ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tallahassee.com/amp/927478001

Interesting buyout information. If Willie Taggart is fired, he is owed 85% of the remaining money left on the contract, paid monthly.

As we know (though some people think), buyouts never equal the full amount left unless Scott Barnes is drawing them up. Perhaps Narduzzi's is much lower as a percentage than Taggart's.

I still think he gets another year at 3-9 but if this team loses out and goes 2-10, 1-10 vs FBS teams, there isn't a choice

Interesting buyout information. If Willie Taggart is fired, he is owed 85% of the remaining money left on the contract, paid monthly.

As we know (though some people think), buyouts never equal the full amount left unless Scott Barnes is drawing them up. Perhaps Narduzzi's is much lower as a percentage than Taggart's.

I still think he gets another year at 3-9 but if this team loses out and goes 2-10, 1-10 vs FBS teams, there isn't a choice
Pitt probably got screwed over on the deal like they always do. My guess is we end up around 3-9 this year. Next year we go 5-7. Things continue to get worse between PN, the media, and the fans. We get blasted by PS again next year. We end up paying a large buyout to PN after next season. PN blasts Pitt on the way out the door. We end up hiring some 50 year old first time HC. We continue middling along. In the meantime PS makes the CFP and wins a national title before we win 10 games in a season. Mark it down.

Last edited:
We are all experiencing frustration with the program right now. Much of what you say isn't necessarily going to happen. I'll say this...the current Athletic Director has shown she won't just go along with the flow. She has removed longtime and/or popular coaches along with underperforming coaches...and has made some quality hires. We will see how the hires play out but on the soccer side you have to be at least impressed with the pedigree brought in.
If this team goes 3-9 I don't see HCPN surviving. Today's college football is big business...she won't wait. The thing that is intriguing is she about Like is she may go after a top assistant, an up and coming HC from a lower program or a former HC who had achieved success at other locations. So a Brent Venables DC at Clemson,a Scott Satterfield HC at APP St. or even a Bob Stoops could be considered.
Just 8 months ago everyone was doing the math on Stallings...empty seats means empty donations...if she has to pull the trigger she will.
I have some hope she can identify a good fit based other track record.

I really should avoid these types of conversations at this point, but what the heck I’ll play along.....

I’m curious as to why you’re convinced 3-9 saves him
Both are abysmal records

Would it matter if he’s 2-10, but most of the games are still close, as compared to 3-9 but every game is a blowout save for a fluke win?

I really should avoid these types of conversations at this point, but what the heck I’ll play along.....

I’m curious as to why you’re convinced 3-9 saves him
Both are abysmal records

Would it matter if he’s 2-10, but most of the games are still close, as compared to 3-9 but every game is a blowout save for a fluke win?

There has to be a line somewhere. If 3-9 doesn't save him, does 4-8? 5-7?

Some think he will be here even at 2-10. To me, you can only get rid of him if the season is historically bad. 1-10 vs the FBS qualifies as that. 2-9 vs the FBS, still very bad but the contract is long enough that you decide to give him one more year after you puke a little bit

Reactions: paulbl99
Why are they playing AT Old Dominion?

Some think he will be here even at 2-10. To me, you can only get rid of him if the season is historically bad. 1-10 vs the FBS qualifies as that. 2-9 vs the FBS, still very bad but the contract is long enough that you decide to give him one more year after you puke a little bit

There may be a line but more important will be watching if this team continues to go out and fight and starts to improve. They could do that and still lose a lot of games.

If the losses are embarrassing....say by 40 at ND, 35 at Miami and 40 at UCF, hell.....Syracuse can hang 40 on this defense.

What difference does it make if 2-10, 3-9, or 4-7?

Blowout losses say one thing. The team has quit.

If they stop playing for Narduzzi what is the point in keeping him?

Reactions: paulbl99

If he can’t make a bowl game this year, that has to be the line. This team is embarrassing, the defense put up zero fight whatsoever against the worst ACC team the conference has seen in years. So if he doesn’t think it’s fair they finish 5-7 with a bunch of losses to Good teams, maybe he should’ve beat this garbage team.

To not even make a bowl in year 4 when our division is so incredibly weak is almost unfathomable. 6 wins and he gets another year, but the seat is warm. If he wins 5 or less and isn’t gone, well nobody will even be there to witness the repeat of majors II so who cares, pitt obviously doesn’t.

If he can’t make a bowl game this year, that has to be the line. This team is embarrassing, the defense put up zero fight whatsoever against the worst ACC team the conference has seen in years. So if he doesn’t think it’s fair they finish 5-7 with a bunch of losses to Good teams, maybe he should’ve beat this garbage team.

To not even make a bowl in year 4 when our division is so incredibly weak is almost unfathomable. 6 wins and he gets another year, but the seat is warm. If he wins 5 or less and isn’t gone, well nobody will even be there to witness the repeat of majors II so who cares, pitt obviously doesn’t.

5-7 isnt the worst coaching job. Its doing what Vegas predicted. There is no way he is fired for that with that many years left. He would at least get another year.

5-7 isnt the worst coaching job. Its doing what Vegas predicted. There is no way he is fired for that with that many years left. He would at least get another year.

I would be one of the lucky few to get a push on my season win total if they go 5-7. Most got stuck with 5.5.

Certainly haven’t given up on it yet but the path has become much tougher after yesterday’s result.

I would be one of the lucky few to get a push on my season win total if they go 5-7. Most got stuck with 5.5.

Certainly haven’t given up on it yet but the path has become much tougher after yesterday’s result.
I have them at 5.5. Still think they get to 6-6.

I have them at 5.5. Still think they get to 6-6.

I paid -125 to get that 5 and they went to -135 after that. Sat there for most of the summer.

I kind of agree with you that there are wins out there. They’re not going 2-10, like most teams they will have their ups and downs, 6-6 not out of the question yet by any means.

Reactions: ThePanthers

His job shouldn't be saved by meeting Vegas' expectation. The question should be: WHY is 5-7 Vegas' expectation in year 4 with an incredibly weak division? But ultimately, I agree. 5-7 will save his job because of the years left on his contract.

You think UNC is the worst ACC team in years?

It’s 2018, not exactly “challenging” to make a bowl game. Add to that what’s been a really good ACC lately, is bad this year. It’s his 4th year and recruiting is not on the upswing, what you see is what you’ll get for the most part. You’re right that the extension probably keeps him his job, but it shouldn’t.

We’re not talking about a team that has gotten significantly better, we’re talking a former defensive coordinator that has never figured out yet how to put anything out there but one of the worst defenses in the country.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
It’s 2018, not exactly “challenging” to make a bowl game. Add to that what’s been a really good ACC lately, is bad this year. It’s his 4th year and recruiting is not on the upswing, what you see is what you’ll get for the most part. You’re right that the extension probably keeps him his job, but it shouldn’t.

We’re not talking about a team that has gotten significantly better, we’re talking a former defensive coordinator that has never figured out yet how to put anything out there but one of the worst defenses in the country.

At 5-7, Narduzzi would have gone 5-4 against non-CFP contendors. 3 games are virtually unwinnable for 110 FBS teams. Pitt fans may not accept that but its true. If he had 1-2 years left on his contract, maybe then you make a move but no way you do it with 6 years left. He would at least deserve one more year to prove he is a capable head coach

At 5-7, Narduzzi would have gone 5-4 against non-CFP contendors. 3 games are virtually unwinnable for 110 FBS teams. Pitt fans may not accept that but its true. If he had 1-2 years left on his contract, maybe then you make a move but no way you do it with 6 years left. He would at least deserve one more year to prove he is a capable head coach
There’s a huge between 5-7 in year 2 or even 3 if you’re just not quite there, but you’re playing hard and losing to good teams. In year 4 to lose to UNC and your defense be so disgustingly pathetic.... again, what are we waiting to possibly see?

That was such a bad loss on Saturday, not to mention 0-4 against any conference foe should get you near the end of the line. Here’s the thing too, it was only 1 ACC loss this season, there is time to turn this around. If he can’t even keep them focused enough to win 4 more games, it is literally never happening.

You’re probably closer to reality than I am regarding this, I just don’t understand how that line of thinking is even reasonable on pitt’s part. We’re not asking to compete for championships immediately.... asking a former defensive coordinator in year 4 to simply not have one of the most pathetic defenses ever, AGAIN! is literally the lowest of expectations you’ll ever find as a head coach.

Pitt is flat out kidding themselves if they think they can miss a bowl game this year, play terrible defense, but then all of a sudden recruits start beating down the door to play here and narduzzi’s defensive scheme becomes good enough to win games.

There’s a huge between 5-7 in year 2 or even 3 if you’re just not quite there, but you’re playing hard and losing to good teams. In year 4 to lose to UNC and your defense be so disgustingly pathetic.... again, what are we waiting to possibly see?

That was such a bad loss on Saturday, not to mention 0-4 against any conference foe should get you near the end of the line. Here’s the thing too, it was only 1 ACC loss this season, there is time to turn this around. If he can’t even keep them focused enough to win 4 more games, it is literally never happening.

You’re probably closer to reality than I am regarding this, I just don’t understand how that line of thinking is even reasonable on pitt’s part. We’re not asking to compete for championships immediately.... asking a former defensive coordinator in year 4 to simply not have one of the most pathetic defenses ever, AGAIN! is literally the lowest of expectations you’ll ever find as a head coach.

Pitt is flat out kidding themselves if they think they can miss a bowl game this year, play terrible defense, but then all of a sudden recruits start beating down the door to play here and narduzzi’s defensive scheme becomes good enough to win games.

8-5, 8-5, 5-7, 5-7 is unacceptable. If the contract was up, it wouldn't be renewed. If it had 1-2 years left, he's probably gone. The reason he'd be back is the number of years left. I'm not saying 5-7 is acceptable by any means but you cant eat that much of a contract for going 5-4 against non-CFP contendors

Reactions: cashisking884
8-5, 8-5, 5-7, 5-7 is unacceptable. If the contract was up, it wouldn't be renewed. If it had 1-2 years left, he's probably gone. The reason he'd be back is the number of years left. I'm not saying 5-7 is acceptable by any means but you cant eat that much of a contract for going 5-4 against non-CFP contendors

What is the buyout? It could be 50 bucks, or 50 million lol. What's that answer?

We are all experiencing frustration with the program right now. Much of what you say isn't necessarily going to happen. I'll say this...the current Athletic Director has shown she won't just go along with the flow. She has removed longtime and/or popular coaches along with underperforming coaches...and has made some quality hires. We will see how the hires play out but on the soccer side you have to be at least impressed with the pedigree brought in.
If this team goes 3-9 I don't see HCPN surviving. Today's college football is big business...she won't wait. The thing that is intriguing is she about Like is she may go after a top assistant, an up and coming HC from a lower program or a former HC who had achieved success at other locations. So a Brent Venables DC at Clemson,a Scott Satterfield HC at APP St. or even a Bob Stoops could be considered.
Just 8 months ago everyone was doing the math on Stallings...empty seats means empty donations...if she has to pull the trigger she will.
I have some hope she can identify a good fit based other track record.
Lyke hung a long term extension noose on Pitt, whether it’s easier to get out, or she’s willing to cut ties rapidly as she did with other head coaches remains to be seen

Maybe some suit inside the Pitt Ath Department convinced Lyke 5-7 at Pitt has the same coveting power as 10-3 at nearly any other P5 program.

So this will be the obsession for at least another week? Fantasies of a new savior coach? I hope everyone realizes that in the Pitt paneled offices, they were barely aware there was even a game on Saturday and wouldn't even be thinking of the state of the program or coach until the final game. To their everlasting discredit for sure, but there it is.

Maybe Lyke has her "list" of prospects that all competent AD must have, but there wouldn't even be all valid names on it yet, this early in the season. As things go, some would be added, some drop off or move down and up. Plus, she's likely still in Finger and Toe Cross mode for what happens this year given the ink is still wet on the extension.

Lyke won't accept a 2-10 or 3-9 season. She wants and expects this Pitt team to at least have a winning record at season's end. I expect her to be looking at potential HC candidates if we're muddling along at 2-5 or 2-6 in mid-season, which we probably will be. Anything less than 7 wins this year is just unacceptable to her.

She pulled the trigger with Stallings because she saw the empty seats and saw the lack of results on the court. She is seeing the empty seats and lack of talent and coaching on the football side now, and football is supposed to be the most visible of the sports programs. I just don't see her waiting if this season pans out as it is expected to pan out.

Lyke won't accept a 2-10 or 3-9 season. She wants and expects this Pitt team to at least have a winning record at season's end. I expect her to be looking at potential HC candidates if we're muddling along at 2-5 or 2-6 in mid-season, which we probably will be. Anything less than 7 wins this year is just unacceptable to her.

She pulled the trigger with Stallings because she saw the empty seats and saw the lack of results on the court. She is seeing the empty seats and lack of talent and coaching on the football side now, and football is supposed to be the most visible of the sports programs. I just don't see her waiting if this season pans out as it is expected to pan out.

Enormous differences between Stallings and Narduzzi. I shouldn't have to explain.

- Narduzzi was a popular hire and was still very popular until last season. Stallings was hated from Day 1.

- Stallings wasn't Heather's guy, Narduzzi became that when she extended him.

- Stallings only had 4 years left. Narduzzi had 6.

- Stallings went 0-18. Narduzzi may win 1-3 ACC games.

- Its much easier to get real good real quick in basketball with the right coach. In football, there are way more obstacles for a school like Pitt

I'm not at all doubting this assertion, but I would be very interested if those who post here with supposed inside knowledge of Pitt operations could confirm if anyone other than Lyke (or even Lyke herself) would even have "replacing the football head coach we just extended") on their agenda right now, on Sept 24, with the team sitting at 2-2.

On their spreadsheet we won 2 of 3v home games and one of em drew a sellout. The only concern they might have about last Saturday was perhaps the travel cost spiked up due to storm issues.

And even if the rest of the season progresses poorly, I don't even know how you could have confidence to claim that they'd be thinking much about it on Nov 24 for that matter.

They just don't care nearly as much as we do.

If you think Lyke is anything like the last few dolts, you will be in for some surprises, especially if we dont hit 6 wins. She knows next year pushing season tickets will be as difficult as selling ice to eskimos. I dont know , but I am guessing the buyout was friendly to both parties, just did it to help recruiting, and that hasnt even happened.

I'm not a PN fan , but a total collaspe is probably the only way he's not back . There also needs to be hope for the future so KP and some of the younger guys need to show something . I was expecting a lot more this season I'm sure Heather was too .

If you think Lyke is anything like the last few dolts, you will be in for some surprises, especially if we dont hit 6 wins. She knows next year pushing season tickets will be as difficult as selling ice to eskimos. I dont know , but I am guessing the buyout was friendly to both parties, just did it to help recruiting, and that hasnt even happened.

I would bet any amount of money that he will be he will not be fired if he goes 5-7. I'm 100% certain.

LOL! Why? That's what they where saying about Narduzzi last month!

I wasn't, I was waiting to decide , this year was the year. Maybe he will turn it around and win out , or win 4 to get to a bowl. Just don't think that is possible.

I would absolutely agree with that. But also to look at it so simply I think is giving narduzzi almost too much credit. It’s not just going 5-7 again that would be the problem.

On top of that meaning they would miss a bowl game by 1 win, and you lost a game to a garbage team you should’ve slaughtered, the defense his entire tenure has not just been bad, it has been as pathetic as it could possibly get.

How much longer until pitt realizes they are waiting on a unicorn? His defensive scheme will never, ever succeed here. And if we miss a bowl game again, recruiting will get worse. Not to mention like in basketball, a half empty Heinz field is about to be a Morgue. That’s a problem.

I would absolutely agree with that. But also to look at it so simply I think is giving narduzzi almost too much credit. It’s not just going 5-7 again that would be the problem.

On top of that meaning they would miss a bowl game by 1 win, and you lost a game to a garbage team you should’ve slaughtered, the defense his entire tenure has not just been bad, it has been as pathetic as it could possibly get.

How much longer until pitt realizes they are waiting on a unicorn? His defensive scheme will never, ever succeed here. And if we miss a bowl game again, recruiting will get worse. Not to mention like in basketball, a half empty Heinz field is about to be a Morgue. That’s a problem.

To be fair, recruiting cant get much worse. There are only 11 P5 teams rated lower based on average star rank

Narduzzi is not getting fired if they go 5-7. He likely isn't getting fire regardless of what happens this season. And it's not because they "don't care".

I would bet any amount of money that he will be he will not be fired if he goes 5-7. I'm 100% certain.
Barring a scandal, he could go winless the rest of the year and he will not be fired. He just got an extension, his own players are just getting on the field, etc. etc. But if that happens and he goes sub .500 next year with more embarrassing losses, I would imagine his seat will go from warm to smoldering....

Reactions: ThePanthers
Barring a scandal, he could go winless the rest of the year and he will not be fired. He just got an extension, his own players are just getting on the field, etc. etc. But if that happens and he goes sub .500 next year with more embarrassing losses, I would imagine his seat will go from warm to smoldering....

Maybe though I think he's gone at 2-10. 5-7 this year and 5-7 next year and he's gone IF the 2020 recruiting class is anywhere as near as bad as 2019

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT