ADVERTISEMENT

Best ending to a Movie.

I probably have about 25 John Ford movies. I am a huge Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart fan. "Young Mr. Lincoln" is a movie I make sure I watch at least once a year.

"My Darling Clementine" and "Fort Apache" are on that list too. If you get a chance....watch " The Informer" by Ford. 1935. Victor McLaglen won an Oscar for Best Actor and Ford won for best Director. You won't be disappointed.

I think I have seen every movie John Ford directed, including the “lesser” ones. The quality and quantity of them both are incredible.

In 1939, Ford not only directed “Young Mr. Lincoln,” but also “Stagecoach” and “Drums Along The Mohawk.” Three Academy-award nominated films in the same year.

In 1940, he did three more films, including the classic “The Grapes of Wrath.” In 1941, the Oscar winning “How Green Was My Valley.”

In a world where good directors now do one film every two or three years, he directed 5 classic, all-time great films in 3 years.

His ability to get superb performances out of actors, including some who were not necessarily great actors, was unmatched. You mentioned Victor McLaglan, who won the Oscar for “The Informer.” He also was terrific in Ford’s Western Trilogy (Fort Apache, Rio Grande and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon) and in Ford’s “The Quiet Man.” But, I would be hard-pressed to think of another good performance in his career.

It’s like when someone asked Peter Bogdanovich how does one become a great movie director. He replied “watch the movies of all of the great ones: John Ford, John Ford and John Ford.”

I think I have seen every movie John Ford directed, including the “lesser” ones. The quality and quantity of them both are incredible.

In 1939, Ford not only directed “Young Mr. Lincoln,” but also “Stagecoach” and “Drums Along The Mohawk.” Three Academy-award nominated films in the same year.

In 1940, he did three more films, including the classic “The Grapes of Wrath.” In 1941, the Oscar winning “How Green Was My Valley.”

In a world where good directors now do one film every two or three years, he directed 5 classic, all-time great films in 3 years.

His ability to get superb performances out of actors, including some who were not necessarily great actors, was unmatched. You mentioned Victor McLaglan, who won the Oscar for “The Informer.” He also was terrific in Ford’s Western Trilogy (Fort Apache, Rio Grande and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon) and in Ford’s “The Quiet Man.” But, I would be hard-pressed to think of another good performance in his career.

It’s like when someone asked Peter Bogdanovich how does one become a great movie director. He replied “watch the movies of all of the great ones: John Ford, John Ford and John Ford.”
Ford was the best spanning from the 30's through the early 60's. Great acting, directing, and cinematography is what makes all those movies classics and memorable watching. Ford seemed to get the best out of McLaglen. His best non Ford performance was probably in Gunga Din, but his Ford characters were so entertaining.

The Ford stock company of recurring actors were as you mentioned not necessarily great actors but he brought out their best in the roles they played. It is good to see somebody else that has the same admiration and satisfaction in enjoying the magnificence of John Ford films.

Ford was the best spanning from the 30's through the early 60's. Great acting, directing, and cinematography is what makes all those movies classics and memorable watching. Ford seemed to get the best out of McLaglen. His best non Ford performance was probably in Gunga Din, but his Ford characters were so entertaining.

The Ford stock company of recurring actors were as you mentioned not necessarily great actors but he brought out their best in the roles they played. It is good to see somebody else that has the same admiration and satisfaction in enjoying the magnificence of John Ford films.
Hank Worlin, Jphn Qualen and Harry Carrey Jr. Pleased!!

Reactions: ShipofFools
I guess I am a sucker for the symbolism then. LOL

I guess for me it is why that scene makes so much sense. He just went with an all or nothing solution against EVERYONE, and like he said, he "handled all family business today." There really is nothing else but to say to Kay "Don't ask me about my business" then agreeing to one time, then for the door closing scene. To me it is perfect considering what happened right before it.
I was thinking about the end of Godfather 3. (My least favorite movie of the series btw). When the assassin tries to kill Michael and instead kills his daughter that was brilliant. The only thing in life that really meant anything to him was taken. Steep price for a lifetime of misdeeds. As a parent, it really hit home.

Yeah, but we all know that could never happen.
I love how an nfl team a few weeks before the super bowl gets bought by a billionaire owner and then he wins the starting qb job in the game. How mad are u if u are the qb that got them there.

-Shutter island

-the REAL ending of I am legend. Not the one they went with in the movie.

Last edited:
i think im definitely in the minority but i liked "the Village" ending. as far as endings that some people liked but i hated, gonna have to go with "clue" and "vanilla sky."

A few others not mentioned.

The searchers, Inside Man, it’s a wonderful life, man who shot Liberty Valalance, Kelly’s Heroes

The searchers, Inside Man, it’s a wonderful life, man who shot Liberty Valalance, Kelly’s Heroes
“There’s nothing too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance”. Best closing line in any movie ever.

Reactions: Conemaugh

Huge fan of Stagecoach and The Grapes of Wrath especially. But you missed one.... "The man Who Shot Liberty Valence."

Yes! The Searchers. Another John Ford movie..... the end shows the door closing on John Wayne and shutting him out. So well done.

“There’s nothing too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance”. Best closing line in any movie ever.
I am trying to get my wife to watch this movie with me. I started it once and she said "oh hell no.... it's black and white!". I say it is "part of our American soul"...... and she says "maybe yours". I will will win her over eventually and she will like it. She will say something stupid like "Lee Marvin is hot" but in the end will appreciate the 90 minutes of good cinema.

I can't believe no one has said The Kenny Pickett Story. The scene of Kenny hitting Krull for the game winning TD against Alabama in the 2022 national title game is one of my favorite endings ever.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT