ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII vs ACC perception

I don't see how FSU and Clemson are doing this without some assurances from upper level Big 10 or SEC brass or 3rd party go-between parties that they will be accepted.

I don't see how FSU and Clemson are doing this without some assurances from upper level Big 10 or SEC brass or 3rd party go-between parties that they will be accepted.

FSU is stupid but not THAT stupid. They arent going to pay $50 million or $100 million in lawyer fees/exit fees to go Independent or join the Big 12. The B10 absolutely takes them.

I somewhat agree but if it was the SEC, I feel that it would have been done, as both are ESPN controlled leagues. When the Pac broke apart, it was FOX shifting assets alongside what they were willing to pay. Most re-alignment has been this.

It wouldn't surprise me that FSU is dealing with Fox/Big behind the scenes. But wouldn't that then force ESPN to play hardball? Would ESPN just sit there and allow Fox to take the two, arguably three (If FSU/Clem go to the Big..would ND be far behind?) most valuable ACC properties? After it invested in a network?

Right. So it couldn’t have strengthened it.

What the Maryland settlement did, that FSU does a pretty good job articulating in their petition, is show how the GOR was purely about punishment, and not an attempt to accurately assess damages.

Basically the GOR was created because of how weak the exit fee was shown to be in punishing teams enough to prevent them from leaving.

Whether the Maryland situation weakens the GOR enough to legally defeat it, I’m not arguing that. But it certainly didn’t strengthen it in anyway.

And the ACC settled with Maryland for the same reason that all of the exit fee cases were settled back then: the conferences weren’t certain they would hold up in court as liquidated damages.
FSU hasn't articulated a thing. The GOR has nothing to do about any punishment. That's ignorant Nole fanboy talk. The GOR was created in order to ensure ESPN of their investment in creating a new network, just like there is similar grant of rights for the B10, and it is pretty much standard industry operating procedure these days for colleges and conferences. No GOR = No ACCN; and that is why FSU and Clemson willingly signed away their media rights, twice.

So it is clear, there is both currently an exit fee (3X the ACC annual operating budget) that is part of the ACC bylaws and a grant of rights which is a separate contract where all media rights for each school have been signed over to their respective conference for the purposes of collectively negotiating media rights. The exit fee and GOR coexist but are separate and have, essentially, nothing to do with each other.

The only argument about something being punitive would be pertaining to the exit fee, not the GOR, and the exit fee would also be strongly defended by litigation.

Maryland's situation is absolutely unrelated to FSU or Clemson or anyone else currently in the conference.

Last edited:
FSU hasn't articulated a thing. The GOR has nothing to do about any punishment. That's ignorant Nole fanboy talk. The GOR was created in order to ensure ESPN of their investment in creating a new network, just like there is similar grant of rights for the B10.

So it is clear, there is both currently an exit fee (3X the ACC annual operating budget) and a grant of rights; where all media rights for each school have been signed over to their respective conference, and it is pretty much standard industry operating procedure these days. The exit fee and GOR coexist but are separate and have, essentially, nothing to do with each other.

This is where I dont get FSU's argument that the GOR is an exit fee punishment. ESPN said in order for us to give you a network, you have to grant the TV rights to your home games to the ACC. So if FSU goes to the B10, that's fine but ACCN can air OSU at FSU. This protects ESPN and that seems to make business sense. Where FSU may have a case is in saying if this happens, they should still receive that TV revenue. The ACC would say no, we dont distribute revenue to non-members

This is where I dont get FSU's argument that the GOR is an exit fee punishment. ESPN said in order for us to give you a network, you have to grant the TV rights to your home games to the ACC. So if FSU goes to the B10, that's fine but ACCN can air OSU at FSU. This protects ESPN and that seems to make business sense. Where FSU may have a case is in saying if this happens, they should still receive that TV revenue. The ACC would say no, we dont distribute revenue to non-members

1. How is that a legal distinction with a difference?

2. The ACC will not say that. The ACC is explicitly not saying that. Because to say that would mean FSU wins. No exception. No argument. Straight to the exit door. Which is why it’s FSU actually arguing that.

Author gave it some good thought. Two things author is missing.

One, the Big 12 has the contract up in 2031. It could be a haircut but doubt it. With OUT gone, a few Big 12 teams start to brand themselves. Big 12 gets a good increase.

2nd, why would a Big 12 team move in 2031 to a ship that may sink 5 years later? The P2 will still be so far ahead in 2036. If you are an ACC brand, you aren't signing for a new contract. 20 teams is max in my opinion for scheduling purposes, and they have room to add. Plus, some of these brands are in areas the P2 does not have (Florida, North Carolina).

I give it maybe 2 years only before we hear of complaining of Cal and Stanford on the travel expenses.

I read that the FSU Prez spoke to some alumni group and told them they will have AAU accreditation within 3 years so naturally, some feel that is due to their impending B10 membership.

With or without AAU accreditation, I do think the B10 offers them if they can get out of their GOR and then the SEC has to decide if they'd rather have a duplicate Florida market or have the B10 in Florida.

I read that the FSU Prez spoke to some alumni group and told them they will have AAU accreditation within 3 years so naturally, some feel that is due to their impending B10 membership.

With or without AAU accreditation, I do think the B10 offers them if they can get out of their GOR and then the SEC has to decide if they'd rather have a duplicate Florida market or have the B10 in Florida.
There is no such thing as AAU "accreditation". If someone uses that term, rest assured they have no idea what they are talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT