ADVERTISEMENT

Best 80s Euro Bands

Personally, I’m a big fan of The Clash (although their greatest album technically came out in ‘79).

Last edited:
Reactions: BreakingPitt
Asia from Europe had some great tunes loved in North America...
According to 40 year old virgins.

th

Sports suck , soo...

Ill go with Duran Duran
they had 14 albums !

if the band Europe isn’t the best Euro band, then I don’t know what is.

But all kidding aside, most lists of the best bands of any era or decade would likely be majority Euro. Just my opinion. It’s the one and only thing they do better. Other than knowing how to create incredible atmospheres at sporting events.

if the band Europe isn’t the best Euro band, then I don’t know what is.

But all kidding aside, most lists of the best bands of any era or decade would likely be majority Euro. Just my opinion. It’s the one and only thing they do better. Other than knowing how to create incredible atmospheres at sporting events.

they do food much better. Americans think Red Lobster is fine dining

Reactions: BTisinDC and Pitt79
I mean I don't care what you think of them now.....but U2 became the biggest band in the world during the 80's and everything they put out then as the kids say now was "fire". So yeah. Best "Euro" bands in the 80's?? In no particular order.
U2
Police
the Smiths
Queen
The Cure
New Order/Joy Division

Any list starts with these.

I mean I don't care what you think of them now.....but U2 became the biggest band in the world during the 80's and everything they put out then as the kids say now was "fire". So yeah. Best "Euro" bands in the 80's?? In no particular order.
U2
Police
the Smiths
Queen
The Cure
New Order/Joy Division

That’s it! That’s the list! Although I wouldn’t include the Police, but that’s just me. I know how popular and influential there were.

Every time these threads pop up, I encourage everyone to go out and watch the 2017 documentary Dare to Be Different - WLIR: The Voice of a Generation. When every station in America was playing stairway to Heaven and freebird 40 times per day, WLIR changed formats and played the Frankie Goes to Hollywood single "Relax" just six days after its U.K. release, six months before the record company released it in the United States.[10] The station arranged with a record store in London to get same-day air delivery of new records (years before this was the norm) from Heathrow Airport; WLIR music director Rosie Pisani would drive the 12 miles (19 km) to nearby JFK on Thursday afternoons to pick up the records. Bands like U2, Duran Duran, The Cure, etc all credit WLIR for their careers. MTV got their playlists from what was a hit on WLIR.

WLIR's listeners could dial in to vote for the "Screamer of the Week", the top new song of the week. New Order, Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Yazoo and Blancmange were early staples of the new music format.[11] According to station head Dennis McNamara, the "entire music industry was looking upon 'LIR and that 'LIR marketplace of New York City and Long Island as one of the hippest music areas of the world. People used to refer to it as the gateway to America if you were an upcoming artist."[11]. MCNamara then founded WXXP in Pittsburgh as its sister station. The documentary used to be on Netflix but now is on other platforms and might cost a few bucks to rent. It’s well worth it.

That’s it! That’s the list! Although I wouldn’t include the Police, but that’s just me. I know how popular and influential there were.

Every time these threads pop up, I encourage everyone to go out and watch the 2017 documentary Dare to Be Different - WLIR: The Voice of a Generation. When every station in America was playing stairway to Heaven and freebird 40 times per day, WLIR changed formats and played the Frankie Goes to Hollywood single "Relax" just six days after its U.K. release, six months before the record company released it in the United States.[10] The station arranged with a record store in London to get same-day air delivery of new records (years before this was the norm) from Heathrow Airport; WLIR music director Rosie Pisani would drive the 12 miles (19 km) to nearby JFK on Thursday afternoons to pick up the records. Bands like U2, Duran Duran, The Cure, etc all credit WLIR for their careers. MTV got their playlists from what was a hit on WLIR.

WLIR's listeners could dial in to vote for the "Screamer of the Week", the top new song of the week. New Order, Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Yazoo and Blancmange were early staples of the new music format.[11] According to station head Dennis McNamara, the "entire music industry was looking upon 'LIR and that 'LIR marketplace of New York City and Long Island as one of the hippest music areas of the world. People used to refer to it as the gateway to America if you were an upcoming artist."[11]. MCNamara then founded WXXP in Pittsburgh as its sister station. The documentary used to be on Netflix but now is on other platforms and might cost a few bucks to rent. It’s well worth it.
And probably because the impact of MTV, Duran Duran should be included.

U2
Police
the Smiths
Queen
The Cure
New Order/Joy Division

I like the fact that the list here reflects what the OP meant: 80's Euro Band. As in the Euro New Wave era.

I lived in So Cal at the time... which had the industry's best radio station for New Wave: KROQ-FM, "The Rock of the 80's". The lead DJ was England's Richard Blade. At the time I lived there - the wind tunnel at Benedum Hall done me well and I got a job as an Aero Engineer with McDonnell-Douglas - I was a Bruce and John Couger and ZZ Top guy. Flash forward 30 years and my daughter as a teenager took a shine to The Cure. I started listening, and dug it bigly!! They're great.

I'll admit to really digging the Pysch Furs and for one hit wonder, nothing beats "Melt for You" by Modern English

I like the fact that the list here reflects what the OP meant: 80's Euro Band. As in the Euro New Wave era.

I lived in So Cal at the time... which had the industry's best radio station for New Wave: KROQ-FM, "The Rock of the 80's". The lead DJ was England's Richard Blade. At the time I lived there - the wind tunnel at Benedum Hall done me well and I got a job as an Aero Engineer with McDonnell-Douglas - I was a Bruce and John Couger and ZZ Top guy. Flash forward 30 years and my daughter as a teenager took a shine to The Cure. I started listening, and dug it bigly!! They're great.

I'll admit to really digging the Pysch Furs and for one hit wonder, nothing beats "Melt for You" by Modern English

Richard Blade lives on still at Sirius XM first wave!

U2
Police
the Smiths
Queen
The Cure
New Order/Joy Division

I know that Britain is certainly in Europe, but when I think of Euro bands, I think of bands from the mainland and not Britain. Basically, 95% of the responders to this thread could be best British bands of the 80’s.

U2
Police
the Smiths
Queen
The Cure
New Order/Joy Division

And by my mainland criteria, the list is

The Scorpions
Aha
Sugarcubes
Golden Earring
Nena

and for the hell of it … Falco.

Let’s give a belated “more 70s” mention to Kraftwerk and a dishonorable mention to Europe because their name fits the category.

The Scorpions
Aha
Sugarcubes
Golden Earring
Nena

Let’s give a belated “more 70s” mention to Kraftwerk and a dishonorable mention to Europe because their name fits the category.
Yeah really never thought of "the Continent vs the Isles" but yeah. I like your list.... It is pretty shocking how little Europe has produced as compare to the UK. You probably could add Sweden's Roxette to the list.

On that note, here's a shout out to an underrated 80's group from Scotland.

The Scorpions
Aha
Sugarcubes
Golden Earring
Nena

Rammstein started in 1989, so have to include them just because the band look like they're made of Legos.

Yeah really never thought of "the Continent vs the Isles" but yeah. I like your list.... It is pretty shocking how little Europe has produced as compare to the UK. You probably could add Sweden's Roxette to the list.

On that note, here's a shout out to an underrated 80's group from Scotland.
Love The Waterboys. And really loved World Party. A shame that Karl Wallinger passed away in March. RIP.

U2
Police
the Smiths
Queen
The Cure
New Order/Joy Division

While I don’t enjoy them nearly as much, I think the Clash has to be on your list…for pure influence to the industry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT