ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten canceled because of.....

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
$$$$$

Democrat governors in PA, NJ, MI, WI, MN, and IL would not allow fans. Republican governors in OH and MD have taken COVID seriously and would not have allowed many, if any fans. Notice the 2 teams who voted to have a season: Iowa and Nebraska. Their R governors would have allowed nearly full stadiums.

Basically, the other 12 teams had my exact line of thinking and what I've said all along. If you play in the fall, you guarantee yourself a season with no fans and no ticket revenue. You also may have no fans and no ticket revenue in the spring but you have a CHANCE of having nearly full stadiums if there is a vaccine or medical breakthrough by then.

Reactions: bdur76
The spring season is fool's gold. Maybe a spring game. It's less politics, IMO, and more about the student/athletes' lawsuits from long term effects of covid19.

If fed's don't give blanket protection from these infections it will be a lawyers paradise to go after deep pocket institutions and businesses.

What is just crazy to me is these teams are still practicing with nothing to play for. We will be reading and analyzing these decisions for the next decade.

$$$$
Isn't it always?
Still surprised more rural schools haven't pushed back (at least publicly) democratic governors or not.
Also think anything close to a real spring season a longshot.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Correct me if I am wrong, but the bigger issues is lost revenue at the gate. So in order for college football to make money, I would assume you need fans to be able to attend. And i doubt many schools will be able to have fans this fall.

That is why I thought the purdue coach idea was actually good. Have an 8 game spring season (with the obvious hope for fans) and a 10 game season in the 2021 fall season.

TV revenue > fans in the stands

BIG 10 got $781.5 million in TV revenue last year, so around $50-60 million per team, per an article I saw.

They aren't getting that back. There won't be football in the Spring.

The spring season is fool's gold. Maybe a spring game. It's less politics, IMO, and more about the student/athletes' lawsuits from long term effects of covid19.

If fed's don't give blanket protection from these infections it will be a lawyers paradise to go after deep pocket institutions and businesses.

What is just crazy to me is these teams are still practicing with nothing to play for. We will be reading and analyzing these decisions for the next decade.

Why should schools and businesses get immunity from their own negligence?

Why should the burden of long term medical expenses and other Covid related damages be placed entirely on the workers and players rather than the businesses and schools collecting all of the revenues?

Spring football is a myth created by the B1G to try to placate fans and give players a reason to stick at their current B1G schools instead of transferring.

Play a football schedule to end somewhere around late May maybe? Then start fall camp for the 2021 season at the start of August. Just 2 months to recover. Then try to jam 2 football seasons into the same calendar year?

Talk about craziness and health risks for the players! That's to say nothing about conflicts with other collegiate sports, like basketball. Then there's the NFL draft. Something that many football players will be taking into consideration. I strongly doubt the B1G football players - or their families/advisors - are taking this ploy very seriously at all.

Why should schools and businesses get immunity from their own negligence?

Why should the burden of long term medical expenses and other Covid related damages be placed entirely on the workers and players rather than the businesses and schools collecting all of the revenues?
Essentially because anyone who isn't comfortable with risk associated in almost any line of business including college football can opt out without penalty.

Spring football is a myth created by the B1G to try to placate fans and give players a reason to stick at their current B1G schools instead of transferring.

Play a football schedule to end somewhere around late May maybe? Then start fall camp for the 2021 season at the start of August. Just 2 months to recover. Then try to jam 2 football seasons into the same calendar year?

Talk about craziness and health risks for the players! That's to say nothing about conflicts with other collegiate sports, like basketball. Then there's the NFL draft. Something that many football players will be taking into consideration. I strongly doubt the B1G football players - or their families/advisors - are taking this ploy very seriously at all.
I couldn't agree more. The idea is completely silly and an eligibility nightmare. Suppose God forbid a kid gets hurt during this spring season like a torn acl. They most likely miss two seasons because of this ridiculous time table being projected.

I couldn't agree more. The idea is completely silly and an eligibility nightmare. Suppose God forbid a kid gets hurt during this spring season like a torn acl. They most likely miss two seasons because of this ridiculous time table being projected.

They're just kicking the can down the road. Trying to buy time and get their players and their support systems to hang in there with them and not bolt.

Reactions: bayardstreet
Spring football is a joke just to push it down the road. Who knows when a vaccine is safe to give to the public. Have to learn how to treat the virus but I read where the recovery rate is 98 %. It seems to hit the older people and with medical conditions. Plus it would be very hard to play two football seasons in one year. Ncaa should just get ready for the 2021 season forget the spring.

Spring football isn’t going to happen. The same liability issues will exist. Say goodbye to all of that television money. Soon Olympic sports at the collegiate level will be mostly self funded clubs sports. Universities will actually be known for doing what they are intended to do. Education and training for ones future.

$$$$$

Democrat governors in PA, NJ, MI, WI, MN, and IL would not allow fans. Republican governors in OH and MD have taken COVID seriously and would not have allowed many, if any fans. Notice the 2 teams who voted to have a season: Iowa and Nebraska. Their R governors would have allowed nearly full stadiums.

Basically, the other 12 teams had my exact line of thinking and what I've said all along. If you play in the fall, you guarantee yourself a season with no fans and no ticket revenue. You also may have no fans and no ticket revenue in the spring but you have a CHANCE of having nearly full stadiums if there is a vaccine or medical breakthrough by then.

What party are governors in NY, PA, VA, KY and NC? Even the republican in MA is essentially a democrat. That's 10 of 15 schools in the ACC.

$$$$$

They did NOT cancel the games because of $$$$

They cancelled because of liability.

It's that simple, and yet another prediction of yours proves incorrect.

Yeah all of these conspiracy theories, but this is the real reason here. The college Presidents make the decision and these are mostly career academia’s who are very risk averse by nature. I am told by some friends in the biz (including one in the Big Ten) that the recent discovery of the link between COVID and Myocarditis created panic around the B1G and caused the emergency meetings that took place last weekend and the mandate that came out to all football programs that they were not to advance to the next phase of preseason (padded, more intense practices).

They mentioned that something like 7 or 8 Big Ten athletes were found to have the heart condition (including the very public one involving the Indiana lineman whose mother was very vocal on social media).

Yeah money is a factor, but when you are talking about the Big Ten you are talking about major universities with many of the largest and wealthiest alumni bases in the country. They probably feel that they can weather the next few years via some budget cuts and reaching out for donations from their alumni. You can fundraise to save athletic programs— you can’t fundraise for lawsuit money.

I know everyone wants to come up with their theories, but as always, the answer is the one that makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Covid is an existing virus much like a flu where most people will recover but emploiyers can't protect everyone all the time (not their negligence) and the immunity will keep the frivilous suits out of the courts and not eleviate an already stressed finanicial business or university from having to defend the the lottery lawyers.

Reactions: 303vND

What's the difference?
And while we're talking liability and money, I still say we still haven't heard from certain big mouth big donor rurals yet.

Yeah all of these conspiracy theories, but this is the real reason here. The college Presidents make the decision and these are mostly career academia’s who are very risk averse by nature. I am told by some friends in the biz (including one in the Big Ten) that the recent discovery of the link between COVID and Myocarditis created panic around the B1G and caused the emergency meetings that took place last weekend and the mandate that came out to all football programs that they were not to advance to the next phase of preseason (padded, more intense practices).

They mentioned that something like 7 or 8 Big Ten athletes were found to have the heart condition (including the very public one involving the Indiana lineman whose mother was very vocal on social media).

Yeah money is a factor, but when you are talking about the Big Ten you are talking about major universities with many of the largest and wealthiest alumni bases in the country. They probably feel that they can weather the next few years via some budget cuts and reaching out for donations from their alumni. You can fundraise to save athletic programs— you can’t fundraise for lawsuit money.

I know everyone wants to come up with their theories, but as always, the answer is the one that makes the most sense.

Spot on post.

I might also add.....that Michigan State probably made a very compelling case for shutting it down.

If I had to guess, when MSU reminded the presidents of their ongoing payouts for negligence, the room got real quiet....

Reactions: bubba31
What's the difference?
And while we're talking liability and money, I still say we still haven't heard from certain big mouth big donor rurals yet.

The difference is this. If it was about money, they would try it, and if it blows up they walk away with something from the networks.

Liability? Different animal completely with no upside.

Huge difference.

The difference is this. If it was about money, they would try it, and if it blows up they walk away with something from the networks.

Liability? Different animal completely with no upside.

Huge difference.
In the end, after the lawsuits, it’s all about the $$$$$$.

saw an estimate from a major college AD that it's a greater loss to play (maybe $2.2m) than to just bag it (around $1.5m)

Just have the players sign off liability or something. It seems the players overwhelmingly want to play. Let them play

Follow this thread ----

It's a too technical for me, but it seems like the myocarditis study has some serious issues in validity.

Lol, here we go...,

The Penn State football parents association is looking for answers from Kevin Warren and PSU President Eric Barron. A letter signed from 80-plus parents wants to know what changed after the schedule was released, among other details:

I read that Iowa parents did the same thing yesterday.

Ye
$$$$$

s

I read that Iowa parents did the same thing yesterday.
Over 5,000,000 US cases. Close to 170,000 deaths. Temple and the Eagles will play in empty stadiums.

Please tell me: the proposal to play college ball beginning in a month or so, will this help us get control of the virus? Return life to normal? Will their be a mask mandate at any stadiums where football is played or will college football become a super-spreader event?

But don't count on the games just yet. This story has many more chapters.

Last edited:
Just have the players sign off liability or something. It seems the players overwhelmingly want to play. Let them play
The number of players that would sign off liability will be a much smaller number then what you think. You're are talking about football players who think that they are going pro someday. Do you honestly think that they would sign something? I bet that the percentage would be under 10% who'd sign off liability.

What party are governors in NY, PA, VA, KY and NC? Even the republican in MA is essentially a democrat. That's 10 of 15 schools in the ACC.

Doesn't matter. Clemson wants to play and will have a nearly full stadium. And fan attendance isnt as big in the ACC. Schools like Pitt, BC, Syr, Wake, Duke, etc are fine with playing with no fans.

Nope, the myocarditis/liabilty messaging was an excuse to have full stadiums in the spring. You think PSU cares about liability? They allowed a guy to rape children for years. They didn't want an empty stadium. Period.

Lol, here we go...,

The Penn State football parents association is looking for answers from Kevin Warren and PSU President Eric Barron. A letter signed from 80-plus parents wants to know what changed after the schedule was released, among other details:

We know Penn State alumni and supporters never cared about their players health and safety. Proof of that is in prison right now.

Nope, the myocarditis/liabilty messaging was an excuse to have full stadiums in the spring. You think PSU cares about liability? They allowed a guy to rape children for years. They didn't want an empty stadium. Period.
Maybe it WAS an excuse, but it was absolutely the reason the Big Ten acted so fast. There was a very quick panic that spread around the conference last weekend because of the cases of myocarditis that were popping up around the conference.

Here is what you are suggesting:

The presidents of some of the most prestigious universities in the country relied on a scheme to play ball in the spring. That is your take in this.

Here is what you are not suggesting:

That same presidents did not listen to legal counsel for advice on potential liability. Surely, even a fool such as yourself would admit that lawyers were in on this decision.

Liability......negligence......which financially stung MSU and PSU.....two member schools. You simply ignore this as if it has no impact on this decision. I really have a hard time believing you are this dense.

You are actually stating that the presidents would rather come up with an excuse to play rather than avoid astronomical risk.

You are absolutely discounting the liability issue, and even you can see how gun shy these presidents are given how costly it has been for MSU and to a lesser degree PSU.

Why would the Big Ten not start the season? Maybe they get 2-3 games in, maybe 5-6 before infections start to show up. Maybe.

3,5,6 games in would generate at least some money for the Big Ten. Yet they shut down the season instead.

Thats is why I believe the risk of liability is the big decider here. As another poster stated, If I am a president of a Big Ten school, listening to how much MSU has paid out for negligence I am in no hurry to vote yes to playing.

Reactions: Las Panteras
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT