ADVERTISEMENT

Can you honestly name a dumber play/score decision?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
In the history of football?

I can remember the Cowboys not going for 2 late in the game a few years back to tie it. But honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find dumber late game decisions than the FG to cut it to 4 on 4th and 1.

Can anyone think of any at any level?

It’s got to be one of the worst I’ve seen in a long time. Really bizarre.

The Lions once elected to kick off in OT. This in the days where first score wins... FG, TD, any score on that first possession and it’s over. That is literally impossible to top.... ever.

The Lions once elected to kick off in OT. This in the days where first score wins... FG, TD, any score on that first possession and it’s over. That is literally impossible to top.... ever.
True... but this is the worst in Pitt history....with only the swinging gate coming close.

Reactions: Nashville Panther

Well, it was very windy and they chose the end they wanted to defend thinking the other team wouldnt make a long FG. But yea, that one was worse than Narduzzi today but I think you'd be hard pressed to find another.

True... but this is the worst in Pitt history....with only the swinging gate coming close.
I might go swinging gate 1 and then this, but point taken. If I recall, it was like 7-0 (maybe it was 14)... either way just no reason to do anything other than simply kick the PAT.

Although hindsight might be what made that one so bad. Today’s decision was as awful at the time as it is now that the final horn sounded.

Cristobal not kneeling on the ball last year vs Stanford and running out the clock is the worst thing I’ve seen in a decade.

Years ago in what should’ve been a sure win against UNLV the Baylor coach decided to run a play with 8 seconds left and UNLV picked up a fumble and ran it all the way back for the win.

If Narduzzi did either of those I would be for firing him the next day.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
It actually almost worked. The theory was take the “sure” points and get the ball back. Then drive down for a score that WINS instead of tying.

The problem was that the sure points were not sure, and the lower % of getting the TD looks great now because it’s an “unknown” that couldn’t have been any worse.

Don’t get me wrong...I didn’t love it. If you go, you either score and put yourself in position to win with a FG, or you have them backed up at the one. So I absolutely go for it.

But it’s not this historically egregious error. Make the shortest FG ever, and we were likely driving for a winning TD at the end, instead of tying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT