ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Armstrong and Phil

tetonpanther

Freshman
Sep 26, 2005
Armstrong transferred to NCSt. After a good career at UVA. He damn near beat us in 2021 . Butblike Phil he lost his mojo and has been benched

always had a weird shotput delivery, almost like Hartman but more profound. Obviously it is working for Hartman though. I always thought Armstrong was not good even when he was throwing 400 yards against us in '21..

frankly, im surprised at Hartman's success at Notre dame..

always had a weird shotput delivery, almost like Hartman but more profound. Obviously it is working for Hartman though. I always thought Armstrong was not good even when he was throwing 400 yards against us in '21..

Hartman is surrounded by MUCH BETTER talent at ND than he was at Wake Forest. And the Irish have still managed to lose two games in which they scored only 14 and 20 points, respectively.

In particular ND‘s offensive line, running game and TE play are miles ahead of anything Hartman had around him at Wake Forest. Maybe the performance against Southern Cal will jump start both Hartman and the Irish? Have to wait and see.

Reactions: FireballZ
Hartman is surrounded by MUCH BETTER talent at ND than he was at Wake Forest. And the Irish have still managed to lose two games in which they scored only 14 and 20 points, respectively.

In particular ND‘s offensive line, running game and TE play are miles ahead of anything Hartman had around him at Wake Forest. Maybe the performance against Southern Cal will jump start both Hartman and the Irish? Have to wait and see.
Agree about the positions you mentioned. Outside receivers though were much better at Wake.

Agree about the positions you mentioned. Outside receivers though were much better at Wake.
Yeah, very different style of offense between the two programs and very different personnel deployment and usage.

It was a bit surprising to me that Hartman opted to go to a system like ND uses. Maybe he felt a significantly better OL would enhance his chances to excel? Give him a better chance to showcase his passing abilities for a shot at the NFL?

Sam is not a big, strapping physical guy. He’s more of a finesse quarterback. But with adequate protection, he has serviceable arm talent to be able to put the ball on the money.

He's really not. The receivers at Wake could run circles around who he is throwing to right now.

The O line is better, but they got absolutely mauled against Duke and Louisville (and possibly OSU, but I didn't see that game)... so they haven't exactly consistently played like it.

He's really not. The receivers at Wake could run circles around who he is throwing to right now.

The O line is better, but they got absolutely mauled against Duke and Louisville (and possibly OSU, but I didn't see that game)... so they haven't exactly consistently played like it.
Pressure is a quarterback killer. Particularly for guys with the stature and arm strength of Hartman. You saw that in the ACC championship game when Pitt literally beat Hartman up and drove him to the bench. That is not nearly as likely to happen to him this year.

Armstrong never had a big arm and the Cavs didn't throw deep a lot, especially compared to Hartman at WF. He could put the ball where he wanted and was money on the short and medium routes.
He made a living off his instincts outside the pocket. He was a gamer and played with a ton of confidence. He's just not the same player he was back in 21, for whatever reason.

I thought the reunion with Anae would work out a lot better than it has.

Pressure is a quarterback killer. Particularly for guys with the stature and arm strength of Hartman. You saw that in the ACC championship game when Pitt literally beat Hartman up and drove him to the bench. That is not nearly as likely to happen to him this year.

I agree his line should be a lot better in theory. But I'm saying I watched them get mostly blasted against Duke and Louisville. Both were in the backfield all night (Louisville got 5 sacks and, while Duke only had 2, they were still back there quite a bit). So whether the OL isn't always performing well in pass-blocking situations or his lack of receiving play makers is having a trickle down effect, I just don't think he's surrounded by quite the embarrassment of riches one might expect at a blue blood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT