ADVERTISEMENT

Burton eligible

I was under the impression this was his last season of eligibility. Awesome news! Hope we get the Wichita state version of Jamarius.
Yeah - Per Pitt’s release when they announced the transfer, he has 2 years eligibility left .

Reactions: rockypanther
I looked up his stats
and playing time. He
basically sat behind
five guards who had
more minutes pg than
he did at T.Tech. He
did play 19mpg, but
at W.ST he started
and led the team
with 27minutes pg.

He was never a factor
at TT. At W.ST he often
scored 10-16 pts, especially
early and the middle part
of the season. He missed
a few games (injury?) and
tailed off towards the end.
10.3ppg for the season.

I didn't think much about
him before. Now I would
guess he will get real time
here and be a big part of
the guard/wing rotation.

I looked up his stats
and playing time. He
basically sat behind
five guards who had
more minutes pg than
he did at T.Tech. He
did play 19mpg, but
at W.ST he started
and led the team
with 27minutes pg.

He was never a factor
at TT. At W.ST he often
scored 10-16 pts, especially
early and the middle part
of the season. He missed
a few games (injury?) and
tailed off towards the end.
10.3ppg for the season.

I didn't think much about
him before. Now I would
guess he will get real time
here and be a big part of
the guard/wing rotation.

All aspects considered, next years guards and bigs will be Capel’s best at Pitt. Finding production from the wings will be the toughest lift imo.

What should we be expecting from Burton?

burton.png

Reactions: VincePITT
As a group I agree, it
will be Capel's "best
at Pitt." As far as the
"wings." it'll depend
IMO on a number of
things. Is there one
or two who can step
up. We have numbers
at guard. Odukale,
Horton, Sibande, and
Burton are true guards.
If we go small, one of
them could go to a wing.
What would be better,
is having Jeffress, Collier,
or Payton seize a wing
spot and play it well. I
personally think Jeffress
has the talent for this, is
he ready yet? Collier has
not showed much yet,
and Payton is an uknown
at this point. We'll see.

Reactions: BPKY
Get off X’s jock. Femi is already better.😂
Coach didn’t agree. And that’s just not even close to accurate.
The guy who kept getting benched for his erratic play?
The guy who was 2nd in assists per game in the ACC with no big man to finish for him. If he was so bad after 3 years of Capel’s coaching and he wouldn’t bench him for Femi….

Future looks bright!!!

You can’t possibly argue that subtracting your best and most productive player for a guy who averaged 4 PPG is “their best backcourt ever”. There’s one known commodity in the backcourt and that’s Horton.

The guy who was 2nd in assists per game in the ACC with no big man to finish for him. If he was so bad after 3 years of Capel’s coaching and he wouldn’t bench him for Femi….

Future looks bright!!!

You can’t possibly argue that subtracting your best and most productive player for a guy who averaged 4 PPG is “their best backcourt ever”. There’s one known commodity in the backcourt and that’s Horton.
Known as the worst of the top 4?

Future looks bright!!!

X was a talent but if I’m trying to win games I’d take Femi over him. He stuffed the stat sheet but he also had free will over the entire offense. Again, very talented and checks a lot of boxes but he was ultra aggressive. He can’t control pace. Doesn’t really have a feel in big situations.

I’ve always been a big X apologist and if he has a semi formidable shot this year, he’ll get a look in the nba. He’s way too athletic not to. I just don’t think his style, which is thinking he’s the best player on the floor, translates to winning basketball. He came to Pitt and was touted as the guy, and it never left him. He was never challenged for the position until later this year and it was clear who was better.

X was a talent but if I’m trying to win games I’d take Femi over him. He stuffed the stat sheet but he also had free will over the entire offense. Again, very talented and checks a lot of boxes but he was ultra aggressive. He can’t control pace. Doesn’t really have a feel in big situations.

I’ve always been a big X apologist and if he has a semi formidable shot this year, he’ll get a look in the nba. He’s way too athletic not to. I just don’t think his style, which is thinking he’s the best player on the floor, translates to winning basketball. He came to Pitt and was touted as the guy, and it never left him. He was never challenged for the position until later this year and it was clear who was better.
Lol. They won 1 game without X. I’ll trust the coaches at Indiana, Baylor and Houston over those on this board who are mad the coach let XJ do whatever he wanted for 2 years then supposedly tried to finally run an offense? How do you know that wasn’t the offense?

I don’t think he’s an NBA level guy but he’s a damn good college player who is gonna excel at Indiana

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I just feel this season’s squad is gonna let their nuts hang and play with way more jam.

• Haha
Reactions: Drew1208

Future looks bright!!!

Do you agree with the following:

Healthy So Femi will be better than recuperating Fr Femi. (Hint yes)

Jr Horton will be better than So rusty Horton (again same hint).

Sr Nike will be better than stale late be approved Nike (again).

We should be 3 for 3 at this point.

Is there any chance that So Drumgoole will have been better than Fr Santos (tough to see this one).

You are left with X and Ezeakudo verses Burton and Ezeakudo.

Even if you go all homer and ignore X's flaws- this isn't that far off considering Burton averaged 10.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game as a So.

So yeah, top to bottom all aspects of their games considered- this will be Capel’s best group of guards at Pitt.

Go Soph X, Trey and Ryan if you want but they would be 3rd on this list.

Reactions: H2PisIT
Do you agree with the following:

Healthy So Femi will be better than recuperating Fr Femi. (Hint yes)

Jr Horton will be better than So rusty Horton (again same hint).

Sr Nike will be better than stale late be approved Nike (again).

We should be 3 for 3 at this point.

Is there any chance that So Drumgoole will have been better than Fr Santos (tough to see this one).

You are left with X and Ezeakudo verses Burton and Ezeakudo.

Even if you go all homer and ignore X's flaws- this isn't that far off considering Burton averaged 10.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game as a So.

So yeah, top to bottom all aspects of their games considered- this will be Capel’s best group of guards at Pitt.

Go Soph X, Trey and Ryan if you want but they would be 3rd on this list.
So you’re going through all of this then take Burton’s stats from a MM conference over his stats from a HM conference which are more recent? Cmon man you almost had me.

I think Horton’s play dropped off significantly with Femi/Nike playing more so I don’t think it’s a given he’s going to be better. If you remember, he was extremely frustrated at the end of the year to the point a transfer was thought was gonna happen.

Overall, you make some good points… however I’m skeptical of anything Femi or Nike did as an afterthought on the scouting report or probably not on it at all in Nike’s case. As I said previously, the only one you think you know for sure what you have on is Horton because he did average 9 a game for an entire season. The others showed flashes but as I just stated they weren’t the focal points of a defense/game plan yet.

One of the things XJ did NOT do well was understand and adapt to what everyone knew about him. He was a known commodity by the time this year came around, which is what’s gonna happen to these other guys. Maybe they’ll have a better counterpunch, but until we see it we have no idea. So my opinion is based on what we know and not projections.

I was one of XJ’s biggest defenders on here but his loss is really whatever. Femi is worse in some areas but also better in others and a better teammate, leader, etc. Just became clear it wasn’t going to work here with X.

Just wish we had Toney and/or Champ. Femi, Horton, Champ, Toney, Hugley would have been nice and at least pretty competitive.

Burton, Nike and Odukale all are better than Horton.
Based on what exactly? A few games where they played ok at the end of the season when no one knew who the hell they were? And Burton averaged 4 a game in a big boy conference.

Horton is limited but started more games than any of them and averaged 9 a game. He’s the only known quantity in the group.

I’m sure you really dug into synergy to watch all of Burton’s games from Wichita State and Texas Tech to come home with this take.

Based on what exactly? A few games where they played ok at the end of the season when no one knew who the hell they were? And Burton averaged 4 a game in a big boy conference.

Horton is limited but started more games than any of them and averaged 9 a game. He’s the only known quantity in the group.

I’m sure you really dug into synergy to watch all of Burton’s games from Wichita State and Texas Tech to come home with this take.

I think Femi is a stud in the right circumstances.. like on an old Pitt team. But on a team with limited scoring, I’m still not sold on the fact he’ll be able to maintain his production level all year in the ACC… unless maybe he shoots well as he’s more healthy who knows. I do think it’s a pretty sure thing Femi is consistently solid. I’m way more unsure about Nike, Burton, and to some extent Horton. Horton at least has one above average skill that always plays. I think Nike may have just got hot in a late stretch of the season when it didn’t really matter but I hope it carries over.

So you’re going through all of this then take Burton’s stats from a MM conference over his stats from a HM conference which are more recent? Cmon man you almost had me.

I think Horton’s play dropped off significantly with Femi/Nike playing more so I don’t think it’s a given he’s going to be better. If you remember, he was extremely frustrated at the end of the year to the point a transfer was thought was gonna happen.

Overall, you make some good points… however I’m skeptical of anything Femi or Nike did as an afterthought on the scouting report or probably not on it at all in Nike’s case. As I said previously, the only one you think you know for sure what you have on is Horton because he did average 9 a game for an entire season. The others showed flashes but as I just stated they weren’t the focal points of a defense/game plan yet.

One of the things XJ did NOT do well was understand and adapt to what everyone knew about him. He was a known commodity by the time this year came around, which is what’s gonna happen to these other guys. Maybe they’ll have a better counterpunch, but until we see it we have no idea. So my opinion is based on what we know and not projections.
Burton's time at TT looks like a lot like Nike's. He was expecting to RS and lead TT for 2 years but what does Chris Beard know about talent.

I think Femi is a stud in the right circumstances.. like on an old Pitt team. But on a team with limited scoring, I’m still not sold on the fact he’ll be able to maintain his production level all year in the ACC… unless maybe he shoots well as he’s more healthy who knows. I do think it’s a pretty sure thing Femi is consistently solid. I’m way more unsure about Nike, Burton, and to some extent Horton. Horton at least has one above average skill that always plays. I think Nike may have just got hot in a late stretch of the season when it didn’t really matter but I hope it carries over.
Nike has a history as a scorer.

Burton's time at TT looks like a lot like Nike's. He was expecting to RS and lead TT for 2 years but what does Chris Beard know about talent.

A lot.. and he didn’t play him. Not playing for a coach who took a transfer isn’t some indictment that you think it is.

Thank you for the first objective post I’ve seen about the guards

A lot.. and he didn’t play him. Not playing for a coach who took a transfer isn’t some indictment that you think it is.
Serious question - Do you think X playing 27 minutes with a freshman coming off of a broken arm and a walkon backing him on a not very good Pitt makes him great but Burton playing 19 minutes on a pretty talented team TT team means he sucks?

Cheers to whatever you're drinking tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
Serious question - Do you think X playing 27 minutes with a freshman coming off of a broken arm and a walkon backing him on a not very good Pitt makes him great but Burton playing 19 minutes on a pretty talented team TT team means he sucks?

He averaged 4 PPG. I’m sorry you can find a any guard in the transfer portal that can get 2 buckets a game in 19 minutes. If you’re expecting more from him than that, not sure what to tell you. XJ averaged 5.9 assists per game with one guy who could catch and shoot and one guy who could finish in an offense designed for him to drive and dish. With a competent big this year, namely a player of the year candidate, he’ll average probably 7 a game and have his lowest point total but his best year.

Wednesday’s are my happy hour nights. Completely sober tonight! Had pointless Summer league championships to watch tonight!

Serious question - Do you think X playing 27 minutes with a freshman coming off of a broken arm and a walkon backing him on a not very good Pitt makes him great but Burton playing 19 minutes on pretty talented team TT team means he sucks?

Burton will provide the team with solid production as a role player at the 1-2-3. He played at a major conference team in the Big 12 last year for a top 20 Nationally rated team with a Top 20 Nationally rated defense. The 2 years at Wichita State that he played, Wichita State played a Top 60 and Top 80 Nationally rated schedule both years. That's in line with what a number of ACC teams play for a whole season in terms of schedule strength. Wichita State was regularly playing teams like West Virginia, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Houston, Memphis, Uconn, etc... They played more than enough solid teams both years.

Burton has hovered around 95-100 ORTG offensive rating 3 straight years in a row. What Burton is, what I said before, is he is both solid and consistent, on offense and on defense. He is versatile in that we can use him at multiple positions as a key depth piece for 20 minutes a game or so while getting consistent production out of him. He is more than good enough to be a key reserve player on both ends of the floor on an NCAA Tournament team, which is what he was at Texas Tech. And he is more than good enough to provide solid mid range shooting at a consistent level which he has shown over 3 years.

As of today, I have him as Femi's backup while also eating into Will Jeffress's minutes next year at the 3. Simply put, unless Jeffress improves a lot between now and next season, he simply is not near as good as Burton, yet. The same can be said for Drumgoole and Ezeakudo who he would have taken all their minutes too. I expect Burton to be at 100 ORTG next year and around 6-7 points per game as a backup player. This isn't a homerun recruit who is going to score 15 points per game and be all conference. What Burton is, is a really solid depth piece on offense and defense that can get it done consistently. And considering what our depth has been for years now and how bad it has been, he is quite a good addition filling in the gaps of our team needs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT