ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball v NC A&T DH 4-30

Lead off double in bottom of the 8th and then nothing.

This will be a BAD series loss if they don't pull it out.

The NC A&T loss will keep them out of the NCAAT. I feel like losses to MEAC teams has cost this team several NCAA Tournaments in the last 10 years or so.
A&T isn’t in the MEAC. They are in the Big South and will be joining the CAA next season.

A&T isn’t in the MEAC. They are in the Big South and will be joining the CAA next season.

Correct, Big South.

They are so bad in the Big South that not only are they in last place, they are four full games behind the team (Radford) who is in next to last place.

If we hadn't won that second game today this weekend would have been a disaster. As it was, winning two out of three is merely bad. We were 37th in the live RPI shortly before the first game ended. After the split we are down to 56. Had we lost the second game it would have been something like 61.

It depends how they finish the year. GT and ND are ranked really high, so they can get a big boost if they win some games against them.
Those will also be situations where the RPI will go up win or lose, just like Miami. Especially @ ND. @WVU will also help them win or lose.

Reactions: ThePanthers
They will miss the NCAAT by 1 game. That's what I'm saying. Agree or disagree? That loss keeps them out

I'm saying that for you to post as a fact right now, weeks before the end of the season, that Pitt is going to miss out on the NCAA tournament by one game is, even by your standards, moronic.

North Carolina has also lost to NC A&T. Are they guaranteed to miss out on the NCAA tournament by one game as well? Wake Forest lost this past week to High Point, RPI 222. Are they out too? NC State got swept in a three game series by Northeastern, RPI 162 (I wonder what it would be if they didn't beat NC State three games in a row?). Are they out too? Arkansas is ranked in the top five this week. They lost to Illinois State, RPI 185. How much is that going to effect their tournament position? Tennessee is ranked number one in the country this week. They have a loss to Tennessee Tech on their resume. Southern Miss is in the top five this week. They have a loss to Jacksonville State on their resume. Notre Dame was in the top 20 this week. They have FIVE losses to teams with RPIs in the 100s. UConn is in the top 20 this week. They have losses to SIX teams with RPIs greater than 100, including number 200 Rhode Island, number 199 Kent State, and number 193 UC San Diego.

It's a bad loss. If you want to say that it's the kind of loss that can make a difference if you are on the bubble, yeah, sure, it certainly could. But to state as a fact right now that they are going to miss the tournament by one game and it's going to be this one is dumb.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Which is affecting Pitt’s tournament hopes more, their 9 Q1 wins (T14 overall, only Louisville and UCLA have more outside of the top 25) or their 5 Q4 losses (third most in the Top 64)?

Pitt dropped 13 spots this week playing a&t and losing one of them. Down to 54. NCAA tournament is a pipe dream unless them basically win out.

Pitt dropped 13 spots this week playing a&t and losing one of them. Down to 54. NCAA tournament is a pipe dream unless them basically win out.
I think this is hyperbole. The RPI will jump back up again with three more ACC series, a true road midweek against a WVU team that will bump the RPI up win or lose, and a neutral against Penn State. Hold serve (4-5 or 5-4) in the nine ACC games and I think they’ll settle back into a 35-40 RPI spot and a tournament bid.

2021 vs 2022 comparison where we did not make the playoffs:

Last year RPI ended at 52 we are currently 54. We have games where this can improve but we have a lot of Q3 and Q4 losses this year and not nearly the Q1 wins
RPITeamRecordSOSNCNCNCHRNQ1Q2Q3Q4
RecRPISOS
52Pittsburgh23-20306-24217211-109-83-217-121-72-13-0
ACC (16-17)
54Pittsburgh24-174514-712024610-49-85-59-101-05-29-5
ACC (10-10)

2021 vs 2022 comparison where we did not make the playoffs:

Last year RPI ended at 52 we are currently 54. We have games where this can improve but we have a lot of Q3 and Q4 losses this year and not nearly the Q1 wins
RPITeamRecordSOSNCNCNCHRNQ1Q2Q3Q4
RecRPISOS
52Pittsburgh23-20306-24217211-109-83-217-121-72-13-0
ACC (16-17)
54Pittsburgh24-174514-712024610-49-85-59-101-05-29-5
ACC (10-10)
That paints a rather grim picture. I’d have to think we’re firmly out at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT