congress not blocked Obama's nomination, something not done since the Civil War and something that Scalia himself would have found unconstitutional, or had Clinton won the presidency the Supreme Court may very well have overturned their previous ruling.

The 2nd Amendment, and the Constitution itself, is not nearly as black and white or written in stone as you try and make it appear. It was a single vote away from giving us a drastically different interpretation.

Sorry, but it is that black and white. The amendment says what it says, and this has been upheld in court rulings several times. Again, whether you agree with the premise or not isn't the issue. The amendment and subsequent rulings have already happened. You have to deal with the situation as it exists.

Sorry but the 2nd Amendment argument isn't bullshit. This issue has already been decided in various court rulings. They type of regulations you want aren't going to be able to be enforced. All it would take is one person suing in court, and your regulations get overturned.

By the way, there ARE regulations on guns already. For example, you said:

"there’s no reason for hobbists to be running around in full combat gear & body armor with fully automatic assault weapons"

Well guess what, fully automatic weapons are illegal for private citizens to own. The military and law enforcement are the only ones permitted to have fully automatic weapons.

Yep. I fire guns when the opportunity arises, I get it. Its a blast.

But, this whole song and dance about the second amendment and all the other BS is to justify collectibles and toys, and to be the mindless drones to the NRA, and all other never ending de evolution of rational thought driven by conservatism.

Never owned, much less carried guns. Can't fathom being so in fear that would be something that people feel compeled to do, except as you say law enforcement or judges, people who work directly with criminals.

Depends on where you live. I can maybe see it if you live in an area where there is high drug use, but a gun only does so much, and anyone who really wants to target you or your house will work around it, wait until you aren't around, wait until you are tied up somehow, like in the shower or asleep.

A gun does you no good if you are going out to get the mail and it is inside and someone jumps you. Basically, if the binkie is going to really do you any good it has to be on your at all times.

Much better to get a dog or two (and they actually love you more than people love their guns), generally increase your awareness. The investment in martial arts would go a lot further, you will have your confidence, skills you learn there on you at all times ...

I don’t mean to frighten you, but having worked with felons whose livelihood depended on burglary, I learned a great deal about this. While the odds of you being a victim are (probably) relatively low, they are higher than one would think.

Druggies need their daily fix(es), and those drugs cost money...a LOT of money. Most of them don’t make enough money working at legitimate jobs, so they supplement their incomes via criminal activity. If they think that your house is a “soft” target, you’re more likely to be victimized.

Personally, I have a home security system (which includes signs and window stickers). While it doesn’t guarantee with 100% certainty that I won’t be victimized, it might just steer a desperate criminal away from my house and toward somewhere else that’s not so protected.

Don't worry, I'm not frightened, I feel nothing, just like I did before I read your post. Nothing will change for me. I have no security system either, I do have the ADT sign outside from the previous owner, but not going to pay $50/month for the service, lived here for 5 years and glad I didn't pay, nothing I own is worth $50 X 60. So still no fear.

Just the way some talk, it sounds like it's really universal for a lot of people. Like some people are shocked that I don't have a gun! And shocked that I go into Baltimore City at night unarmed, I do, I don't have a gun, never really been scared.

William Gibson tweet: The elephant in the center of the room: white fantasies of shooting minority home invaders.

Sorry, but it is that black and white. The amendment says what it says, and this has been upheld in court rulings several times. Again, whether you agree with the premise or not isn't the issue. The amendment and subsequent rulings have already happened. You have to deal with the situation as it exists.

Sorry but the 2nd Amendment argument isn't bullshit. This issue has already been decided in various court rulings. They type of regulations you want aren't going to be able to be enforced. All it would take is one person suing in court, and your regulations get overturned.

By the way, there ARE regulations on guns already. For example, you said:

"there’s no reason for hobbists to be running around in full combat gear & body armor with fully automatic assault weapons"

Well guess what, fully automatic weapons are illegal for private citizens to own. The military and law enforcement are the only ones permitted to have fully automatic weapons.

Ok. Extend it to semi automatics. Like I said, Pistols, rifles and shotguns. Limited magazine and reload. Hunting and self defense. Anything that can shoot more than 6-8 rounds without reloading is overkill and not needed.

Again, absolutists (NRA and some Cons) take the most extreme examples to defend things, but when the 2nd amendment was written, all they had was flintlocks or whatever those rifles were called.

Constitutional law is about interpretations and those can change at any given time. Whether that is due to changing moralities, political biases of the court, or the justices' individual school of judicial interpretation. It is very rare, but it happens.

There's the famous example of Brown vs. Board of Education which overturned a ruling allowing segregated schools.

There's Mapp v Ohio that changed the way evidence can be collected under 4th Amendment protections, which overturned previous SC rulings.

Just a few years ago the SC overruled a previous SC ruling and declared state anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional.

99% of the time the court let's previous rulings stand or even refuse to hear cases pertaining to previous rulings, but that doesn't mean there aren't dozens of cases where they reinterpret the constitution. That's precisely their job description.

Dirty Harry says it all right here.

Now what did he say? He has a .44 magnum that can blow his head "clean off". What else did he say? Lost in the confusion you are asking yourself did he fire 6 shots or 5? Not 60 shots or 59? Understand my point??

Ok. Extend it to semi automatics. Like I said, Pistols, rifles and shotguns. Limited magazine and reload. Hunting and self defense. Anything that can shoot more than 6-8 rounds without reloading is overkill and not needed.

Again, absolutists (NRA and some Cons) take the most extreme examples to defend things, but when the 2nd amendment was written, all they had was flintlocks or whatever those rifles were called.

You can't extend it to semi automatics. Virtually all modern guns are semi automatics. You also can't limit it hunting/self defense. Magazines are limited to some extent, but your idea of only 6-8 rounds simply won't hold up in court.

Constitutional law is about interpretations and those can change at any given time. Whether that is due to changing moralities, political biases of the court, or the justices' individual school of judicial interpretation. It is very rare, but it happens.

There's the famous example of Brown vs. Board of Education which overturned a ruling allowing segregated schools.

There's Mapp v Ohio that changed the way evidence can be collected under 4th Amendment protections, which overturned previous SC rulings.

Just a few years ago the SC overruled a previous SC ruling and declared state anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional.

99% of the time the court let's previous rulings stand or even refuse to hear cases pertaining to previous rulings, but that doesn't mean there aren't dozens of cases where they reinterpret the constitution. That's precisely their job description.

No, that's not the job of the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court cannot reinterpret the Constitution. The only way the Constitution can be changed is by a vote of 3/4 of the Congress and the State Legislatures. The Supreme Court can only interpret laws within the Constitution. The Supreme Court cannot change the Constitution itself.

That said, even under your framework, you admitted that 99% of the time rulings won't be overturned. Either way, it proves my point. You simply aren't going to be able to affect the changes you desire without an amendment to the constitution. Again, I'm dealing with the real world situation. You aren't.

A ruling on an issue being overturned doesn't change the Constitution. It only relates to the issue before them. Is there any thing in the constitution about sodomy?? I don't think so.

You can't extend it to semi automatics. Virtually all modern guns are semi automatics. You also can't limit it hunting/self defense. Magazines are limited to some extent, but your idea of only 6-8 rounds simply won't hold up in court.

No, that's not the job of the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court cannot reinterpret the Constitution. The only way the Constitution can be changed is by a vote of 3/4 of the Congress and the State Legislatures. The Supreme Court can only interpret laws within the Constitution. The Supreme Court cannot change the Constitution itself.

That said, even under your framework, you admitted that 99% of the time rulings won't be overturned. Either way, it proves my point. You simply aren't going to be able to affect the changes you desire without an amendment to the constitution. Again, I'm dealing with the real world situation. You aren't.
Ooops...I hadn't seen your post before I replied to that nonsense. Nice summary.

2nd amendment arguments are bullshit when they are twisted in what NRA fights for... semi automatic? Fully automatic? What the $&)@ difference does it really make when someone decides to use bump stocks and unload on a congregation of unsuspecting people at a church or concert??? The difference is negligible and you damn well know it

Exploding bullets ...body armor piercing bullets... plastic handguns... silencers... all bullshit no law abiding citizens need ... ALL argued as 2nd amendment by NRA

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I'm not so sure the Supreme Court would overturn limits on magazine size. It hasn't been tested. The one major ruling they had on an individual right to gun ownership under the 2nd amendment, the Washington DC case, was such a stringent law that we don't know what they'd say about other limits.

They didn't overturn the assault weapons ban, or the Brady bill, or the 1968 gun control acts, or the 1986 (near) ban on fully automatic weapons, or the ban on guns that can get by airport screeners. They've generally allowed federal and state and even municipal governments to regulate guns as long as they don't go as far as the near outright ban Washington DC tried.

I know there are some more conservative justices now but there is also plenty of precedent -- and Roberts also has a tendency towards compromise.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

True, this is poorly written for future Americans, but it says "Militia"...

Anyways, time to amend this. It needs clarified. Think a hundred years from now??? Imagine the weapons that may exist 300 years from now.

As someone said, no matter your guns, you think you are going against the US Army??

Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Anyways, time to amend this. It needs clarified. Think a hundred years from now??? Imagine the weapons that may exist 300 years from now.

As someone said, no matter your guns, you think you are going against the US Army??

Doesn't matter how it is written, it still is subject to the conservative take on all things constitutional - if they think something is important it is solemnly protected by it, if they don't like something it means $hit.

The Second Amendment is sacred!!!

How dare you try to regulate it!!!

It’s amazing how mental illness doesn’t kill mass quantities of people in Canada.. Australia...UK .... like it happens here....

You are your own first responder, if you fail to accept that, then you have outsourced your safety to a stranger who will likely show up in about 5 minutes after the 911 call Five minutes is a very long time when someone is trying to kill you.
Even the most ardent of anti gun wack-jobs don't really want guns to go away, they want guns to only be held by duly appointed members of the government security and law enforcement agencies. Having all of the guns in the hands of the government has been historically shown to have very bad results for people who are not in power at that moment. Ironically the military and the police tend to be the strongest supporters of the 2nd amendment.

Second Amendment:

Having recently fought a revolution to overthrow British Rule where members of the state militias were not issued guns (ie., militia men brought their own guns from home to the revolution). So, the amendment in context of the time was expressing the view that citizens should be allowed to have guns in order to defend themselves against a government they believed to be oppressive and thus gain and/or retain their independence. It clearly did not intend to restrict guns to government issued guns to members of the militia (e.g., analogous to today's National Guard members). Given this, the proper way to correct this problem--if it really is guns themselves and not the prohibition of sale or possession of them by individuals who are dangerous to themselves and others--is to amend the constitution.

2nd amendment arguments are bullshit when they are twisted in what NRA fights for... semi automatic? Fully automatic? What the $&)@ difference does it really make when someone decides to use bump stocks and unload on a congregation of unsuspecting people at a church or concert??? The difference is negligible and you damn well know it

Exploding bullets ...body armor piercing bullets... plastic handguns... silencers... all bullshit no law abiding citizens need ... ALL argued as 2nd amendment by NRA

Semi-automatic vs. fully automatic makes a big difference, because if you ban semi-automatic weapons, you essentially have a universal gun ban. Again, that wouldn't stand up in court.

There are restrictions on silencers and armor piercing bullets (although "armor piercing" is a somewhat nebulous term. Most any bullet can be armor piercing, depending on how it's fired.)

I'm not so sure the Supreme Court would overturn limits on magazine size. It hasn't been tested. The one major ruling they had on an individual right to gun ownership under the 2nd amendment, the Washington DC case, was such a stringent law that we don't know what they'd say about other limits.

They didn't overturn the assault weapons ban, or the Brady bill, or the 1968 gun control acts, or the 1986 (near) ban on fully automatic weapons, or the ban on guns that can get by airport screeners. They've generally allowed federal and state and even municipal governments to regulate guns as long as they don't go as far as the near outright ban Washington DC tried.

I know there are some more conservative justices now but there is also plenty of precedent -- and Roberts also has a tendency towards compromise.

They wouldn't necessarily overturn a ban in and of itself, but if you tried to make it as narrow as 6-8 rounds, as suggested, they would.

Wow, ok, this is my last post on the subject because clearly you aren't understanding this. Every ruling of the Supreme Court is based on the interpretation of an amendment.

The Supreme Court's job is literally interpreting the Constitution. Go and read an actual SC decision. They break down the words and phrases actually stated in the amendments to give their interpretation of what the amendments state and what the meant at the time they were written. The 2008 decision spends 3,000 words defining "bear arms." Here are excerpts.

5 justices voting for the opinion
"It is therefore entirely sensible that the Second Amendment’s prefatory clause announces the purpose for which the right was codified: to prevent elimination of the militia. The prefatory clause does not suggest that preserving the militia was the only reason Americans valued the ancient right; most undoubtedly thought it even more important for self-defense and hunting."

"Thus, we do not read the Second Amendment to protect the right of citizens to carry arms for any sort of confrontation, just as we do not read the First Amendment to protect the right of citizens to speak for any purpose. Before turning to limitations upon the individual right, however, we must determine whether the prefatory clause of the Second Amendment comports with our interpretation of the operative clause."

4 Justices dissenting
"The stand-alone phrase “bear arms” most naturally conveys a military meaning unless the addition of a qualifying phrase signals that a different meaning is intended. When, as in this case, there is no such qualifier, the most natural meaning is the military one; and, in the absence of any qualifier, it is all the more appropriate to look to the preamble to confirm the natural meaning of the text."

"When each word in the text is given full effect, the Amendment is most naturally read to secure to the people a right to use and possess arms in conjunction with service in a well-regulated militia. So far as appears, no more than that was contemplated by its drafters or is encompassed within its terms. Even if the meaning of the text were genuinely susceptible to more than one interpretation, the burden would remain on those advocating a departure from the purpose identified in the preamble and from settled law to come forward with persuasive new arguments or evidence."

That is the justices literally disagreeing over interpretations of the actual text in the Constitution. That 2nd quote I listed from the majority is especially important because it shows that they have interpreted limitations on the amendment that are not directly stated in the amendment. They later define the limitations to include
"weapons that were not specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity."
So right there, in the opinion the SC states that civilian ownership of weapons used by the military and employed by the military are not protected under the 2nd Amendment. That is why automatic weapon bans were not overturned from this decision, because 5 Justices interpreted the word "arms" to be defined as non-military weapons.

They also allow for restrictions on firearms in sensitive places like schools, hospitals, government buildings, etc. They also allow for restrictions on felons and those with psychological problems. It also allows for a ban on dangerous and unusual weapons, but does not give a definition for those weapons.

My point is that it is not cut and dry at all, there is still a ton of room for interpretation of the Amendment as well as interpretation of the SC decision. So cases involving magazine size, fire rates, accessories, stock types, gun registration, etc. can all be challenged without the Supreme Court overruling its previous judgement.

Want a "real world" application of this? There have been multiple challenges to state laws restricting the sale of assault style weapons and magazines greater than 10 rounds. These laws have been upheld by multiple Federal Appeals Courts using the "arms" definitions provided by the SC decision, with petitions to be heard by the SC. The SC has declined to hear these cases every time, allowing the laws to remain in place.

Wow, ok, this is my last post on the subject because clearly you aren't understanding this. Every ruling of the Supreme Court is based on the interpretation of an amendment.

The Supreme Court's job is literally interpreting the Constitution. Go and read an actual SC decision. They break down the words and phrases actually stated in the amendments to give their interpretation of what the amendments state and what the meant at the time they were written. The 2008 decision spends 3,000 words defining "bear arms." Here are excerpts.

5 justices voting for the opinion

4 Justices dissenting

That is the justices literally disagreeing over interpretations of the actual text in the Constitution. That 2nd quote I listed from the majority is especially important because it shows that they have interpreted limitations on the amendment that are not directly stated in the amendment. They later define the limitations to include So right there, in the opinion the SC states that civilian ownership of weapons used by the military and employed by the military are not protected under the 2nd Amendment. That is why automatic weapon bans were not overturned from this decision, because 5 Justices interpreted the word "arms" to be defined as non-military weapons.

They also allow for restrictions on firearms in sensitive places like schools, hospitals, government buildings, etc. They also allow for restrictions on felons and those with psychological problems. It also allows for a ban on dangerous and unusual weapons, but does not give a definition for those weapons.

My point is that it is not cut and dry at all, there is still a ton of room for interpretation of the Amendment as well as interpretation of the SC decision. So cases involving magazine size, fire rates, accessories, stock types, gun registration, etc. can all be challenged without the Supreme Court overruling its previous judgement.

Want a "real world" application of this? There have been multiple challenges to state laws restricting the sale of assault style weapons and magazines greater than 10 rounds. These laws have been upheld by multiple Federal Appeals Courts using the "arms" definitions provided by the SC decision, with petitions to be heard by the SC. The SC has declined to hear these cases every time, allowing the laws to remain in place.

No, I perfectly understand it. You don't. You have said that the Supreme Court interprets law within the Constitution. That's all they can do. They can't invent something out of wholecloth that's not in the Constitution. For example, the Supreme Court can't rule that individuals don't have a right to own firearms, because it explicitly says so in the Constitution. Similarly, the court can't rule that citizens don't have the right to vote, again because it explicitly says so in the Constitution. You can put regulations on firearms, just as you can put regulations on voting, but you can't outright ban it.

The issue is, some regulations are going to get too close to that threshold. For example, in the Heller case of 2008, the Supreme Court also ruled that it was unconstitutional to require trigger locks, or that firearms be stored unloaded. That's because such laws made the firearm virtually unusable. When you start getting to that point, you are essentially doing an end run around the 2nd Amendment, which is why the Supreme Court overruled the law.

I bring that up to get to your question, what "real world" application? Well, just on this thread alone, you have posters calling for bans on semi-automatic weapons. That wouldn't hold up in court. That's because such a ban would essentially ban most firearms. It would be too restrictive, similarly to the trigger lock issue in the Heller case.

This is the point I'm getting at. Due to the 2nd Amendment, there is only so far you are going to be able to go in regulating ownership of guns. We are pretty much pushing up on that point now. There may be a few more things you can do, but nothing that would effectively stop most of these shootings. You presented some statistics earlier about gun violence in other developed nations. The thing you leave out is that most of these other countries don't have explicit rights to own firearms as we do. As a consequence, those other countries can go farther in their restrictions on who can own, purchase, or operate firearms. Their governments can pass more stringent laws than we can. The real solution is to amend the Constitution, to change the 2nd Amendment. Anything else is just nibbling around the edges.

This was a domestic dispute. Jesus. Why then bring others into it?
Better ask Trump in Japan. He said it was a mental health issue last night.

Only recently has it been hypothesized as a domestic violence incident.

The mental health angle has been played in this thread, and is the NRA fallback position. You know, guns don't kill people, crazy people kill people. (With guns of course.)

Doesn't matter how it is written, it still is subject to the conservative take on all things constitutional - if they think something is important it is solemnly protected by it, if they don't like something it means $hit.

The Second Amendment is sacred!!!

How dare you try to regulate it!!!
Ironically that’s the very same crowd that has its tighty-whities in a bunch about a handful of NFL players exercising their First Amendment right to free speech and peaceful protest. They hate that part of the constitution.

Ironically that’s the very same crowd that has its tighty-whities in a bunch about a handful of NFL players exercising their First Amendment right to free speech and peaceful protest. They hate that part of the constitution.

The 1st Amendment isn't an issue in the NFL protests. The 1st Amendment deals with government restriction on speech. That's not happening with the NFL protests.

This is one of the reasons these issues end up in such heated arguments. Some people don't understand how the law actually works. They just make up in their minds how they want it to work, and argue from that basis.

The 1st Amendment isn't an issue in the NFL protests. The 1st Amendment deals with government restriction on speech. That's not happening with the NFL protests.

This is one of the reasons these issues end up in such heated arguments. Some people don't understand how the law actually works. They just make up in their minds how they want it to work, and argue from that basis.
Since you “went there”, do you think a private sector employer can legally discipline an African-American employee for a brief silent protest of police mistreatment of African-Americans once a week?

That’s called discrimination. The constitution isn’t real keen on that, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT