ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketolgy update thread

Interesting, agree about UNC but their brand probably gets them in. Plus UNC is usually a different team come tournament time. Not saying they make a deep run but they are still very capable of winning games. Tomorrow will really tell against Duke and I think they will obliterate them.

Maybe they should have blind resumes they present to the committee, that way the blue bloods would have less chance of getting in based on NAME BRAND.
In reality this is truth and probably as you said should be the way to do it. Removes any bias.

Yeah that sucks. I’d rather be a 10 or 7 then have to face a 1.

The 8/9 seeds have the lowest advancement rates to the Sweet 16. I through 7 have the best odds, then 10, 11, 12, then 8. Strangely it drops off significantly and then 9 and 13 have about the same rate. I would absolutely prefer a 10 or non-Dayton 11 or 12 to an 8 or 9 but I'll be happy just to get in.

In the why not dream big department, win out including the ACC tournament and we should be around a 3 seed. How about that for exceeding expectations?
That reminds me of when they won the BET in 2008, I think that vaulted them up to a 4 seed?

In the why not dream big department, win out including the ACC tournament and we should be around a 3 seed. How about that for exceeding expectations?
I don't know about the tournament but winning the regular season is certainly a possibility. The teams bunched up around us have more difficult schedules; beat Miami and we could maybe lose one more. What the hell, I do dare to dream bigly.

Reactions: nycpanther98
I did, honestly, that was my favorite year of Pitt Basketball, loved that 4 consecutive days winning the BET in NYC! IMO those where the Glory Days.
Loved that year as well. Was at the Duke game in MSG. We were all going nuts after pulling it out. Randomly ran into Coach Wannstedt as we were exiting the building. Went over to him, yelled something celebratory and shook his hand. The man has large hands. He said something like "enjoy yourself." Great memory.

Reactions: Pitt79
2 of the 22 who updated Thursday have us out. 2 have us an 8 seed.

Overall, we're the 4th to last team in, just behind 2-7 WVU.

The problem this year is that the B12/B10 is grabbing up 15 at-large spots, leaving only 21 for everyone else. Add in the ACC "independents" (UNC, Duke, UVa) and that's only 18 for everyone else. BTW, UNC is a 7 on Bracket Matrix and I'm honestly not sure I'd have them in the tournament at all. Their resume is God awful. 1-6 Q1, 5-1 Q2, 2 road wins. We are 4-2, 4-4, 6 road wins
I realize you’re tripling down on a stupid point, but if the “blue blood” ACC teams don’t count as actual conference teams and are “ACC Independents” then why aren’t you applying that logic to the SEC, BIG, or Big 12?

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Yeah that sucks. I’d rather be a 10 or 7 then have to face a 1.
Not going to be much of a difference between the 1s, 2s, and 3s this year.

The top 10-12 teams in the country are all pretty close. There's no dominant team - not even Purdue.

I realize you’re tripling down on a stupid point, but if the “blue blood” ACC teams don’t count as actual conference teams and are “ACC Independents” then why aren’t you applying that logic to the SEC, BIG, or Big 12?
He's trying to cover for his annual early season posts about how the ACC is only going to get 3, 4, 5 teams in. And how it's the weakest power conference ever. Both points are always proven way wrong in March.

2 of the 22 who updated Thursday have us out. 2 have us an 8 seed.

Overall, we're the 4th to last team in, just behind 2-7 WVU.

The problem this year is that the B12/B10 is grabbing up 15 at-large spots, leaving only 21 for everyone else. Add in the ACC "independents" (UNC, Duke, UVa) and that's only 18 for everyone else. BTW, UNC is a 7 on Bracket Matrix and I'm honestly not sure I'd have them in the tournament at all. Their resume is God awful. 1-6 Q1, 5-1 Q2, 2 road wins. We are 4-2, 4-4, 6 road wins
I noticed one of the 2 who have us out has WVU as a six, so I think you can throw that one out the window

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Lunardi has them as an 9 seed and Jerry Palm has them as 8 seed in his latest updated bracket. Palm has them playing Creighton as the 9 seed and the winner playing Purdue which I definitely hope doesn’t happen. Like many of you have mentioned give me a 10 seed or 11 over and 8 or a 9 seed. I think that is one thing that can stop Pitt from getting to the sweet 16 is being an 8 or 9 seed. They need to get off that line somehow hopefully by moving up to maybe a 6 or 7. Matchups against a 2 or 3 seed seem more favorable then playing someone like Purdue or Alabama your second game to try and advance to the sweet 16.

Lunardi has them as an 9 seed and Jerry Palm has them as 8 seed in his latest updated bracket. Palm has them playing Creighton as the 9 seed and the winner playing Purdue which I definitely hope doesn’t happen. Like many of you have mentioned give me a 10 seed or 11 over and 8 or a 9 seed. I think that is one thing that can stop Pitt from getting to the sweet 16 is being an 8 or 9 seed. They need to get off that line somehow hopefully by moving up to maybe a 6 or 7. Matchups against a 2 or 3 seed seem more favorable then playing someone like Purdue or Alabama your second game to try and advance to the sweet 16.

The 8/9 seeds are such bad seeds to get, it makes me wonder, and this would make traditional bracket people cringe, if the NCAAT should make the 10 and 11 seeds play for the right to play the 1 seed. 6 seed would play 9 seed instead of 11. 7 seed would play 8 seed instead of 10. On the one hand, it wouldn't be right for the 10/11 seeds to have an easier path to the 2nd Round as the 8/9 seeds but they'd have a much tougher time getting to the Sweet 16. It also hurts the 6 and 7 seeds who would play better teams at 9 and 8 instead of 11 and 10.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
The 8/9 seeds are such bad seeds to get, it makes me wonder, and this would make traditional bracket people cringe, if the NCAAT should make the 10 and 11 seeds play for the right to play the 1 seed. 6 seed would play 9 seed instead of 11. 7 seed would play 8 seed instead of 10. On the one hand, it wouldn't be right for the 10/11 seeds to have an easier path to the 2nd Round as the 8/9 seeds but they'd have a much tougher time getting to the Sweet 16. It also hurts the 6 and 7 seeds who would play better teams at 9 and 8 instead of 11 and 10.
I think each region should be re-seeded after each round, just like the NFL does it.

If a 15 upsets a 2.... why should the 7 seed benefit from that? The 15 should have to play the highest remaining seed in the next round.

I realize this would be hard because of the pods in each region. But can be solved by making 8-team pods instead of 4-team pods that are all part of the same region. Then re-seed the 4 winners of the 1st round games.

I think each region should be re-seeded after each round, just like the NFL does it.

If a 15 upsets a 2.... why should the 7 seed benefit from that? The 15 should have to play the highest remaining seed in the next round.

I realize this would be hard because of the pods in each region. But can be solved by making 8-team pods instead of 4-team pods that are all part of the same region. Then re-seed the 4 winners of the 1st round games.
Just leave it the way it is, the randomness of it is why it's a great event. I like the 7th seed benefiting and going farther than they deserve.

Reseeding would take away a lotttttt of money. Those brackets bring in big bucks. Would it be more fair? Yeah, probably. But it ain't going to happen.

Reactions: Pitt79
Reseeding would take away a lotttttt of money. Those brackets bring in big bucks. Would it be more fair? Yeah, probably. But it ain't going to happen.
Personally, I hate the college football leagues going away from divisions, it actually ruined the fun for a lot of fanbases. With divisions, there are pennant races so to speak happening all season, maybe 5-6 teams are in the hunt for the championship game until the last week, the new way, it drops to only 2-3 in the hunt until the end.

Personally, I hate the college football leagues going away from divisions, it actually ruined the fun for a lot of fanbases. With divisions, there are pennant races so to speak happening all season, maybe 5-6 teams are in the hunt for the championship game until the last week, the new way, it drops to only 2-3 in the hunt until the end.
Not really. This past season there would have been 5 ACC teams alive to make the Top 2 going into the final 2 weeks of the season.

There's no reason Pitt can't be good enough to make it into the Top 2 some years. In 2021, we would've been.

I don't know if it means less teams will be in the hunt, but it definitely takes away an advantage we had. Plus I think it's a bit silly conceptually. With divisions, the winners play each other. With no divisions, it's like: You finished in first place in the conference, but let's play a championship just to see if you can win that, too.

0% chance, hope you understand that. People love filling out brackets and everyone involved wants the certainty of knowing what time their games will be played.

Reactions: FireballZ
Not really. This past season there would have been 5 ACC teams alive to make the Top 2 going into the final 2 weeks of the season.

There's no reason Pitt can't be good enough to make it into the Top 2 some years. In 2021, we would've been.
I still think they do with the hopes of giving teams like Pitt and lesser "name brand" teams a reduced chance to get in.

I still think they do with the hopes of giving teams like Pitt and lesser "name brand" teams a reduced chance to get in.
Now the two teams playing for the conference championship will have undoubtedly been the two best in the league that season. That's how it should be.

Not to
Mention it’s impossible from a logistics perspective when you have a game in two days

If all 8 went to 1 pod like they did up until 2002 or so, logistics wouldn't be an issue. But it would end all the bracket challenges and that's why most people watch March Madness so it'll never happen.

See, this is where you just don't get it. The ACC has a conference within the conference. But the SEC has a conference around the conference. And the Big 12 has a conference intertwined with the conference. And the Big Ten has a conference threaded through the conference. The PAC12 has a conference of champions within a conference of mediocrity.

You really need to keep these things straight.

See, this is where you just don't get it. The ACC has a conference within the conference. But the SEC has a conference around the conference. And the Big 12 has a conference intertwined with the conference. And the Big Ten has a conference threaded through the conference. The PAC12 has a conference of champions within a conference of mediocrity.

You really need to keep these things straight.

The SEC has the SEC 1 and SEC 13. Ky is making the NCAAT 9 times out of 10. B12 2 (KU, Baylor) and B12 8. The B10 is really balanced usually with no true blue blood programs, hence why they haven't won a NC in a generation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT