ADVERTISEMENT

CBSSports has Pitt v OSU as an upset watch

RaleighPittFan

Assistant Coach
May 12, 2005
No. 9 Oklahoma State at Pitt
When: Saturday, noon ET | Where: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Opening Line: Oklahoma State -10

Why it's listed: I love a good home dog and we haven't featured many of them through the first couple of weeks. Pitt took Oklahoma State down to the final minutes in Stillwater a year ago and this is the first real test for the Cowboys in 2017 -- and it's on the road, no less. Coupled with an early kickoff -- it would be 11 a.m. in Oklahoma -- and a sleepy start wouldn't be all that surprising for the Pokes. On to the matchup: This one should be fun because Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy are tremendous defensive and offensive minds, respectively. It should be a chess match back and forth and second-half adjustments will be key.

Pitt wins if: It can take Oklahoma State receiver James Washington out of the game. No one's done it yet. Overall, the Panthers did a decent job of keep Penn State running back Saquon Barkley contained in Week 2. As he tends to do, though, Barkley eventually broke a few big plays. Washington is that same caliber of playmaker in Oklahoma State's offense and while quarterback Mason Rudolph has a number of capable receivers to whom he can throw, none with the over-the-top, game-breaking ability that Washington possesses. It's a big task, but Narduzzi will want to take away Oklahoma State's best weapon while testing the balance of its running game.

Oklahoma State wins if: It can get to the quarterback. The Pokes had four sacks against South Alabama, and plays like this should worry Pitt. Oh, and the Panthers gave up five sacks to Penn State. Narduzzi is still backing Max Browne, but Ben DiNucci provided a spark against Penn State with his scrambling ability. He might be a better option against Oklahoma State's front four even if he's sprinkled in to keep the defense on its toes.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...lahoma-state-oregon-on-upset-alert-this-week/

Awesome!!! In 2011, when OSU won the Big 12 outright, beat Andrew Luck and Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl and finished third in the AP poll, we were on upset alert by someone in the national media every week, beginning in week three. The only week we weren't on "upset alert?" At Iowa State. We lost.

The following week we were back on upset alert and destroyed Oklahoma in Stillwater!

Given this squad has drawn numerous comparisons to the 2011 team, this bodes well for us. :D

Reactions: paulbl99
Awesome!!! In 2011, when OSU won the Big 12 outright, beat Andrew Luck and Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl and finished third in the AP poll, we were on upset alert by someone in the national media every week, beginning in week three. The only week we weren't on "upset alert?" At Iowa State. We lost.

The following week we were back on upset alert and destroyed Oklahoma in Stillwater!

Given this squad has drawn numerous comparisons to the 2011 team, this bodes well for us. :D

Law of averages is a PITT win..

Reactions: Saboteur
If Pitt can control the time of possession like they did last week and actually finish a few drives I think we win.

If Pitt can control the time of possession like they did last week and actually finish a few drives I think we win.

Time of possession means nothing in college football. Clemson won the time of possession battle last year 34 to 26 minutes. Pitt dominated TOP against Ok State last year and lost.

This one should be fun because Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy are tremendous defensive and offensive minds, respectively. It should be a chess match back and forth and second-half adjustments will be key.

Anyone else get a chuckle out of calling it a chess match because of PN's tremendous defensive mind. Since he's been here, seems like he has been more stubborn than anything with the defense, insisting on doing it his one preferred way instead of adjusting anything based on the personnel he's dealing with or who the opponent is. Last year's OklaSt game was a classic example.

Actually, TOP will be critical against the Cowboys. Our offense this season has two hockey lines of three receivers each. Our HUNH is designed to punish you DBs with endless deep routes. If the receivers are coveed deep, we check down to the slot, an RB out of the backfield, or one of our TE/FB hybrids, who are often open because you LBs mistakes them for a FB that is run blocking.

If you three and out, we have you. You're forced to play gassed starters, or sub in fresh youngsters.

TOP is a must for you to defeat us.

Reactions: Saboteur
From Yahoo! Sports game to keep an eye on.....

"No. 9 Oklahoma State at Pittsburgh (Noon, ESPN): This feels like one of those games that will be close early before the better team pulls away emphatically. Pitt held its own in the trenches in a loss to Penn State, dominating the time of possession and running the ball effectively. With an early start time at home, the Panthers should be able to do the same against Oklahoma State — for a while. In the end, the Cowboys have way too much firepower on offense."

Actually, TOP will be critical against the Cowboys. Our offense this season has two hockey lines of three receivers each. Our HUNH is designed to punish you DBs with endless deep routes. If the receivers are coveed deep, we check down to the slot, an RB out of the backfield, or one of our TE/FB hybrids, who are often open because you LBs mistakes them for a FB that is run blocking.

If you three and out, we have you. You're forced to play gassed starters, or sub in fresh youngsters.

TOP is a must for you to defeat us.
Pitt doesn't have a chance.

Pitt doesn't have a chance.
Of course you have a chance. TeamRankings says that the Cowboys percentage chance of winning the game is 90%. That means you have a 10% chance of winning, which is about the chance that Central Michigan had in beating the Cowboys last year.

Buck up Sally and put a smile on your face. :D

Time of possession means nothing in college football. Clemson won the time of possession battle last year 34 to 26 minutes. Pitt dominated TOP against Ok State last year and lost.

Agree time of possession only matters if teams finish long drives with TD's. Otherwise its a rest for the other teams star players/glorified time out for the offense.

Of course you have a chance. TeamRankings says that the Cowboys percentage chance of winning the game is 90%. That means you have a 10% chance of winning, which is about the chance that Central Michigan had in beating the Cowboys last year.

Buck up Sally and put a smile on your face. :D
Joe Magarac is a nom de plume. In Pittsburgh, Joe Magarac is a fictional steel worker ostensibly representative of the eastern Europeans who worked in the steel mills. My mom's Dad from Hungary was one of them.
But the metaphor has come to represent the perpetually pessimistic sad sac who is stuck in the past, pining for days gone by. It's a timeless narrative because it is true.
Maybe Joe Magarac should cross over into Great Expectations and sweep Miss Havisham off her feet.
Then they can buy a house in Peters township and bask in their success.
Shorter version...Joe Magarac has come to represent the perpetual loser...the guy who plays just hard enough to lose.
It's typical Yinzer mentality and as the saying goes "they are their own worst enemies.".
Pitt wins.

Joe Magarac is a nom de plume. In Pittsburgh, Joe Magarac is a fictional steel worker ostensibly representative of the eastern Europeans who worked in the steel mills. My mom's Dad from Hungary was one of them.
But the metaphor has come to represent the perpetually pessimistic sad sac who is stuck in the past, pining for days gone by. It's a timeless narrative because it is true.
Maybe Joe Magarac should cross over into Great Expectations and sweep Miss Havisham off her feet.
Then they can buy a house in Peters township and bask in their success.
Shorter version...Joe Magarac has come to represent the perpetual loser...the guy who plays just hard enough to lose.
It's typical Yinzer mentality and as the saying goes "they are their own worst enemies.".
Pitt wins.

LOL not a post I ever expected to see on here, but see it I did. Well done.

LOL not a post I ever expected to see on here, but see it I did. Well done.
Thanks rpost3.
Rare is the opportunity to intertwine "nom de plume" and Miss Havisham with Joe Magarac. It was a chance I refused to permit to escape my grasp.
I love Pitt and I despise people who lose before they enter the fray. For people who project their "life sucks" outlook on my beloved Panthers, I pray they spend eternity listening to Jay Paterno make excuses for the inexcusable.
H2P

Reactions: rpost3
From Yahoo! Sports game to keep an eye on.....

"No. 9 Oklahoma State at Pittsburgh (Noon, ESPN): This feels like one of those games that will be close early before the better team pulls away emphatically. Pitt held its own in the trenches in a loss to Penn State, dominating the time of possession and running the ball effectively. With an early start time at home, the Panthers should be able to do the same against Oklahoma State — for a while. In the end, the Cowboys have way too much firepower on offense."
Big reason that its on the upset watch is there are a bunch of crappy games this weekend! There are only 2 games with top 25 teams playing each other. Add in that most teams are playing Georgia ST type teams this week means there aren't many games that have a chance at being close.

I'm looking forward to seeing what adjustments they make on defense and what is done to add some juice to the offense. Even if Pitt limits OSU today, they're still going to have to put up some serious points.

So, who won the ToP battle this weekend? Can we start to let go of this myth?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT