ADVERTISEMENT

B1G, SEC to receive three auto bids under proposed 14-team CFP expansion

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
ACC, Big 12 would have two auto bids; remaining bids would be filled by G5 (1) and at-larges (3). Would begin starting the 2026-27 season.

The ACC and Big 12 should jump all over this. TV will do everything they can to get as many Fat 10 and SEC teams otherwise.
It’s not like that shouldn’t be the case anyway.

Do the ACC or Big 12 have a single legit Top 10 team this year between them?

Why not just go to 16 instead of this half measure? It's inevitable that it'll be 16. And, unless it's a complete breakaway by the SEC/B1G, I actually think 24 is coming. It would probably settle there and be like NCAAT hoops but in football. Lotta lesser leagues get slots, big leagues get a ton of at large.

Reactions: Pitt79
I am 68 and just hope I live long enough to see the SEC kick Vanderbilt out if the conference. Of course smarter people would tell me that there won’t be conferences in name in a few years. It will just be considered a league for the elites

Don't know yet. That's why you are supposed to play the games.

Sure. But recent history is an indicator of future success.
How many teams should the ACC have had in a 14 team playoff last year? How about the year before that. The year before that. The year before that. The year before that. Etc.

Bill Connelly was on a podcast this week talking about his preseason SP+ projections. Not a single team from the ACC or Big 12 were in the Top 10.

The SEC should have a lot of playoffs spots because the SEC *should* have a lot of playoff spots.

The more teams just makes it easier for the top programs to win in the end. The best will get a bye. Yes a 12-16 may win a game, but the likelihood in football of repeat upsets is slim. See Tcu vs Michigan and then TCU vs Georgia.

Yeah, this would be a pretty good deal for the ACC. Anyone who tries convincing themselves that this conference is on par with the BIG (I assume at least not many people are delusional enough to say it's in the same stratosphere as the SEC) is fooling his or herself.

That said, I think 14 is too many and I don't like the auto bids in general. It's really going to kill the significance of some regular season games.

I am 68 and just hope I live long enough to see the SEC kick Vanderbilt out if the conference. Of course smarter people would tell me that there won’t be conferences in name in a few years. It will just be considered a league for the elites
What do you have against Vanderbilt?

Its crazy good access. And the ACC will sign it yesterday.
But the Pirates have access too...

Terrible proposal. College football needs to involve and treat ALL of the teams at the FBS D-I level equally or it will continue to self-destruct. Of course the Big 10 and SEC would love a system where they are guaranteed almost half of the available playoff spots, who wouldn't?
A proposal like this one does absolutely nothing to improve the sport of college football.

4 bids going to the ACC and B12 is crazy good for those teams. I'd sign up for this. Stupid-ass FSU might even see an easier path. But I doubt that.
It's about money though. I mean the Pac 12 was easier path for all of those teams who left for the Big 10 right? The Big 12 was an easier path for Texas and Oklahoma. No one has moved for an "easier or even better shot to a national title" in these last few iterations. It is strictly money.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Terrible proposal. College football needs to involve and treat ALL of the teams at the FBS D-I level equally or it will continue to self-destruct. Of course the Big 10 and SEC would love a system where they are guaranteed almost half of the available playoff spots, who wouldn't?
A proposal like this one does absolutely nothing to improve the sport of college football.
Just go to a 24-team tournament like the FCS and you could give every conference champ an auto bid and still have 14 bids to hand out to the rich guys as welfare and get some of those SEC 4th place teams some love :)

The reality is, teams #9-14 will be cannon fodder for TV, anyhow.
That's ok, who cares? It gives teams something to play for from August to December, who cares if they have a realistic chance or not. It's like when the Patriot League championship game in basketball ends, they all act like they won the Super Bowl and all they won was a 16th seed. It's fun.

The proposal on ND being discussed is that it will qualify for a playoff bid if it finishes in the top 14 ranking by the Committee.
The problem for them is seeding if they make the playoff. Their path is going to be extremely difficult.

Sure. But recent history is an indicator of future success.
How many teams should the ACC have had in a 14 team playoff last year? How about the year before that. The year before that. The year before that. The year before that. Etc.

Bill Connelly was on a podcast this week talking about his preseason SP+ projections. Not a single team from the ACC or Big 12 were in the Top 10.

The SEC should have a lot of playoffs spots because the SEC *should* have a lot of playoff spots.

Just earn them then. And someone listed out what the playoff participates would have been if this 14 team was in place since the implementation fo the playoff, and there was a period of like 5 years in a row where the ACC would have had at least 3 teams in.

But if the SEC/BIG were so big and bad, why say they need the auto spots?

It's about money though. I mean the Pac 12 was easier path for all of those teams who left for the Big 10 right? The Big 12 was an easier path for Texas and Oklahoma. No one has moved for an "easier or even better shot to a national title" in these last few iterations. It is strictly money.

100%.

Just earn them then. And someone listed out what the playoff participates would have been if this 14 team was in place since the implementation fo the playoff, and there was a period of like 5 years in a row where the ACC would have had at least 3 teams in.

But if the SEC/BIG were so big and bad, why say they need the auto spots?

I don’t understand what earns them means?
If you got rid of all automatic bids, do you think there would be more or less SEC teams in a 14 team playoff?

Let me see the 5 years in a row.

If you got rid of all automatic bids, do you think there would be more or less SEC teams in a 14 team playoff?

get rid of all auto bids and just let the top 14 ranked teams get the bids. you'd probably have at least 3 big 10 teams, 3 or 4 SEC Teams anyways..

honestly, i doubt the ACC and Big 12 get two teams in by "earning" it so that's why i think this proposal is good for both of these conferences..

I have nothing against Vanderbilt. I actually root for them as I have a cousin who has a degree from vandy. They will get kicked out by their own conference members some day because of greed

get rid of all auto bids and just let the top 14 ranked teams get the bids. you'd probably have at least 3 big 10 teams, 3 or 4 SEC Teams anyways..

honestly, i doubt the ACC and Big 12 get two teams in by "earning" it so that's why i think this proposal is good for both of these conferences..

Yep. In an open market, the SEC would dominate the playoffs. Look at every F+ ranking during the playoff years. The SEC owns the top 10 power ranked teams.

The automatic bids is good for the ACC and Big 12 precisely because the teams don’t have to earn it.

The highest ranked 2023 ACC team in F+ power rankings was FSU at 13. Granted FSU probably took a hit due to what happened in the Orange Bowl. But how high could they possibly have been before that?

There’s not another ACC team until 23.

In 2022 it was FSU at 14. Clemson 16. It’s borderline if even one of them should get invited.

In 2021 the highest ranked ACC team was Clemson at 18. Then Pitt at 19.

In 2020 it was Clemson at 3, and then UNC at 21.

There just aren’t a lot of objectively good ACC teams in any year that should be playoff teams.

And as he playoff invites expand, you’re going to see the committee put a lot more work into teams 5 to 12/14, where today they don’t really expect to justify 1 to 4.
You’re probably going to see analytic models come into play, like in college basketball committee invites.

Only thing I disagree with is going to a 14 team, no auto-bid set up.

I think 1 automatic bid for the top 3 conferences is needed. Otherwise you diminish the importance of all conference games, and really diminish the importance of the conference championships. And college football needs something about the regular season to matter.

If you want all SEC and B1G every time, just separate it out and they can have a separate playoff that I won't watch.

Reactions: ThePanthers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT