ADVERTISEMENT

Brandin Knight

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
How is he not even getting interviews for lower D1 programs?

I want to see him at a MAAC type school

He might see a quicker path to a better job by staying on at Rutgers (if they continue to improve). Another few years of success as an assistant and he could land a decent mid-major job as opposed to something lower.

He might see a quicker path to a better job by staying on at Rutgers (if they continue to improve). Another few years of success as an assistant and he could land a decent mid-major job as opposed to something lower.
He is Pitt Coach in waiting.

Pitt will be looking to save money next go round. pick one of our own and hope to get lucky.

I think it will work.

He is Pitt Coach in waiting.

Pitt will be looking to save money next go round. pick one of our own and hope to get lucky.

I think it will work.

I'm not sure if that would be a wise decision given the lack of HC experience. Definitely would be a cheap option.

I'm not sure if that would be a wise decision given the lack of HC experience. Definitely would be a cheap option.
Retreads have not worked out well. Here and elsewhere.

Need to hire people on the rise.

I have no problem with hiring a head coach at a lower program and on the rise, just: No more retread failures.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Well for the 100th time from me, he isn't getting interviews because he isn't on anyone's radar.
How much on anyone’s radar was Mike Woodson before Indiana hired him?

Indiana hired Crean , then Miller. Did not work out. Returned to one of their own.

Pitt hired Stallings, then Capel. Has not worked out. Return to one of our own?

Hire people that understand school’s culture.

Indiana hired Crean , then Miller. Did not work out. Returned to one of their own.

There is no comparison between Woodson and Knight. Sorry.

What kind of logic is this? Yes, there have been a few notable instances in which hiring coaches who were successful at other P6 schools didn't work out. I'm sure you could find just as many, if not more, instances of it working out.

I know you're not an NBA fan, but wins and losses are mostly about players not coaches, though a good coach can definitely make the difference if you have the pieces in place. Mike Woodson was pretty respected in the NBA, did a decent job on the Hawks, who won a couple of playoff series with a balanced team lacking superstars. He has coached difficult players making tens of millions of dollars. He was a pro basketball player himself. He's not remotely like Brandin Knight (who may or may not turn out to be a good coach, we have no way of knowing yet.)

Reactions: Ski11585
Right. Woodson has a resume. A resume of failure. Knight doesn’t.

You are so qlueless. Mike Woodson was employed as either an assistant or head coach in the NBA for 25 consecutive years. He spent 9 of those years as a head coach and made the playoffs 5 times. He has a ring as an assistant. That is not a resume of failure, that is more career success than 99% of basketball coaches will ever see. Brandin Knight would kill to have that resume when he's 63.

Reactions: Parkview57
You are so qlueless. Mike Woodson was employed as either an assistant or head coach in the NBA for 25 consecutive years. He spent 9 of those years as a head coach and made the playoffs 5 times. He has a ring as an assistant. That is not a resume of failure, that is more career success than 99% of basketball coaches will ever see. Brandin Knight would kill to have that resume when he's 63.
.463 regular season. .391 playoffs - Not my definition of impressive or successful

How many teams make the playoffs again? 5 for 9 you say he was? Coached a NY team?

Last edited:
The last guy we hired w/o HC experience was pretty good.

There was a good bit of a difference though. Dixon sat first chair for Howland for years and inherited a top program in great shape that fit the game he coached. That won't be the case if Capel fails. It would be starting from scratch.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
There was a good bit of a difference though. Dixon sat first chair for Howland for years and inherited a top program in great shape that fit the game he coached. That won't be the case if Capel fails. It would be starting from scratch.
And maybe that would be a good thing. Build it “the Pitt way”.

• Haha
Reactions: cease10
.463 regular season. .391 playoffs - Not my definition of impressive or successful

How many teams make the playoffs again? 5 for 9 you say he was? Coached a NY team?

Nobody cares about your definition, though. It's not a matter of debate that Mike Woodson is very successful. Brandin Knight isn't even on anybody's radar for a collegiate head coaching job and yet you're pining for him while trashing a guy who made the playoffs 55% of the time as an NBA coach with the Knicks and Hawks. I mean, the fact that you said "coached a New York team" as if you think that's some kind of gotcha is hilarious. The Knicks are a laughing stock, not a powerhouse. Those teams he coached consisted of Carmelo and a bunch of trash. Amar'e Stoudemire was already broken by the time Woodson was hired and the next best players on those teams were Jeremy Lin and JR Smith. Why do you speak so confidently about things that you know nothing about? Stay in your lane, GaryQ.

Gary, check out Bill Fitch and Chuck Daly's record on the Cavs. Then compare to how they did at Boston and Detroit. Your w/l is about your players in the NBA.

I'd like to see this.
Greer has rose up the ranks very fast but I never had him pegged as a future coach. Knight, Woodall, JP (he was on that path for awhile), Lamar Patterson, guys like that I could see. I dont know what it was but I never saw Greer as a coach. But only a few years after pro retirement, he's in basically the same spot as Brandin Knight so he's gotta be doing something right

Greer has rose up the ranks very fast but I never had him pegged as a future coach. Knight, Woodall, JP (he was on that path for awhile), Lamar Patterson, guys like that I could see. I dont know what it was but I never saw Greer as a coach. But only a few years after pro retirement, he's in basically the same spot as Brandin Knight so he's gotta be doing something right
Given we've failed with Stallings and Capel, I am willing to throw caution to the wind and give Knight a try. But given that he's plateaued his career for a decade now, I am pretty intrigued by Greer as an alternative.

Unless Knight is legitimately not good at his job, I can only conclude that he doesn't have much interest in becoming a HC. He lobbied for the job back in 2016. Based on how poorly any intelligent person knew the Stallings tenure would be, Knight certainly could've positioned himself to be a logical choice within a few years. Things are trending upward at RU but he seems disinterested in job hopping. Meanwhile Greer is all over the eastern time zone.

Given we've failed with Stallings and Capel, I am willing to throw caution to the wind and give Knight a try. But given that he's plateaued his career for a decade now, I am pretty intrigued by Greer as an alternative.

Unless Knight is legitimately not good at his job, I can only conclude that he doesn't have much interest in becoming a HC. He lobbied for the job back in 2016. Based on how poorly any intelligent person knew the Stallings tenure would be, Knight certainly could've positioned himself to be a logical choice within a few years. Things are trending upward at RU but he seems disinterested in job hopping. Meanwhile Greer is all over the eastern time zone.
Did Pitt already move on from JC ?

Its extremely concerning to me that he seems content in being 3rd chair at effing Rutgers. A guy like that should be interviewing for every mid-major job this side of the Mississippi. I'm not even sure he's EVER even had 1 HC interview.

However, if Capel is fired in a few years, I would be willing to try something different with Knight or Greer contingent upon them having ALREADY having a highly paid big-time staff in place. Like pay the HC $1 million/year and hire 2 assistants right at that million dollar mark.

To be fair, Stallings Years 4-6 going into Year 7 wouldn't have been much worse and possibly may have been better.

That's not fair. There's no way to know. Hell, he might have won a national championship. Or he might have had four straight 0 win ACC seasons. Conjecture does not equal fact.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
That's not fair. There's no way to know. Hell, he might have won a national championship. Or he might have had four straight 0 win ACC seasons. Conjecture does not equal fact.
Correct. Just saying its not difficult to have won 15 ACC games these last 3 years. He had a decent team coming back with Carr, Stewart, JWF, Luther, and Golden. They very well could have won 3 or more.

And going into Year 4, Capel still hasn't improved upon Stallings's Center recruits of Kene and Brown. In fact, I'd take the Great Chukwuka back in a heartbeat.

• Haha
Reactions: PITT92DOG
Very intellectual take. Methinks your emotions know better.

Correct. Just saying its not difficult to have won 15 ACC games these last 3 years. He had a decent team coming back with Carr, Stewart, JWF, Luther, and Golden. They very well could have won 3 or more.

And going into Year 4, Capel still hasn't improved upon Stallings's Center recruits of Kene and Brown. In fact, I'd take the Great Chukwuka back in a heartbeat.
Maybe Stallings would be having better luck re-recruiting players he missed on the first go round.

Correct. Just saying its not difficult to have won 15 ACC games these last 3 years.

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

We can say they've both been awful.

Reactions: rockypanther
Very intellectual take. Methinks your emotions know better.

Oh ... don't get me wrong. I completely believe Sleepy Kev had to go. But he's gone. Let's not use anything about what he may or may not have done as facts in any kind of argument about what currently happening.

Oh ... don't get me wrong. I completely believe Sleepy Kev had to go. But he's gone. Let's not use anything about what he may or may not have done as facts in any kind of argument about what currently happening.
I agree he needed to go. I said he should have been fired after Year 1. My logic at the time was that it was blatantly obvious he was going to be fired after Year 2 so might as well "correct the mistake" and fire him after Year 1. That said, I hate it when I hear people say things like "man, can you imagine if Stallings were still here" or "Capel sure dug us out of Stallings's mess." No. Stallings was terrible and Capel has been as well. Capel has been less terrible but that's nothing to celebrate. Stallings may have been less terrible had he stayed 3 more years also

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT