ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain to me

Yea do that. You cant compare an "event game" like the Winter Classic with the CL Final. The Winter Classic has become almost an American tradition. Even some non-hockey fans watch that.

Typical regular season matches are the best comps.
And the NHL consistently beats EPL head-to-head if you look at how they perform in the 12:30 ET weekend slot on NBC. Since December, I can find 4 EPL games that aired on NBC at 12:30 ET. The best was Tottenham/Liverpool that did 1.19 million viewers. Very strong, but a-typical from what I see. The 3 December matches averaged around 700,000 viewers, and going back to PL Opening Weekend, the NBC match which had no NFL or college competition did 829,000.

Very consistently, the NHL on NBC broadcasts on weekend afternoons at 12:30 p.m. ET have between 1.05 to 1.2m viewers. This past weekend's, Pens/Capitals game had 1.09m viewers. 2 weeks ago the Pens/Bruins did 1.2m viewers. Even the non-Pittsburgh NHL on NBC matchups beat the EPL on NBC average.

Sources: WorldSoccerTalk.com and SportsMediaWatch.com.

Last edited:
And the NHL consistently beats EPL head-to-head if you look at how they perform in the 12:30 ET weekend slot on NBC. Since December, I can find 4 EPL games that aired on NBC at 12:30 ET. The best was Tottenham/Liverpool that did 1.19 million viewers. Very strong, but a-typical from what I see. The 3 December matches averaged around 700,000 viewers, and going back to PL Opening Weekend, the NBC match which had no NFL or college competition did 829,000.

Very consistently, the NHL on NBC broadcasts on weekend afternoons at 12:30 p.m. ET have between 1.05 to 1.2m viewers. This past weekend's, Pens/Capitals game had 1.09m viewers. 2 weeks ago the Pens/Bruins did 1.2m viewers.

Sources: WorldSoccerTalk.com and SportsMediaWatch.com.
Also, for shots and giggles, I looked up some NBA ratings and they seem to be tanking this year for some reason. This past Saturday's PRIMETIME ABC game had only 1.6 million viewers. So comparing a 12:30 NHL game to an 8 p.m. NBA game, the NHL is doing well on TV.

Also, for shots and giggles, I looked up some NBA ratings and they seem to be tanking this year for some reason. This past Saturday's PRIMETIME ABC game had only 1.6 million viewers. So comparing a 12:30 NHL game to an 8 p.m. NBA game, the NHL is doing well on TV.

That's bad for the NBA but Saturday night is the worst TV time slot out there.

Nice work with the hockey/soccer NBC stuff. It looks to be completely dependent on who is playing. You said Liverpool/Tottenham drew 1.19 which beat the NHL. I would guess any EPL NBC match involving the top EPL teams (MU, MC, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tot, Liv) would outdraw the NBC NHL Game of the Week.

All this said, we are comparing a foreign league with no home US markets and no US players that anyone cares about besides Pulisic to an American-based league which has been here 100 years or so.

I have always said if the US had the world's best soccer league, it would jump over the NBA and MLB for #2 behind the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT