ADVERTISEMENT

The Buccos

This new guy they got hitting leadoff the last two nights might be pretty good.

He's not new! That's Andrew McCutchen. He's 37 years old. He used to play here, from 2009 - 2017 (we actually drafted him). Then he was with a few other teams before returning to Pittsburgh last season. Can't believe you've never heard of him. He used to be a pretty good ballplayer.

MLB is doomed to be the league of haves and have not due to media contract. The NFL got it right having a national media rights contract across the league. With this set up you can have a salary cap for all teams.

MLB is beholden to a few large market teams with their own media contracts that has destroyed any hope of financial balance in the league.
This is very true. It is in many ways just what we are seeing in college football. Individual leagues are negotiating their TV contracts. In baseball, it is teams.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
This is very true. It is in many ways just what we are seeing in college football. Individual leagues are negotiating their TV contracts. In baseball, it is teams.

For the most part, yes. But at least revenue sharing, draft order, and guaranteed money (large market teams get stuck with behemoth contracts) helps levels the playing field a tiny bit. College football is MLB on the Jose Canseco injection regimen.

Here’s a fun game to play before tonight’s game:

In my opinion, it has to be Clemente, Wagner, Stargell, and Kiner… right? Maybe Kiner with Paul Waner?

Not sure how long this will last, but got to at least give credit to Bailey Falter, and to the Bucs for working with him/sticking with him. He comically allowed the first 5 batters he faces this season to score...then has been Tom Glavine since. For some reason, starting LH pitchers do tend to bloom later. This is a 6'4" 27y/o lefty with decent stuff...he might turn into something. I don't mean something like an All-Star, just a capable back of rotation starter, than can go like 11-10 with 4.50 ERA for a few years...that gets you paid in the MLB.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Not sure how long this will last, but got to at least give credit to Bailey Falter, and to the Bucs for working with him/sticking with him. He comically allowed the first 5 batters he faces this season to score...then has been Tom Glavine since. For some reason, starting LH pitchers do tend to bloom later. This is a 6'4" 27y/o lefty with decent stuff...he might turn into something. I don't mean something like an All-Star, just a capable back of rotation starter, than can go like 11-10 with 4.50 ERA for a few years...that gets you paid in the MLB.
I’d have no problem with him turning into this era’s Francisco Liriano.

Reactions: CCHS82

In my opinion, it has to be Clemente, Wagner, Stargell, and Kiner… right? Maybe Kiner with Paul Waner?
Clearly Wagner and Clemente would go up there.

There is one book about the Pirates history that I read, I forget who wrote it, but if I recall correctly, he said the only two players on the Pirates that were the best player in all of baseball for a multi-year period were Wagner and Bonds. Clemente is a legend but he wasn't better than Willie Mays and even some other players of his generation.

ever hear of a guy named Honus Wagner? One of the five inducted into the first baseball hall of fame class (one of three Pirates who were first ballot inductees) ? He came to mind since I saw him on some old baseball card I had in a stack in my basement that I threw out the other day...

Last edited:

John Cangelosi, Mario Mendoza, Jimmy Anderson and Orestes Destrade. Or "OD" as I called him. Offensive Deficiency. You can convince me to replace him with Doug Frobel.

• Love
ever hear of a guy named Honus Wagner? One of the five inducted into the first baseball hall of fame class (one of three Pirates who were first ballot inductees) ? He came to mind since I saw him on some old baseball card I had in a stack in my basement that I threw out the other day...
He’s on my list. That’s awesome that you actually have a card of his- I’d hold onto that forever!

Clearly Wagner and Clemente would go up there.

There is one book about the Pirates history that I read, I forget who wrote it, but if I recall correctly, he said the only two players on the Pirates that were the best player in all of baseball for a multi-year period were Wagner and Bonds. Clemente is a legend but he wasn't better than Willie Mays and even some other players of his generation.
I was hesitant to include Bonds since he spent the majority of his career outside of Pittsburgh, but the argument can definitely be made for him.

The Pirates all time top four in WAR is Wagner (by a lot), Clemente, Paul Waner and Arky Vaughan. Stargell is 5th. If you are going to consider Kiner, who played 7-1/2 seasons for the Pirates, then you have to put Bonds, who played 7 seasons, on there ahead of him.

FWIW, Bonds is 7th on the Pirates' WAR list and Kiner is 9th.

You guys are showing your youth and ignorance. I once watched Pie Traynor hit a ball 520 feet and then tell the umpire to just call him out because he was tired and didn't feel like trotting around the bases. Said he'd just hit another one next time.

• Haha
You guys are showing your youth and ignorance. I once watched Pie Traynor hit a ball 520 feet and then tell the umpire to just call him out because he was tired and didn't feel like trotting around the bases. Said he'd just hit another one next time.
I once saw Glenn Wilson get thoroughly defeated by a balloon in the outfield. Never saw a grown man struggle so much to do anything.

I was thinking the same thing. I think they had an idea he would be a #1 or #2 starter in the rotation. I think it has become obvious that he is an average major league starter.
Yes. I was being a bit dramatic for fun, but if Keller is your #3 and Jones & Skenes turn out to be true top of the rotation guys, that is a start to a good rotation. And Keller's salaries are reasonable for a #3 pitcher on a 'real' MLB team....but they are way high for a Pirates #3.

Reactions: 303vND
I vomited when the Pirates signed Chapman. I am also a Texas Rangers fan and he was terrible down the stretch and into post -season last year. He is doing the same thing he did last year. He has a good fast ball if he can get it over the plate. That's it...

I vomited when the Pirates signed Chapman. I am also a Texas Rangers fan and he was terrible down the stretch and into post -season last year. He is doing the same thing he did last year. He has a good fast ball if he can get it over the plate. That's it...
I think he just needs to sacrifice a chicken to get his mojo back

I think he just needs to sacrifice a chicken to get his mojo back
Lol. In fairness to Chapman, the pitch that was hit out was a high fastball just off the outside corner at 102 mph and it was tailing away from the batter. He stayed back on it and didn't try to pull it and got the barrel of the bat on it. When the pitcher is throwing it 102, it doesn't take a whole lot to send it flying the other way. If anything, I'd like to see him keep that pitch down in the zone, instead of up. I was more upset at him for walking the batter that provided the winning margin.

The Pitching isn’t the problem. It’s hard to pitch for a team that refuses to have major league worthy hitting approach and you know you have to pitch a shutout to even have a chance at a win. Same ole Bucs!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT