ADVERTISEMENT

BballinsiderfromPitt says Capel is being fired if he doesn't make the NCAAT

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I thought this deserved its own post as it is, in all likelihood, the most ridiculous post in Pantherlair history. Capel is literally going to win ACC COY on Sunday and even with a loss, would be an excellent 14-6 in the ACC (and yea I know the league isnt very good). If we lose the 5/12 game or get a bye and lose to Duke and dont make the NCAAT, there is a 0.0% chance he gets fired. And I only say 0.0 because you can't do a negative percentage. Even if Lyke wanted to fire him, she couldn't due to the optics of firing the ACC COY who pioneered a remarkable turnaround.

I thought this deserved its own post as it is, in all likelihood, the most ridiculous post in Pantherlair history. Capel is literally going to win ACC COY on Sunday and even with a loss, would be an excellent 14-6 in the ACC (and yea I know the league isnt very good). If we lose the 5/12 game or get a bye and lose to Duke and dont make the NCAAT, there is a 0.0% chance he gets fired. And I only say 0.0 because you can't do a negative percentage. Even if Lyke wanted to fire him, she couldn't due to the optics of firing the ACC COY who pioneered a remarkable turnaround.
I'm still definitely not sold on Capel and I think next year will tell us all a lot but of course there is no way he will get fired. Even if Pitt loses out. None. 0% chance.

I'm still definitely not sold on Capel and I think next year will tell us all a lot but of course there is no way he will get fired. Even if Pitt loses out. None. 0% chance.

I mean, yea, I am not saying Capel is great or anything or we should extend his contact. We shouldn’t. But there's a 0.0% chance he's fired. Even if we miss the NCAAT, its been a really good season and he has Hinson, Fede, and the twins back plus maybe the best on-paper recruiting class (if we count Dior and he doesnt skip town) in 30 years. Zero point zero

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and NTOP
I have no insight to what the boosters want but…

What Pitt fan would want Capel fired now? His teams play hard, have an identity, has a good recruiting coming in, and has his team on the cusp of an ACC Championship. What more is expected out of your coach?

This didn’t deserve its own thread. Pitt will beat Miami and win the ACC crown and he will not be fired. I agree.

They also will not lose early in ACC tourney. Semis run coming. Last night was a blip.

Why are you so negative?
I agree it was a blip. Likely a Syracuse hangover coupled with first ranking in many years equals easy to think can cakewalk a 2-16 team, but they were decently picked for 6th place finish. FT shooting said it all. Not mentally focused. I expect a strong turn around Saturday. It will be tough. But think they cover. Has the same feel prior to the road UNC game. You know they really need the win and that it would be tough, but they pull it out.

I’ll be optimistic heading into the Miami FL game, am disappointed in their performance against ND given the opportunity in front of them, but am not going all out/sky is falling over-reaction.

But calling yesterday just a blip is under-selling things somewhat. Rather, I think our defensive performance in the last 4 or 5 games is troubling. Giving up 80+ points to ND and Cuse, and 78 to VTech a couple before that is not a good trend. Those really weren’t blips, our defense has been showing a lot of deficiencies in recent games.

This didn’t deserve its own thread. Pitt will beat Miami and win the ACC crown and he will not be fired. I agree.

They also will not lose early in ACC tourney. Semis run coming. Last night was a blip.

Why are you so negative?
Thanks SMF this deserved attention . Capel is COY : ballinsider is an idiot

Reactions: DocEdT77
You guys are so negative about Pitt. Hoops. COY. Winning ACC title on Saturday. At least semis run in tournament. These all are happening.
And to think that just a few months ago MOST lair posters thought we would finish well down in the lower half of the ACC standings. Now they are fretting because we may not finish first. In actuality Pitt has already FAR outpaced any reasonable expectation. Fans nee to take a chill pill and just enjoy.

I mean, yea, I am not saying Capel is great or anything or we should extend his contact. We shouldn’t. But there's a 0.0% chance he's fired. Even if we miss the NCAAT, its been a really good season and he has Hinson, Fede, and the twins back plus maybe the best on-paper recruiting class (if we count Dior and he doesnt skip town) in 30 years. Zero point zero
Are you dismissing Willard's academic wreckage??

I felt all he needed was a winning record. Either total season or just in conference. At best we all hoped to squeek into the NIT. He far exceeded that! Even if we don't make NCAAs (which I think we will) they will be a top seed in NIT when that actually matters these days again.

He has far exceeded expectations! There is no way he is being fired...NONE!

In fact I think he can establish a program her now that is similar to what Duzz has going on with our football program. High school and transfers now want to come here to be a part of the culture. Maybe NOT the best in game coach and we will lose head scratchers like last night. But if he gets the right kids they will buy in and play hard and win more often than not. Not saying we are there yet but I can see if happening if he keeps finding the right kids like he did this year. And he seems like a super nice guy so would love to see that happen and have too programs to be proud of even if they really never will be elite they will be suoer solid and reputable.

He’s also pulling a full SMf and including someone already on the roster and dismissing several classes that have been higher rated than this one.

Lets call it the 2023-24 freshman class then. Would you be happier with that? The Miller/Matthews/Porter/Shorter/Martin class brought to you by John Calipari was better on paper. The Cummings/Taylor/Cosby/Blount/Gill class was better on paper (but sucked in reality). Besides those 2, next year's freshman class is as good or better than any on paper.

Lets call it the 2023-24 freshman class then. Would you be happier with that? The Miller/Matthews/Porter/Shorter/Martin class brought to you by John Calipari was better on paper. The Cummings/Taylor/Cosby/Blount/Gill class was better on paper (but sucked in reality). Besides those 2, next year's freshman class is as good or better than any on paper.
The Shorter class was more than 30 years ago. And paper doesn't win games. Isaih Epps????

The Shorter class was more than 30 years ago. And paper doesn't win games. Isaih Epps????

But I'm saying that right now it looks good. You dont fire a coach who just won COY, was playing for the championship on the last day and returns key players + will have a good freshman class on paper.

In the world of college athletics, you never say never. The decision-making process isn't always rational. I don't see him being fired, regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he's coaching somewhere else next year.

It's going to be an interesting offseason. Capel, like any other coach, is probably going to want to cash in on this season. I think it's likely that he pushes for an extension. Otherwise, he would be coming back with only 3 years left on his contract - and once again, probably coaching for his job. If Pitt's not willing to extend him, I think he's going to shop himself around.

2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 all higher ranked, just off the top of my head. Wasn’t very hard to disprove SMF’s other fabrication

But I'm saying that right now it looks good. You dont fire a coach who just won COY, was playing for the championship on the last day and returns key players + will have a good freshman class on paper.
Obviously, firing JC is not in the cards. But we don't really know ANYTHING about how good the recruits are, who might move on, or who might be headed here from the portal. Will Dior stay? Hugley?? When 4 from a 7 man rotation are leaving, next year is a big unknown. But now I think we can look forward to the process without any fire Capel talk. (well, some will chirp up after any loss.. Just noise)

In the world of college athletics, you never say never. The decision-making process isn't always rational. I don't see him being fired, regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he's coaching somewhere else next year.

It's going to be an interesting offseason. Capel, like any other coach, is probably going to want to cash in on this season. I think it's likely that he pushes for an extension. Otherwise, he would be coming back with only 3 years left on his contract - and once again, probably coaching for his job. If Pitt's not willing to extend him, I think he's going to shop himself around.
And both parties would be in the right in that situation

Reactions: TD_6082

What Pitt fan would want Capel fired now? His teams play hard, have an identity, has a good recruiting coming in, and has his team on the cusp of an ACC Championship. What more is expected out of your coach?
Just to clear up a couple of your points.
1. "This" one particular team plays hard. I'm not so sure you can say that for any of his other Pitt teams.
2. "This" team has an identity. The past teams were a trainwreck of personal problems, and a lack of identity.

Just saying...it might be a little early to put his name on the court at the Pete. We have a lot more data points of the bad, versus a single year of good basketball.

If he walked away I wouldn’t be terribly upset. I’d be nervous about the replacement though.

Firing him though after this year, you’d lose the returning team and also have a hell of a time finding a replacement. You’d give the next coach no confidence if you fired him after a year like this.

One of the reasons we ended up with stallings is because everyone saw how Dixon was kind of encouraged out the door

The latter

My thoughts too. And if that is correct, that would also tell me that some monied boosters were probably already preparing themselves to stroke a check and send him on his way after this year. Once their mind is made up about that, it's very hard to fully win that support back. It's really almost fighting a losing battle.

He has earned the opportunity to prove that this year is the beginning of something good. He won't and shouldn't be fired. But as many have said, he shouldn't be extended either unless the can creatively give Pitt the option to let him go after next season and if they don't exercise that option, the extension kicks in.

Add Dior Johnson like I said and get back to me
So add someone to a recruiting class that may not even be here to this years’ recruiting class from last year’s recruiting class? That makes sense. Like I said, another stupid hypothetical where you are flat out wrong.

Me = Curly Neal

I don't see him being fired, regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if he's coaching somewhere else next year.

It's going to be an interesting offseason. Capel, like any other coach, is probably going to want to cash in on this season.
I do think that if the right job opens, he would leave. I think he'll look around. Most coaches do. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone paid us millions for him. But he won't be fired. No way.

So add someone to a recruiting class that may not even be here to this years’ recruiting class from last year’s recruiting class? That makes sense. Like I said, another stupid hypothetical where you are flat out wrong.

Me = Curly Neal

2023-24 Freshman Class

None of them are guarantees to be here.

Now add Dior, run it again and get back to me. If he leaves, I'll let you re-run it. For now, he is part of next season's freshman class which is very good on paper

2023-24 Freshman Class

None of them are guarantees to be here.

Now add Dior, run it again and get back to me. If he leaves, I'll let you re-run it. For now, he is part of next season's freshman class which is very good on paper
You were wrong. Easy to admit.

Me =Curly Neal. Dancing and dunking on you again

If he walked away I wouldn’t be terribly upset. I’d be nervous about the replacement though.

Firing him though after this year, you’d lose the returning team and also have a hell of a time finding a replacement. You’d give the next coach no confidence if you fired him after a year like this.

One of the reasons we ended up with stallings is because everyone saw how Dixon was kind of encouraged out the door
But we don't look like a dead program, now. The chicanery in 2016 made Pitt look really bad.....and the University leadership a failure. We're much better now, in many ways. Pitt can be a hoops power again.

I do think that if the right job opens, he would leave. I think he'll look around. Most coaches do. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone paid us millions for him. But he won't be fired. No way.

Nobody is going to pay millions for Capel. If Pitt doesn't extend him, he's probably going to be allowed, or even encouraged to look around.

You can't simultaneously open the door for someone to leave and be asking others to pay millions to take them off your hands.

No it’s isn’t. Wasn’t the Fields, Young, Biggs was more highly rated? I know they were. Unless I am mistaken and they weren’t all in the same class.

There's a big difference between those 2 classes and this year's incoming class. Those 2 classes actually played at Pitt while the incoming class or part of it may not even get here, given the clusterf$%k that college basketball is now.

Just to clear up a couple of your points.
1. "This" one particular team plays hard. I'm not so sure you can say that for any of his other Pitt teams.
2. "This" team has an identity. The past teams were a trainwreck of personal problems, and a lack of identity.

Just saying...it might be a little early to put his name on the court at the Pete. We have a lot more data points of the bad, versus a single year of good basketball.

^^^ This. Capel has had 1 good season. ONE. He has proven very little to this point, other than he isn't a very good gameday coach but he was able to put this team of mature, hard-working players together for this one good season. His coaching trend is poor. Let's see what he can do for the next 3 or 4 years before declaring him as a good coach or extending him.

SMF and Insider are probably the closest to needing psych counseling as any on this board. Insider is a compulsive liar and SMF is just nuts.
Lol wut?

Because I don’t think the twins combined averaging 5 PPG are gonna garner NIL deals im a liar. You have major issues bro. Hope you get the counseling you need

I still find that take to be the funniest and dumbest this site has ever produced

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT