ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain to me

fnihost

Scholarship
May 23, 2003
I know I will get a bunch of responses about how many ways there are to watch Pitt play if you have Comcast and can’t get the ACCN. Sorry, but I haven’t done those things yet. That said, can someone explain to me why ATT Sportsnet in Pittsburgh would be carrying the Virginia Clemson game tonight instead of Pitt Notre Dame? Do they not want people to watch their channel?

That said, can someone explain to me why ATT Sportsnet in Pittsburgh would be carrying the Virginia Clemson game tonight instead of Pitt Notre Dame?

Because the Pitt game is on the ACC Network. The Virginia - Clemson game was syndicated to the regional sports networks, and AT&T picks up most of those games.

Reactions: levance2
I know I will get a bunch of responses about how many ways there are to watch Pitt play if you have Comcast and can’t get the ACCN. Sorry, but I haven’t done those things yet. That said, can someone explain to me why ATT Sportsnet in Pittsburgh would be carrying the Virginia Clemson game tonight instead of Pitt Notre Dame? Do they not want people to watch their channel?

The problem is Pitt I don't think they have a contract with AT&T network like the Bucs and Pens.

The problem is Pitt I don't think they have a contract with AT&T network like the Bucs and Pens.

Pitt doesn't have a contract with AT&T, but the ACC does, through the company that syndicates the games. But in this case that makes no difference, because the game is on the ACC network. His question is the equivalent of asking why AT&T isn't showing the Stiller game some Sunday when the game is on CBS, or why they aren't showing some Penguin game that is on NBC.

Of all people to want someone banned for stupidity! If stupidity was cause for removal, you would have been deported five years ago.

No sir

BTW, what else would you like ATTSN to show for you? Game of Thrones, Netflix shows? ATTSN doesn't televise things that are on, you know, other channels.

Pitt doesn't have a contract with AT&T, but the ACC does, through the company that syndicates the games. But in this case that makes no difference, because the game is on the ACC network. His question is the equivalent of asking why AT&T isn't showing the Stiller game some Sunday when the game is on CBS, or why they aren't showing some Penguin game that is on NBC.

Okay, mr. Philosopher. I think I know that I was just saying that because it would be nice if they did. So no need to be a smart A$$

Okay, mr. Philosopher. I think I know that I was just saying that because it would be nice if they did. So no need to be a smart A$$

But what difference does it make if Pitt has a contract with AT&T when the game is on a different channel? I'm not sure why this stuff seems to be so hard for people to understand.

And better to be a smart ass than a dumbass, I guess.

You never seen the Pens on AT&T and NBC dumbass. So in this instance if it would have been on both channels, he doesn't have ACC Network. He could have washed it dumbass So that's what the difference is.

But what difference does it make if Pitt has a contract with AT&T when the game is on a different channel? I'm not sure why this stuff seems to be so hard for people to understand.

And better to be a smart ass than a dumbass, I guess.

You never seen the Pens on AT&T and NBC dumbass. So in this instance if it would have been on both channels, he doesn't have ACC Network. He could have washed it dumbass So that's what the difference is.

You understand that that was exactly my point, don't you? He was wondering why the game isn't on AT&T. And it isn't because it's on a different channel. Just like when the Pens are on NBC, they aren't on AT&T. They are on a different channel.

Sometime Pitt games are on AT&T. Sometimes they are on the ACC Network. Sometimes they are on one of the ESPN Channels. In any event, when the game is on one of those channels it isn't on any of the others. Just like when the Pens are on NBC they aren't on AT&T.

Reactions: cease10
You understand that that was exactly my point, don't you? He was wondering why the game isn't on AT&T. And it isn't because it's on a different channel. Just like when the Pens are on NBC, they aren't on AT&T. They are on a different channel.

Sometime Pitt games are on AT&T. Sometimes they are on the ACC Network. Sometimes they are on one of the ESPN Channels. In any event, when the game is on one of those channels it isn't on any of the others. Just like when the Pens are on NBC they aren't on AT&T.

That just happen a couple games ago because I turned on both channels and seen it! Thank you so it does happen!

That just happen a couple games ago because I turned on both channels and seen it! Thank you so it does happen!

You saw a game on the ACC Network and AT&T at the same time? In short, no, you didn't. They are two different entities that broadcasts games under two different contracts. The games that are on the ACC network are NOT syndicated. The games that are syndicated are NOT on the ACC Network. Just like Pens games that are on NBC are NOT on AT&T, and games that are on AT&T are NOT on NBC.

You saw a game on the ACC Network and AT&T at the same time? In short, no, you didn't. They are two different entities that broadcasts games under two different contracts. The games that are on the ACC network are NOT syndicated. The games that are syndicated are NOT on the ACC Network. Just like Pens games that are on NBC are NOT on AT&T, and games that are on AT&T are NOT on NBC.

How you going to tell me what I seen? Let's meet in person and we can discuss it in person.

How you going to tell me what I seen?

Because games that are on the ACC Network are NOT syndicated to stations like AT&T. And vice versa. My god, it's something that people have been bitching about since the beginning of football season. If they were going to show ACC Network games on the RSNs then what would be the purpose of the ACC network? What would be the incentive for any cable/satellite system to pay for the ACC network if the games were going to be available somewhere else?

We can discuss this anywhere you want. You are wrong. You are wrong when you post it on this board, you would still be wrong if you said it at the Pete, you'd be wrong if you said it in a bar (which, come to think of it, if you are in one of those it might explain some things), you'd be wrong if you said it here or there or anywhere.

Because games that are on the ACC Network are NOT syndicated to stations like AT&T. And vice versa. My god, it's something that people have been bitching about since the beginning of football season. If they were going to show ACC Network games on the RSNs then what would be the purpose of the ACC network? What would be the incentive for any cable/satellite system to pay for the ACC network if the games were going to be available somewhere else?

We can discuss this anywhere you want. You are wrong. You are wrong when you post it on this board, you would still be wrong if you said it at the Pete, you'd be wrong if you said it in a bar (which, come to think of it, if you are in one of those it might explain some things), you'd be wrong if you said it here or there or anywhere.

No your wrong for saying I didn't see the Pens on NBC sports Network and on AT&T. I'm right on that But you didn't even see it and saying you're right. How crazy is that?

No your wrong for saying I didn't see the Pens on NBC sports Network and on AT&T. I'm right on that But you didn't even see it and saying you're right. How crazy is that?

I said absolutely nothing at all about NBC Sports Network. I said NBC. You understand that those are two different channels, right? Hockey games on NBC, ALL hockey games on NBC, are NBC exclusive games. Some games on NBCSN are exclusive games, some are not.

In any event, we were talking about Pitt games. And I can tell you with 100% certainty that you did not see a Pitt game on the ACC Network and on AT&T at the same time, just like I can tell you with 100% certainty that you did not see a Penguins game on NBC and AT&T at the same time.

I never a said I seen Pitt on both channels but I did make the mistake and said NBC instead of NBC Sports Network. The point I was trying to make was it would have been nice if Pitt did have a contract with AT&T network Because more people could probably see them who don't have ACC Network. So our wires got crossed because I said NBC and not NBC Network when talking about the Pens that was on me, my bad.

I said absolutely nothing at all about NBC Sports Network. I said NBC. You understand that those are two different channels, right? Hockey games on NBC, ALL hockey games on NBC, are NBC exclusive games. Some games on NBCSN are exclusive games, some are not.

In any event, we were talking about Pitt games. And I can tell you with 100% certainty that you did not see a Pitt game on the ACC Network and on AT&T at the same time, just like I can tell you with 100% certainty that you did not see a Penguins game on NBC and AT&T at the same time.

I don’t have anything constructive to add here. All I will say is I don’t think there is a more time-honored tradition on this board than posters not understanding how sports syndication works (specifically, why ATTSN carries the games they do or WTAE back in the Raycom days). Lucky, it is almost entirely dead in college sports outside of the ACC and will be gone altogether in 3-5 years most likely. By then, you will all have ACCN and your worries will be over.

Last edited:
I never a said I seen Pitt on both channels but I did make the mistake and said NBC instead of NBC Sports Network. The point I was trying to make was it would have been nice if Pitt did have a contract with AT&T network Because more people could probably see them who don't have ACC Network. So our wires got crossed because I said NBC and not NBC Network when talking about the Pens that was on me, my bad.
Pitt is not permitted to have a contract with AT&T Sportsnet Pittsburgh or anyone else for that matter. All ACC schools signed a Grant of Rights to the league. The league makes the TV deals and assigns the networks and game times and the schools live with that gladly.

Yes I know that I was just saying it would be nice if they did because there's always a few guys that don't have the ACCN.
Pitt is not permitted to have a contract with AT&T Sportsnet Pittsburgh or anyone else for that matter. All ACC schools signed a Grant of Rights to the league. The league makes the TV deals and assigns the networks and game times and the schools live with that gladly.

I am not a hockey guy but I do believe NBCSN has exclusive rights to ALL regular season games they show so I think you were hallucinating. It wouldn't seem to make a ton of business sense for NBCSN to show the Pens/Flyers if everyone in Pittsburgh and Philly watched it on ATTSN and Comcast SportsNet Philly. Nobody else in the US would watch it on NBCSN

But it would make sense because it happens and I seen because I watched AT&T network because I didn't want to listen to NBC Sports guys.
I am not a hockey guy but I do believe NBCSN has exclusive rights to ALL regular season games they show so I think you were hallucinating. It wouldn't seem to make a ton of business sense for NBCSN to show the Pens/Flyers if everyone in Pittsburgh and Philly watched it on ATTSN and Comcast SportsNet Philly. Nobody else in the US would watch it on NBCSN

What sense would it make for NBCSN to show a game being offered by local RSNs?

Idk.call them and ask them why it was done and you and Joe can get the answer!
Maybe some of the people who have different cable Don't get the NBC Sports Network. Who knows?

What sense would it make for NBCSN to show a game being offered by local RSNs?
SMF, He is absolutely right. The Tuesday NBCSN games are also broadcast on the local regional sports networks. The caveat is that the NBCSN broadcast is blacked out in the home market. So if you live in Pittsburgh you get it on ATTSN with the Pens announcers and if you live in Boise you can watch it on NBCSN with the national announcers. There are other nights when the NBCSN broadcast is exclusive (Wednesday Night Rivalry, for example).

Reactions: HOF Coach
SMF, He is absolutely right. The Tuesday NBCSN games are also broadcast on the local regional sports networks. The caveat is that the NBCSN broadcast is blacked out in the home market. So if you live in Pittsburgh you get it on ATTSN with the Pens announcers and if you live in Boise you can watch it on NBCSN with the national announcers. There are other nights when the NBCSN broadcast is exclusive (Wednesday Night Rivalry, for example).

OK, that's really weird though. Nobody is going to watch the Penguins outside of Pittsburgh and the market of the team they are playing. Hockey isnt a national sport so NBCSN needs that home market bump.

Didn't really get the sort of thing I was hoping for when I clicked on this thread. But I read the whole thing with a big smile. Nice diversion after a loss.

And the NHL isn't the only league that does it. There are games on the MLB Network that are also shown locally on the RSNs. In fact most of the time the MLB Network simply rebroadcasts one of the teams local broadcasts to the national audience. And of course for years the NFL has shown all games that are on the NFL Network on other stations in the local markets of the teams playing in the games, for instance a Stillers NFL Network game would also be shown on Channel 4 in Pittsburgh at the same time. I don't get the NBA channel, but my guess is that they do the same thing with most of their games as well.

OK, that's really weird though. Nobody is going to watch the Penguins outside of Pittsburgh and the market of the team they are playing. Hockey isnt a national sport so NBCSN needs that home market bump.
250-350,000 viewers is hardly “nobody” and certainly significant enough to make it worth NBC’s while. That range is what NBCN averages on Tuesdays when the games are blacked out on their network in the home market. There was a Pens/Rangers game this year that had 344,000 viewers not counting the Pittsburgh and New York markets. I’m not bragging about NHL ratings, but clearly there are enough diehard hockey fans (like myself) that consume the games to justify NBCSN’s robust game schedule and 90 minutes of pre- and post-game coverage. They do a great job covering the league and obviously profit from it.

There was a Pens/Rangers game this year that had 344,000 viewers not counting the Pittsburgh and New York markets.

The EPL gets better ratings than that on the same channel and doesn't have home team markets in the US

The EPL gets better ratings than that on the same channel and doesn't have home team markets in the US
I was citing a Tuesday mid season regular season game and of course you make that leap. NBCSN’s Wednesday Night hockey has more viewers on average than the average NBCSN audience for EPL. Go look it up. Now, you might say, well one’s in prime time and the other is not. OK, then who do you explain that 3x more viewers watched Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (4.9mm) than your beloved Champions League Final? That is US only and not counting Canada. Heck, even Game 2 of the SCF on NBCSN outdrew the biggest event in the world in the US when both were on cable networks.

Yes, TNT had the CL Final and not a major network like the year before, but hockey’s biggest event outdrew the CL final easily.

You will counter and say big deal because people are more invested in the US or twist it to your liking, but remember your simple claim that English soccer gets better ratings than the NHL.... clearly they do not across the board or head to head with the biggest events.

Last edited:
Is the bulk of the Pittsburgh area adverse to streaming services?

I still say that ALL Duke games are on ESPN and never on ACCN, so their fans that are on Comcast can watch all of their games. Check your guide channel and they always show up on ESPN national tv

I was citing a Tuesday mid season regular season game and of course you make that leap. NBCSN’s Wednesday Night hockey has more viewers on average than the average NBCSN audience for EPL. Go look it up. Now, you might say, well one’s in prime time and the other is not. OK, then who do you explain that 3x more viewers watched Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (4.9mm) than your beloved Champions League Final? That is US only and not counting Canada. Heck, even Game 2 of the SCF on NBCSN outdrew the biggest event in the world in the US when both were on cable networks.

Yes, TNT had the CL Final and not a major network like the year before, but hockey’s biggest event outdrew the EPL final easily.

You will counter and say big deal because people are more invested in the US or twist it to your liking, but remember your simple claim that soccer gets better ratings than the NHL.... clearly they do not across the board or head to head with the biggest events.

I just meant 344 for Pens/Rangers in primetime isnt good. NBCSN is stupid to allow home markets to show those games.

And my contention is that top-level soccer outdraws top-level hockey when you make the variables as even as possible.

The best comparison is regular season EPL vs regular season NHL. Both on NBCSN but EPL is in worse time slots.

And my contention is that top-level soccer outdraws top-level hockey when you make the variables as even as possible.
I will leave you with this. This past year’s Winter Classic had the lowest viewership on NBC in its history this year (just under 2MM viewers). That was mostly due to a less than juicy matchup between Dallas and Nashville. The CL Final 2 years ago on FOX did 2MM viewers in the US. So a regular season matchup between two benign teams that had the worst viewership in history had the same US viewership as the Champions League final with fairly similar variables.

I will look up the viewership for the Sunday NBC Premier League Matches (not the ones on NBCSN but regular NBC) and Sunday NHL on NBC and it will be interesting to see. Both regular season, both at 12:30 on NBC.

I still say that ALL Duke games are on ESPN and never on ACCN, so their fans that are on Comcast can watch all of their games. Check your guide channel and they always show up on ESPN national tv

Well, ESPN is a national brand so that makes sense. ESPN likes to make money.

But Duke has been on ACCN plenty. 9 times actually (5 ACC games) with a potential for 2 more.

I will look up the viewership for the Sunday NBC Premier League Matches (not the ones on NBCSN but regular NBC) and Sunday NHL on NBC and it will be interesting to see. Both regular season, both at 12:30 on NBC.

Yea do that. You cant compare an "event game" like the Winter Classic with the CL Final. The Winter Classic has become almost an American tradition. Even some non-hockey fans watch that.

Typical regular season matches are the best comps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT