ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketolgy update thread

Take away the Big 12 though and what's the ACC's record? The ACC is similar to B10, SEC, etc and that's not because the ACC is good but those leagues have underperformed. There's really not an absolute clear #2
You may be right, these may be small differences but I think most people look more at the top and the SEC has the #2 and #4 AP poll teams right now where you have to go to #24 to get the second ranked ACC team.

You may be right, these may be small differences but I think most people look more at the top and the SEC has the #2 and #4 AP poll teams right now where you have to go to #24 to get the second ranked ACC team.

And I do think those leagues are better, just not substantially. It should be a greater difference given the level of coaches and money those leagues have

Back to bracketology, we talk a lot about Wake last year, which Pitt is in a better position of right now. However, Notre dame was 15-5 and still had to play in Dayton. Likely because of so many quad 1 losses, but really hope they pick up another quad 1. No quad 2s left until the ACC tourney probably.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Back to bracketology, we talk a lot about Wake last year, which Pitt is in a better position of right now. However, Notre dame was 15-5 and still had to play in Dayton. Likely because of so many quad 1 losses, but really hope they pick up another quad 1. No quad 2s left until the ACC tourney probably.

They were 21-10, SOS of 90 and only 3 Q1 and 3 Q2 wins going in.

Lets say we go 13-7 + 1 in ACCT. That would be 21-12, sos in the 60s probably and probably 9 Q1/2

I really don't care as long as we make the postseason. NCAA or NIT. Doesn't matter to me. I say this 1/30/23. My mind could change frequently, however.
I feel like the only route to miss now is a late season collapse (I think that's very unlikely in a senior heavy team with good chemistry.) But if it did happen again, it'd kill Capel's fan support.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I feel like the only route to miss now is a late season collapse (I think that's very unlikely in a senior heavy team with good chemistry.) But if it did happen again, it'd kill Capel's fan support.
I could see that if they had opened up ACC with a lot of Q3 and Q4. It would take multiple injuries at this point for them to miss out on at least NIT. That would be an epic fail. I just don’t see it and will gladly give Capel credit after I wanted him gone after the 1-3 start. If they beat Louisville at home that gets them to 16 wins (assuming no other wins) and no worse than 16-16 including first game tourney loss. Beating only ND, UL, BC, GT gets them to 19. Add FSU/Cuse for 20/21. Now if we were backloaded with NcST, Virginia, Duke, etc, I could see it, but they should get to at least 20 wins with this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atlanta Panther

True. After this kind of season and if Pitt somehow lost a lot of games in February and early March against inferior competition, the fans would turn on Capel big time. The Pete would be empty by the end of February. And there would be louder talk of firing Capel. But let's not go there and just enjoy each game as it comes.

First things first. Beat UNC!!

Syracuse
Do you enjoy always being wrong and making posts that are your opinion and portrayed as truth?

"The NCAA introduced NET Rankings in 2018, replacing RPI as the primary metric in building the NCAA Tournament bracket"

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...05/college-basketballs-net-rankings-explained
i think he means that the committee doesn’t just build the bracket off of the NET rankings the way that they often did with the RPI rankings. They use the NET as a tool to sort through resumes, but they don’t use the NET to analyze a team’s resume the way they did with the RPI.

Do you enjoy always being wrong and making posts that are your opinion and portrayed as truth?

"The NCAA introduced NET Rankings in 2018, replacing RPI as the primary metric in building the NCAA Tournament bracket"

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...05/college-basketballs-net-rankings-explained

Its just a sorting tool. I posted another article this weekend which stated your NET rank is barely considered.

"Since the NET rankings serve as the primary sorting tool for Division I men's basketball, they play an important role in establishing a team's resume."

I guess RPI was only supposed to be used as a sorting tool but we all know it wasnt as they seeded the field almost entirely off of it.....which they still do for olympic sports. On the Olympic board, I posted I was thrilled that we drew #1 seed Kentucky. They werent very good but they had the #1 RPI since they went undefeated in the mid-major Sun Belt. In NCAAB now, they truly dont look at your NET. Your overall record also isnt looked at much. Its your Quad Records, SOS, non-con SOS, and road record primarily.

Its just a sorting tool. I posted another article this weekend which stated your NET rank is barely considered.

"Since the NET rankings serve as the primary sorting tool for Division I men's basketball, they play an important role in establishing a team's resume."

I guess RPI was only supposed to be used as a sorting tool but we all know it wasnt as they seeded the field almost entirely off of it.....which they still do for olympic sports. On the Olympic board, I posted I was thrilled that we drew #1 seed Kentucky. They werent very good but they had the #1 RPI since they went undefeated in the mid-major Sun Belt. In NCAAB now, they truly dont look at your NET. Your overall record also isnt looked at much. Its your Quad Records, SOS, non-con SOS, and road record primarily.
Well my link is directly from the NCAA website stating it is the primary metric used. When you keep stating that Pitt's NET ranking is irrelevant you are wrong no matter how you try to spin it.

You are right it is a sorting tool; to determine the at large teams and help with their seeding. otherwise known at the primary measurement of who gets into the NCAA tournament.

Well my link is directly from the NCAA website stating it is the primary metric used. When you keep stating that Pitt's NET ranking is irrelevant you are wrong no matter how you try to spin it.

And mine is from CBS who is an NCAA partner and explains how the field is picked. It also explains Rutgers getting in and Wake out.

It’s kind of comical that one loss to FSU knocked us from the 9-11 line for a lot of people to out, but then two wins over wake and a clear tourney team in Miami gives them no boost?

Again; there is no argument for Pitt to be out at this point, or really even in the last 4 in.

It’s kind of comical that one loss to FSU knocked us from the 9-11 line for a lot of people to out, but then two wins over wake and a clear tourney team in Miami gives them no boost?

Again; there is no argument for Pitt to be out at this point, or really even in the last 4 in.

I think the Q4 loss hurts more than Q1/2 wins. So as stupid as it sounds, the biggest games the rest of the year are

1. Louisville
2. @ FSU (this will be a tough one)
3. GT
4. @ ND (another tough one on Mike Brey Night)
5. BC
6. Syr

A loss to any of those would be brutal and in all honesty, very little separates Pitt, ND, and FSU in talent. Pitt's probably only a 1-2 point favorite in those. Win those 6 and you're in.

Reactions: Patches_OHoulihan
If that's against the rule, as you say how am I supposed to know that?

You could pay attention.

Nah, sorry, that would take too much effort.

Why don't you write a 4 paragraph post lambasting Pittchagg for not having memorized all the rules behind college basketball broadcasting

Because he's smart enough to get it.

I could have a Supreme Court Justice write a ten page paper on college basketball and television contracts and after you read it you'd still have no idea what was going on, even though you've theoretically been paying some amount of attention to it for literally decades.

Reactions: Drew1208
Monday update

2nd to last team in
In 54 of 79 brackets

One them, Big Heartland has us as an 8 seed, #29 overall.

You could pay attention.

Nah, sorry, that would take too much effort.

Because he's smart enough to get it.

I could have a Supreme Court Justice write a ten page paper on college basketball and television contracts and after you read it you'd still have no idea what was going on, even though you've theoretically been paying some amount of attention to it for literally decades.
I wouldn't read it. I don't care. I watch all of the Pitt basketball games and that's 90% of my watching of college basketball. I have no need for knowing about college basketball and television contracts, my DVR is set to record every Pitt game, so a reminder pops up, so I don't even need to look up Pitt's schedule-my smart TV tells me when the Pitt games are going to be on. Why would I ever need to know the details of college basketball TV contracts? There has absolutely been no reason for me to want or need to know the details of college basketball TV contracts.

I wouldn't read it. I don't care. I watch all of the Pitt basketball games and that's 90% of my watching of college basketball. I have no need for knowing about college basketball and television contracts, my DVR is set to record every Pitt game, so a reminder pops up, so I don't even need to look up Pitt's schedule-my smart TV tells me when the Pitt games are going to be on. Why would I ever need to know the details of college basketball TV contracts? There has absolutely been no reason for me to want or need to know the details of college basketball TV contracts.

You don't have to know. You only need to pay attention.

Which I get is beyond you.

You don't have to know. You only need to pay attention.

Which I get is beyond you.
There's absolutely zero need to pay attention to the details of network TV contracts, beyond finding the Pitt game in my case, otherwise I don't care who gets shown where, all I did was say that an 11-10 team on primetime on FOX is not something you'd think people other than that team's fans would care to see, and you ATTACK ME because I don't spend time studying the ins and outs of basketball TV contracts. It's just a personal thing YOU AGAINST ME PERSONALLY, I doubt very many other people posting here know or care at all about the details of FOX's or anyone else's TV contracts or the rules of scheduling college basketball games, but you come on here like a DICK and try to portray it that I'm the only one who doesn't get it. others commented that they should have moved a different game into that slot, so apparently, they didn't read the contract either, like 99% of the general public didn't. Hardly anyone else knows that stuff and they don't care either.

Last edited:
I think the Q4 loss hurts more than Q1/2 wins. So as stupid as it sounds, the biggest games the rest of the year are

1. Louisville
2. @ FSU (this will be a tough one)
3. GT
4. @ ND (another tough one on Mike Brey Night)
5. BC
6. Syr

A loss to any of those would be brutal and in all honesty, very little separates Pitt, ND, and FSU in talent. Pitt's probably only a 1-2 point favorite in those. Win those 6 and you're in.
". . . very little separates Pitt, ND, and FSU in talent."

While this statement may be true---Talent, itself, isn't the primary factor in determining likely scoring margins. What is that factor is how well that talent is meshed into playing as a team vs as individuals. Various computer rankings/ratings predict scoring margins in that more realistic way--measuring how the talent is playing as a team

As one example, Sagarin's computer's "recent ratings" predict your six games approximately (rounding to the nearest 0.5 points) as follows:

1. Louisville--- Pitt by 17
2. @ FSU---Pitt by 2.5
3. GT---Pitt by 14
4. @ ND---Pitt by 5.5
5. BC---Pitt by 11
6. Syr---Pitt by 4.5

At this time, at least, the only one of ND and FSU that comes close to your prediction of Piit only being a 1-2 point favorite is @FSU (2.5). That being said, Pitt, or any other team could lose if their opponent goes off and shoot's lights-out on 3-balls as FSU did at Pitt.

And, for what it's worth---

@UNC -- UNC by 6
@Va Tech---Va Tech by 2.5
@Miami---Miami by 4.5

And, Pitt could get really hot from 3-ball land and pull an upset in any one of these 3-games, of course.

There's absolutely zero need to pay attention to the details of network TV contracts, beyond finding the Pitt game in my case, otherwise I don't care who gets shown where, all I did was say that an 11-10 team on primetime on FOX is not something you'd think people other than that team's fans would care to see, and you ATTACK ME because I don't spend time studying the ins and outs of basketball TV contracts. It's just a personal thing YOU AGAINST ME PERSONALLY, I doubt very many other people posting here know or care at all about the details of FOX's or anyone else's TV contracts or the rules of scheduling college basketball games, but you come on here like a DICK and try to portray it that I'm the only one who doesn't get it. others commented that they should have moved a different game into that slot, so apparently, they didn't read the contract either, like 99% of the general public didn't. Hardly anyone else knows that stuff and they don't care either.
Details no
The general concept that networks buy rights to certain games and play those at certain times -
Yes

But doubling down on being loud and wrong seems to be your MO- instead of saying “thanks I didn’t know that and I understand now” like a normal adult

". . . very little separates Pitt, ND, and FSU in talent."

While this statement may be true---Talent, itself, isn't the primary factor in determining likely scoring margins. What is that factor is how well that talent is meshed into playing as a team vs as individuals. Various computer rankings/ratings predict scoring margins in that more realistic way--measuring how the talent is playing as a team

As one example, Sagarin's computer's "recent ratings" predict your six games approximately (rounding to the nearest 0.5 points) as follows:

1. Louisville--- Pitt by 17
2. @ FSU---Pitt by 2.5
3. GT---Pitt by 14
4. @ ND---Pitt by 5.5
5. BC---Pitt by 11
6. Syr---Pitt by 4.5

At this time, at least, the only one of ND and FSU that comes close to your prediction of Piit only being a 1-2 point favorite is @FSU (2.5). That being said, Pitt, or any other team could lose if their opponent goes off and shoot's lights-out on 3-balls as FSU did at Pitt.

And, for what it's worth---

@UNC -- UNC by 6
@Va Tech---Va Tech by 2.5
@Miami---Miami by 4.5

And, Pitt could get really hot from 3-ball land and pull an upset in any one of these 3-games, of course.

Yea, I get all that but it scares the crap out of me that some of these Q3 teams have just as much, if not more talent than us especially now that FSU has Baba Miller and he's playing well. Those FSU/ND games will likely come down to the last 2 minutes. Not ideal considering they are Q3 games.

Details no
The general concept that networks buy rights to certain games and play those at certain times -
Yes

But doubling down on being loud and wrong seems to be your MO- instead of saying “thanks I didn’t know that and I understand now” like a normal adult
But I know all that, I know FOX has B1G, I know ACC is on Espn or ACCN, that much I know, he's expecting me to know that you can't switch games to different times.

I KNOW Fox Sports has the Big East and B1G, I think ESPN has Big 12, I think CBS has SEC? But I never watch any of those league's games so not 100% sure. PAC12 no idea? But I'd never watch a PAC12 game so why would I look that up? He was going beyond that. Another poster chimed in and said, "Why not switch Michigan State vs. Purdue into that spot", so apparently, he didn't read the contract either, wow, he is really stupid and lazy not knowing all the details about what games can be switched etc.

But I know all that, I know FOX has B1G, I know ACC is on Espn or ACCN, that much I know, he's expecting me to know that you can't switch games to different times.

I KNOW Fox Sports has the Big East and B1G, I think ESPN has Big 12, I think CBS has SEC? But I never watch any of those league's games so not 100% sure. PAC12 no idea? But I'd never watch a PAC12 game so why would I look that up? He was going beyond that. Another poster chimed in and said, "Why not switch Michigan State vs. Purdue into that spot", so apparently, he didn't read the contract either, wow, he is really stupid and lazy not knowing all the details about what games can be switched etc.
So why are you befuddled and arguing ?

We should be about a 6-7 seed.

Meanwhile team ranking gives us like a 7% chance to make the dance

If there was any further proof none of these bracketologist know what they’re doing, We moved up 2 SEEDS beating a top 20 team at home according to Lunardi. And UPS moved up 2 Seed Lines beating Michigan

We should be about a 6-7 seed.

Meanwhile team ranking gives us like a 7% chance to make the dance

If there was any further proof none of these bracketologist know what they’re doing, We moved up 2 SEEDS beating a top 20 team at home according to Lunardi. And UPS moved up 2 Seed Lines beating Michigan

Team Rankings is predictive. They are probably factoring in a few Q3/4 losses which is certainly possible. We might be favored by 1 or 2 in Q3 games vs FSU and ND

So why are you befuddled and arguing ?
Because I'm being attacked for not know minute details, like you can't switch games, Or that games are scheduled before the season and can't be changed. I didn't know those details and others commenting here didn't either, yet A-Hole attacks me personally for not know these details. It happens in college football, so me and OTHERS thought you could swap another, better game into prime time. 99% of the population doesn't know are even care about this minutia. Yet A-Hole acts like the 99% that don't are somehow stupid?

I agree. 5 or 6 right now. You are smoking crack if you have us at a 10 or 11 after this.
8-6 Q 1/2 and can finish no worse then 8-9 if they lose first tourney game. 6-2 road and 6-4 including neutral; can do no worse than 6-7 if they lose first tourney game. They should be in for sure. Even another loss to FSU and still likely in. I just don’t know about the “bubble.” Is this considered a strong year or weak year? Maybe other teams have more chances to catch up, but Pitt has done more than enough to be solidly in the field up to this point. With that said, they have a favorable schedule and can move up seed lines if they take care of business. 15-5 is possible and likely enough for double bye at this point. Maybe 16-4 ties for conference title if Virginia loses some tougher remaining games.

Pittsburgh’s bounce-back from a terrible home loss to Florida State in January has been impressive. Since then, the Panthers have beaten Wake Forest and Miami and won at North Carolina to give themselves some breathing room from a bubble standpoint. Five of the Panthers’ next seven games are against teams currently ranked outside the top 150 of KenPom, which can be a double-edged sword: On one hand, the games are easier to navigate, but losses would be more damaging should the Panthers slip up. Avoiding another Q4 loss might be all it takes to get Pitt into the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: cabe23
2 of the 22 who updated Thursday have us out. 2 have us an 8 seed.

Overall, we're the 4th to last team in, just behind 2-7 WVU.

The problem this year is that the B12/B10 is grabbing up 15 at-large spots, leaving only 21 for everyone else. Add in the ACC "independents" (UNC, Duke, UVa) and that's only 18 for everyone else. BTW, UNC is a 7 on Bracket Matrix and I'm honestly not sure I'd have them in the tournament at all. Their resume is God awful. 1-6 Q1, 5-1 Q2, 2 road wins. We are 4-2, 4-4, 6 road wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT