ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII vs ACC perception

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Man, I'm seeing all the national media tweeting out Yorkman's comments for Big XII media days and eating it up. They got totally torn apart the last few years, but due to the slow movement of the Pac 12 and ACC to pull in some of their bigger brands to not piss off Oregon, Washington, FSU, and Clemson to name a few, they allowed those schools that were already leaving to just let the Big XII sit, and now the Big XII are "secure" and allowed to move forward.

Whereas last year, the Pac 12 blew up anyway, and now the ACC has schools suing to get out, and constantly bashing the conference. You can't move forward while all of that is happening, and it's all self sabotage.

In the current set up, the ACC >> Big XII. But you wouldn't think it that way due to the PR disaster that is the ACC and it's members. Same happened to the Pac 12.

Yeah, the Big 12 is the 5/10 chubby meatball who has accepted her place on the looks hierarchy and developed a sense of confidence because of it.

The ACC is the 7.5/10 who is walking around with an infection in each leg that everyone knows will soon lead to a double amputation.

The Big XII had a team in the cfb playoff and championship game more recently than the ACC.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
That team is no longer in the Big XII as of June 30th.
I think he’s referring to TCU, but it’s questionable how much credit the conference should get for what everyone considers to be a super improbable, unsustainable miracle season by TCU.

Man, I'm seeing all the national media tweeting out Yorkman's comments for Big XII media days and eating it up. They got totally torn apart the last few years, but due to the slow movement of the Pac 12 and ACC to pull in some of their bigger brands to not piss off Oregon, Washington, FSU, and Clemson to name a few, they allowed those schools that were already leaving to just let the Big XII sit, and now the Big XII are "secure" and allowed to move forward.

Whereas last year, the Pac 12 blew up anyway, and now the ACC has schools suing to get out, and constantly bashing the conference. You can't move forward while all of that is happening, and it's all self sabotage.

In the current set up, the ACC >> Big XII. But you wouldn't think it that way due to the PR disaster that is the ACC and it's members. Same happened to the Pac 12.

It was malpractice on the Pac 12 and ACC's part to not end the Big 12 2 summers ago when Texas and Oklahoma left. This is especially true of the Pac 12 as they should have added OK St, TT, Kansas, and either Baylor or TCU if not both. I remember them saying that nobody added value and while that may have been true, eliminating a rival is more important. Now their conference is literally gone.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
pains me to say it, but i'd absolutely take an invite to big 12 now for pitt.

perception is reality and one is stable, the other has their two best programs taking the conference leadership to court to try and get out of it..

pains me to say it, but i'd absolutely take an invite to big 12 now for pitt.

perception is reality and one is stable, the other has their two best programs taking the conference leadership to court to try and get out of it..

I'm in the same boat. Top brands are going to be rolling out of the ACC, and like you said, perception is reality, the leftovers will look at the Big XII before trying to reconsitute the ACC.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I'm in the same boat. Top brands are going to be rolling out of the ACC, and like you said, perception is reality, the leftovers will look at the Big XII before trying to reconsitute the ACC.

There is 0 reason for Pitt, Lou, Duke, VT, NC St, GT, Syr, etc to flea to a clustereff of a conference. Add a few schools and bam, you have a league as good as the trashy Big 12.

Totally agree. Something to keep in mind:

• # of former non-major conference members in the Big 12: 6 (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, TCU, UCF, Utah)
  • # of former non-major conference members in the ACC: 2 (Louisville, SMU)

The Big XII sans TX and OU is 🐴 💩. Yormark (or anybody else) can try to spin it however they want. But that’s what it is.

And here is the national article from a very credible reporter where they talk about the big xii going after the acc, maybe even landing fsu and Clemson if they can’t get the big or sec. That is the perception out there.

There's definitely a perception and I think it's because the Big 12 feels safe once their dust has settled and the ACC is simple the last of the P5 at risk of being picked apart, so there is a lot of negativity around the conference. In reality, the Big 12 lacks any major brands outside of Kansas basketball. The ACC still has some of the biggest names in college with FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC along with Duke basketball.

And here is the national article from a very credible reporter where they talk about the big xii going after the acc, maybe even landing fsu and Clemson if they can’t get the big or sec. That is the perception out there.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that the Big 12 may land FSU and Clemson. I'm telling you NOBODY is better at propaganda than the Big 12.

There's definitely a perception and I think it's because the Big 12 feels safe once their dust has settled and the ACC is simple the last of the P5 at risk of being picked apart, so there is a lot of negativity around the conference. In reality, the Big 12 lacks any major brands outside of Kansas basketball. The ACC still has some of the biggest names in college with FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC along with Duke basketball.
The ACC is the Big 12 of 2010. Brands are still prevalent. But if the brands leave, like what happened to the Big 12, then the ACC is the current Big 12 - but possibly worse as the backfill schools aren't or will not be as good as the Big 12's.

I always get a chuckle from these frequent posts from you for the last like 7 years, chicken lit. You're a great Pitt man, but you get in such a tizzy over this stuff.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that the Big 12 may land FSU and Clemson. I'm telling you NOBODY is better at propaganda than the Big 12.

To be fair though, the only reason that they are "good" at it is because their are a lot of morons in their fan bases that lick this stuff up.

Nobody with even a semi-functioning brain believe this stuff.

Credibility after publishing that kook-level stuff? No. Time for you to go to the hive and get a some sense replenished.

Last edited:
The ACC is the Big 12 of 2010. Brands are still prevalent. But if the brands leave, like what happened to the Big 12, then the ACC is the current Big 12 - but possibly worse as the backfill schools aren't or will not be as good as the Big 12's.
The reality is that the ACC is anchored in massive population centers and somehow that gets lost on the Big12 fan base. You have 3 million people living in Kansas between two schools. You can rattle off a few counties in ACC territory that add up to 3 million pretty quickly. At the end of the day, the media people still covet huge population centers and the advertising market saturation it brings. When push comes to shove, if the ACC were to lose out on FSU, UCF would happily jump in. They're not loyal to anyone. Want another partner in a large Texas market, there's a school that was ready to bounce to the Big East. It's not really very complicated. Of course all of that assumes that the academic schools in the ACC want to continue to participate in the escalation of money that's going to be involved. I'm not entirely convinced they will.

Reactions: PittMed and Burgh15
Both conferences are second tier now and any arguing is over one is the taller midget.
This is relatively true. Both are behind the Big Ten and SEC and, to be frank, they always have been. So that’s not really anything new.

I’m of the opinion that the ACC is in a better spot than the Big 12, largely because of the above-referenced demographic factors and the fact that I think that the ACC’s media contract is more favorable for multiple reasons. But at the same time, the ACC and the Big 12 are closer to each other than either of them are to the Big Ten or SEC.

But at that point, why would you leave a collection of schools that feel much closer to Pitt’s natural peer institutions, and a footprint where the vast majority of your alumni live, to go to a league where you have absolutely nothing in common with any of them? It feels much more natural for Pitt to be playing any school in the ACC (including Stanford and Cal) than it feels for Pitt to be playing, like, Iowa State, Texas Tech or Kansas State. Pitt doesn’t have anything in common with those schools, athletically, geographically, student population, shared alumni bases, shared recruiting territory, or otherwise. Sure, you pick up West Virginia and Cincy as conference opponents…but you’re already playing them now, so what’s the advantage there?

The reality is that the ACC is anchored in massive population centers and somehow that gets lost on the Big12 fan base. You have 3 million people living in Kansas between two schools. You can rattle off a few counties in ACC territory that add up to 3 million pretty quickly. At the end of the day, the media people still covet huge population centers and the advertising market saturation it brings. When push comes to shove, if the ACC were to lose out on FSU, UCF would happily jump in. They're not loyal to anyone. Want another partner in a large Texas market, there's a school that was ready to bounce to the Big East. It's not really very complicated. Of course all of that assumes that the academic schools in the ACC want to continue to participate in the escalation of money that's going to be involved. I'm not entirely convinced they will.
Understand your reasoning and merit to it. Flip side is this applies more to pro sports. State fan interest ironically comes when the college is in a college town. Schools in large cities don't have the local/state interest. Rutgers, Houston, Stanford, Cal, ASU are examples.

Not a great example but SEC for years before the Texas expansion had no problems with ratings when they were composed mostly in little pop states and cities. Of course they had brands built up through the years. Legacy Big 10 schools, except for Minnesota and guess Wisconsin, are generally in college towns.

i'd feel great about this if the biggest names in college football with fsu, clemson werent actively trying to get out of the ACC with lawyers. pretty much the same with UNC..

i'd feel great about this if the biggest names in college football with fsu, clemson werent actively trying to get out of the ACC with lawyers. pretty much the same with UNC..
I think UNC’s interest in leaving has been dramatically overstated. The stuff from a few months ago was one loud trustee, a few days before his primary election for state auditor in North Carolina. I also think their marketability for the SEC or the Big Ten is nowhere near as attractive as Florida State or even Clemson.

I think UNC’s interest in leaving has been dramatically overstated. The stuff from a few months ago was one loud trustee, a few days before his primary election for state auditor in North Carolina. I also think their marketability for the SEC or the Big Ten is nowhere near as attractive as Florida State or even Clemson.

Both the SEC and B10 would much rather have UNC than Clemson. But I agree they would prefer not to leave but will only do so because FSU and Clemson are leaving.

Understand your reasoning and merit to it. Flip side is this applies more to pro sports. State fan interest ironically comes when the college is in a college town. Schools in large cities don't have the local/state interest. Rutgers, Houston, Stanford, Cal, ASU are examples.

Not a great example but SEC for years before the Texas expansion had no problems with ratings when they were composed mostly in little pop states and cities. Of course they had brands built up through the years. Legacy Big 10 schools, except for Minnesota and guess Wisconsin, are generally in college towns.
I understand the basis for your argument but we've watched schools with small fan bases but from areas, with big media markets, get pulled into the B1G. I mean, if this is the case, why did the Big 12 add ASU, Houston, and Cincinnati? TCU isn't a very good fit either if that's true. Even UCF is more or less a "city" school yet that's a good representation of Big12 expansion with a few exceptions.

Greg Flugaur did a whole ass podcast on the Big12's chances of landing both. I'd agree with that assessment of him but some say he's a genius or something.

Is this another B12 propogandist? How many does this conference have? I mean the ACC, SEC, and B10 combined have 0. Its really incredible.

Greg Flugaur is a B1G guy, a Minnesota Golden Gopher in fact. He has been on top of realignment and expansion for years. He has a youtube channel with around 5k subscribers. He is hard to listen to and it takes forever for him to get to the point but if you want to take a look at the self professed fat guy from Minnesota here is today's link
PATC
His broadcast today is based on John Kurtz interview of Ross Dellenger that link is here
Ross Dellenger

Greg Flugaur is a B1G guy, a Minnesota Golden Gopher in fact. He has been on top of realignment and expansion for years. He has a youtube channel with around 5k subscribers. He is hard to listen to and it takes forever for him to get to the point but if you want to take a look at the self professed fat guy from Minnesota here is today's link
PATC
His broadcast today is based on John Kurtz interview of Ross Dellenger that link is here
Ross Dellenger

Was this the guy who predicted Texas to the B10 and LHN would be BTN2?

Why cant the ACC have an expansionista? We gave it a try with the Utah rumor but we need to keep those coming.

There is VERY little chance of the B12 being able to land FSU or Clemson. Honestly, the B12's best play is to wait for the SEC or B10 to lure them away and the rest of the ACC will be begging to join the B12....and, no, there is zero chance that the ACC will lure even WVU at that point. let alone the other B12 members.

But, I seem to recall a similar response from you about 18 months ago when it was rumored the B12 would snag the four corner schools from the P12. These are crazy times and I wouldn't be too quick to discount anything. Your track record for doing so is not so good.

Reactions: saltydog8159
This is relatively true. Both are behind the Big Ten and SEC and, to be frank, they always have been. So that’s not really anything new.

I’m of the opinion that the ACC is in a better spot than the Big 12, largely because of the above-referenced demographic factors and the fact that I think that the ACC’s media contract is more favorable for multiple reasons. But at the same time, the ACC and the Big 12 are closer to each other than either of them are to the Big Ten or SEC.

But at that point, why would you leave a collection of schools that feel much closer to Pitt’s natural peer institutions, and a footprint where the vast majority of your alumni live, to go to a league where you have absolutely nothing in common with any of them? It feels much more natural for Pitt to be playing any school in the ACC (including Stanford and Cal) than it feels for Pitt to be playing, like, Iowa State, Texas Tech or Kansas State. Pitt doesn’t have anything in common with those schools, athletically, geographically, student population, shared alumni bases, shared recruiting territory, or otherwise. Sure, you pick up West Virginia and Cincy as conference opponents…but you’re already playing them now, so what’s the advantage there?

So we are the tallest midget! Yeah!

I don't think demographics matter much. There are some exceptions but what matters are name brands and some schools have worked hard to cultivate that over a period of decades. Pitt has not. In fact, I'd argue they did the opposite with the constant meddling. We doomed ourselves. The end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT