ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII vs ACC perception

Let's say FSU, Clemson to the SEC and NC and Virginia to the Big 10. How would the perception or reaction of such schools be if NC State, Duke, Miami, VT, Louisville, and Pitt invite the entire Big 12, still called the ACC, Jim Phillips as the commissioner, and conference headquarters in North Carolina? The alternative would be the Big 12 does the invite, but in this situation, the Big 12 allows the best ACC schools to call the shots - but has to invite the entire Big 12.

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a full merger and maybe calling it the Allstate League with an ACC Division and Big 12 Division would make sense.

Allstate League
ACC Division
Pitt
BC
Syr
WVU
Lou
Cincy
VT
NC St
Wake
Duke
GT
UCF

Big 12 Division
Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
OK St
TT
TCU
Houston
SMU
Memphis (if they do the SMU, take no revenue thing)

Pac 12 Division
Cal
Stanford
San Diego St
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah
BYU
Colorado
Oregon St

There, I solved it. Put everyone in one league, sell the naming rights and keep the division names the same as the old conference names.

Top 2 Division Champs play in the championship game in Arlington since its somewhat centrally located. Or maybe Vegas since its a tourist hub with cheap flights.

Reactions: USN_Panther
So one 12 team division and two 9 team divisions? Why not three 10 team divisions?

so instead of two conferences, just one big one with two divisions. this is like trying to save money at the gas station by only filling up your tank 1/2 way, but then you realize you have to go twice as often..

Reactions: NTOP
This dude is King Clown among a sea of clowns.
do wvu or big 12 fans ever call him out for always being wrong? if i made 30 predictions on conference expansion and i was always wrong, i feel like you guys wouldnt be shy to call me out on it. Do wvu fans do it?

Understand your reasoning and merit to it. Flip side is this applies more to pro sports. State fan interest ironically comes when the college is in a college town. Schools in large cities don't have the local/state interest. Rutgers, Houston, Stanford, Cal, ASU are examples.

Not a great example but SEC for years before the Texas expansion had no problems with ratings when they were composed mostly in little pop states and cities. Of course they had brands built up through the years. Legacy Big 10 schools, except for Minnesota and guess Wisconsin, are generally in college towns.
Ohio State is also in a pretty large city. The city of Columbus is rapidly growing and approaching 1 million people. The Columbus metro population is basically the same size as Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincinnati metros are and in 20 years will likely dwarf them all. It is about the only large metro in the Great Lakes megalopolis that is growing. While the Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Buffalo metros all hemorrhaging population Columbus is exploding like it is in the sun belt.

My favorite part of that thread was that the B1G has no interest in FSU or Clemson but want UNC, Virginia, and Duke out of the ACC.
conference expansion talk, round 1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever round we are in now, is soooo exhausting. i get sucked into it to man. just every damn person with a social media account thinking they have a source, posting complete BS.

Mvher is a turd. Ross Dellenger saying it though is credible. When he and Pete Thamel report something my ears perk.

Mvher is a turd. Ross Dellenger saying it though is credible. When he and Pete Thamel report something my ears perk.

Why WOULDNT the Big 12 and FSU have talks? The Big 12 would give them anything they wanted AND FSU needs leverage. It makes perfect sense to talk. FSU needs a better deal from the ACC but they aint going to the Wal Mart League.

I know. I said that yesterday. Him saying it, there are legs. Maybe a long shot and he said the courts need to settle first, but this is one reason I think once the acc starts having defections, the big xii will add some schools and that perception is reality. I hope Pitt is one of those schools and we aren’t stuck with wake and bc.

Once the 4 corner schools went to the big xii, it became more enticing conference for those not getting a big or sec invite.

I know. I said that yesterday. Him saying it, there are legs. Maybe a long shot and he said the courts need to settle first, but this is one reason I think once the acc starts having defections, the big xii will add some schools and that perception is reality. I hope Pitt is one of those schools and we aren’t stuck with wake and bc.

Once the 4 corner schools went to the big xii, it became more enticing conference for those not getting a big or sec invite.

You should know better. It is some seriously stupid s**T. Sure, the B12 may have reached out...everyone takes phone calls. But it makes no economic or any other sense. Seriously, test run these things on the hive before spreading it places where people may not be better informed. You bemoan the perception but then help spread the absolute dumbest stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeydavid
You should know better. It is some seriously stupid s**T. Sure, the B12 may have reached out...everyone takes phone calls. But it makes no economic or any other sense. Seriously, test run these things on the hive before spreading it places where may not be better informed.
Are you saying the Big12 isn't passing the Big10 in revenue and popularity cause I saw that on the interwebs today, too.

You should know better. It is some seriously stupid s**T. Sure, the B12 may have reached out...everyone takes phone calls. But it makes no economic or any other sense. Seriously, test run these things on the hive before spreading it places where people may not be better informed. You bemoan the perception but then help spread the absolute dumbest stuff.

I only really spread what Ross and Pete Thamel say. They are legit. I’m glad he clarified. Kooks don’t clarify.

Are you saying the Big12 isn't passing the Big10 in revenue and popularity cause I saw that on the interwebs today, too.

Yorkmak also said he wont stop until his truck stop league is the #1 league. People eat this WWE-type promotion up. I am sick of idiots.

I only really spread what Ross and Pete Thamel say. They are legit. I’m glad he clarified. Kooks don’t clarify.
The problem is, the tweet that spread the internet aflutter wasn't actually from Ross. And if you watch his actual interview (by a Big 12 homer media member asking the questions), he clearly doesn't say sources have said this or that...it is his pure speculation of what options there could be for FSU...in his words would be...and in his opinion, it would be an option AFTER a reformulated ACC and he states any possibility to of these what-if scenario would be well into the future. The other problem is that sports writers don't actually dive into the financials outside people like David Teel. Heck, you get more from ACCRx blog than most sportswriters. Ross may or may not know the ACC is already ahead of the B12 in per team revenue distribution, and is there to stay. There is just no financial or geographic or sensible incentive for anyone to join the b12 because it isn't going to make what the ACC is making per team and fans from Kansas aren't going to fill up Doak Campbell, and there won't be a performance clause like the ACC now has, and anything the b12 can do to increase revenue, like selling naming rights, so can the ACC. It is amazingly stupid. I mean, FSU's leadership is clearly pretty dumb, but I don't even think their that dumb...maybe that gullible, I don't know.

Reactions: pittdan77
Only way FSU or Clemson go to the Big 12 is if the Big 12 gives a highly beneficial unequal revenue deal. That is maybe what Dellenger is speculating. He read the room wrong though. The Big 12 is not doing any unequal deal. The Big 12 just got free of giving unequal treatment (LHN, 3rd tier rights, etc.), which also comes with a "better than you" attitude from Oklahoma/Texas (OUT). FSU and Clemson would be out the door again anyways, just like OUT.

Only way FSU or Clemson go to the Big 12 is if the Big 12 gives a highly beneficial unequal revenue deal. That is maybe what Dellenger is speculating. He read the room wrong though. The Big 12 is not doing any unequal deal. The Big 12 just got free of giving unequal treatment (LHN, 3rd tier rights, etc.), which also comes with a "better than you" attitude from Oklahoma/Texas (OUT). FSU and Clemson would be out the door again anyways, just like OUT.

B12 would give them unequal....at least for FSU they would. If the B12 is fine with selling part of its league to a private equity firm partly owned by an Emirati prince, I am quite sure they are fine with FSU making more money than Central Florida. Then they'll take that back to the ACC and say "match."

Not terrible if FSU and Clemson got to SEC or Big Ten but it would be a nightmare if they went to the Big 12.

One thing the ACC has going for it is the ACC Network. The Big 12 does not have it and does not figure to get one. The ACC could add USF, Tulane, Memphis or San Diego State to back fill for Clemson and FSU.

Not terrible if FSU and Clemson got to SEC or Big Ten but it would be a nightmare if they went to the Big 12.

One thing the ACC has going for it is the ACC Network. The Big 12 does not have it and does not figure to get one. The ACC could add USF, Tulane, Memphis or San Diego State to back fill for Clemson and FSU.
The ACCN is a nice have. In return, ESPN required the ACC to be locked to 2036. For non-brands, that is another win. FSU and Clemson conveniently forget about this network arrangement and cry foul being locked in.

The problem is, the tweet that spread the internet aflutter wasn't actually from Ross. And if you watch his actual interview (by a Big 12 homer media member asking the questions), he clearly doesn't say sources have said this or that...it is his pure speculation of what options there could be for FSU...in his words would be...and in his opinion, it would be an option AFTER a reformulated ACC and he states any possibility to of these what-if scenario would be well into the future. The other problem is that sports writers don't actually dive into the financials outside people like David Teel. Heck, you get more from ACCRx blog than most sportswriters. Ross may or may not know the ACC is already ahead of the B12 in per team revenue distribution, and is there to stay. There is just no financial or geographic or sensible incentive for anyone to join the b12 because it isn't going to make what the ACC is making per team and fans from Kansas aren't going to fill up Doak Campbell, and there won't be a performance clause like the ACC now has, and anything the b12 can do to increase revenue, like selling naming rights, so can the ACC. It is amazingly stupid. I mean, FSU's leadership is clearly pretty dumb, but I don't even think their that dumb...maybe that gullible, I don't know.
You are like everyone else. You have NO CLUE what is going on so stop trying to be the “expert”. Your nonsense is just like these guys claiming to know. You’re so damn full of yourself.

The ACCN is a nice have. In return, ESPN required the ACC to be locked to 2036. For non-brands, that is another win. FSU and Clemson conveniently forget about this network arrangement and cry foul being locked in.

Yea. They signed the deal. Then the market experienced a reset and to get out of the deal, they have to say the ACC made them sign an illegal document.

You are like everyone else. You have NO CLUE what is going on so stop trying to be the “expert”. Your nonsense is just like these guys claiming to know. You’re so damn full of yourself.
It is true no one knows what will happen in the future, or what confidential private conversations that take place, and that includes both actual reporters or the myriad of bloggers with long histories of dealing in nothing but their own imaginations or peddling in clickbate tweets with misleading headlines as was done in this instance. That said, if anything in my post was incorrect, please point it out, but financially, where the two conferences currently sit in relation to one another is actually verifiable by actual 990 tax filings, and so is the trajectory fairly easy to discern based on precedent and by people that spend a lot more time on this stuff than anyone (including myself) posting in, or quoted in this thread. But thanks for your ad hominem confirming that you belong on ignore, so on it you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeydavid
It is true no one knows what will happen in the future, or what confidential private conversations that take place, and that includes both actual reporters or the myriad of bloggers with long histories of dealing in nothing but their own imaginations or peddling in clickbate tweets with misleading headlines as was done in this instance. That said, if anything in my post was incorrect, please point it out, but financially, where the two conferences currently sit in relation to one another is actually verifiable by actual 990 tax filings, and so is the trajectory fairly easy to discern based on precedent and by people that spend a lot more time on this stuff than anyone (including myself) posting in, or quoted in this thread. But thanks for confirming that you belong on ignore, so on it you go.
lol Paco got his lil panties ina bunch because someone is sick of bullshit. 😂😂😂😂😂

Man, I'm seeing all the national media tweeting out Yorkman's comments for Big XII media days and eating it up. They got totally torn apart the last few years, but due to the slow movement of the Pac 12 and ACC to pull in some of their bigger brands to not piss off Oregon, Washington, FSU, and Clemson to name a few, they allowed those schools that were already leaving to just let the Big XII sit, and now the Big XII are "secure" and allowed to move forward.

Whereas last year, the Pac 12 blew up anyway, and now the ACC has schools suing to get out, and constantly bashing the conference. You can't move forward while all of that is happening, and it's all self sabotage.

In the current set up, the ACC >> Big XII. But you wouldn't think it that way due to the PR disaster that is the ACC and it's members. Same happened to the Pac 12.

They are greatest conference of all time.

....in their own mind 🙄.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT