ADVERTISEMENT

Capel II

Yeah - I mean there was a growing rumble to get rid of Duzz 2 years ago —

Capel is one of the highest paid coaches in the ACC— I would hope he realizes fans expect results after 5 years .
Really why do you or any other fan care what he’s getting paid ? Are you funding his salary ? If he was the lowest paid HC in the ACC would that make losing more palatable ?

ps .. for the record their all being grossly overpaid , good job if you get one though !

Really why do you or any other fan care what he’s getting paid ? Are you funding his salary ? If he was the lowest paid HC in the ACC would that make losing more palatable ?

ps .. for the record their all being grossly overpaid , good job if you get one though !
No, if he was the lowest paid Head coach in the ACC he would’ve been fired last year because the buyout would’ve been nothing. Hence, why people care

No, if he was the lowest paid Head coach in the ACC he would’ve been fired last year because the buyout would’ve been nothing. Hence, why people care
The reality is that Pitt gave him the contract they felt they needed to . If he’d have been offered a low ball contract Heather would never have swayed him to come to Pitt . She also felt that the extension was a good idea too . I know what your going to say , guess what , everybody is smarter in hindsight .

ps ..if it was important enough and Pitt wanted him gone it would’ve happened

Last edited:
The reality is that Pitt gave him the contract they felt they needed to . If he’d have been offered a low ball contract Heather would never have swayed him to come to Pitt . She also felt that the extension was a good idea too . I know what your going to say , guess what , everybody is smarter in hindsight .

ps ..if it was important enough and Pitt wanted gone it would’ve happened
Pitt 100 percent wanted him gone. Basketball just isn’t important enough.

And the extension was the worst extension in the history of college hoops, hindsight or not. He was going nowhere, no one wanted him and had he been offered Duke the extension didn’t matter. It was the worst move in the history of college sports.

Reactions: FireballZ

And the extension was the worst extension in the history of college hoops, hindsight or not. He was going nowhere, no one wanted him and had he been offered Duke the extension didn’t matter. It was the worst move in the history of college sports.
Like I said hindsight is 20/20 .

So was foresight… it made zero sense at the time he wasn’t going anywhere.
Churning through 3 coaches in that short of a time is a great way to have nobody worth a damn to look at pitt for a decade

it was done to long term protect the brand because we have an actually competent ad for a change .

you give Capel every opportunity to win.
If he fails - then you eventually move on .

The extension was bad but to be fair, we were in Bracketology at the time and had we made the NCAAT, he would have had offers from programs similar to Pitt. The extension was too early as we lost about every game since the signing.
He wasn’t leaving Pitt at that time for any job but Duke. He was still in love with Pittsburgh and making 3.5 million. He was also there through 2025 already. That’s 6 years. Plenty of time.

And your conflating years. They were 10-4, 1-2 in ACC and had a home loss to Nichols State at the point of the extension. It was an egregious mistake. Borderline fireable.
Churning through 3 coaches in that short of a time is a great way to have nobody worth a damn to look at pitt for a decade

it was done to long term protect the brand because we have an actually competent ad for a change .

you give Capel every opportunity to win.
If he fails - then you eventually move on .
He had 5 seasons left on his deal and wasn’t gonna get another ACC job or another job that wasn’t Duke that would pay more. If he got Duke, he was leaving anyways. Egregious mistake.

Name one job that’s better than Pitt that pays more than 3.5 he could’ve gotten that season had we not extended him. He had zero leverage to get an extension

Reactions: FireballZ
He wasn’t leaving Pitt at that time for any job but Duke. He was still in love with Pittsburgh and making 3.5 million. He was also there through 2025 already. That’s 6 years. Plenty of time.

And your conflating years. They were 10-4, 1-2 in ACC and had a home loss to Nichols State at the point of the extension. It was an egregious mistake. Borderline fireable.

He had 5 seasons left on his deal and wasn’t gonna get another ACC job or another job that wasn’t Duke that would pay more. If he got Duke, he was leaving anyways. Egregious mistake.

Name one job that’s better than Pitt that pays more than 3.5 he could’ve gotten that season had we not extended him. He had zero leverage to get an extension
And yet- we got turned down by our top targets

the only way that the timing of the extension could possibly make sense is if it was a direct result of the NCAA penalties and probation that was announced a few weeks before the extension. Still don’t think it was a smart move, but it being a case of “whoops - turns out we put ourselves on probation to get rid of the last guy and hire you, so here’s an early guaranteed extension to show that we’re not going to screw around with you like we did with the other guy - or, if we screw around with you, it’ll cost us a bundle.”

Year 2, we were in like First Four Out in January. Wins over FSU, Rutgers, someone else decent. I know that doesn't mean much but had we made the NCAAT, he would have had offers. Would he have left? I don't know. Probably not but obviously Heather thought he may have. She probably envisioned us making the NCAAT or getting close and him leaving. Was it a bad extension? Of course. Just saying what she thought

What does that have to do with offering an underserved extension to someone without a winning season and only a 4-17 conference record at that point?
Because they likely reached out to other candidates who told them they are radioactive

or ya know - just assume you know more than actual professionals

Because they likely reached out to other candidates who told them they are radioactive

Lol that certainly didn’t happen.

Do you actually think being a professional in something makes you good at your job? One of the dumbest things posted on this board and @Sean Miller Fan posts here 100x a day

People seem to forget that when Ben left Pitt was loaded and couldn’t lure anyone here and settled for their untested assistant.

Let’s just forget the next guy !

Everyone Pitt wanted after Stallings turned them down , they tried to overpay Hurley and he just used them . Heather pulled JC out of a hat , the search was going very poorly .

No one will argue that extending him at the time they did was premature , but who knows he’d be fired if he wasn’t extended and this roster for the upcoming season appears to be far and away the best roster in yrs and he already has 2 commitments for next yr . If he turns the corner and becomes a winner then the extension will turn out to have been a good thing . We’ll know better in 6 months .

Last edited:
Lol that certainly didn’t happen.

Do you actually think being a professional in something makes you good at your job? One of the dumbest things posted on this board and @Sean Miller Fan posts here 100x a day
I’m saying there are professionals in the athletic department for a change , silly goose
Good gravy -
But yes it’s pretty clear you likewise don’t have to do strategic planning in your professional career

I’m saying there are professionals in the athletic department for a change , silly goose
Good gravy -
But yes it’s pretty clear you likewise don’t have to do strategic planning in your professional career
It’s a shame too. Because the panic and logic to give a 4-17 ACC record coach earning 3.5 million could only be done by a professional.

If Pitt can make a run to the tourney this year, I think everyone would be willing to call this a new era for Capel. But unfortunately it's going to be very hard to expect any kind of consistency anymore given the rate of transfers. He may need to replicate this off-season almost every year. That's a tall ask for any coach outside of the true blue bloods.

Yes, it's time for Capel to show results. I think everyone has a different idea of what "results" means. For me, it's 20 wins minimum and nothing less than an NIT invite, preferably NCAAT. 5 years is enough time for him to be able to get these results. If he can do that, he gets to stay another year. Take it year by year.
With the way college basketball is now, I don't think you will see much consistency except for maybe 10-15 top programs. There's going to be a lot of year to year randomness. A lot of March stories of Team X won 10 games last year and is now in the NCAAT because of all these transfers. Its an entirely new sport. And Capel seems to be doing....well.....pretty good in adjusting but we have to see if he can get this group to win.

With the way college basketball is now, I don't think you will see much consistency except for maybe 10-15 top programs. There's going to be a lot of year to year randomness. A lot of March stories of Team X won 10 games last year and is now in the NCAAT because of all these transfers. Its an entirely new sport. And Capel seems to be doing....well.....pretty good in adjusting but we have to see if he can get this group to win.
Way to many have already given up on Capel. I will throw in the towel if this year goes bad. He has a pretty complete roster this year, much better depth, and clearly better overall talent. Things just might change for the better this year.

After the loss to Butler, I always considered those last 5-6 Dixon years as Dixon II since they were vastly different from the first 9 or so. I am beginning to think, we may have a Capel II coming. After a disappointing first 4 years, he has surprised all of us and has assembled what appears to be a team talented enough to contend for an NCAAT bid.....and that's after coming off 4 bad years and many rumors that this year may be his last. If he does well this year and signs the Top 100s he has committed for next year, it seems like Capel II in some bizarro way will be what we basically expected from Capel I. Maybe Dixon in reverse?

We still have to play the games and it remains to be seen if all of these talented pieces can form a cohesive team but we have a chance. We have a McDish PG coming in and will have 3 6th year seniors at guard along with 5th year senior Burton, one of the best bigs in the nation, a double digit SEC scorer, and some intriguing new players (Diaz twins, Federiko). Dare I say from a "pieces" standpoint, this is the deepest team we've had since Dixon I. Case in point: we all forgot about Cashius McNeilly and Fede Federiko. They appear to be perhaps the 12th and 13th men but McNeilly shot 44% from 3 in JUCO and was formerly on Texas A&M's roster and Federiko previously committed to the 🐐 Bob Huggins. Capel has gone from not having enough major D1 players to having so many that he may not be able to keep them all happy.

I haven't been this excited for Pitt basketball since Capel was hired....and before that probably not since the Steven Adams season.
Weren't you convinced that there's no way he's coming back after next season?

Way to many have already given up on Capel. I will throw in the towel if this year goes bad. He has a pretty complete roster this year, much better depth, and clearly better overall talent. Things just might change for the better this year.
His next challenge is the players not being upset and running to the transfer portal, which has been the case the last few years.

His next challenge is the players not being upset and running to the transfer portal, which has been the case the last few years.
The issue isn’t that some of these players leave for better opportunities to play because that’s just the reality of college ball , it’s whether you can maintain the core of good team .

Dave Bliss asks who is holding his beer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT